Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews

Go down 
+11
SideShowDisaSter
Dave the Boss
Orion Crystal Ice
DallasBlack
MetalGuy71
thejokeriv
Olafsto
manny
tohostudios
A Handful of Wayne
kmorg
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews Empty
PostSubject: COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews   COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews Icon_minitimeSun Mar 14, 2010 11:09 am

So let's see what we got this time!

Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews   COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews Icon_minitimeSun Mar 14, 2010 1:43 pm

Ok had some time to listen to Jokers cd's. I found some cool stuff. Unfortunetly I didn't like everything, but thats the whole reason for these things right? To learn what other people like and maybe pick something up from eachother. What I did like though I will be on the look out for in my shopping extravaganzas haha.

As always I'm a horrible reviewer, but I do my best. So here is it.

CD 1
1. Astral Doors- New Revelation: I started liking this song from the beginning. Typical power metal type stuff sort of reminds me a little of Tarot. The vocalist even has similarities but after hearing him more throughout the song the vocals are what turned me off. The music is cool but I wasn't crazy about the vocals.

2. Sacred Warrior- Ware Torn Hero: I had a few cds of these guys but I ended up trading them off because nothing was really getting my attention. This song is ok but again like the other stuff I heard this band just doesn't do it for me. I don't know why either. I like the vocalist, maybe the music is just to plain for me.

3. Galactic Cowboys- You Make Me Smile: I remember seeing their videos on Headbangers Ball and I would always hate them haha. I guess I just wasn't into their sound at the time who knows, but hearing this song now I really liked it and I will be adding them to my want list. Cool stuff!

4. Shout- In Your Face: The music reminds me a little of Pretty Maids and the Vocalist is similar to Jeff Scott Soto but as a whole it just doesn't do it for me. Its a little to cheese 80's sounding. Not that I'm against Cheese 80's music this is just a little too over the top, bad song on a 80's soundtrack sounding to me.

5. Hirax- Bleed For Me: Own all the Hirax stuff. Great Song!

6. Black Flag- Rise Above: Just started getting into them. I bought this cd first since supposedly its their best one and voted one of the all time favorites of any band. (dont remember where I saw that, probably some magazine) A friend used to really like this band a lot back in high school so when I bought this it brought back some memories. Cool Song and album!

7. Dead Kennedys- Bleed For Me: Don't own any DK cd's but I've been wanting to. After hearing this song I will be doing that shortly. Jellos voice is something to be desired but I'll get passed that haha. Anyone hear they will be reuniting without Jello as singer?

8. Mago De Oz- Satania: Skyclad or even Elvenking are better and they speak english. Some people I know like this band, but I dont see why. Sorry Joker hahaha

9. Dream Theater- Comfortably Numb: I love Dream Theater and I love Queensryche (Geoff Tate is doing a guest spot), but oh my god this is brutal. First off I hate Pink Floyd. Second The performance is just horrible. They both sound off key at the chorus. James Labrie is either good or bad live he's never always good. This song he is bad!....ugh....so hard to listen to...

10. Changall Guevara- If It All Comes True: Ok finally something I like. Reminds me a little of the Gin Blossoms in a way. Maybe the Tamborine. I don't like the Gin Blossoms but I like these guys I'll have to look more into them.

11. The Connells- Fun And Games: Another cool band. Also a little like the last band. Im thinking they sound a little like The Church, but I could be thinking of the wrong band. Either way I like this one too.

12. Dada- Dim: I've seen this bands cd's around and it always reminded me of Alice Coopers album called Dada. Definetly has nothing to do with Alice Cooper haha, but its decent none the less. Again like the last couple of bands. Not metal but I guess pop rock?

13. Stone Gods- Don't Drink The Water: Ok I won't, but you can't tell me what to do! jeeez...The song is kind of a punk/hard rock song I guess but i'm not crazy about it. Stupid Chorus haha

14. Icarus Witch- Black Candles: Again another band I know some friends listen to but nothing tickles my fancy. I especially don't like the vocals.

15. The Sword- The White Sea: This is an instrumental. The music is cool, but most of it is the same sounding riff used over and over. Nothing new but the way the music sounds itself is cool. Would have liked to hear the vocalist. The music reminds me and sounds a lot like Grand Magus. So if you haven't heard them definetly check them out.

16. Therapy?- Screamager: My friend recently got into these guys and he makes me listen to this song all the time haha. Its an ok song but I don't like the vocalist. He's too weak sounding for the music or something but I do know that is the main reason I don't like this band.

17. The Cure- End: Never really liked The Cure except for that one song that is always played on the radio. After hearing this song I still feel the same. I like that one song but I guess that could be about it.

CD 2
1. Taking Dawn- Like A Revolution: The song is ok, but like a lot of songs on these comps I don't really like the vocalist. Am I too picky? hahaha The music is heavy though. A little too radio metal for me similar to Nickleback but not as bad. I'd but this cd if I liked the song a little more.

2. Recon- Behind Enemy Lines: I thought this was Steel Prophet at first. I think I like this one, I'm not sure yet but I do like Steel Prophet and this is really close to them even the vocals. Cool song!

3. Meliah Rage- History Will Tell: I've heard of these guys just not the music. Reminds me a little of newer Megadeth. Not a bad song I'd like to hear some more though. Not too crazy about the vocals but they aren't that bad where I couldn't get used to them. I like the music.

4. Iron Maiden- Crossed Eyed Mary: I own this. I liked it when I first heard it a looooong time ago now I'm sick of it. Its one of the better Maiden covers though.

5. Steel Panther- Party All Day: These guys would be awesome if they did real songs, but the problem with this is, its funny for a few minutes then it gets old.

6. Joshua- Crying Out For Love: Sounds like an Yngwie Malmsteen song from the 80's. I like 80's Yngwie but not crazy about this one.

7. Sonata Arctica- The Last Amazing Grays: Since we both put this song on eachothers comps I guess we both like it haha.

8. Michael Sweet- All This And Heaven Too: Whoa... really? Next song.

9. Sponge- Molly: Skip.. Next song. BTW I did listen to these songs no matter how bad I found them out to be haha.

10: Violent Femmes- Blister In The Sun: First you put a cover of a Pink Floyd Song, Then You put a Sponge song on one of my comps, and now you go and put this on here too.... What were you thinking? Were you thinking at all? LOL! I HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATE THIS SONG! hahahaha

11. Live- Heaven: Not a bad song. Its always on the radio. Not a Live fan but occasionally they have a decent song or two.

12. Rob Rock- Slayer Of Souls: This is a little better. Getting back into the power metal stuff. Its a decent song. I always heard of Rob Rock just never the music. Its pretty good. I'd like to hear more.

13. Pagan's Mind- Dimension Of Fire: Awesome band. They do a great cover of King Diamonds At The Graves. You definetly need to hear it if you haven't. This is a great song too!

14. Mastedon- Right Hand: I thought this was the metal band at first then I noticed it was spelled with an E. What happens if you spell this bands name with an O and the other with an E? Do either one of them have better songs after doing so?....sigh....

15. Bride- Silence Is Madness: Not crazy about this song...

16. Mastodon- Oblivion: See Mastedon ^

17. Saint- The War Is Over: Very 80's sounding hard rock song. Wasn't crazy about this one.

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews   COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews Icon_minitimeSun Mar 14, 2010 1:56 pm

You don't like Nils Patrik Johannson of Astral Doors? Guess you don't like Dio then either.

And The Connells are much closer to Gin Blossoms than The Church. The albums "Fun & Games" and "Ring" are pretty solid but their other stuff is rather iffy.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews   COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews Icon_minitimeSun Mar 14, 2010 2:08 pm

Spec's comp was excellent and very diverse:

Pat Travers-Hooked On
Music (live)-Never really heard more than a handful of his songs when I
was growing up so I am not very familiar with Pat Travers career. The
song itself is your standard blues influenced rock of the 70's which is
not a bad thing. What I really liked about the song was the guitar
solo, Travers transforms what could have been a run of a mill rock by
numbers song to an interesting number.

White Sister-A Place In
The Heart-Unlike alot of my friends I did not sell pop/hair/melodic
metal down the river when I got into thrash, jazz, grunge and
alternative. I always there was room for all sorts of music. This
melodic metal band that I never heard of, but this was a great melodic
rock song with more than a few pop hooks. Like most bands out of this
genre the guitarist was outstanding.

Rez-Military Man- I
believe this band, along with Petra where one of the first Christian
rock bands, and Rez leaned more toward the hard rock side of the fence
than Petra. That being said I was not impressed with this song being a
standard rock n roll, which does not make it a bad song but nothing
stood out to me.

Troglodye Dawn-Redeemed-I am already fan of
this band, but this cut caught by surprise, the sound is different then
the other songs I have heard from this band, but I liked the curve ball
this band threw at me.

Signal-You Won't See Me Cry- Another
melodic band and another one I never heard of. This band seems to have
a slighter darker edge then most of bands of this genre. I enjoyed this
song alot and if this is a newer band, it is nice to see quality
material still being produced by newer bands of this genre.

Alice
Cooper-The Sharpest Pain- I am huge Alice fan, but whether it is Alice
or any other artist, I very seldom will buy a single just to get the
unleased track. Loved the song, and this song reminded me of the band
Alice Cooper, as opposed to Alice the solo artist. Two thumbs way up.

Scared
Steel-Broken Rites-Never heard of this band and the music was not bad
with a tad hint of Iron Maiden. The music was not bad, but unfortuntley
I did care for vocalist, who killed my enjoyment of this song.

Shadow
King-Don't Even Know I', Alive- I have this CD of this sort lived super
group of sorts. Lou Gramm could have a second lease on life in a post
Foreigner career. This song while not all that different then Foreigner
classics, it is an well written song featuring Vivvian Campbell doing
his best Mick Jones impression during the solo.

Sathanas-Winged
Black Spirit-Another band I never heard of, but I loved it. The singer
sounds like a cross between Beelzebub and Mae West, and yes that is a
good thing.

Will review the rest tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
Olafsto
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Olafsto

Number of posts : 2522

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews   COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews Icon_minitimeSun Mar 14, 2010 2:12 pm

You are extremely picky PRD.
Do you even like your former band Phoenix Reign?
I`d say that Nils Patrik Johannson is several leagues above that lady singer of yours...
Not beeing a smart ass just wondering since you seem to be turned off by a lot of vocalists COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews Icon_biggrin
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/olafsto
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews   COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews Icon_minitimeSun Mar 14, 2010 2:48 pm

Continuing my review of Spec's CD:

Shok Paris-Last Queen-I was always curious of this band and was glad to see Spec had added them to this comp. I really liked this band and felt this was a strong song that will make me seek out more of their material in the future.

Deep Purple-Going Down (live)- I am huge Deep Purple and Tommy Bolin fan, the much maligned version of this Deep Purple is also the most underrated. Tommy Bolin sounds great on here as does David Coverdale who other shows on this ill fated tour Coverdale sounds like he has blown his voice and Bolin has sounded uninterested. That is not the case with this concert which was recorded on 9/26/76 and has to be one of the last for this incarnation of DP.

Yesterday and Today-Pleasure in My Heart- From the underrate appreciated future Y & T. This song is an excellent example of melodic metal from an album that is not only underrated but has been overlooked for eons. I have 'Struck Down' on vinyl and need to upgrade to CD.

Recon-Alive!-What caught me by surprise how much the vocalist sounds like a distant cousin of Geoff Tate. That being said I enjoyed the song, not sure if I will seek them out but I enjoyed the song and the cool chunka chunka riffage.

Joan Jett-We're All Crazy- Very cool, never heard this song before which apparently she recorded in 1979. It sounds like a left over song from her Runaway days. Joan is Joan, and if you like her then you will like this.

Scanner-Law-Another unknown band to me, not a bad song with a chrous that you could hear coming from a mile away. A fast rocker with a cool guitar solo.

Brant Bjork and The Bros-'73- Another unknown artist to me and I liked this song alot. It reminded me of pre-punk bands of the 70's power pop movement of that burst of the U.K. around, well 1973. That is not to say the song sounds dated or like a throw back, it does not but it is an excellent homage to a sound that was buried alive by bands like the Sex Pistols etc.

Loudness-Burning Love-I am a Loudness fan but I have never owned any of the pre-Thunder in the East releases, great song and it helps that you have the great Akria Takashki on guitar firing on all four cylinders.

Mostly Autumn-Paper Angels- A beautiful song sung by a beautiful woman with a beautiful voice. Very melodic and very different, like Pink Floyd without the angst and sung very a woman's point of view. Loved it.

Thank you for the comp, Spec, truly enjoyed it.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews   COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews Icon_minitimeSun Mar 14, 2010 3:30 pm

Thanks Wayne for the review!!! Glad you found a few things to check out!!!! Here is my review of PR's first CD. CD 2 to come soon!

1. Tankard – Octane Warriors

Good, sold trash song, I like it

2. Charred Walls Of The Damned – From The Abyss

Sounds like Euro-Power Metal and I like it! Singer remind me of Geoff Tate a bit

3. Jag Panzer
Good speed metal!!!!! Me like!!!!

4. Sonata Artica – The Last Amazing Grays
I like this song, I had included it on Wayne’s comp!

5. The 69 Eyes – Dead And Gone
Interesting band – kind of Euro Pop mixed with Metal/Hard Rock. Almost like the Psychedelic Furs decided to go metal. Good song – the name of the band cracks me up!

6. Misfits – Astro Zombies
Ahhh – the Misfits!!!! A great song from a great band!!!

7. Blue Oyster Cult – Harvest Moon
BOC – good band, not a huge fan, but I have a couple BOC albums. Good song by a good band.

8. Jorn – World Gone Mad
Never heard this guy before, so I looked him up in Wikipedia. I was thinking “sounds Scandinavian” then I found out he was from Norway. I like it!

9. Bob Catley – One More Night
Never heard of Bob Catley, not a bad poppy song

10. Virgin Steele – Through Blood And Fire

Ahh, Virgin Steele, hadn’t listened to them since High School. This song is actually pretty good!!!!

11. Artillery - Upon My Cross I Crawl
Never heard this band before, good trash band and I like this song

12. Gamma Ray – Shine Forever
Sounds like Euro-Power Metal to me, song is good. I’d have to hear more before I decide to purchase the CD

13. Heavenly – Lost In Your Eyes
Never heard of this band – more Power Metal, good stuff. I like it!!!!
14. Ravage – Reign Fall
A band I have wanted to hear since they have been talked about on HoM. Pretty good thrash – I will need to check them out some more before I decided to buy the CD

15. PC 69 – Talk To The Moon
Of course, I have heard of this band, just never listed to them. I like this song, makes the band worth exploring more!

16. Axel Rudi Pell – Losing The Game
Someone else I have heard off but never listened to, great song! I may have to start checking out his back catalogue

17. Hardcore Superstar – Nervous Breakdown
Good metal song!!! Never heard them before, I was expecting hardcore, but instead this is good, solid Metal!!!!

18. Diamond Head
Great song by a great band!!!
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews   COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews Icon_minitimeSun Mar 14, 2010 3:39 pm

You never heard of Hardcore Superstar Joker? You must skip all my posts where I pimp them. COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews Icon_razz

And if you like that 69 Eyes song, you should really check into them because I think that's one of their weaker ones. I'd recommend the albums Angels, Devils and the newest one Back In Blood.

And definitely check into PC69. Great band with a really stupid name.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews   COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews Icon_minitimeSun Mar 14, 2010 7:44 pm

tohostudios wrote:
You never heard of Hardcore Superstar Joker? You must skip all my posts where I pimp them. COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews Icon_razz

And if you like that 69 Eyes song, you should really check into them because I think that's one of their weaker ones. I'd recommend the albums Angels, Devils and the newest one Back In Blood.

And definitely check into PC69. Great band with a really stupid name.

Thanks - I will check out all 3!!!!
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews   COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews Icon_minitimeSun Mar 14, 2010 8:45 pm

BTW, the original singer for Pink Cream 69 was Andi Deris (now with Helloween). Personally, I prefer David Readman's less screechy vocals for PC69's music but both singers are really good and PC69's music is great IMO.

Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews   COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews Icon_minitimeSun Mar 14, 2010 11:30 pm

Olafsto wrote:
I`d say that Nils Patrik Johannson is several leagues above that lady singer of yours...
Not beeing a smart ass just wondering since you seem to be turned off by a lot of vocalists COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews Icon_biggrin

Im am extremely picky hahaha. I hate being that way but if I liked everything I would have to get a warehouse to store all of my cds. I listen to so many different bands and a lot of them sound similar to others. If I'm looking for something new it really needs to grab my attention and be different from what I already have.

Of course Johannson is several leagues above my singer, he's been in the business. Theresa has come a long way though from when she joined the band. I'm very picky with vocalists especially since thats one of the things that stands out the most to me. Some of my friends and even my gf hears some of the stuff I listen to and they are just like "what the hell are you listening to, why are they singing like that", and they are talking about the operatic or power metal singers. Sometimes I don't like their accents or that it doesn't fit the music to my ears. Sorry if I seem so judgemental on a lot of bands but I need music that gives me the something that I don't already have. I did find a couple of good bands on those cds and some I already had so I think the cds were a good listen and I enjoyed them.

Don't worry I didn't think you were being an ass I probably would have asked the same question if someone else posted what I did. Your an ass for other reasons COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews Lol COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews 84826

Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews   COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews Icon_minitimeSun Mar 14, 2010 11:33 pm

tohostudios wrote:
BTW, the original singer for Pink Cream 69 was Andi Deris (now with Helloween). Personally, I prefer David Readman's less screechy vocals for PC69's music but both singers are really good and PC69's music is great IMO.

I love Andi in Helloween and he was great in PC69 but I think Readman fits better with PC69. He handled some of the older songs really well and If they ever re-recorded the older stuff I think it would sound great. Except on the live cd they completely botched up one of my favorite songs of theirs (the name just escapes me at the moment, im half awake.) similiar to the way Queensryche now ruins The Lady Wore Black.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Olafsto

Number of posts : 2522

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews   COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews Icon_minitimeMon Mar 15, 2010 4:48 am

Phoenix Reign Drummer wrote:
Olafsto wrote:

Im am extremely picky hahaha. I hate being that way but if I liked everything I would have to get a warehouse to store all of my cds. I listen to so many different bands and a lot of them sound similar to others. If I'm looking for something new it really needs to grab my attention and be different from what I already have.

Of course Johannson is several leagues above my singer, he's been in the business. Theresa has come a long way though from when she joined the band. I'm very picky with vocalists especially since thats one of the things that stands out the most to me. Some of my friends and even my gf hears some of the stuff I listen to and they are just like "what the hell are you listening to, why are they singing like that", and they are talking about the operatic or power metal singers. Sometimes I don't like their accents or that it doesn't fit the music to my ears. Sorry if I seem so judgemental on a lot of bands but I need music that gives me the something that I don't already have. I did find a couple of good bands on those cds and some I already had so I think the cds were a good listen and I enjoyed them.

Don't worry I didn't think you were being an ass I probably would have asked the same question if someone else posted what I did. Your an ass for other reasons COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews Lol COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews 84826

COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews Lol .
I`m an ass for countless reasons, believe me COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews Icon_smile .
Your reasons actually makes a lot of sense, i understand what you`re saying and i guess the older you get and the more music you listen to, the pickier you get.
The accent thing is of course a bigger issue for you english speaking people, it has to be very bad before i actually notice, but i can only imagine how it would sound to me if bands were to sing in broken norwegian COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews Icon_smile .
I also agree that the vocals are what sticks out and are very important.
At least making you a comp is a challenge COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews Icon_lol
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/olafsto
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews   COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews Icon_minitimeMon Mar 15, 2010 9:06 am

Olafsto wrote:
Olafsto wrote:

COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews Lol .
I`m an ass for countless reasons, believe me COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews Icon_smile .
Your reasons actually makes a lot of sense, i understand what you`re saying and i guess the older you get and the more music you listen to, the pickier you get.
The accent thing is of course a bigger issue for you english speaking people, it has to be very bad before i actually notice, but i can only imagine how it would sound to me if bands were to sing in broken norwegian COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews Icon_smile .
I also agree that the vocals are what sticks out and are very important.
At least making you a comp is a challenge COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews Icon_lol

LOL!!!! I thinking making anyone on this board is a challenge, since we all have so much music!!!!!! The only one that got me was Astral Doors - I thought for sure Wayne would like them...... O well!!! Hey, they are few bands he will check out more!!!!
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews   COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews Icon_minitimeTue Mar 16, 2010 4:47 pm

Hahaha it is a challenge to make these comps but I like doing it and recieving them. Astral Doors was ok I like the music, because that part was up my alley but I just didnt like the vocals so much. Maybe it was just in that song though. What other song would you suggest?

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews   COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews Icon_minitimeTue Mar 16, 2010 4:51 pm

Hahaha it is a challenge to make these comps but I like doing it and recieving them. Astral Doors was ok I like the music, because that part was up my alley but I just didnt like the vocals so much. Maybe it was just in that song though. What other song would you suggest?

Gee - I like all there stuff. Toho or Olafsto would the best one to recommend other material to you. I think he sounds like Dio
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews   COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews Icon_minitimeTue Mar 16, 2010 5:14 pm

thejokeriv wrote:

Gee - I like all there stuff. Toho or Olafsto would the best one to recommend other material to you. I think he sounds like Dio

Try this one:

Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews   COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews Icon_minitimeTue Mar 16, 2010 5:16 pm

I just went on itunes to hear some samples. Im still not liking it. I don't hear the Dio comparison at all.

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews   COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews Icon_minitimeTue Mar 16, 2010 5:18 pm

You don't think the vocals in Cloudbreaker sound like Dio?

You're the first person I've ever heard say that.

Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews   COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews Icon_minitimeTue Mar 16, 2010 5:20 pm

tohostudios wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:

Try this one:

Ok I just listened to this one and I had to stop it. I do hear the Dio reference more in this song than others but its almost like a horrible impersination. I can hear when he tries to do those little Dio like accents at the end of a word, he is a little too over dramatic about it and its annoying. I'm going to have to stick to my guns on this one.

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews   COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews Icon_minitimeTue Mar 16, 2010 5:22 pm

Eh...different strokes.

Funny thing is he's also the vocalist for Wuthering Heights and he really tones down the Dio worship in that band.

Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews   COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews Icon_minitimeTue Mar 16, 2010 5:24 pm

I'll have to check that out and see. I did pick up some Dead Kennedys today though, that was on Jokers comps!

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews   COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews Icon_minitimeTue Mar 16, 2010 5:26 pm

Wuthering Heights is more prog oriented. Try this. Except for when he says "Tree!", it doesn't even sound like the same guy IMO.

Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews   COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews Icon_minitimeTue Mar 16, 2010 5:31 pm

I was just listening to some samples of Far From Madding Crowd before you posted this video and your right, its like he changes his voice. I could probably get into Wuthering Heights.......hmmmm interesting.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews   COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews Icon_minitimeTue Mar 16, 2010 5:33 pm

tohostudios wrote:
You don't think the vocals in Cloudbreaker sound like Dio?

You're the first person I've ever heard say that.

I hear it. I'm not familiar with Astral Doors at all, but I'm listening to 'Testament of Rock' on their myspage page and I can see the Dio comparrison.

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews   COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews
Page 1 of 6Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next