Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

All things Metallica

Go down 
+83
Orion Crystal Ice
Cliffy
corplhicks
Thelemech
Hadley
MetalRob331
ElectricEye93
Chrome Locust
stormspell
Rami Airola
Boris2008
Dark Horseman
Addy
ShadowAngel
DevZor
Spyder Jonez
MoonChild
EmoElmo
Witchfinder
fingers
stpatrik
Leatherface
metalhead777
Tur-Thalion
Arjun_M
Required Fields
Grimmo
Doomdance
Chairman_Smith
Rex
EvyMetal
Vexer6
DeathCult
Alex Dee Rokket
Lurideath
Wurthless
reapermetal
mr.electric39
DallasBlack
MEGATRON
arachnoplasma
chewie
mlotek
The_Jayroh
GrandNational
tohostudios
ultmetal
Approval Guy
exact33
James B.
Shawn Of Fire
Eyesore
Gilbert
Louder
SpectreFate
Joe
Troublezone
Fat Freddy
mc666
MetalGuy71
bassman
A Handful of Wayne
holydiver97595
metalinmyveins
sheets
Lari
7thSaviour
Sabbath In Solitude
sam
Metal Misfit
Mglaffas81
Damien Solta
the sentinel
Thrasher73
Schbopo
thejokeriv
Temple of Blood
manny
XYZ
zombiewalkin
TheGooch
kmorg
87 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 25 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

All things Metallica - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 20, 2011 12:49 pm

manny wrote:
exact33 wrote:
manny wrote:
chewie wrote:
I think it would have been more appropriate if Metallica backed Lou Reed on a re-imagined Metal Machine Music.

Please don't give Metallica and Lou Reed any ideas!!!

they could re-record 'St. Anger' together!

Geez the horror !!!!!!!!!!!

i dont know - trash can technology has increased a lot since that recording...

Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 20, 2011 12:54 pm

Not a Lou Reed fan, this doesn't sound like it will be good to my ears but I would need to hear some more samples before coming to a final decision.

I wonder if Rob & Kirk are into this project as much as James & Lars are. Oh well. They're just there to play and get paid. Laughing

I hope we don't have to wait another 3-5 years before they put something else out.

Last edited by Metal Misfit on Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
mr.electric39
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

Number of posts : 1828

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 20, 2011 12:56 pm

After a long absence from my CD player Master of Puppets made an appearance.... Sort of refreshing after not listening to it for who knows how many years.... Just one of those albums that gets over played and burn out sets in....

All things Metallica - Page 10 506406
Back to top Go down
http://www.whitethronereviews.blogspot.com
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 20, 2011 1:12 pm

Metal Misfit wrote:
I wonder if Rob & Kirk are into this project as much as James & Lars are.

I'd even question James' enthusaism. This sounds like an artsy-fartsy Lars idea to me.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 20, 2011 2:04 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Metal Misfit wrote:

I'd even question James' enthusaism. This sounds like an artsy-fartsy Lars idea to me.

Don't be so sure about that...

I read this a couple of weeks ago:

Hammett explained that the outbursts occurred while they were recording a song called "Junior Dad", saying, "I had just lost my father literally three or four weeks previous. I had to run out of the control room, and I found myself standing in the kitchen, sobbing away. James came into the kitchen in the same condition — he was sobbing, too. It was insane."

The lyrics that apparently got to the two metal men were "Say hello to junior dad/The greatest disappointment/Age withered and changed him."

Hammett added, "[Reed] managed to take out both guitar players in METALLICA in one fell swoop, with his amazing poetic lyrics."

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=162445
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 20, 2011 2:07 pm

Anyone know if Metallica/Reed plan to do any live performances to support this record? Imagine Hetfield belting out a thrashin version of Lou's "Take a Walk on the Wild Side" ("Heyyyy baaaabe-AH! Take a walk on the wild siiiiide-AHH! YEEEAAAAAHHHH!") or Lou singing "Metal Militia." Laughing very hard

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 20, 2011 2:20 pm

metalinmyveins wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
Metal Misfit wrote:

Hammett explained that the outbursts occurred while they were recording a song called "Junior Dad", saying, "I had just lost my father literally three or four weeks previous. I had to run out of the control room, and I found myself standing in the kitchen, sobbing away. James came into the kitchen in the same condition — he was sobbing, too. It was insane."

The lyrics that apparently got to the two metal men were "Say hello to junior dad/The greatest disappointment/Age withered and changed him."

Hammett added, "[Reed] managed to take out both guitar players in METALLICA in one fell swoop, with his amazing poetic lyrics."

[url=http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=162445
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=162445[/quote[/url]]

So James got all weepy and grew a vagina because of Lou's "amazing poetic lyrics". So what. Doesn't prove that he thought this was a good idea. Eh, whatever. Those guys are free to do whatever the hell they want. I'm free to listen or not. Probably the latter.

Metal novice
Metal novice

Number of posts : 4

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 20, 2011 2:43 pm

I think only way Lou Reed w/ Metallica would be good is if Loud Reed sang like James does on the demos with the whole "na na na" and James does backing "yehah!" Then at least there will be comedy. Like St. Anger that was a good laugh.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 20, 2011 2:48 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
metalinmyveins wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
Metal Misfit wrote:

[url=http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=162445
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=162445[/quote[/url]]

So James got all weepy and grew a vagina because of Lou's "amazing poetic lyrics". So what. Doesn't prove that he thought this was a good idea. Eh, whatever. Those guys are free to do whatever the hell they want. I'm free to listen or not. Probably the latter.

If my memory serves me correctly, I think Kirk has always been the biggest fan regarding Lou Reed/Velvet Underground. I just think it's funny how Lars gets blamed for everything. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 20, 2011 2:57 pm

Quote :
I just think it's funny how Lars gets blamed for everything. Very Happy

He makes it so easy.

All things Metallica - Page 10 Lars19xc

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 20, 2011 5:32 pm

Metallica and Lou Reed are both at a point in their careers they have nothing to prove, have more money then God, and want to do this vanity project, that apparently is being released independantly.

I predict this will be the lowest selling album in Metallica's discography and one of the highest selling Lou Reed albums, who is well regarded by critics, music fans of all stripes but his commerical success (outside of touring) has been hit or miss.

At 69 Lou Reed has touched upon every career high and this is good way too challenge himself, like him or not, the man has never played it safe or did anything just to make him money.

I don't regard Lou Reed any more artisy fartisy then any other artist, if anything his lyrics at times can be distrubing and quite real.
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 20, 2011 9:00 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
I guess this is the cover?

All things Metallica - Page 10 Lulucover

I'm firmly in the interested-but-not-excited camp. I curious to hear how this works out.

I was thinking of something about this cover. I wonder what they used to write the word LULU. Looks like left overs from the Load/Reload albums.

Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5067

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 20, 2011 9:03 pm

I just listened to that sample, and BLECH. I will definitely not be getting this.
Back to top Go down
arachnoplasma
Metal student
Metal student
arachnoplasma

Number of posts : 244

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 20, 2011 9:17 pm

I wonder how Lou Reed fans are taking to the sample clip? Seems most Metallica / metal fans are up in arms over it. I'm really, really trying to be open minded and withhold judgement until the full song or album is available, just for the sake of being fair and nice, but, man... that didn't exactly cause a new planetary configuration to form in my universe, to say the least.

I think this is going to be Metallica's Jazz Odyssey. Maybe they can do the musical about Saucy Jack next.
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 20, 2011 9:20 pm

Metal-On-Metal wrote:
I just listened to that sample, and BLECH. I will definitely not be getting this.

its just a sample though. Also the song is called The View and I can see why he's talking over the music. If every song is like this then yea it just might suck but I honestly don't think its going to suck. I know a lot of people gave up on Metallica. I'm still a fan and I'm still insterested in what they do and I want to hear this. With the exception of St. Anger they really haven't done their fans wrong. Yea they grew into a whole different band but who doesn't. If they kept playing thrash their entire career they wouldn't have gotten as far as they did. They aren't affraid to take risks and usually they seem to do pretty good. If they didn't think this Lou Reed thing was going to work I don't think they would have put their name on it, but then theres that saying that anything with their name on it will sell thats a whole other argument. I still want to hear more from this project. If your expecting Kill Em All, Ride The Lightening, Master Of Puppets Etc. then of course you won't like this.

Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5067

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 20, 2011 10:43 pm

Well, I know it's not gonna be groundbreaking by any means, but I hoped this would be cool. They could have picked a better sample. I have never gotten into Lou Reed though, so that may be a big factor in me not liking it.
Back to top Go down
MEGATRON
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
MEGATRON

Number of posts : 364

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2011 12:45 am

That's gotta be one of the worst album covers I've seen in my life. sick
Back to top Go down
Mglaffas81
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

Number of posts : 2256

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2011 3:00 am

Phoenix Reign Drummer wrote:
Metal-On-Metal wrote:

its just a sample though. Also the song is called The View and I can see why he's talking over the music. If every song is like this then yea it just might suck but I honestly don't think its going to suck. I know a lot of people gave up on Metallica. I'm still a fan and I'm still insterested in what they do and I want to hear this. With the exception of St. Anger they really haven't done their fans wrong. Yea they grew into a whole different band but who doesn't. If they kept playing thrash their entire career they wouldn't have gotten as far as they did. They aren't affraid to take risks and usually they seem to do pretty good. If they didn't think this Lou Reed thing was going to work I don't think they would have put their name on it, but then theres that saying that anything with their name on it will sell thats a whole other argument. I still want to hear more from this project. If your expecting Kill Em All, Ride The Lightening, Master Of Puppets Etc. then of course you won't like this.

Agree 100% - Never really listened to any of Lou Reed's stuff, so that keeps me from being biased on that part, at least. That sample does sound quite boring, but nothing that makes me write this album off immediatly - that's just ignorant. I actually don't think the cover is that bad - it's not great, but there are certainly worse covers out there.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2011 8:24 am

MEGATRON wrote:
That's gotta be one of the worst album covers I've seen in my life. sick

yeah. This one seems bound for the $1 bin...

arachnoplasma
Metal student
Metal student
arachnoplasma

Number of posts : 244

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2011 2:50 pm

I just realized that the first single will be released on September 27th, the 25th anniversary of Cliff Burton's death. I wonder if that was intentional. And if Cliff will be rolling in his grave... Razz
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2011 2:52 pm

arachnoplasma wrote:
I just realized that the first single will be released on September 27th, the 25th anniversary of Cliff Burton's death. I wonder if that was intentional. And if Cliff will be rolling in his grave... Razz

Cliff Burton may have liked it, he was a fan of not just metal and punk, and had a broad taste in music according to his band mates and biographers of the band.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 10 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 4:33 pm

manny wrote:
arachnoplasma wrote:

Cliff Burton may have liked it, he was a fan of not just metal and punk, and had a broad taste in music according to his band mates and biographers of the band.

Judging from this bit I just read in Mick Wall's "Enter Night: A Biography of Metallica," I'd say Cliff would've been all for this collaboration.

"Cliff liked everything from Bach to Black Sabbath, from Pink Floyd to the Velvet Underground, from Lynrd Skynrd to R.E.M. As Lars told me in 2009, 'Cliff turned me and James onto a lot of stuff at the time, from Peter Gabriel to ZZ Top and a lot of stuff that we didn't really know. He flew the flag for bands like Yes. We'd never really experienced that stuff. At the same time, he had never heard much Diamond Head or Saxon, or anything like that, so there was definitely a cool give-and-take there."

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 10 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 4:47 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
manny wrote:
arachnoplasma wrote:

Judging from this bit I just read in Mick Wall's "Enter Night: A Biography of Metallica," I'd say Cliff would've been all for this collaboration.

"Cliff liked everything from Bach to Black Sabbath, from Pink Floyd to the Velvet Underground, from Lynrd Skynrd to R.E.M. As Lars told me in 2009, 'Cliff turned me and James onto a lot of stuff at the time, from Peter Gabriel to ZZ Top and a lot of stuff that we didn't really know. He flew the flag for bands like Yes. We'd never really experienced that stuff. At the same time, he had never heard much Diamond Head or Saxon, or anything like that, so there was definitely a cool give-and-take there."

Yeah, Cliff's love for R.E.M. was legendary, and supposedly he wanted Metallica to cover Free Bird badly, but the band nixed that idea. One of the funny stories from the book "Frayed Ends of Metal" (I think...) was when Cliff drove Kirk to the hospital sometime in or around '84, because Kirk had sustained whiplash from a car accident. On the ride to the hospital, Cliff is driving and playing the air drums to Skynyrd all the while hitting the brakes a little bit harder than Kirk would have liked. Cliff was also really into the Eagles.

I remember Lars always defending the whole symphony thing in '99 by stating how Cliff would have been the first person to sign up for that whole deal. Based on Cliff's background, I totally accept that opinion from Lars. Cliff took music theory classes at a local college, and was heavily into classical music.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 10 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 4:50 pm

All of you!! Quit tarnishing the cool legacy of Cliff Burton by stating all these sh*t bands he was into. Evil or Very Mad

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 25, 2011 1:32 am

What a mess.

I'm not sure anyone recorded their parts with any knowledge of what the other guys were doing, and then they did a mash-up.

This thing is atrocious.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 10 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

All things Metallica
Page 10 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 25 ... 40  Next