Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

All things Metallica

Go down 
+83
Orion Crystal Ice
Cliffy
corplhicks
Thelemech
Hadley
MetalRob331
ElectricEye93
Chrome Locust
stormspell
Rami Airola
Boris2008
Dark Horseman
Addy
ShadowAngel
DevZor
Spyder Jonez
MoonChild
EmoElmo
Witchfinder
fingers
stpatrik
Leatherface
metalhead777
Tur-Thalion
Arjun_M
Required Fields
Grimmo
Doomdance
Chairman_Smith
Rex
EvyMetal
Vexer6
DeathCult
Alex Dee Rokket
Lurideath
Wurthless
reapermetal
mr.electric39
DallasBlack
MEGATRON
arachnoplasma
chewie
mlotek
The_Jayroh
GrandNational
tohostudios
ultmetal
Approval Guy
exact33
James B.
Shawn Of Fire
Eyesore
Gilbert
Louder
SpectreFate
Joe
Troublezone
Fat Freddy
mc666
MetalGuy71
bassman
A Handful of Wayne
holydiver97595
metalinmyveins
sheets
Lari
7thSaviour
Sabbath In Solitude
sam
Metal Misfit
Mglaffas81
Damien Solta
the sentinel
Thrasher73
Schbopo
thejokeriv
Temple of Blood
manny
XYZ
zombiewalkin
TheGooch
kmorg
87 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 27 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Rex
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Rex

Number of posts : 2056

All things Metallica - Page 14 Empty
PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 14 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 28, 2011 9:46 am

Mglaffas81 wrote:
manny wrote:
Rex wrote:
Well...I was referring to this song. But you really think he sounds good there?

I think Lou Reed sounds ok, he is kind of like Bob Dylan, its more about the lyrics then the sound of his voice, he is not exactly a great vocalist but his voice works for his music.

I aways thought Bob Dylan sounded TERRIBLE Laughing

I agree with that too. Great song writer, but a poor excuse for a singer.....downright painful to my ears on some songs.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 14 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 28, 2011 10:50 am

Mglaffas81 wrote:
manny wrote:
Rex wrote:

I think Lou Reed sounds ok, he is kind of like Bob Dylan, its more about the lyrics then the sound of his voice, he is not exactly a great vocalist but his voice works for his music.

Bob Dylan is an acquired taste for sure. I couldn't stand his voice for the longest time, then I heard songs like "Hurricane" and "Shelter From the Sun", and my perception began to change about him.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 14 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 28, 2011 11:45 am

metalinmyveins wrote:
Mglaffas81 wrote:
manny wrote:
Rex wrote:

Bob Dylan is an acquired taste for sure. I couldn't stand his voice for the longest time, then I heard songs like "Hurricane" and "Shelter From the Sun", and my perception began to change about him.

I agree Dylan's voice is an acquired taste, and I would throw Lou Reed, Tom Waits, and Leonard Cohen in this same field, none of them are going to challenge the latest pretty boy who makes it on American Idol but there voices limitations works perfectly with their songs.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 14 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 01, 2011 1:03 pm

I'm not sure James and Lars can be any more out of touch with reality:

Quote :
According to Ulrich, "Lulu" has had an effect on the writing for METALLICA's next album. Instead of starting with riffs, "James is talking about bringing lyrics in first," the drummer said. "What happens if the music is inspired by that?"

A few days after "Lulu" was mastered, Ulrich described listening to the album on a late-night car ride. "I was overwhelmed," he confessed. "I also felt, 'This is really unique.'" How unique? He laughs. "This makes [METALLICA's 1988 LP] '...And Justice For All' sound like the first RAMONES album."
lol!
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 14 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 01, 2011 1:54 pm

Eyesore wrote:
"This makes [METALLICA's 1988 LP] '...And Justice For All' sound like the first RAMONES album."

Um... wut? surprised

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 14 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 01, 2011 2:21 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
"This makes [METALLICA's 1988 LP] '...And Justice For All' sound like the first RAMONES album."
Um... wut? surprised
Seriously.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 14 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 01, 2011 3:57 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

Um... wut? surprised

Let me translate what that means: Lars needs to go to rehab and he should get a referral from James
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 14 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 01, 2011 4:33 pm

Yea I read this earlier. I thought he stopped doing cocaine?

Metal student
Metal student
arachnoplasma

Number of posts : 244

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 14 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 01, 2011 5:03 pm

Lars wrote:

How DARE you slander the good name of The Ramones!!
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 14 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 06, 2011 9:06 am

James Hetfield has gone back on record to say that Lulu – the upcoming collaborative effort between Metallica and Lou Reed – should most definitely not be considered a Metallica album.

“It’s definitely different,” the frontman told Argentine radio station Rock & Pop 95.9 FM. “This is not the new Metallica studio record. This is Lulu. And that’s why we named it Lulu — it’s not Metallica [and] it’s not Lou Reed; it’s us together making something called Lulu. I’m sure there’s some Metallica fans that will think, ‘This is the new Metallica record. I don’t like it. I’m scared.’ And it’s not.”

Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 14 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 06, 2011 9:14 am

manny wrote:
James Hetfield has gone back on record to say that Lulu – the upcoming collaborative effort between Metallica and Lou Reed – should most definitely not be considered a Metallica album.

“It’s definitely different,” the frontman told Argentine radio station Rock & Pop 95.9 FM. “This is not the new Metallica studio record. This is Lulu. And that’s why we named it Lulu — it’s not Metallica [and] it’s not Lou Reed; it’s us together making something called Lulu. I’m sure there’s some Metallica fans that will think, ‘This is the new Metallica record. I don’t like it. I’m scared.’ And it’s not.”

I saw that. I have been reading the released lyrics - Lou Reed is an excellent lyricist. It seems like he writes poetry then puts it to music as opposed to just song lyrics. And most of them seem very smurfed up!!!!!
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 14 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 06, 2011 9:22 am

Lou Reed's lyrics have always explored the darker side of life, but more from observation and in the mid 60's with the Velvet Underground the song topics ranged from scoring drugs (Waiting for the Man) to drug use (Heroin) to s & m (Venus In Furs) to joys of rock n roll (Rock n Roll)

An excellent lyricist and I agree its bascially poetry put to music.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 14 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 06, 2011 12:36 pm

[quote="Eyesore"]I'm not sure James and Lars can be any more out of touch with reality:

Quote :
According to Ulrich, "Lulu" has had an effect on the writing for METALLICA's next album.

it had an effect on me too.. kinda like after Taco Bell digests....

Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 14 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 06, 2011 7:43 pm

This made me smile. Meet Mini Metallica!!

These kids are already better than Haunted by Heroes. Very Happy

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 14 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 06, 2011 7:50 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
This made me smile. Meet Mini Metallica!!

These kids are already better than Haunted by Heroes. Very Happy

those drums are 100000000000% better!!

Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 14 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 06, 2011 8:41 pm

Yeah, but they still suck. lol!
Back to top Go down
arachnoplasma
Metal student
Metal student
arachnoplasma

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 14 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 06, 2011 9:09 pm

Hell, I'd rather see Mini Metallica over the real Metallica these days. Razz

This little dude is awesome.

Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 14 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 06, 2011 9:46 pm

Easy.
Back to top Go down
Mglaffas81
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

Number of posts : 2256

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 14 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 07, 2011 1:27 am

arachnoplasma wrote:
Hell, I'd rather see Mini Metallica over the real Metallica these days. Razz

This little dude is awesome.

Yeah, because little kids who can pull of a song so-so are better than the actual band - I understand you're not a fan of Metallica's recent albums, but there's no reason to slam ther live performances, especially when there is no reason for it.
Back to top Go down
arachnoplasma
Metal student
Metal student
arachnoplasma

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 14 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 07, 2011 4:32 am

Mglaffas81 wrote:

Yeah, because little kids who can pull of a song so-so are better than the actual band

Yep. Razz

Mglaffas81 wrote:

I understand you're not a fan of Metallica's recent albums,

I understand you make a lot of assumptions. Wink

Not a raging "fan" per se, no, but over the years I have come around to liking a handful of songs off of Load and ReLoad, and Death Magnetic had four songs that I actually enjoyed enough to convince me to buy the album. See? I'm not totally unreasonable.

Mglaffas81 wrote:

but there's no reason to slam ther live performances, especially when there is no reason for it.

On the contrary, I hate the way Hetfield sings the songs "melodically" today, his voice completely lacks conviction, and it certainly doesn't sound good with the older material. Lars is so out of time and lazy that it kills me. And Kirk flat out butchers the solos half the time. Age really is no excuse - there are plenty of metal bands who have been around just as long as or longer than Metallica who still put on excellent and powerful performances. They're just lazy and unrehearsed.

If you disagree, that's great, knock yourself out. But I'm entitled to my own opinion, thanks.
Back to top Go down
Mglaffas81
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 14 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 07, 2011 5:03 am

arachnoplasma wrote:
Mglaffas81 wrote:

Yeah, because little kids who can pull of a song so-so are better than the actual band

Yep. Razz

Mglaffas81 wrote:

I understand you're not a fan of Metallica's recent albums,

I understand you make a lot of assumptions. Wink

Not a raging "fan" per se, no, but over the years I have come around to liking a handful of songs off of Load and ReLoad, and Death Magnetic had four songs that I actually enjoyed enough to convince me to buy the album. See? I'm not totally unreasonable.

Mglaffas81 wrote:

but there's no reason to slam ther live performances, especially when there is no reason for it.

On the contrary, I hate the way Hetfield sings the songs "melodically" today, his voice completely lacks conviction, and it certainly doesn't sound good with the older material. Lars is so out of time and lazy that it kills me. And Kirk flat out butchers the solos half the time. Age really is no excuse - there are plenty of metal bands who have been around just as long as or longer than Metallica who still put on excellent and powerful performances. They're just lazy and unrehearsed.

If you disagree, that's great, knock yourself out. But I'm entitled to my own opinion, thanks.

All right, so you're not totally unreasonable - I do agree that Hetfield's way of singing now doesn't really sound that great, but the man blew is voice a long time ago - But it varies with each performance - I've heard him belt out some insane screams and grunts on occasion, but he has to take care of his voice - it's not his fault. I see nothing wrong with Lars' drumming - A lot of the criticism comes from handpicked youtube video's where there may have been some screw-ups - but all bands have that. I've seen them numerous times recently, and they have sounded great - It really sounds a lot different at the actual concert than on the recorded performances. They've improved a lto as a live band - my main complaint is Hetfield's voice, but I don't blame him for it.

Of course you are entitled to your opinion - I just hate completely unresonable outbursts such as "Metallica ended as a serious band after Master of Puppets" or "Metallica are a bunch out sell-out pussies". Metallica were sounded absolutely AMAZING live during the Justice/Black Album era (1988-1993) - better than with Cliff, in my opinion - Metallica were at the peak of their career there, and Jason's brutal backing-vocals really kicked it up a notch. But now I'm getting off topic. To each his own.
Back to top Go down
arachnoplasma
Metal student
Metal student
arachnoplasma

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 14 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 07, 2011 6:24 am

Mglaffas81 wrote:

Of course you are entitled to your opinion - I just hate completely unresonable outbursts such as "Metallica ended as a serious band after Master of Puppets" or "Metallica are a bunch out sell-out pussies". Metallica were sounded absolutely AMAZING live during the Justice/Black Album era (1988-1993) - better than with Cliff, in my opinion - Metallica were at the peak of their career there, and Jason's brutal backing-vocals really kicked it up a notch. But now I'm getting off topic. To each his own.

Likewise, I just get kind of annoyed when people assume "oh you just don't like it because it isn't '80s thrash-metal." About half of my favorite bands aren't even metal and I have loads of so-called "guilty pleasures," so I like to think I'm at least somewhat open-minded and adaptive. Believe me, growing up, Metallica were #1 for me and my gateway into metal, so I've always at least given them a chance even in spite of any disappointments. And I probably always will.

It's all good man. Sorry if I came off as a bit snippy in my initial response. You seem like a cool cat.

At the very least, we can both agree that they were a brilliant live band in the Justice era. The Seattle '89 videos are incredible. ...And Justice For All was the first album I ever bought as a kid, so it's a personal favorite. My older sister saw them on that tour and I am eternally jealous. All things Metallica - Page 14 19976
Back to top Go down
Mglaffas81
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 14 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 07, 2011 7:15 am

arachnoplasma wrote:
Mglaffas81 wrote:

Likewise, I just get kind of annoyed when people assume "oh you just don't like it because it isn't '80s thrash-metal." About half of my favorite bands aren't even metal and I have loads of so-called "guilty pleasures," so I like to think I'm at least somewhat open-minded and adaptive. Believe me, growing up, Metallica were #1 for me and my gateway into metal, so I've always at least given them a chance even in spite of any disappointments. And I probably always will.

It's all good man. Sorry if I came off as a bit snippy in my initial response. You seem like a cool cat.

At the very least, we can both agree that they were a brilliant live band in the Justice era. The Seattle '89 videos are incredible. ...And Justice For All was the first album I ever bought as a kid, so it's a personal favorite. My older sister saw them on that tour and I am eternally jealous. All things Metallica - Page 14 19976

Very well, my friend - Glad that we can discuss in a civilized manner. How funny, ...And Justice For All was the first album I ever bought as well, when I was about 11 - That album is just pure brilliance. The Seattle show is mindblowing!
Back to top Go down
mlotek
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mlotek

Number of posts : 1226

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 14 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 07, 2011 7:23 am

You guys just reminded me of what I thought when I bought the Master of Puppets vinyl "hmm..what the f--- is with all these slow plodding craptacula songs?!"
... so the black metal/death metal/gore metal kiddies (or what did Bob Muldowney of KickAss zine call 'em, "satanic weenies"?) back then actually were right when they said it was the beginning of the end.

While I do get into some songs off every album / EP since then, sometimes a LOT when first released, the nostalgia wears off,and Metallica, just like Hulk Hogan should go away.

PS.The Seattle 89 vids on the Live Sh- Binge and purge boxset were pretty cool, as I am guessing they might have been the first arena band to not give a rat's ass about anything, and treated their concerts and fans at them like it was huge garage jam/private party instead of the traditional rock concert, making them a lot more fun even if you were sitting in the nosebleed seats it looks like.
Back to top Go down
Approval Guy
Metal novice
Metal novice
Approval Guy

Number of posts : 74

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 14 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 20, 2011 3:04 am

Well, here it is: http://www.loureedmetallica.com/listen-to-lulu.php
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 14 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

All things Metallica
Page 14 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 27 ... 40  Next