Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

All things Metallica

Go down 
+83
Orion Crystal Ice
Cliffy
corplhicks
Thelemech
Hadley
MetalRob331
ElectricEye93
Chrome Locust
stormspell
Rami Airola
Boris2008
Dark Horseman
Addy
ShadowAngel
DevZor
Spyder Jonez
MoonChild
EmoElmo
Witchfinder
fingers
stpatrik
Leatherface
metalhead777
Tur-Thalion
Arjun_M
Required Fields
Grimmo
Doomdance
Chairman_Smith
Rex
EvyMetal
Vexer6
DeathCult
Alex Dee Rokket
Lurideath
Wurthless
reapermetal
mr.electric39
DallasBlack
MEGATRON
arachnoplasma
chewie
mlotek
The_Jayroh
GrandNational
tohostudios
ultmetal
Approval Guy
exact33
James B.
Shawn Of Fire
Eyesore
Gilbert
Louder
SpectreFate
Joe
Troublezone
Fat Freddy
mc666
MetalGuy71
bassman
A Handful of Wayne
holydiver97595
metalinmyveins
sheets
Lari
7thSaviour
Sabbath In Solitude
sam
Metal Misfit
Mglaffas81
Damien Solta
the sentinel
Thrasher73
Schbopo
thejokeriv
Temple of Blood
manny
XYZ
zombiewalkin
TheGooch
kmorg
87 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 15 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 33 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

All things Metallica - Page 27 Empty
PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 27 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 9:18 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:
Metallica does what Metallica wants to do. I never bought the "Bob Rock's fault" argument which makes them sound like victims. James and Lars know exactly what they want and act accordingly. Unfortunately, what they want is crap.

Death Magnetic is a bunch of riffs that are stitched and stapled together with Pro-Tools. It's the least organically created album I have ever heard.

Bingo!
And this is entirely true. There are very few natural transitions on Death Magnetic. This has been my biggest complaint of that album, despite enjoying it quite a bit. But it's definitely a bunch of ideas spliced together on a computer.

You could see them doing that during the pre-album videos they were posting. They just wrote a bunch of riffs, sat down at a computer, and put them together. Then clearly added some half-assed, probably ad-libbed in-the-moment lyrics, and called it a day.

I dig that they have families and stuff, but can they really be so busy that they can no longer get into a room and just jam on some tunes?
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 27 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 9:19 pm

you still gotta give it to a band that can generate such feelings, negative or positive after all these years.

Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 27 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 9:21 pm

Oh, and one other thing: 99.9% of you dummies have no idea what autotune is or sounds like, so shut the hell up!

This autotune crap is getting out of hand. Everyone is a music expert these days and can somehow pick out autotune from all kinds of songs not by Madonna and Cher. So annoying.

And while we're here, 99.9% of the time you dummies talk about Jon Schaffer playing "triplets," he's NOT!
Back to top Go down
ShadowAngel
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ShadowAngel

Number of posts : 445

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 27 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 9:53 pm

Eyesore wrote:

This autotune crap is getting out of hand. Everyone is a music expert these days and can somehow pick out autotune from all kinds of songs not by Madonna and Cher. So annoying.

It's really not difficult to hear where Autotune was used and where it wasn't. Once you know how Autotune alters the voice and what it does, it becomes pretty obvious. A good example is Alice Coopers "I am Made of you" from Welcome 2 my Nightmare. That's an example of using Autotune for good. It get's overboard when it's used on basically every song (as Ke$ha does for example) or if it's used to "improve" live recordings (as Toto did on the Falling in Between Live album)

And Autotune doesn't come from the devil and needs to be despised, it can be a helpful tool, to correct small mistakes or be used for the benefit of a song. Thing is, more often than not, Autotune is used as a cheap and lazy way to finish a recording sessions. Instead of having a singer record the same vocal track over and over until he nails it, they just run it through autotune.
Back to top Go down
http://www.kingdomofdesire.de
Spyder Jonez
Metal novice
Metal novice

Number of posts : 35

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 27 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 10:16 pm

Witchfinder wrote:

Death Magnetic is a bunch of riffs that are stitched and stapled together with Pro-Tools. It's the least organically created album I have ever heard.

Death Magnetic is what happens when you dust off some old B-Sides from your last recording, leave in the guitar solos then create some new lyrics just so you have something to put out.
Back to top Go down
Vexer6
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

Number of posts : 1307

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 27 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 10:31 pm

I see nothing wrong with iPod headphones, i've gone through several CD players and walkmans(all of which quit on me after a year or two), and I honestly can't tell the difference in sound quality. I really don't see the advantage of owning a pricey stereo over an iPod, i've been ripped off one too many times to bother wasting money on another one. As for Death Magnetic, I never noticed the whole "loudness" thing, even when I actiely tried listening for it after I heard others complain about it, I don't know, maybe it has something to do with my Aspberger's Syndrome, but regardless I enjoy Death Magnetic and consider it a fine return to form.
Back to top Go down
DevZor
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
DevZor

Number of posts : 336

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 27 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 11:19 pm

ShadowAngel wrote:
DevZor wrote:
You know if you listen to Death Magnetic cranked thru really sh!tty speakers that whole production thing becomes a non-issue. I don't really like listening to DM thru headphones, but pumping thru the piece of junk stereo in my work vehicle it sounds fantastic! Just LOUD obnoxious guitar metal for a drive or for motivation while working.

That's basically why we have the loudness war. More and more people use MP3, use MP3 players and crappy headphones (everytime i see someone using an iPod with those horrible iPod earplugs, i just want to cringe...how can anyone enjoy that?) or crappy PC Speakers and thinks if they "take it up to eleven" it sounds awesome.
People dislearned to hear a good audio quality. You see so many kids and teens blaring music through their cell phone speaker and think it's great. It makes me sad.

I understand your point, I can get downright anal about sound quality. I love sitting back with a pair of 300 dollar headphones, or a decent sound system, and listening to something that is gorgeously produced. There is a time and a place for it. There is also a place for raw, loud, and blistering metal/rock'n'roll. The kind of loud that needs nothing more than the stock stereo in a piece of crap vehicle, or indeed the cellphone speaker. I don't always have top of the line gear around, and when I don't I'd rather listen to something that just jams than miss all the dynamics that I wouldn't be hearing anyway. Time and place.

As for people dislearning to hear good audio... that just isn't true. Every generation has its audiophiles and its people who don't give a rip. Every generation has its albums produced to the hilt, and its basement recordings. I'm sure most people on this board have albums that are close to their heart that leave much to be desired in the audio quality department.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 27 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 11:49 pm

DevZor wrote:

As for people dislearning to hear good audio... that just isn't true. Every generation has its audiophiles and its people who don't give a rip. Every generation has its albums produced to the hilt, and its basement recordings. I'm sure most people on this board have albums that are close to their heart that leave much to be desired in the audio quality department.

Completely true. I'm the resident audiophile here and I'm sure most people think I'm crazy, but they just don't know what they are missing.

iPods can sound great, providing you use a lossless file type and a nice pair of studio-monitor headphones.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 27 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 12:50 am

Spyder Jonez wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:

Death Magnetic is what happens when you dust off some old B-Sides from your last recording, leave in the guitar solos then create some new lyrics just so you have something to put out.
Except that's obviously not what happened. Outside of your head, at least.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 27 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 4:33 am

Witchfinder wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
S.D. wrote:
Black album? Bob Rock
Load/Reload? Bob Rock
St. Anger? Bob Rock

Lame ass producer? Bob Rock
And if you really want to see a band trying to be something they're not, which is what everyone claims those above-mentioned albums represent, then see Death Magnetic.

Metallica does what Metallica wants to do. I never bought the "Bob Rock's fault" argument which makes them sound like victims. James and Lars know exactly what they want and act accordingly.

Did you ever see the documentaries about the recording of the Black album? Bob Rock had them do stuff they were not at all comfortable with.

Also, Anton Crobijn (sp?) made them cut their hair for the infamous Load photo sessions. The band wanted iconic band photos like Anton did for U2, but he just didn't see how that could be done with 4 guys with long hair and black clothing, so he came up with the idea, NOT James or Lars. Did you ever see the flack Jason got when he cut his a few years earlier than the rest of the boys?

If anything, Load and Reload were colored by brit-pop, and southern rock, not grunge! Lars was a huge Oasis fan at the time, and James listened to Lynyrd Skynyrd and their likes. It does not sound like brit-pop, southern rock or grunge.

Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 27 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 7:20 am

"Until it Sleeps" sounds like it was influenced by Alice in Chains.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 27 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 8:23 am

S.D. wrote:
DevZor wrote:

Completely true. I'm the resident audiophile here and I'm sure most people think I'm crazy, but they just don't know what they are missing.

iPods can sound great, providing you use a lossless file type and a nice pair of studio-monitor headphones.

Yeah, you are the resident audiophile, but not crazy! LOL!!!!

For me, I use my ipod to listen to in the car where it doesn't matter if I am listening to an MP3, they sound just fine through Toyota's stock system plugged into the AUX jax.

At home, I prefer to listen to lossless files or CD's - they sound better. And it's all SD's fault that I can tell the difference on how cymbals sound in MP3 vs CD on my home system!!!!!!

BTW - I like Death Magnetic a lot and the songs sounded great when I saw them live!
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 27 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 8:30 am

Eyesore wrote:
Spyder Jonez wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:

Exactly. That is such a huge load of crap...haha!!

I am by no means a Metallica fanboy...they've never been THE definition of Metal for me...just a band I like. But to say that Death Magnetic (as unimpressive as it is at certain points) was "a bunch of riffs that are stitched and stapled together with Pro-Tools" is just ludicrous....haha!!

Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 27 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 8:44 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Spyder Jonez wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:

Exactly. That is such a huge load of crap...haha!!

I am by no means a Metallica fanboy...they've never been THE definition of Metal for me...just a band I like. But to say that Death Magnetic (as unimpressive as it is at certain points) was "a bunch of riffs that are stitched and stapled together with Pro-Tools" is just ludicrous....haha!!

Except for the fact that the album was assembled exactly like that. So if that's ludicrous, blame Metallica.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 27 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 8:50 am

I think Metallica could record the greatest album in the world, and album that would produce an instant ear orgasm, and there will always be a legion of so called fans ready to tell you Metallica sold out!! If Cliff Burton had lived they would never have gone in this direction!! They suck!!! and on and on and on and .....
Back to top Go down
7thSaviour
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
7thSaviour

Number of posts : 2206

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 27 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 9:07 am

I got their new EP of leftover tracks from Death Magnetic and IMO it sounds pretty good. I won't touch their LuLu project with a 39 1/2 foot pole, however. Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40564

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 27 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 10:35 am

Getting a little feisty in here. Must be a Metallica thread.
Back to top Go down
Spyder Jonez
Metal novice
Metal novice

Number of posts : 35

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 27 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 10:39 am

Eyesore wrote:

Except that IS what happened. Well in the real world and not fanboy land, at least. Maybe before you try to slag people because they insulted your precious Metallica you should try knowing what you speak of? Just a thought. Protip: This is the internet, if you go digging you can, you know, find a bunch of the Presidio recordings that were either leaked online or clips put on the Metallica website by the band themselves during Presidio/St. Anger/Daddy doesn't hug me and so I need rehab phase.

Death Magnetic is some of the stuff that was sitting in storage and nixed when they decided to jump on the dying Nu-Metal bandwagon. You can stomp your feet up and down and demand that it isn't true but just because you don't like it doesn't mean it isn't the truth. I suggest dealing with it and stop taking it personal.

Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 27 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 10:59 am

I do not believe eyesore is a Metallica fanboy!!!

As far as 'Death Magnetic' I never heard or saw this Metallica as trying to ride on nu-metal's dying coattails, I saw it more as an attempt by the band to return to their thrash roots.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 27 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 11:01 am

Spyder Jonez wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

Except that IS what happened. Well in the real world and not fanboy land, at least. Maybe before you try to slag people because they insulted your precious Metallica you should try knowing what you speak of? Just a thought. Protip: This is the internet, if you go digging you can, you know, find a bunch of the Presidio recordings that were either leaked online or clips put on the Metallica website by the band themselves during Presidio/St. Anger/Daddy doesn't hug me and so I need rehab phase.

Death Magnetic is some of the stuff that was sitting in storage and nixed when they decided to jump on the dying Nu-Metal bandwagon. You can stomp your feet up and down and demand that it isn't true but just because you don't like it doesn't mean it isn't the truth. I suggest dealing with it and stop taking it personal.

Just because some of the riffs may have existed beforehand doesn't automatically mean that Death Magnetic (which IMO is simply a "decent" effort...not great by any means) was pieced together on a computer from those recordings.

The riffs/ideas could very well have been (or obviously were) "sitting in storage" for however long (months/years/whatever). That doesn't automatically mean they were somehow "not good enough" for the first time around. That just means that other ideas won out at that given time.

It's not some sort of artistic crime to reach for the tapes when putting together a new album...bands have done that for decades. The only difference is now, thanks to the internet, more people are aware of it.

Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 27 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 11:58 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
It's not some sort of artistic crime to reach for the tapes when putting together a new album...bands have done that for decades. The only difference is now, thanks to the internet, more people are aware of it.

I totally agree with this!!!!!
There's always a case where the band wanted the song, but the label or producer nixed it!(one example: A Change Of Seasons was supposed to be on Images and Words but was killed by the producer and the label and was finally rerecorded a few years later as an ep). Old or new, as long they are good ideas...... who cares!
Back to top Go down
sheets
Metal master
Metal master
sheets

Number of posts : 638

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 27 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 11:58 am

manny wrote:
I think Metallica could record the greatest album in the world, and album that would produce an instant ear orgasm, and there will always be a legion of so called fans ready to tell you Metallica sold out!! If Cliff Burton had lived they would never have gone in this direction!! They suck!!! and on and on and on and .....

Absolutely. It's Pavlovian. Just say the word "Metallica" and you'll be assaulted with variations on "They sold out with the black album," and "Only their first four albums are worth a crap!" Wink

Shawn Of Fire wrote:

Van Halen literally just did that (hell, they've always done it) and they ended up with a pretty cool album, too.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 27 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 1:29 pm

Look...

Pro Tools is just what it says it is...a "tool" for recording/arranging. What you DO with that tool depends on how the finished product will come out. I think people would be surprised by how many people "build" compositions from bits and pieces. This is a "riff-based" music we are dealing with here, not classical composition. It's not like most metal bands are creating a beautiful melody to weave the entire song around...they are coming up with cool riffs and then combining them together to create a complete piece.

In the wrong hands that could come out disjointed, but if the artist knows what they are doing you could never tell they wrote the album that way.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 27 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 2:42 pm

S.D. wrote:
Look...

Pro Tools is just what it says it is...a "tool" for recording/arranging. What you DO with that tool depends on how the finished product will come out. I think people would be surprised by how many people "build" compositions from bits and pieces. This is a "riff-based" music we are dealing with here, not classical composition. It's not like most metal bands are creating a beautiful melody to weave the entire song around...they are coming up with cool riffs and then combining them together to create a complete piece.

In the wrong hands that could come out disjointed, but if the artist knows what they are doing you could never tell they wrote the album that way.

Of course Pro Tools is a tool and in this case, Metallica's use of the tool was ham-handed. Those songs are disjointed and lack flow.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 27 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 2:51 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
S.D. wrote:
Look...

Of course Pro Tools is a tool and in this case, Metallica's use of the tool was ham-handed. Those songs are disjointed and lack flow.

Here's where we get into Opinion vs. Fact. It's no more "disjointed" than AJFA...

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 27 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

All things Metallica
Page 27 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 15 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 33 ... 40  Next