Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

$ales predictions? Metallica vs. AC/DC

Go down 
+24
XYZ
tohostudios
Required Fields
arttieTHE1manparty
Metal Misfit
Wargod
sam
7thSecond
MetalRob331
Temple of Blood
thejokeriv
manny
the sentinel
TheGooch
Fat Freddy
ghost
Thrasher73
MetalGuy71
ultmetal
skullsmasher
mc666
Lurideath
GrandNational
Troublezone
28 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

$ales predictions? Metallica vs. AC/DC Empty
PostSubject: $ales predictions? Metallica vs. AC/DC   $ales predictions? Metallica vs. AC/DC Icon_minitimeWed Sep 10, 2008 2:49 am

Which album will do better sales wise... Metallica - Death Magnetic or AC/DC - Black Ice?
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: $ales predictions? Metallica vs. AC/DC   $ales predictions? Metallica vs. AC/DC Icon_minitimeWed Sep 10, 2008 2:55 am

Metallica, hands down, probably 5 to 1.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: $ales predictions? Metallica vs. AC/DC   $ales predictions? Metallica vs. AC/DC Icon_minitimeWed Sep 10, 2008 3:00 am

GrandNational wrote:

Probably at first but AC/DC seem to simmer to a boil and win people over in the long run.
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3906

PostSubject: Re: $ales predictions? Metallica vs. AC/DC   $ales predictions? Metallica vs. AC/DC Icon_minitimeWed Sep 10, 2008 3:08 am

AC/DC - Black Ice
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: $ales predictions? Metallica vs. AC/DC   $ales predictions? Metallica vs. AC/DC Icon_minitimeWed Sep 10, 2008 3:29 am

Metallica most likely

GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: $ales predictions? Metallica vs. AC/DC   $ales predictions? Metallica vs. AC/DC Icon_minitimeWed Sep 10, 2008 3:35 am

troublezone wrote:
GrandNational wrote:

Probably at first but AC/DC seem to simmer to a boil and win people over in the long run.

I just think Metallica has a wider spectrum of fans and are more commercial overall than AC/DC. Hope they both do well for the sake of this music.
Back to top Go down
skullsmasher
Metal master
Metal master
skullsmasher

Number of posts : 638

PostSubject: Re: $ales predictions? Metallica vs. AC/DC   $ales predictions? Metallica vs. AC/DC Icon_minitimeWed Sep 10, 2008 10:31 am

My guess is Metallica, people will be curious to compare it their previous stuff. With AC/DC we already know what it will be like.

Me personally, I will buy AC/DC and I know I will play it more. Metallica, I'll watch for it in the used pile next year and pick it for $5 -$6.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: $ales predictions? Metallica vs. AC/DC   $ales predictions? Metallica vs. AC/DC Icon_minitimeWed Sep 10, 2008 10:53 am

Don't know, but I'll do my part to help them both by purchasing them both. Very Happy

I think AC/DC are hindering their sales by making their CDs available at Wal-Marts stores only in the U.S.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: $ales predictions? Metallica vs. AC/DC   $ales predictions? Metallica vs. AC/DC Icon_minitimeWed Sep 10, 2008 11:06 am

ultmetal wrote:
Don't know, but I'll do my part to help them both by purchasing them both. Very Happy

I think AC/DC are hindering their sales by making their CDs available at Wal-Marts stores only in the U.S.

I think the Walmart connection is gonna help 'em. In the mid-west and middle America, where else is there to go but Walmart to get anything these days? If it were sold in an FYE or other music store (of the few that remain), you'll probably make a special trip or go outta your way to get there and pay $19. On the other hand, if you're making a weekly trek to Walmart or Sam's Club to do your regular shopping, you'll be more inclined to throw a $9 cd in your cart, next to the Little Debbie Snack Cakes, 3 liter bottle of pineapple soda and your Nascar throwrug.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: $ales predictions? Metallica vs. AC/DC   $ales predictions? Metallica vs. AC/DC Icon_minitimeWed Sep 10, 2008 11:08 am

Quote :
3 liter bottle of pineapple soda and your Nascar throwrug

Do you have someone spying on me while I'm making my Walmart shopping lists? These are both on my list.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: $ales predictions? Metallica vs. AC/DC   $ales predictions? Metallica vs. AC/DC Icon_minitimeWed Sep 10, 2008 11:09 am

Metallica,IMO. Hey wait a minute,is this another Metallica thread?! Shocked
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: $ales predictions? Metallica vs. AC/DC   $ales predictions? Metallica vs. AC/DC Icon_minitimeWed Sep 10, 2008 11:12 am

spectrefate wrote:
Quote :
3 liter bottle of pineapple soda and your Nascar throwrug

Do you have someone spying on me while I'm making my Walmart shopping lists? These are both on my list.

I knew that gift card was burning a hole in your pocket.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: $ales predictions? Metallica vs. AC/DC   $ales predictions? Metallica vs. AC/DC Icon_minitimeWed Sep 10, 2008 11:13 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
ultmetal wrote:

I think the Walmart connection is gonna help 'em. In the mid-west and middle America, where else is there to go but Walmart to get anything these days? If it were sold in an FYE or other music store (of the few that remain), you'll probably make a special trip or go outta your way to get there and pay $19. On the other hand, if you're making a weekly trek to Walmart or Sam's Club to do your regular shopping, you'll be more inclined to throw a $9 cd in your cart, next to the Little Debbie Snack Cakes, 3 liter bottle of pineapple soda and your Nascar throwrug.
why couldn't it be sold at Walmart and everywhere else?

ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: $ales predictions? Metallica vs. AC/DC   $ales predictions? Metallica vs. AC/DC Icon_minitimeWed Sep 10, 2008 11:16 am

mc666 wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
ultmetal wrote:

EXACTLY!

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: $ales predictions? Metallica vs. AC/DC   $ales predictions? Metallica vs. AC/DC Icon_minitimeWed Sep 10, 2008 11:20 am

mc666 wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
ultmetal wrote:

AC/DC signed an exclusive deal to sell 'em only at Walmart. I think The Eagles (and maybe a few other groups?) did the same thing. I'd bet they did it for the very reason I stated up above. Music stores are drying up, but Walmarts are everywhere. The hardcore fans would travel to the moon to get their favorite bands music, but the casual fans aren't going out of ther way to find it. Stocking it in a store that has a little bit of everything makes the sale easier and cheaper.
Back to top Go down
ghost
Metal master
Metal master
ghost

Number of posts : 814

PostSubject: Re: $ales predictions? Metallica vs. AC/DC   $ales predictions? Metallica vs. AC/DC Icon_minitimeWed Sep 10, 2008 11:21 am

I think Metallica. I will buy both at release date or shortly after.

thrasher73 wrote:
Metallica,IMO. Hey wait a minute,is this another Metallica thread?! Shocked

Yes, but a hidden one silent
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: $ales predictions? Metallica vs. AC/DC   $ales predictions? Metallica vs. AC/DC Icon_minitimeWed Sep 10, 2008 11:25 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:

AC/DC signed an exclusive deal to sell 'em only at Walmart. I think The Eagles (and maybe a few other groups?) did the same thing. I'd bet they did it for the very reason I stated up above. Music stores are drying up, but Walmarts are everywhere.

On a related note, Walmart is cutting it's CD selling to a minimum.

http://blogs.pcworld.com/staffblog/archives/007477.html
http://www.cbc.ca/cp/business/080709/b0709142A.html

So this is another sign that the end is near for the CD format. At least the retail store side of it.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: $ales predictions? Metallica vs. AC/DC   $ales predictions? Metallica vs. AC/DC Icon_minitimeWed Sep 10, 2008 11:40 am

spectrefate wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

AC/DC signed an exclusive deal to sell 'em only at Walmart. I think The Eagles (and maybe a few other groups?) did the same thing. I'd bet they did it for the very reason I stated up above. Music stores are drying up, but Walmarts are everywhere.

On a related note, Walmart is cutting it's CD selling to a minimum.

http://blogs.pcworld.com/staffblog/archives/007477.html
http://www.cbc.ca/cp/business/080709/b0709142A.html

So this is another sign that the end is near for the CD format. At least the retail store side of it.

Yea, who didn't see that one coming? Unless it's a Greatest Hits comp, you're not gonna find anything older than 6 months on the shelves at Walmart. I've never been a fan of their selection to begin with and it's gotten progressively worse in the last 2 years.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: $ales predictions? Metallica vs. AC/DC   $ales predictions? Metallica vs. AC/DC Icon_minitimeWed Sep 10, 2008 11:48 am

The WalMart connection didn't hurt the Eagles or Journey at all. I read somewhere that Journey sold more copies of their new one in just a few weeks via the Wal-Mart route than their last album sold in its entirety.

As for who's gonna sell more, AC/DC or Metallica... they're both gonna sell like cold beer on a hot day, that's for sure. It'll be interesting to see who comes out on top. I am kinda rooting for AC/DC...

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: $ales predictions? Metallica vs. AC/DC   $ales predictions? Metallica vs. AC/DC Icon_minitimeWed Sep 10, 2008 12:01 pm

Metallica for the win. It's the one being promoted the most.
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

PostSubject: Re: $ales predictions? Metallica vs. AC/DC   $ales predictions? Metallica vs. AC/DC Icon_minitimeWed Sep 10, 2008 12:32 pm

i think both will sell similar amounts of copies. all the old school ac/dc fans will buy the cd which will counterbalance the people who wont buy the new metallica album just download it even though they have a bigger fan base probably
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: $ales predictions? Metallica vs. AC/DC   $ales predictions? Metallica vs. AC/DC Icon_minitimeWed Sep 10, 2008 12:37 pm

I think that both have large, long time fan bases, but Metallica's is just a bit bigger; also, as someone stated above, people will be curious to see how it stacks up against classic Metallica.

From the second article spectre provided:

It's pretty
simple, really: The demands have changed, and the industry is just now
starting to catch up. I see it as a generational shift. A new batch of
kids -- i.e. today's teenagers -- grew up with music always available
with the press of a button. They never knew the joy of heading to the
CD store the day their favorite band's album was set to come out, then
heading back home with that cellophane-encased treasure in their hands.
To them, music is a concept, not a tangible object. It's a disposable
file, not an invaluable possession.
Sad

Last edited by the sentinel on Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: $ales predictions? Metallica vs. AC/DC   $ales predictions? Metallica vs. AC/DC Icon_minitimeWed Sep 10, 2008 12:37 pm

Which one will be in the used bins first?

Metallica, of course.
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

PostSubject: Re: $ales predictions? Metallica vs. AC/DC   $ales predictions? Metallica vs. AC/DC Icon_minitimeWed Sep 10, 2008 12:39 pm

i think ac/dc will have a lot of hardcore fans from back in the day that will buy the record whereas a lot of old metallica fans deserted the band

thats a theory not a statement of fact
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: $ales predictions? Metallica vs. AC/DC   $ales predictions? Metallica vs. AC/DC Icon_minitimeWed Sep 10, 2008 12:41 pm

I think Metallica will outsell AC/DC but not by a large margin, in the last few years there as has been a resurgence of interest in classic heavy metal bands and both Metallica and AC/DC's stock has risen in the last few years.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: $ales predictions? Metallica vs. AC/DC   $ales predictions? Metallica vs. AC/DC Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

$ales predictions? Metallica vs. AC/DC
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next