Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

All things Metallica

Go down 
+83
Orion Crystal Ice
Cliffy
corplhicks
Thelemech
Hadley
MetalRob331
ElectricEye93
Chrome Locust
stormspell
Rami Airola
Boris2008
Dark Horseman
Addy
ShadowAngel
DevZor
Spyder Jonez
MoonChild
EmoElmo
Witchfinder
fingers
stpatrik
Leatherface
metalhead777
Tur-Thalion
Arjun_M
Required Fields
Grimmo
Doomdance
Chairman_Smith
Rex
EvyMetal
Vexer6
DeathCult
Alex Dee Rokket
Lurideath
Wurthless
reapermetal
mr.electric39
DallasBlack
MEGATRON
arachnoplasma
chewie
mlotek
The_Jayroh
GrandNational
tohostudios
ultmetal
Approval Guy
exact33
James B.
Shawn Of Fire
Eyesore
Gilbert
Louder
SpectreFate
Joe
Troublezone
Fat Freddy
mc666
MetalGuy71
bassman
A Handful of Wayne
holydiver97595
metalinmyveins
sheets
Lari
7thSaviour
Sabbath In Solitude
sam
Metal Misfit
Mglaffas81
Damien Solta
the sentinel
Thrasher73
Schbopo
thejokeriv
Temple of Blood
manny
XYZ
zombiewalkin
TheGooch
kmorg
87 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 32 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

All things Metallica - Page 25 Empty
PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 25 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 1:31 pm

I found Beyond Magnetic to be terrible. James's vocals are amazingly bad. Lars's drumming is pathetic and the lyrical content is a joke. Some nice riffs here and there but they even rip themselves off by "quoting" the riff from "Fuel." Ugh.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 25 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 2:13 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Spyder Jonez wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Quote :
I instead came to the realization that Metallica is actually pretty lazy and the second most overrated band in history, second only to The Beatles.

I stopped reading after this statement...sheesh.

How can anyone "overrate" decades of impact, influence and sustainability.

It was in the part you supposedly didn't read: "good God, the way people go on about this band... The way *I* used to go on about this band you'd think they were pumping out all this killer material for the last 30 years instead of for the last 20 spending their time attempting to hop from trend to trend while pumping out filler in between."

While i'm sure that is somehow James Hetfield's fathers fault the point still stands.

"Filler" and "trend hopping" being in the (clearly jaded) ear of the listener not withstanding, that doesn't negate the impact that Metallica's first 10 years have had and continue to have on Metal fans/Metal musicians.
And what trends were they hopping onto? Sure, the black album was clearly a shift toward the mainstream. Musically, though, it set the trend; it didn't copy anything. Load and Reload deviated from that so much, it again set the trend. They weren't copying anything with those albums. The St. Anger came along...and again, it wasn't following a trend at all. It's a crap album, of course, but it was no copy-cat, bandwagon-jumping album. Nor was Death Magnetic.

I don't get where people insist Metallica followed trends and sold out and all that. It doesn't make sense.

That's what I'm saying...I agree. "Selling out" means doing something don't want to do simply to make more money. Metallica (James & Lars, at least) has never, ever done anything they did not want to do. They certainly never followed "trends"...that's just silly.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 25 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 2:17 pm

They sort of did follow some trends. I've read interviews on St. Anger where they claimed they "wanted" to include guitar solos but it was suggested that guitar solos weren't cool anymore so they were left off. I've also read interviews about Load where the band were purposely trying to stay relevant. They obviously succeeded.

I like Metallica. I'm not one of the haters, but I think it's fairly obvious that they followed a trend or two in their history.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 25 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 2:26 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
I found Beyond Magnetic to be terrible. James's vocals are amazingly bad. Lars's drumming is pathetic and the lyrical content is a joke. Some nice riffs here and there but they even rip themselves off by "quoting" the riff from "Fuel." Ugh.

Its funny how we all process music differently, I bought the EP and loved it, I cannot speak about the lyrics since I did not pay attention to them, the music IMO was great.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 25 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 2:35 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Spyder Jonez wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Quote :
I instead came to the realization that Metallica is actually pretty lazy and the second most overrated band in history, second only to The Beatles.

I stopped reading after this statement...sheesh.

How can anyone "overrate" decades of impact, influence and sustainability.

It was in the part you supposedly didn't read: "good God, the way people go on about this band... The way *I* used to go on about this band you'd think they were pumping out all this killer material for the last 30 years instead of for the last 20 spending their time attempting to hop from trend to trend while pumping out filler in between."

While i'm sure that is somehow James Hetfield's fathers fault the point still stands.

"Filler" and "trend hopping" being in the (clearly jaded) ear of the listener not withstanding, that doesn't negate the impact that Metallica's first 10 years have had and continue to have on Metal fans/Metal musicians.
And what trends were they hopping onto? Sure, the black album was clearly a shift toward the mainstream. Musically, though, it set the trend; it didn't copy anything. Load and Reload deviated from that so much, it again set the trend. They weren't copying anything with those albums. The St. Anger came along...and again, it wasn't following a trend at all. It's a crap album, of course, but it was no copy-cat, bandwagon-jumping album. Nor was Death Magnetic.

I don't get where people insist Metallica followed trends and sold out and all that. It doesn't make sense.

That's what I'm saying...I agree. "Selling out" means doing something don't want to do simply to make more money. Metallica (James & Lars, at least) has never, ever done anything they did not want to do. They certainly never followed "trends"...that's just silly.

Metallica absolutely follow trends. Currently they are following the trend of nostalgia. Load/Reload followed the grunge trend. The Black Album was trying to emulate the sound of The Cult (I am not kidding, Lars was obsessed with their drum sound.) St. Anger was such a mess because they had no trend to really emulate. Don't believe me - read this: http://www.amazon.com/Enter-Night-Biography-Mick-Wall/dp/0312649894/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1328816087&sr=1-1
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 25 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 2:49 pm

Load and Reload sound nothing like grunge. The black album sounds nothing like The Cult. And right, St. Anger was just a mess because they couldn't copy something? Come on, dude.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 25 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 2:57 pm

Calling Load/Reload "grunge" is incredibly convenient and shortsighted...those albums don't even come close to "grunge"...in any way. Those albums are blues based, heavy rock/metal albums with catchy songs.

I can't comment on the drum sound (other than it sounding amazing) but the black album sounding like The Cult?? It sounds NOTHING like The Cult...

mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 25 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 3:01 pm

The only thing they have in common with the Cult is they both were produced by Bob Rock, and Lars was obsessed with an album right before the recording of the black metal, Motley Crue's Dr Feelgood, and the reason they hired Bob Rock to produce the self titled album.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 25 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 3:28 pm

manny wrote:
The only thing they have in common with the Cult is they both were produced by Bob Rock, and Lars was obsessed with an album right before the recording of the black metal, Motley Crue's Dr Feelgood, and the reason they hired Bob Rock to produce the self titled album.

Exactly - Lars wanted that big drum sound and James wanted that big sounds the Rock brought to Dr Feelgood
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 25 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 3:33 pm

I never thought that 'Load' sounded grunge, that album stylistically is all over the place, modern rock, pop type tunes, a Southern fried type song, and of course a bit of metal.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40564

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 25 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 3:47 pm

Whatever you want to call Load & Re Load stylistically,in my opinion they're very poorly done and are Metallica's worst releases. I bought Load on the day of release and was very disappointed. I traded it in not long after and never gave it another chance. All the songs I've heard from Reload on the radio and where ever else just did nothing for me so I never even bothered with it.

I never heard a song off St. Anger but just from about everyone's opinion I'm not going to waste my money on it. I did give Death Magnetic a chance and did like it. Way better than the aforementioned releases. I may be getting the EP. I didn't even know anything about it til I read about it here.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17155

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 25 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 3:49 pm

I don't like the Load albums at all... Currently Metallica's worst album ever is St Anger. Because as far as I know, Lulu is considered a Lou Reed album.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 25 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 3:55 pm

I think Load and Reload are great albums. Sure, the best songs from each could have made one outstanding album, but no song in my opinion is an outright stinker. They're all at least good, so I enjoy them quite a bit.

St. Anger is one of the worst albums ever.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 25 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 4:04 pm

Eyesore wrote:
I think Load and Reload are great albums. Sure, the best songs from each could have made one outstanding album, but no song in my opinion is an outright stinker. They're all at least good, so I enjoy them quite a bit.

I think they could've made a decent EP with some of the Load/Reload songs...

Last edited by Troublezone on Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 25 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 4:07 pm

Eyesore wrote:

Though Lars thinks St. Anger will be revered like that of Born Again: Interview Circa '08

We played in Germany the other day, we played a song from "St. Anger". You've got to give "St. Anger" some love. A guy was doing an interview from a couple of weeks ago said, "You know that album? You know an album called 'Born Again'? Of course I do. BLACK SABBATH, "Zero the Hero", one of the best BLACK SABBATH albums. He goes, "Exactly, that's exactly my point. Twenty years from now, 'St Anger' will be BLACK SABBATH's 'Born Again', 'cause when 'Born Again' came out, everybody hated it, and now it's one of the most revered BLACK SABBATH albums. You wait and see, 'St. Anger' will be 'Born Again'."

Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 25 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 4:08 pm

metalinmyveins wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

Though Lars thinks St. Anger will be revered like that of Born Again: Interview Circa '08

We played in Germany the other day, we played a song from "St. Anger". You've got to give "St. Anger" some love. A guy was doing an interview from a couple of weeks ago said, "You know that album? You know an album called 'Born Again'? Of course I do. BLACK SABBATH, "Zero the Hero", one of the best BLACK SABBATH albums. He goes, "Exactly, that's exactly my point. Twenty years from now, 'St Anger' will be BLACK SABBATH's 'Born Again', 'cause when 'Born Again' came out, everybody hated it, and now it's one of the most revered BLACK SABBATH albums. You wait and see, 'St. Anger' will be 'Born Again'."

Laughing very hard

You laugh, but that's entirely possible...
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 25 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 4:10 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
metalinmyveins wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

Laughing very hard

Highly unlikely, but possible... Considering the lame brains of modern times.

Last edited by Troublezone on Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 25 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 4:11 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
metalinmyveins wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

Laughing very hard

What can I say, I don't believe that album will ever reach that status, and this comes from a fan boy of Metallica. Granted, "Born Again" had it's production issues, but "St. Anger" was beyond a production nightmare, plus no guitar solos on that record will not help that album age at all...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 25 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 4:32 pm

25 pages of BITCHING! YAY! It must be a Metallica thread! lol!
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 25 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 4:44 pm

I find it bizarre that someone would honestly argue that Load/Reload were not an attempt by Metallica to cash in on the "alternative rock" scene of the day. They changed their imagine, artwork, logo, sound etc... to reflect what THEY thought would sell. St. Anger is an album written by a band that is adrift, without any sense of the type of sound they wanted. The Black Album was clearly an attempt to go commercial. Can anyone honestly argue that ANY of those albums is ground-breaking???? Get real here. I like the Black Album but it's a very conventional hard rock/metal album. Load is about half okay and Reload is terrible. St. Anger is best not spoken about.

Back to top Go down
Vexer6
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

Number of posts : 1307

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 25 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 4:46 pm

Even the band members have recently expressed their distaste for St. Anger, and they almost never play any of those songs live("Frantic" sometimes shows up once in a blue moon)
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 25 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 4:56 pm

Vexer6 wrote:
Even the band members have recently expressed their distaste for St. Anger, and they almost never play any of those songs live("Frantic" sometimes shows up once in a blue moon)

That's odd... Lars always defends that piece of crap.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 25 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 4:57 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
metalinmyveins wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

Laughing very hard

But the reaction to Born Again, I'm assuming, was due to line-up changes and whatnot. The problem with St. Anger is that it's virtually unlistenable. It assaults the senses, and not in a good way. Born Again isn't like that.

But sure, someday that album might become a classic. Somewhere down the line, the kids might really enjoy horrible-horrible noise, and St. Anger will be held aloft as a classic.

And hopefully I'm dead when it happens.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 25 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 4:58 pm

Quote :
Somewhere down the line, the kids might really enjoy horrible-horrible noise, and St. Anger will be held aloft as a classic.

I see it happening now. "Screamo" is proof.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 25 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 4:58 pm

Born Again had great tunes, Ian Gillan working at the top of his game, Iommi dropping legendary riffs like Zero The Hero...

St. Anger has that tin can snare drum...and that's about it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 25 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

All things Metallica
Page 25 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 32 ... 40  Next