Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Comp Swap VI - The Reviews

Go down 
+12
Olafsto
exact33
Required Fields
A Handful of Wayne
SideShowDisaSter
Shiney
kmorg
DallasBlack
manny
rattpoison
tohostudios
SAHB Healer
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

Comp Swap VI - The Reviews Empty
PostSubject: Comp Swap VI - The Reviews   Comp Swap VI - The Reviews Icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2008 7:39 pm

Comp from Shiney- October 08

Chyld- Traveler
This is a fairly heavy song from an 80's indie band from PA. The vocals are very helium, and the guitars high also so the song has a lighter feel despite the heaviness.
Dax Riggs- I Forgot I was Alive
A driving sleazy rock song by the former vocalist of Acid Bath.
Drag The River- Medicine
A very dark song about alcohol. Kind of alternative country
The Drones- Shark Fin Blues
Starts out sound almost like Dylanesque folk, but the vocals and guitars build in intensity and it's actually a fairly heavy song. Really excellent. Listening to these comps can lead a guy to spend lots of money.
Felice Brothers-Frankie's Gun
Sound clearly based on The Band. This is an insanely catchy song. Just sticks in your head forever. Little or no guitar that I can hear. Wonderful interplay between keyboard and accordian(!)
Fleet Foxes- White Winter Hymnal
Very bizzare lyrics about blood on the snow. This reminds me of some of the lighter songs on some of my old 60's pysch albums. Built on vocal harmonies. I wouldn't want a whole album of songs like this, but on the old albums they provided a nice twist and interlude between heavier songs. A good song.
Happy Revolvers- Tonight
An excellent heavy sleazy punk song. The added attractions are female backing vocals and the fact that the band is Scandinavian!
Interpol- Evil
Built on an REM type sound, but the instumentation is much heavier. This is a great song, one of the best on this comp. High quality alt/pop. Shiney is spending more of my money here.
Nails- 88 lines about 44 Women
A vehicle for clever lyrics, the music isn't much. 80's "college" radio type stuff.
9 Pound Hammer- Too Sorry to smurf poo
A tongue in cheek cowpunk song from Nashville kitten members.
The North Atlantic- Scientist Girl
An indie punk song, pretty good. "Never trust a scientist girl". Uh...my ex-wife was and is a working scientist. I'm not making this up. She was a Biochemical Engineeer but now she is a Dr. of Veteranary Pathology. Don't worry, it's all ok now. Wink
Rasputina- Wish You Were Here
Three women with cellos cover Pink Floyd. I know that sounds like a novelty song but it really isn't. They make the song their own and it's a good one. Great female vocal harmonies.
Satanicide- Heather
A mock ballad, but actually a great song. Lots of thump, and beautiful short guitar and harp solos. Blues harp that is. "tell me what I've gotta do to get into your leather, Heather". I really like this song.
Shooter Jennings- Aviators
Tongue in cheek county song by Waylon's son. Of the sentiments of "put another log on the fire, mama", more or less. Nice slide. There are three funny county songs on this comp, this is the best one.
Skate The Razor-Jackknife
Slower metalic song with nice guitar work. Has an odd but catchy chorus.
Spiders- School Night Out
Kind of a neo- Buzzcocks sounding song with a simple, heavy, but unorthodox riff that I like a lot. A great punk song.
Suicide Twins- Sweet Pretending
Kind of a sleazy take on 60's girl pop duets I guess. Except one of the girls seems to be Andy McCoy from Hanoi Rocks.
Wildhearts- Miles Away Girl
This is right up my creek. Perfect power pop on this song, although I understand that the band is diverse in both lighter and heavier directions. Surprisingly hard to find from my sources. I ordered some of their stuff, but what I really wanted was the three disc set "The Works". Couldn't find it from a reliable source at a decent price. This band should be more famous than they are in the USA. That happens sometimes, but I guarantee you that they will be legends of one sort or another when all is said and done. Sometimes it takes time, but these guys are quality.
Woodbox Gang- Annnie Dyhhde
Closes with another county humor song, pretty funny.

Thanks Shiney!
My faves on the comp in order:
Wildhearts
Interpol
Drones
Felice Brothers
Satanicide
Spiders
Happy Revolvers
Skate The Razor

I hope not too many of them are expensive Ebay rarities. Good stuff.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VI - The Reviews   Comp Swap VI - The Reviews Icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2008 7:50 pm

Quote :

Wildhearts rule! For their newer stuff, check out Riff After Riff.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VI - The Reviews   Comp Swap VI - The Reviews Icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2008 10:45 pm

tohostudios wrote:
Quote :

Wildhearts rule! For their newer stuff, check out Riff After Riff.

I plan on buying most of their discography.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VI - The Reviews   Comp Swap VI - The Reviews Icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2008 11:43 pm

Great comp Shiney sent ya Sahb....

See my pestering had some weight behind it in regards to the Wildhearts....how did the US miss the boat with them and their UK buddies the Manic Street Preachers in the early 90's.

Also Shark Fin Blues is probably the greatest Australian song ever, and the album it's off Wait Long By The River And The Bodies Of Your Enemies Will Float By (2005) is close to the best record to come from here imo.

Loud, heavy and discordant and also sparse, expansive and atmospheric.....the best piece of 'Australiana' since the Triffids classic Born Sandy Devotional.

Of course i could be biased....my cousin's husband used to be their drummer. But it is rated, was the only record from the last 10 years to make a recent list of the greatest 20 Australian albums ever as picked by critics, record store owners, venue operators, promotors and other music industry people. Still the public haven't caught on....suffering the infamous cultural cringe.
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VI - The Reviews   Comp Swap VI - The Reviews Icon_minitimeThu Oct 30, 2008 2:54 am

rattpoison wrote:
Wildhearts....how did the US miss the boat with them and their UK buddies the Manic Street Preachers in the early 90's.

I thought about this a lot when I was listening to this, and while I was ordering their discs. We all get frustrated when our favorite bands don't get thier due, but sometimes it takes a long time. Lots of my favorite "underground" bands from the 70's ended up being legends to some degree, and several of them are now household names. I'm not saying that there's justice in the world or anything, but sometimes quality just can't be hidden. I think The Wildhearts may get thier due eventually. Sometimes it actually happens.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VI - The Reviews   Comp Swap VI - The Reviews Icon_minitimeThu Oct 30, 2008 6:58 am

Quote :
Of course i could be biased....my cousin's husband used to be their drummer.

Wow, that means that you almost aren't even related. Smile
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VI - The Reviews   Comp Swap VI - The Reviews Icon_minitimeThu Oct 30, 2008 8:52 am

The Wildhearts I had never heard of them til I started buying " Classic Rock Magazine" an imported magazine from the United Kingdom, and they love of them over there, I heard a couple of tracks from The Wildhearts Vs The Earth, and I loved it. Ginger is considered to be a demented songwriting genius of sorts in the UK. I will eventually get around to buying these guys catalog but they are not easy to find at a reasonable price.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VI - The Reviews   Comp Swap VI - The Reviews Icon_minitimeThu Oct 30, 2008 8:59 am

The newer releases are easy to find and cheap. You can get Riff After Riff from Amazon zShops for $2.65 used.

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VI - The Reviews   Comp Swap VI - The Reviews Icon_minitimeThu Oct 30, 2008 9:03 am

In fact, I just ordered a three disc retrospective that was only $16

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VI - The Reviews   Comp Swap VI - The Reviews Icon_minitimeTue Nov 04, 2008 1:54 am

Seduce-Any Time Or Place
The first in many good ol' 80s hard rock on this comp. Never heard of these guys before but I like what I hear. 3.5/5

Rainbow-Death Valley Driver
Never heard this song before but being only real famiiar with the Dio-era, thats no real suprise. I do know a few of their 80s songs and know they are a very capable meldoic rock band. This song (which brings to mind many classic rock bands of the 70s) lets me know that I need more Rainbow albums. Of course the highlight is the guitar solo from the legendary Blackmore. 4/5

Masquerade-Gimme All Your Loving
More awesome 80s melodic rock (though I uderstand they were from the early 90s). Love the vocalist on this. 5/5

Night Ranger-Seven Wishes
Only being familiar with later albums and various radio hits, Night Ranger is a band whose albums I need. Judging from this song Seven Wishes should be the first I seek. This song is probably my favorite of these. 5/5

Journey-Spaceman
I am only faimliar with the later pop rock hits of Journey and only partially understood the hatred for these guys. Hearing a pre-Perry song I now fully understand, it's pactically a whole other band. Good 70's style prog rock and another band I need to explore further. This particular song has an Elton John vibe to it (in the piano part anyways). Kick arse guitar solos. 4/5

Hurricane-Take Me In Your Arms
Another 80s melodic rock band I am not familiar with. Again awesome song that makes me want more. 4/5

Genesis-Watcher Of The Skies
Being one of the father's of a style of prog rock I really enjoy, I should be more familiar with Gabriel era Genesis than I am. I first heard this song on a Genesis tribute album (a very good one, I might add, that I want to re-capture one of these days). I actually prefer the cover but without this that song would not exist and it is definatly not a bad song and now that I have gotten used to Peter Gabirel's old voice (thanks to Fish era Marillion) I know that I need to further explore classic Genesis. 4/5

Deep Purple-Bad Attitude
I'm only familiar with a few radio hits of this legendary band unfortunatly. However, they are on a long list of other bands I'm mildly familiar with that I want to explore further. 3.5/4

Twilightning-At The Forge
The first song on this comp to feature classic metal (hard to believe they were formed in the late 90s) and while I am not familiar with these guys (actually never heard of them), believe me, I will be. Awesome is the only word I can use to describe this. 5/5

Damien-Possession
When searching for some cool metal wallpapers for my computer, I saw an album cover from these guys but couldn't find any samples of them (or much on them period) so I forgot them. Now that I have a sound to put to the name, what we got here is some good classic metal from the decade of greatness (80s). 4/5

Saga-Amnesia
Now I find this music a little on the strange side and at first didn't know what to make of them. 80s style prog rock meets The Cars is what I ended up thinking of them. Starange but very interesting. I will keep an eye out for these guys. 3.5/5

Manitou-The State Of Mind
Power metal (yes, the real kind) mixed with some slight prog elements that makes my head move involunarily. This is another awesome band that is like Brainstorm w/o keys and higher vocals at points. 5/5

Desperado-See You At Sunrise
First time I heard this I immediatly liked it. Good 80s style melodic rock, the kind I absolutly love (I had no idea music like this was still around in '96-pleasant suprise). Now that I know that Dee Dee Snider is the vocalist is like icing on the cake (Twisted Sister is another band I need to hear more of). I like the Old West feel to this song. 4/5

Action-Cinderella
Very poppy, keyboard soaked melodic hard rock that should turn any true metalhead away. Not the case with me because fortunatly I love this kind of music. This is practically tied with Seven Wishes as my favorite on this comp. 5/5

King Kobra-Second Thoughts
Up til now, I only knew King Kobra as the band whose vocalist became a transformer (for you young 'uns, that is a Beavis and Buttheads mispronunciation of transexual). I had heard one song but that was it. Once again this is good 80s melodic rock that puts a smile on my face (I'm not sure I've ever heard any that I didn't like). 4/5

Obsession-For The Love Of Money
Awesome classic metal in the vein of Savatage and Armegeddon. Another in a long line of awesome songs that put these guys on my wantlist. 4/5

Shok Paris-Streets Of Pleasure
Another classic metal band. The vocalist has a unique sound that sets this apart from many classic bands I've heard. A good end to an awesome comp from our Spec. 4/5

Awesome comp Spec, my only hope is you enjoyed the one I sent you at least half as much as I yours. We may disagree on politics, the greatness of America, and modern metal but one thing you and I do have in common is a love of 80s hard rock. headbanger
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VI - The Reviews   Comp Swap VI - The Reviews Icon_minitimeTue Nov 04, 2008 11:22 am

Made a new topic for it Very Happy

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VI - The Reviews   Comp Swap VI - The Reviews Icon_minitimeTue Nov 04, 2008 11:27 am

Quote :
Twilightning-At The Forge
The first song on this comp to feature classic metal (hard to believe they were formed in the late 90s) and while I am not familiar with these guys (actually never heard of them), believe me, I will be. Awesome is the only word I can use to describe this.

Twilightening get real iffy after that one IMO. And their butchery of the English language only gets worse.

And that Hurricane album was a holy grail for years until it was reissued earlier this year.

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VI - The Reviews   Comp Swap VI - The Reviews Icon_minitimeTue Nov 04, 2008 6:16 pm

OK, my turn. Here's my review of the Comp Dallas sent me:

1. Voices of Destiny - Axxis
2. Doom Of Destiny - Axxis
The first track is a cool but short symphonic intro to track two. I really dig the music on these two tracks. Sort of a mix of symphonic and straight up metal. Unfortunately, something about the singer's voice really annoys me. Too nasally or something. Great songs but they need a different singer IMO.

3. Mr. Wolfe - Pallas
What a different track this is! It starts like something Henry Mancini would write for the Peanuts cartoons - which is cool in my book. Then it morphs into a dark, brooding piece of prog metal. I would like this one a lot more if it didn't have the spoken word section in the middle. But even with that, I'm impressed enough with this song to check out more from this band.

4. Warm Wet Circles - Marillion
This one just isn't my thing. Reminds me of Phil Collins-era Genesis which is a sound I don't like at all. I guess it has a nice melody but the style just isn't my bag.

5. Ghost In Dreamland - Mostly Autumn
This one was a surprise. I'm not sure what I was expecting based on the band name but what I got was a darker version of Visions Of Atlantis. I really like this singer's voice and the music is in the vein of early Nightwish, VoA or Within Temptation. Another one I will check out some more.

6. Looking For You - Khymera
I have an earlier Khymera disc (Steve Walsh on vox I think) and this is better than anything on that one. Catchy, AOR hard rock.

7. Virus - Thunderstone
A recurring theme on this comp was Dallas picking bands I have something by but not the songs he picked. This is another example. Nice power metal with lyrics which I think put forth a cautionary tale. Decent song.

8. Edge of Thorns - Savatage
This is the one song on the comp that I already have. And a great song it is too. Had I not heard this one previously, I'd have immediately begun looking for the CD.

9. Fools Never Die - Nocturnal Rites
This is a great song. I have four NR discs but the only one I really like is The 8th Sin. I need to check this album out.

10. Skin Game - Arena
This is a weird song. Strange melody line. Too proggy for my tastes.

11. Viper - Amaran's Plight
This is a disc I've toyed with getting ever since it came out. DC Cooper on vocals and Gary Wehrkamp from Shadow Gallery. I was afraid that it might be too proggy for me but if this is an example, I'll be getting this disc. I loved this song!

12. Loser - Ayreon
I've tried to like Arjen Lucassen's project but I generally find it too keyboard driven and proggy. I like this song however. It has a nice, Celtic-type vibe (is that a didgeridoo at the beginning?) and a coherent enough melody that it stays memorable. Even the screaming/growling didn't bother me. Good song.

13. Heal You - Circle II Circle
Another entry in the "bands I have but not this album" category. I have "Watching In Silence" and while I've always loved Zak Stevens voice, I found the songwriting on CIIC to be too proggy and not memorable enough. This song falls into that same line of thinking. It's not bad but it's just not as memorable as Zak's songs with Savatage.

14. Battle Of Heaven - Stairway
This one is good, straightforward metal. I liked it but it's sort of generic. Also, is that the proper title for the song? Sounds like it should be "Servant Of The King" since that's repeated at the end of the chorus.

15. I'll Hate You Better - Suicidal Tendencies
This was the only track I couldn't finish. This band is just not listenable IMO.

16. Two Thousand Down - Kerry Livgren
I used to have several Kerry Livgren albums on vinyl but I don't think this song was on any of them. I enjoy the laid back feel of this one. Good song.

17. Chasing Shadows - Empire
Yet another band I have a cd by (I think the one I have has "Raven" in the title). The one I have bored me but I like this. Hopefully this is a later album and the band has improved.

So, good job Dallas. Your comp gave me several bands I want to check out. And isn't that the goal of this comp swap project?

Goal achieved!

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VI - The Reviews   Comp Swap VI - The Reviews Icon_minitimeTue Nov 04, 2008 6:46 pm

Nice cheese guys. Cheese is good!
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VI - The Reviews   Comp Swap VI - The Reviews Icon_minitimeTue Nov 04, 2008 6:52 pm

The only thing better than cheese is cheese/sleaze!

I so want to put together a comp with stuff like Gemini 5, Backyard Babies, Hardcore Superstar, Bullet, Wig Wam, etc, etc.

The only problem is I don't think anyone here is into that stuff as much as I am.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VI - The Reviews   Comp Swap VI - The Reviews Icon_minitimeTue Nov 04, 2008 8:23 pm

tohostudios wrote:

I so want to put together a comp with stuff like Gemini 5, Backyard Babies, Hardcore Superstar, Bullet, Wig Wam, etc, etc.

The only problem is I don't think anyone here is into that stuff as much as I am.

Shiney has no boundaries when it comes to that stuff. lol!
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VI - The Reviews   Comp Swap VI - The Reviews Icon_minitimeWed Nov 05, 2008 2:17 am

tohostudios wrote:

Seriously. If you make that comp make sure and send me a copy. I'm very curious about several of those bands.
Back to top Go down
Shiney
Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

Number of posts : 3487

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VI - The Reviews   Comp Swap VI - The Reviews Icon_minitimeWed Nov 05, 2008 10:19 am

uh-hum...I AM the biggest cheese sleaze hound on this board....Toho!!

But I do need a VP, and would be honored for you to be it... Very Happy

SAHB, I need to review the comp you sent me, I like it, but am not familiar with any of these artists enough to differentiate one from another...But I do like that preening pomy sweet glam slam....

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VI - The Reviews   Comp Swap VI - The Reviews Icon_minitimeWed Nov 05, 2008 10:31 am

Shiney wrote:
uh-hum...I AM the biggest cheese sleaze hound on this board....Toho!!

But I do need a VP, and would be honored for you to be it... Very Happy

SAHB, I need to review the comp you sent me, I like it, but am not familiar with any of these artists enough to differentiate one from another...But I do like that preening pomy sweet glam slam....

I accept the VP nomination. Especially since it's only been in the past year or so that I realized glam/sleaze is my favorite genre. But I've gone nuts buying the stuff since that epiphany.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VI - The Reviews   Comp Swap VI - The Reviews Icon_minitimeWed Nov 05, 2008 10:49 am

I just sent out my comps to Spec, Required Fields, and Phoenix, I hope you gentlemen aren't too disappointed, I have over 3000 CDS but I really don't have that many obsure bands, so I put in deep cuts from alot of the more famous artist, I am looking forward to their opinions.
Back to top Go down
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4607

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VI - The Reviews   Comp Swap VI - The Reviews Icon_minitimeThu Nov 06, 2008 9:03 pm

Sorry kmorg, but it will be Saturday before I get your comp discs out. I tried to do it last Saturday, but things life conspired against me.

I think you'll be pleased. I dug deep in hopes of hitting you with stuff you had never heard before (many I doubt you've even heard OF). 3 discs in total.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VI - The Reviews   Comp Swap VI - The Reviews Icon_minitimeThu Nov 06, 2008 9:49 pm

Shiney wrote:

Sorry I didn't give you more background on those oldies. If it helps I just PMed you more info. But feel free to take your time on this bro.
Back to top Go down
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4607

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VI - The Reviews   Comp Swap VI - The Reviews Icon_minitimeSat Nov 08, 2008 5:54 pm

Comps are on the way Kurt!

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VI - The Reviews   Comp Swap VI - The Reviews Icon_minitimeSun Nov 09, 2008 5:48 am

I'm still making yours, Ben. I had to buy more blank Cd's first. Very Happy

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VI - The Reviews   Comp Swap VI - The Reviews Icon_minitimeMon Nov 10, 2008 5:24 am

The Poodles-Seven Seas

This is some awesome metal right here. With their name I was expecting a glam metal band of some sort. However, what I got was a slab of classic metal inspired music. There is a small smathering of glam metal but I would in no way call this that. If the rest of the music is like this, then I must get me some. 4/5

Sabaton-Metal Crue

Some more classic sounding metal here. The difference is the vocalist who sounds unlike any other I've heard in this genre. Deep and rough not high or screechy and the music is awesome (I know I over use this word but I can't think of any other word for something this good). 5/5

To/Die/For/-Live In You

Here we veer into goth metal territory. This is a very good song and has some later Sentenced sound to my ears, though with a vocalist that has a clean sound instead of raspy. Another top notch song and a band to be on the lookout for. 4.5/5

Sideburn-Sell Your Soul

Here we have a good ol' rock & roll song in the vein of AC/DC. Nothing origional but enjoyable none the less. 3.5/5

Diablo Swing Orchestra-Wedding March For A Bullet

Very unusual song right here with operatic vocals and slightly orchestrated metal. I like it though, it has a sort of gen e say qua. Don't know what the rest of their music sounds like but this has piqued my interest. 4/5

69 Eyes-Los Angeles

Back into goth metal here though with punk sensibilities. I like the singers dark deep voice like a cross between Peter Steele, John Morrison, and Glen Danzig. Another band I must ivestigate further. 4/5

Silent Force-Walk The Earth

This band I am very familiar with seeing as they are the main vehicle for prog metal vocalist extraordinaire, DC Cooper. However, I've only recently gotten into them and the only album I have is The Empire Of Future. I like the album but I haven't listened to it much due to it being a little generic. Being their debut I have plans to explore them further. This song gives me high hopes. 4.5/5

Barefoot Servants-Box Of Miracles

We leave metal here for a slab of blues based rock n' roll. I'd group this with alternative country or sothern rock. Sort of like Black Crows with a different vocalist. Good stuff. 3.5/5

David Readman-Without You

This is some great melodic hard rock, a genre I have become incresingly into as of late. This I understand is from the current vocalist for PC69, another band I need to explore further. If I can find his CD I will not hesitate to pick it up. 4.5/5

Gotthard-The Other Side Of Me

I have recently become familiar with this great melodic hard rock band (from this very message board). These guys seem like their on top of this genre and I know that I must get more of these guys. 4.5/5

Lynman-Enemy

Back to good ol' blues based hard rock. Nothing origional but still a very enjoyable song. Unfortunatly I can't find much on the internet about these guys so I don't know where to start with them. 4/5

Blackmore's Night-Play Minstrel Play

Renaissance music at it's finest. This seems like it would be a great fit in the middle ages (that is not a shot, I am being serious). I understand that they use electric guitar so I'm sure this is only a small taste of what this has to offer. BTW, Blackmore can play the hell out of an acoustic guitar as well as the electric guitar. Also the flute player is quite amazing as well. 3.4/5

Lechery-What Burns In Their Eyes

Back to basics classic metal right here. This is another band that doesn't offer anything new but origionality does not matter when the music is this good. I will be on the lookout for these guys. 4/5

Kiuas-Accross The Snows

Opens with a man walking through snow before an acoustic guitar and flute intro before breaking out into pure power metal in the vein of Brainstorm. I really enjoy the middle-end part where they break into their native language of finnish (an awesme language IMO) and move into black metal territory with awesome blast beats before slowing down to end the way it began. I must get more of these guys for sure. 5/5

The Dogma-She Falls On Her Grave

Operatic opening gives me a promise of things to come. This sounds like awesome goth inspired symphonic power/prog metal. Another band with a misleading name but suprisingly awesome music. 5/5

Satyrian-Invictus

What we got her is yet another band in a long line of symphonic goth metal bands. This is a genre that I know seems cut and paste but when done right I can't get enough of this style. Like punk and thrash fans, my love for this style of music (along with classic metal, melodic hard rock, power metal, euro-power metal, progressive metal, goth metal, and melodic metal) is irrational and never ending. It's a curse not being picky about my music (life would be so much easier if I was rich). 4.5/5

Less Than Jake-Is This Thing On?

I never looked into this band before thinking they were another in a long line of modern bands that bore me. This band is not something I normally listen to for sure but it's better than I thought it would be. Reminds me a lot of All Star United, a band I really enjoy (though ASU's lyics are better IMO). Slight punk like Britpop that I coul enjoy from time to time. I'm sure I could find their albums at a decent price used. 3.5/5

Michael Monroe-Dead, Jail Or Rock N' Roll

Here we go with some more straight up rock n' roll. This time more along the lines of Aerosmith. There is nothing fancy here just melodic, raw, and pure hard rock (the way it should be). A nice way to end a great comp. 4/5

Great comp Toho, nothing disapointing. Some decent, some good, and some great. You have added to my never ending list of artists to be on the look out for.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap VI - The Reviews   Comp Swap VI - The Reviews Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Comp Swap VI - The Reviews
Page 1 of 6Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next