Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Bloodgood news...

Go down 
+20
kmorg
Big Rich
corplhicks
Shawn Of Fire
mr.electric39
Dark Horseman
James B.
MetallicSeminarian
Infinite
thejokeriv
mikeinfla
Fat Freddy
bgsully
Addy
exact33
krokus
kethdredd
powermacho
T-Roy
ultmetal
24 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

Bloodgood news... - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bloodgood news...   Bloodgood news... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 04, 2013 12:41 pm

Bloodgood wrote:
Their platinum-selling sophomore record Detonation strengthened the band’s signature style of theatrics

...on what planet did anything by this band ever go "platinum?"

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
bgsully
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bgsully

Number of posts : 1692

PostSubject: Re: Bloodgood news...   Bloodgood news... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 04, 2013 12:45 pm

mikeinfla wrote:
Waiting on iTunes...

Me too.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Bloodgood news...   Bloodgood news... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 04, 2013 3:10 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Bloodgood wrote:
Their platinum-selling sophomore record Detonation strengthened the band’s signature style of theatrics

I was wondering the exact same thing! I'm not even sure they ever sold 1 million copies of their entire discography worldwide!

Maybe it went Platinum in a country where you need to sell 500 copies to go Platinum?????
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Bloodgood news...   Bloodgood news... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 04, 2013 4:50 pm

Oz should be able to write a check for 15,000 grand to finance this ? I mean dude is/was a millionaire. Kickstarter is lame. Lazy folks looking for handout. Try booking some gigs, sell some shirts, film a gig and sling the dvd online and/or at least try to do it the old fashioned way with some attempt to work to achieve a goal. yeah, let's risk somebody elses cash and give them little or nothing in return for that investment. But we'll keep any money made for ourselves. Bad business model all around. Taking advantage of anothers charity so they can come up is pretty weak (IMHDO)

Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Bloodgood news...   Bloodgood news... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 04, 2013 4:55 pm

I appreciate the guys who put it on Bandcamp and don't overcharge.
Back to top Go down
mr.electric39
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

Number of posts : 1828

PostSubject: Re: Bloodgood news...   Bloodgood news... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 04, 2013 11:47 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
Bloodgood wrote:

I was wondering the exact same thing! I'm not even sure they ever sold 1 million copies of their entire discography worldwide!

Maybe it went Platinum in a country where you need to sell 500 copies to go Platinum?????

My thoughts as well....

I remember hearing numbers in the 80,000 thousand range in 88 for Detonation(from pretty reliable sources).... and that was because they toured for 9 months and really burnt out... Their biggest selling disc....

back then that was a big deal unless you were Whitecross or later Bride..... who sold more because they had a more commercial acceptance...

Last edited by mr.electric39 on Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.whitethronereviews.blogspot.com
mr.electric39
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

Number of posts : 1828

PostSubject: Re: Bloodgood news...   Bloodgood news... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 04, 2013 11:50 pm

James B. wrote:
Oz should be able to write a check for 15,000 grand to finance this ?  I mean dude is/was a millionaire.   Kickstarter is lame.   Lazy folks looking for handout. Try booking some gigs, sell some shirts, film a gig and sling the dvd online and/or at least try to do it the old fashioned way with some attempt to work to achieve a goal.  yeah, let's risk somebody elses cash and give them little or nothing in return for that investment. But we'll keep any money made for ourselves.  Bad business model all around.  Taking advantage of anothers charity so they can come up is pretty weak (IMHDO)

Oz Fox wasnt a millionaire....

when Stryper wasn't touring they starved pretty much... It's all about publishing and Michael got the vast majority of songwriting credits... and thats how he made a bit of cash....

Honestly was a Sweet tune.... as were the other radio fodder from THWTD ..... all Sweet tunes....

Album sales helped to finance tours..... millionaires??? not a chance.....
Back to top Go down
http://www.whitethronereviews.blogspot.com
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Bloodgood news...   Bloodgood news... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 05, 2013 7:56 am

mr.electric39 wrote:
James B. wrote:
Oz should be able to write a check for 15,000 grand to finance this ?  I mean dude is/was a millionaire.   Kickstarter is lame.   Lazy folks looking for handout. Try booking some gigs, sell some shirts, film a gig and sling the dvd online and/or at least try to do it the old fashioned way with some attempt to work to achieve a goal.  yeah, let's risk somebody elses cash and give them little or nothing in return for that investment. But we'll keep any money made for ourselves.  Bad business model all around.  Taking advantage of anothers charity so they can come up is pretty weak (IMHDO)

Oz Fox wasnt a millionaire....

when Stryper wasn't touring they starved pretty much... It's all about publishing and Michael got the vast majority of songwriting credits... and thats how he made a bit of cash....

Honestly was a Sweet tune.... as were the other radio fodder from THWTD ..... all Sweet tunes....  

Album sales helped to finance tours..... millionaires???   not a chance.....

My thoughts exactly. I even remember in a recent interview Michael said the biggest check he ever got during their time in the spotlight was like $250K for publishing...and publishing is only paid once per quarter or so...some once every 6 months. So factor in that he made 90%+ of the publishing money and that puts the other guys at making probably, at the most, about what I make a year...and believe me I can't write a $15,000 check for anything.

And "sling DVDs"? DVDs cost money to film, edit, master, package and press...you think that crap just happens for free?

Even the smart guys who horded the money they made (like FireHouse) are not millionaires to this day.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Bloodgood news...   Bloodgood news... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 05, 2013 8:10 am

Quote :
I remember hearing numbers in the 80,000 thousand range in 88 for Detonation(from pretty reliable sources).... and that was because they toured for 9 months and really burnt out... Their biggest selling disc....

I remember reading an interview w/them in Heaven's Metal years ago where they said their label threw them a big party to celebrate the fact that Detonation had become (at that time) the biggest selling Christian metal album released by a Christian label.

...and the band members' reaction to this was "Ummmm....yeah? So?" cuz they still didn't have two nickels to rub together. Laughing very hard

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat

Last edited by Fat Freddy on Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: Bloodgood news...   Bloodgood news... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 05, 2013 9:47 am

Yeah DVD's are free, thanks for enlightening me Shawn. My point is do what a man is supposed to do work and make an effort to achieve a goal and not put the hand out. If bands came out and stated, we have played some shows and slung some product, saved up some of our own personal cash and are still short some money, I'd respect that and be happy to contribute. That might be the case with Bloodgood, who knows ? I don't...At least divulge that info and maybe others who think like me would change their view of the whole kickstrater thing ?

and Mr Electric have you spoken with Oz personally about his finances ? Then don't be so assured of yourself

I have sat in a friends home in Vegas and spoke with Robert Sweet for a few hours about Styper's days of glory. He said the guys made alot of unwise financial decisions but they all were millionaires at one time or another. Robert said most of the money he made while in Stryper came from concert tix and merchandising. That isn't directly from Oz's mouth, but I'll take his word about the topic over your speculation. After all he was there. yeah you're correct alot of money come from publishing. Songwriters get the bulk but band members also get performance royalties from album sales as well. Not much but still something. Like Robert told me. a bands money then and now came from ticket sales and merchandising. Album sales do finance tours but mostly in the case of a young band repaying the record company for the upfront money to get that initial tour going. If a a band is lucky enough to break out big. The tour should pay for itself and have some left over as profit and be used for the next one' Album sales finance record exec's salaries. Do the math sometime.... 20,oo seat arena at 10 bucks a pop is 200,000 and a 30 city tour of the US makes that about 6 million bucks. figure 1/2 of that 20 thousand are gonna buy something at 25 bucks per person average that is 25,000 dollars per 1000 people. Adds up quick. compared to 1 to 3 percent from record company royalties, this is where the real money is. I realize that Stryper didn't always play 20,000 seat arenas. I used a nice easy round figure to do the math and to give you some perspective on how much money can be earned.

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Bloodgood news...   Bloodgood news... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 05, 2013 9:56 am

James B. wrote:
Yeah DVD's are free, thanks for enlightening me Shawn.  My point is do what a man is supposed to do work and make an effort to achieve a goal and not put the hand out.

And my point was that if they need $15k to make an album, why would they pay to make a DVD to try and fund it? That made no sense. They both cost money.

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Bloodgood news...   Bloodgood news... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 05, 2013 10:02 am

Quote :
20,oo seat arena at 10 bucks a pop is 200,000 and a 30 city tour of the US makes that about 6 million bucks.

With which they have to pay taxes, management percentages, crew salaries, transportation expenses, lodging expenses (if they're not sleeping on the bus), merch costs, gear up-keep, THEN divide the rest between 4 people and get taxed again.

Also, did Stryper even get to the point of headlining actual 20,000 seat arenas consistently? When they toured w/ TNT during THWTD, they played places like Fox Theatre in Atlanta and Florida Theatre in Jacksonville...not the Omni or Jacksonville Coliseum.

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: Bloodgood news...   Bloodgood news... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 05, 2013 10:03 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
James B. wrote:
Yeah DVD's are free, thanks for enlightening me Shawn.  My point is do what a man is supposed to do work and make an effort to achieve a goal and not put the hand out.

And my point was that if they need $15k to make an album, why would they pay to make a DVD to try and fund it? That made no sense. They both cost money.

I see your point....I put the cart before the horse.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Bloodgood news...   Bloodgood news... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 05, 2013 10:06 am

Quote :

"Dudes! We sold 25 copies in Indonesia! We're platinum, baby!"

Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: Bloodgood news...   Bloodgood news... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 05, 2013 10:10 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Quote :
20,oo seat arena at 10 bucks a pop is 200,000 and a 30 city tour of the US makes that about 6 million bucks.

With which they have to pay taxes, management percentages, crew salaries, transportation expenses, lodging expenses (if they're not sleeping on the bus), merch costs, gear up-keep, THEN divide the rest between 4 people and get taxed again.

Also, did Stryper even get to the point of headlining actual 20,000 seat arenas consistently? When they toured w/ TNT during THWTD, they played places like Fox Theatre in Atlanta and Florida Theatre in Jacksonville...not the Omni or Jacksonville Coliseum.

I did put a disclaimer of sorts at the end of my post regarding their actual attendance and that particular number to be easy for mathmatical purposes. Just to show the kind of money that can be made. In So Calif for THWTD they played shows in Long Beach, El Lay, San Berdoo, and San Diego, Those places were 12,000 to 18,000 seat sheds. I was at all the shows. Like I said, just used a number to make the math easy. I am sure that more than half the attendees bought shirts too. The main point being, overhead aside. If alot of money wasn't to be made touring than why do it and just sit back and live off of the pennies on the dollar a band gets from record sales ?

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Bloodgood news...   Bloodgood news... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 05, 2013 10:32 am

James B. wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Quote :

I did put a disclaimer of sorts at the end of my post regarding their actual attendance and that particular number to be easy for mathmatical purposes. Just to show the kind of money that can be made.   In So Calif for THWTD they played shows in Long Beach, El Lay, San Berdoo, and San Diego, Those places were 12,000 to 18,000 seat sheds.   I was at all the shows. Like I said, just used a number to make the math easy.  I am sure that more than half the attendees bought shirts too. The main point being, overhead aside.  If alot of money wasn't to be made touring than why do it and just sit back and live off of the pennies on the dollar a band gets from record sales ?

I see what you're saying. I'm just making the observation that the $10 per ticket @ 20k people isn't straight math. Of that $10 for one ticket, the band probably split $2.50 4 ways. They toured to make a living...just like I sit here at a desk to make a living. THWTD sold a million copies, but the rest of the albums did not. Stryper was not Def Leppard or Bon Jovi.

Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Bloodgood news...   Bloodgood news... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 05, 2013 11:20 am

You've shattered my image of the rich rockstar. Now i'm thinking they should get bailouts. \'arry \'eadbanger 
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: Bloodgood news...   Bloodgood news... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 05, 2013 4:23 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Quote :

"Dudes! We sold 25 copies in Indonesia! We're platinum, baby!"

Laughing very hard 
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: Bloodgood news...   Bloodgood news... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 05, 2013 4:30 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
James B. wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Quote :

I did put a disclaimer of sorts at the end of my post regarding their actual attendance and that particular number to be easy for mathmatical purposes. Just to show the kind of money that can be made.   In So Calif for THWTD they played shows in Long Beach, El Lay, San Berdoo, and San Diego, Those places were 12,000 to 18,000 seat sheds.   I was at all the shows. Like I said, just used a number to make the math easy.  I am sure that more than half the attendees bought shirts too. The main point being, overhead aside.  If alot of money wasn't to be made touring than why do it and just sit back and live off of the pennies on the dollar a band gets from record sales ?

I see what you're saying. I'm just making the observation that the $10 per ticket @ 20k people isn't straight math. Of that $10 for one ticket, the band probably split $2.50 4 ways. They toured to make a living...just like I sit here at a desk to make a living. THWTD sold a million copies, but the rest of the albums did not. Stryper was not Def Leppard or Bon Jovi.

I'd buy that they made a million back in the day, and then proceeded to blow it all.... I read they were not doing well financially right before Michael left the band....

As far as the tour costs (road crew, trucks, etc), when they did the Arena tour (back half of THWTD tour, IGWT tour), they didn't have the huge stage/props/lighting/pyro that the mega selling bands had - keep those costs down and it adds up to more profit. They could have easily had a million in the bank by the end of THWTD or IGWT.

Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Bloodgood news...   Bloodgood news... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 06, 2013 10:52 am

I don't mind these Kickstarter programs but it seems many bands are asking a lot from the fans and giving very little in return. $20 for a digital download, $30 for a CD and $50 for an autographed CD is ridiculous.

With Flotsam & Jetsam they offered an autographed CD for $20 as part of their program, a regular CD for $15 with an advance digital download and weekly updates. Ultimatum pre-sold 4-disc box sets for $50, gave everyone who pre-purchased it a chance to win a guitar and other autographed memorabilia, as well as weekly updates. Everyone received something extra for their efforts.

If you are going to ask the fans to pay for your recording, give them something worth their money. Fans that do kickstarters are usually die-hards and they love things as simple as autographed set lists or lyric sheets. This costs very little to the artist but gives the fan something unique for "investing" in their project.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bgsully

Number of posts : 1692

PostSubject: Re: Bloodgood news...   Bloodgood news... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 06, 2013 11:18 am

ultmetal wrote:
I don't mind these Kickstarter programs but it seems many bands are asking a lot from the fans and giving very little in return. $20 for a digital download, $30 for a CD and $50 for an autographed CD is ridiculous.

With Flotsam & Jetsam they offered an autographed CD for $20 as part of their program, a regular CD for $15 with an advance digital download and weekly updates. Ultimatum pre-sold 4-disc box sets for $50, gave everyone who pre-purchased it a chance to win a guitar and other autographed memorabilia, as well as weekly updates. Everyone received something extra for their efforts.

If you are going to ask the fans to pay for your recording, give them something worth their money. Fans that do kickstarters are usually die-hards and they love things as simple as autographed set lists or lyric sheets. This costs very little to the artist but gives the fan something unique for "investing" in their project.

Agreed.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Bloodgood news...   Bloodgood news... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 06, 2013 11:42 am

Kickstarter is nothing more than a creative venture capital avenue, similar to angels. It's been around for AGES for small startups; it's just that the company kickstarter has made it internet-accessible. The problem is not artists seeking capital through kickstarter. It's that they tend see their funders as grantors rather than investors, and lazily there is no ROI involved. It's rather insulting.

But I see nothing wrong with an earnest band employing the kickstarter method as long as they give back as promised. It's not a lazy method at all...the band still has to work its ass off to put the record together and promote it.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Bloodgood news...   Bloodgood news... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 06, 2013 1:50 pm

I still think kickstarter will end up going away. Its still a somewhat novel idea for individual fans but i dont think its here to stay.

Big Rich
Metal master
Metal master
Big Rich

Number of posts : 677

PostSubject: Re: Bloodgood news...   Bloodgood news... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 07, 2013 11:31 am

Stryper never headlined arenas. They headlined theaters because nobody wanted them to open for them on an arena tour.

That being said, 30 bucks for a cd that I helped you pay to make is ridiculous.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: Bloodgood news...   Bloodgood news... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 07, 2013 12:46 pm

Big Rich wrote:
Stryper never headlined arenas. They headlined theaters because nobody wanted them to open for them on an arena tour.

That being said, 30 bucks for a cd that I helped you pay to make is ridiculous.

Actually, that's not correct - I saw them on the IGWT tour and it was at an arena, and Hurricane opened...... The week prior to the show, White Lion had been the opening act (who left the tour to do their own headlining gigs)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bloodgood news...   Bloodgood news... - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bloodgood news...
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next