Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Alice In Chains

Go down 
+17
skullsmasher
MetalRob331
akeldama
DallasBlack
Troublezone
Wargod
candlemass
sam
Schbopo
SAHB Healer
rattpoison
MetalGuy71
Shiney
the sentinel
Leatherface
Fat Freddy
manny
21 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage

Alice In Chains - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alice In Chains   Alice In Chains - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2008 10:14 pm

Layne was 10% of the band, if that.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Alice In Chains   Alice In Chains - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2008 10:40 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Layne was 10% of the band, if that.

Stop being emotional. He was at least 25%.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

PostSubject: Re: Alice In Chains   Alice In Chains - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 07, 2008 12:37 am

Layne wrote practically the second half of Dirt.....and i still think it's one of the most harrowing confessionals of addiction i've heard put to music.

I know Jerry was the main musical driving force behind the band...but it's one thing to play a good riff or come up with a nice melody but it takes something else to tear pieces from your heart so explicitly like Layne did through song and performance.

He layed it all out there, wires exposed. And that's one of the greatest aspects of music imo, something real.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Alice In Chains   Alice In Chains - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 07, 2008 11:29 am

rattpoison wrote:
Layne wrote practically the second half of Dirt.....and i still think it's one of the most harrowing confessionals of addiction i've heard put to music.

I know Jerry was the main musical driving force behind the band...but it's one thing to play a good riff or come up with a nice melody but it takes something else to tear pieces from your heart so explicitly like Layne did through song and performance.

He layed it all out there, wires exposed. And that's one of the greatest aspects of music imo, something real.
Out of all the Alice In Chains albums, Staley wrote like three songs.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

PostSubject: Re: Alice In Chains   Alice In Chains - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 07, 2008 7:01 pm

Where'd you get that figure from....his name is attributed to more then half of Dirt as in composer.

You think Cantrell was writing all those Heroin songs?
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Alice In Chains   Alice In Chains - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 07, 2008 10:34 pm

Ok I sided with Eyesore when I stated that Cantrell does not get his
proper credit for the success of the band, but Staley was a big reason
for their success and he wrote more than 10% of their music and lyrics
on "Facelift" alone.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Alice In Chains   Alice In Chains - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2008 9:47 am

I think both Layne and Jerry were equally important to AIC. Laynes vocals can't be replaced.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Alice In Chains   Alice In Chains - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2008 10:25 pm

Facelift and Dirt are two of the most awesome albums ever. After that I lost interest due to the heaviness being dimminished. I have Dirt again and am on the lookout for Facelift. Stanley was a great voice and Jerry is a shred master extrodanire. I can't imagine what they would sound like with out one of them.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb

PostSubject: Re: Alice In Chains   Alice In Chains - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2008 10:54 pm

Lyrics mean nothing. You take the greatest lyricist and worst band in the world and pair them together, you're going to get crap results. Take the greatest band and the worst lyricist in the world and you'll get gold.

Layne was great, but expendable.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Alice In Chains   Alice In Chains - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2008 11:01 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Lyrics mean nothing. You take the greatest lyricist
and worst band in the world and pair them together, you're going to get
crap results. Take the greatest band and the worst lyricist in the
world and you'll get gold.

You are a writer, good lyrics are hard to write and even harder
to come by in rock music, as a writer Eyesore you know better than
anyone how hard it is write a good lyric that fits a melody. Layne was
not expendable, if only he himself had felt that way he would still be
here. Layne solo project Mad Season was ok, Jerry Cantrell solo albums
are hit or miss but together in Alice in Chains they were magic.
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

PostSubject: Re: Alice In Chains   Alice In Chains - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 09, 2008 1:13 am

Don't like 'em
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Alice In Chains   Alice In Chains - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 09, 2008 1:34 am

DallasBlack wrote:
Facelift and Dirt are two of the most awesome albums ever. After that I lost interest due to the heaviness being dimminished. I have Dirt again and am on the lookout for Facelift. Stanley was a great voice and Jerry is a shred master extrodanire. I can't imagine what they would sound like with out one of them.

You don't have to imagine just listen to Jerry's solo albums which are good but lack the Staley vocal prowess.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Alice In Chains   Alice In Chains - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 09, 2008 1:41 am

Eyesore wrote:
Lyrics mean nothing. You take the greatest lyricist and worst band in the world and pair them together, you're going to get crap results. Take the greatest band and the worst lyricist in the world and you'll get gold.

I totally disagree. Guitars are easier to replicate than a singer like Layne. Don't get me wrong Jerry is one of my favorite players but before Layne fell apart he was one of the most recognisable singers in rock.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

PostSubject: Re: Alice In Chains   Alice In Chains - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 09, 2008 2:15 am

Eyesore wrote:

Don't strip it down to those scenarios, they don't apply to Alice In Chains. They had the best of both worlds.

Btw i wouldn't listen to either scenario you illustrated.

Lyrics are everything and more, as important as the music that soundtracks and delivers them. They need each other....or it ain't worth listening.

Getting back to Layne....

Layne's whole demeanour, the way he inhabits his different characters while singing, his accents, lyrics, style etc. were so integral to the band. By no way is he expendable.

I think you'll realise how much you miss Layne once you hear this new Alice In Chains record.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Alice In Chains   Alice In Chains - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 16, 2008 7:21 am

I hear these guys are in the studio laying down a new album. Anything with JC on it should be worth the listen regardless of who is singing..
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Alice In Chains   Alice In Chains - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 16, 2008 10:26 am

MetalRob331 wrote:
I hear these guys are in the studio laying down a new album. Anything with JC on it should be worth the listen regardless of who is singing..
That's how I feel. I loved Layne in the band, but I still maintain that Cantrell is the main ingredient. And I also think his solo albums are great. Maybe not as good as Facelift and Dirt--those are classics--but definitely better than the self-titled album, by a mile.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Alice In Chains   Alice In Chains - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 16, 2008 10:39 am

I am sure that Jerry Cantrell will release a solid album, he should have just taken over the lead vocal spot himself, since he is also very good singer.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Alice In Chains   Alice In Chains - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 16, 2008 10:50 am

Cantrell played some shows with Heart back in 2004 (or thereabouts)...now THAT is something I'd like to have seen.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Alice In Chains   Alice In Chains - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 16, 2008 9:17 pm

manny wrote:
I am sure that Jerry Cantrell will release a solid album, he should have just taken over the lead vocal spot himself, since he is also very good singer.

And sounds somewhat similar-at leas in Degradation Trip.
Back to top Go down
skullsmasher
Metal master
Metal master
skullsmasher

Number of posts : 638

PostSubject: Re: Alice In Chains   Alice In Chains - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 16, 2008 11:39 pm

I saw these guys open for Megadeth Anthrax and Slayer on tthe Clash of The Titans Tour back in 90 or 91. They were pretty dang good. I ended up getting most of their stuff over the years
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Alice In Chains   Alice In Chains - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 18, 2008 7:58 am

They were one of my favorite bands in the early 90's. 🤘
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Alice In Chains   Alice In Chains - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 19, 2008 8:10 am

troublezone wrote:
They were one of my favorite bands in the early 90's. 🤘

Same here, but only up to Dirt. After that the dark heaviness seemed to leave them and I lost interest.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Alice In Chains   Alice In Chains - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 19, 2008 10:55 am

That time period (1991-1994) was probably the worst of my entire life, so it's often a struggle to listen to anything from that era without lots of unwelcome feelings getting stirred up.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Alice In Chains   Alice In Chains - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 19, 2008 12:01 pm

detuned wrote:
That time period (1991-1994) was probably the worst of my entire life, so it's often a struggle to listen to anything from that era without lots of unwelcome feelings getting stirred up.

Hated grunge that much huh?
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Alice In Chains   Alice In Chains - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 18, 2009 2:46 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Being lumped in with the Seattle/grunge groups, these are the only guys from that era that I really like. I have all their stuff except for the Jar of Flies ep. The Unplugged cd is awesome. And I agree with whomever stated that Lanye was overrated. Not to dis the dead, but listen to Jerry's solo stuff and you'll see that he did more for their sound than Layne.

It wasn't Jar of Flies I was missing, it was Sap. And now that I have it, my AIC discography is complete. I can hear that collective sigh of relief from everyone here. You may now carry on with the remainder of your day.

Looking forward to hearing something new from these guys with that new cat at the mic.

PostSubject: Re: Alice In Chains   Alice In Chains - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Alice In Chains
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next