Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Grip Inc. Vocalist Dies

Go down 
+12
TheGooch
nevermore
sam
A Handful of Wayne
Temple of Blood
Thrasher73
metalinmyveins
ultmetal
Stender
Lurideath
manny
Fat Freddy
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

Grip Inc. Vocalist Dies Empty
PostSubject: Grip Inc. Vocalist Dies   Grip Inc. Vocalist Dies Icon_minitimeFri Oct 17, 2008 2:42 pm

Just saw this on Blabbermouth...

Former GRIP INC. vocalist Gus Chambers passed away on October 13, 2008 at the age of 52. Chambers, who resided in Coventry, England, reportedly took his own life.

According to the Coventry Telegraph, Chambers made a name for himself in the UK punk scene as the frontman for SQUAD in the late '70s. He later took his skills as a top notch front-man to the new band 21 GUNS. They released the single "Ambition Rock" on Neville Staples's Shack Records.

Gus later moved to America and formed SONS OF DAMNATION before hooking up with SLAYER drummer Dave Lombardo and German guitarist Waldemar Sorychta in GRIP INC. They released three acclaimed albums in the mid-to-late '90s — "Power of Inner Strength" (1995), "Nemesis" (1997), and "Solidify" (1999) — and finally came back with a fourth entitled "Incorporated" in 2004, which was greeted as a true return to form by the critics.

Gus w as most recently a member of the Coventry, UK punk band MANTRA SECT which was scheduled to play its next concert tonight (Friday, October 17).

In an October 15, 2008 online posting, MANTRA SECT bassist Wendy X stated about Gus' decision to take his own life, "My emotions are swimming round and round in my head, trying to comprehend it all, so I will not say too much on here except to say to everyone that has asked why, as I do myself, that we were always, as normal, constantly in contact with him (myself virtually daily) yet none of us saw this coming. Nor many other friends that also constantly kept in touch with him either. We are at a loss about why. My usual daily phone calls with Gus all the days leading up to this didn't give any clue whatsoever that anything was THIS wrong."

"I've been very lucky in my career," Gus once said, according to the Coventry Telegraph. "I have had the privilege of playing in front of thousands of people at festivals like Rock in Rio and the Dynamo festival in Holland. Nothing though brings back fonder memories than playing in front of maybe 20 or 30 people in The Hand and Heart or the back room of The Swanswell."

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Grip Inc. Vocalist Dies   Grip Inc. Vocalist Dies Icon_minitimeFri Oct 17, 2008 2:51 pm

I was not a fan but I hate to hear when someone kills themselves. I hope he is at peace now, he sounds like he was a tormented soul.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Grip Inc. Vocalist Dies   Grip Inc. Vocalist Dies Icon_minitimeFri Oct 17, 2008 2:52 pm

I had the first Grip Inc. album years ago but traded it off. It was a decent enough record I suppose but not a classic.

Still a shame to hear about this.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3906

PostSubject: Re: Grip Inc. Vocalist Dies   Grip Inc. Vocalist Dies Icon_minitimeFri Oct 17, 2008 2:55 pm

This is a sad day and a shame that this happened.
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: Grip Inc. Vocalist Dies   Grip Inc. Vocalist Dies Icon_minitimeFri Oct 17, 2008 2:58 pm

Thats very, very unfortunate, I never listened to any of the music he was involved in but it is always pretty disturbing to me when I hear someone killed themselve. I still believe taking your own life has got to be one of the most selfish acts possible, I believe a person can pull through no matter the circumstances IMO.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Grip Inc. Vocalist Dies   Grip Inc. Vocalist Dies Icon_minitimeFri Oct 17, 2008 2:59 pm

Well that sucks. Very sad news.

PostSubject: Re: Grip Inc. Vocalist Dies   Grip Inc. Vocalist Dies Icon_minitimeFri Oct 17, 2008 3:34 pm

Wow. That sucks my ass. Grip Inc. is one of my favorite bands and I've always thought Gus had one of the baddest metal voices out there. He just performed a Grip Inc. set with Enemy of the Sun, Waldemar Sorychta's new band.

Terrible news. =(
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Grip Inc. Vocalist Dies   Grip Inc. Vocalist Dies Icon_minitimeFri Oct 17, 2008 3:42 pm

Yeah, I read this on metalrules.com. I only have one Grip Inc. album, but this is sad to hear. One always wonders if there was anyone close around him that saw this as a possibility. I hope there weren't any visible warning signs that could've prevented Gus from taking his life (guilt is a terrible thing to live with).

On an even sadder note, there is an article just below this story (on metalrules), describing the last days of Blayze Bailey's wife. Blayze really opened up about everything. It's one thing to read about the loss of someone, but when you find out about that person's last moments, well, it takes on a whole new meaning....

....that being, cherish your time with friends and loved ones, and NEVER take anything for granted!

Peace....

http://www.metal-rules.com/news.php?months=2008-10#6435
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Grip Inc. Vocalist Dies   Grip Inc. Vocalist Dies Icon_minitimeFri Oct 17, 2008 4:16 pm

Sad news indeed.I thought Gus had a great voice even though I didnt listen to much Grip Inc.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Grip Inc. Vocalist Dies   Grip Inc. Vocalist Dies Icon_minitimeFri Oct 17, 2008 4:18 pm

Very sad new indeed. One of my best friends from school committed suicide and I've never really completely gotten over it.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Grip Inc. Vocalist Dies   Grip Inc. Vocalist Dies Icon_minitimeFri Oct 17, 2008 4:28 pm

I also had a few friends who have commited suicide and it haunts you. It is terrible tragedy.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Grip Inc. Vocalist Dies   Grip Inc. Vocalist Dies Icon_minitimeFri Oct 17, 2008 4:36 pm

My cousin commited suicide a few years ago. He was 18. No one had a clue. The thing is, people have no idea what will trigger that emotional disconnect. My cousin had just broken up with his girlfriend, and that was apparently enough. My cousin was found in the garage, his feet dangling about two feet off the ground, but just an inch or two below the bench that he stepped off of. He didn't jump and break his neck. He stepped off and slowly killed himself. He only had to step back onto that bench to save his life, but he didn't do that. Why? What made him so determined to kill himself?

Maybe what he did was selfish and cowardly. But who's to say it wasn't brave? Suicide is a tough thing to deal with, but there have been times in my life where I completely understand how that emotional disconnect can come in a flash. Right now I'm facing financial ruin thanks to my own mother. I am pretty positive this house I co-signed for her will be foreclosed on. If I owned a gun, there were times when this first came to light when that gun might have become the most dangerous thing I've ever faced. Just brief flashes, moments of unclear thinking. But that's all it takes.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Grip Inc. Vocalist Dies   Grip Inc. Vocalist Dies Icon_minitimeFri Oct 17, 2008 4:39 pm

My best friend from high school committed suicide while I was away in college. That sucked! I couldn't even afford to fly home to go to the funeral. It was really hard. My fiance went in my place as she was still living there.

Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Grip Inc. Vocalist Dies   Grip Inc. Vocalist Dies Icon_minitimeFri Oct 17, 2008 4:43 pm

It's not brave. I have had 3 friends kill themselves and there is nothing brave about it. It's brave to soldier on, face your challenges to the best of your ability, and live out all your days with integrity.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Grip Inc. Vocalist Dies   Grip Inc. Vocalist Dies Icon_minitimeFri Oct 17, 2008 4:43 pm

I am only writing this because well, because....even if you face financial ruin, there will be a reprieve at some point. Nothing lasts forever even if it seems that way. I wish I were more punchy with my thoughts to make them be more effective, but there is always an end to everything and there isn't one person on this board that isn't worth saving.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Grip Inc. Vocalist Dies   Grip Inc. Vocalist Dies Icon_minitimeFri Oct 17, 2008 4:59 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
It's not brave. I have had 3 friends kill themselves and there is nothing brave about it. It's brave to soldier on, face your challenges to the best of your ability, and live out all your days with integrity.
I never said it was brave. I said who's to say. Not you. Not me. We have no idea what goes on in someone's head. Is it cowardly to end it all, or brave to give up so much? Maybe a bit of both. Either way, unless you're the one on the end of that rope or at the end of that gun barrel, you have no idea. No one does.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Grip Inc. Vocalist Dies   Grip Inc. Vocalist Dies Icon_minitimeFri Oct 17, 2008 5:03 pm

spectrefate wrote:
I am only writing this because well, because....even if you face financial ruin, there will be a reprieve at some point. Nothing lasts forever even if it seems that way. I wish I were more punchy with my thoughts to make them be more effective, but there is always an end to everything and there isn't one person on this board that isn't worth saving.
Oh, I know this. All I'm saying is that there are times recently that if a gun had been in front of me, it might have been all over. I'm not suicidal. I'm not even angry. But that doesn't mean anything. You ever throw something in frustration only to watch it break and think, "Well, that was stupid." You regretted it, right? Putting a gun to your head and pulling the trigger can be no different than that brief lapse of throwing a cup or a remote or whatever. There's more of a finality to the former, but what gets both instances to that point is the same.

Why am I being all philosophical today?
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Grip Inc. Vocalist Dies   Grip Inc. Vocalist Dies Icon_minitimeFri Oct 17, 2008 6:59 pm

WOW! Thats really surprising to hear. Thats a shame. I like Grip Inc. too got all their stuff except for the last album. Still cant believe this news.

I never had anyone close to me or in my family commit suicide thankfully but I know other people who have had their friends or family do it. What Eyesore says though is true. Some people act on their thoughts for the moment no matter if its smart or stupid. I felt like this when I was younger sometimes but never acted on it. Now I realize its just stupid to even think about it cause in some cases things turn around.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: Grip Inc. Vocalist Dies   Grip Inc. Vocalist Dies Icon_minitimeFri Oct 17, 2008 7:02 pm

this sucks. R.I.P. guy.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: Grip Inc. Vocalist Dies   Grip Inc. Vocalist Dies Icon_minitimeFri Oct 17, 2008 9:25 pm

Read this earlier. Terrible news. R.I.P.
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

PostSubject: Re: Grip Inc. Vocalist Dies   Grip Inc. Vocalist Dies Icon_minitimeFri Oct 17, 2008 10:09 pm

Rest in Peace
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Grip Inc. Vocalist Dies   Grip Inc. Vocalist Dies Icon_minitimeSat Oct 18, 2008 12:10 am

I actually "attempted" it once when I was about 21, took a bunch of pills and mixed it with alcohol, hoping that would end it. The only thing that actually happened was I get horrifically sick and threw up for 3 days. But I learned my lesson.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Grip Inc. Vocalist Dies   Grip Inc. Vocalist Dies Icon_minitimeSat Oct 18, 2008 12:31 am

detuned wrote:
I actually "attempted" it once when I was about 21, took a bunch of pills and mixed it with alcohol, hoping that would end it. The only thing that actually happened was I get horrifically sick and threw up for 3 days. But I learned my lesson.

I don't know what to say to this, but I'm glad that you didn't succeed. Have you been able to offer any advice to anyone else who thought about going down that rode?

Congrats on your 1,000th post.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Grip Inc. Vocalist Dies   Grip Inc. Vocalist Dies Icon_minitimeSat Oct 18, 2008 12:47 am

Here's a rare Grip Inc. tune.

PAINT IT BLACK

They used to do it live, but this is a studio demo of it. Very cool take on the song. This one is a bit more original, though. It's up there with Rage's cover of it.

I do wish it was illegal to cover this song. Too many boring versions of it that are nearly identical.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Grip Inc. Vocalist Dies   Grip Inc. Vocalist Dies Icon_minitimeSat Oct 18, 2008 12:49 am

very sad news. he was a great frontman & singer. i love those 4 Grip Inc. albums very much. he will be missed.

i wonder what it was that made him feel that was the only option?

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Grip Inc. Vocalist Dies   Grip Inc. Vocalist Dies Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Grip Inc. Vocalist Dies
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next