Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Stratovarius aren't dead after all...

Go down 
+5
ultmetal
Orion Crystal Ice
A Handful of Wayne
kmorg
Fat Freddy
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

Stratovarius aren't dead after all... Empty
PostSubject: Stratovarius aren't dead after all...   Stratovarius aren't dead after all... Icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2008 12:38 pm

Looks like the Strato guys have picked up a new guitarist to replace Timo Tolkki and have decided to keep on keepin' on... seems kind of strange since Stratovarius has long been considered Tolkki's band and he was the main songwriter/head froot loop/tyrannical overlord... it'd be like Iced Earth continuing on without Jon Schaffer or somethin'.

STRATOVARIUS: First Photos With New Guitarist Released - Aug. 22, 2008

As BLABBERMOUTH.NET first reported yesterday, remaining STRATOVARIUS members Timo Kotipelto (vocals), Jens Johansson (keyboards), Lauri Porra (bass) and Jörg Michael (drums) have officially recruited Finnish guitarist Matias Kupiainen to replace the group's founding member and main songwriter Timo Tolkki. The news of Kupiainen's addition to the band was broken exclusively by Petri Silas of Finland's Soundi magazine, who spoke to both Kotipelto and Kupiainen for the publication's August 2008 issue (available on newsstands as of August 20).[/size]

Writing on the band's official web site, Jens Johansson said, "Earlier this summer, Timo K, Jens and Lauri got together with a guitar player in a forest cottage in west Finland and wrote and arranged some songs. It went extremely well, and we are very happy with the material, the direction, and the general vibe in the band.

We now have over 15 songs written and demoed already, but probably not all of these will make it to the actual album.

"We are happy to confirm that our new guitar player is Matias Kupiainen. He was the only guy we even considered seriously. This interesting fellow was born May 11th, 1983 and is a native of Helsinki, Finland.

"Next week, Jörg and Jens will come to Finland as we have booked three weeks of rehearsals and recordings in another cottage. We will then work more intensely on the songs in a real band rehearsal type of situation."

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Stratovarius aren't dead after all...   Stratovarius aren't dead after all... Icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2008 12:58 pm

Timo gave them the rights. But Timo is also releasing one last Strato album himself.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Stratovarius aren't dead after all...   Stratovarius aren't dead after all... Icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2008 1:03 pm

kmorg wrote:
Timo gave them the rights. But Timo is also releasing one last Strato album himself.

I thought his "Revolution Renaissance" album was the stuff that was supposed to be the last Stratovarius album...

...but with this band, who knows? Over the past few years the soap opera drama surrounding them has been more interesting than the music Laughing

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Stratovarius aren't dead after all...   Stratovarius aren't dead after all... Icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2008 1:04 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
kmorg wrote:

I thought his "Revolution Renaissance" album was the stuff that was supposed to be the last Stratovarius album...

...but with this band, who knows? Over the past few years the soap opera drama surrounding them has been more interesting than the music Laughing

He's gonna continue the Revolution Renaissance thing too. But he said he'll record one last Strato album, with older members, and himself singing!

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Stratovarius aren't dead after all...   Stratovarius aren't dead after all... Icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2008 1:05 pm

kmorg wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
kmorg wrote:

He's gonna continue the Revolution Renaissance thing too. But he said he'll record one last Strato album, with older members, and himself singing!

So it's going to be a power metal version of the "Tracii Guns' L.A. Guns" Vs. "Phil Lewis' L.A. Guns" huh? Interesting.

Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Stratovarius aren't dead after all...   Stratovarius aren't dead after all... Icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2008 1:15 pm

They still dont know if they will keep the name or not. And the thing with Tolkki doing another Strato album with the other members might not happen. This was from yesturday

Kotipelto goes on to correct some rumors that have generated from and around Tolkki:

1) Contrary to what Tolkki has said, there will not be a new album release from STRATOVARIUS this fall featuring the band's early lineup.

2) The band's deal with Sanctuary was not worth the three million Tolkki claimed it was upon its signing.

3) Kotipelto's reluctance to do a "STRATOVARIUS farewell world tour" didn't stem from any resentment towards Tolkki, but from the fact that without consulting anyone, Tolkki allegedly decided by himself that the farewell jaunt should be done with Jari Kainulainen, not Lauri Porra, on bass.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Stratovarius aren't dead after all...   Stratovarius aren't dead after all... Icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2008 1:18 pm

please....please...stop..please...........
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Stratovarius aren't dead after all...   Stratovarius aren't dead after all... Icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2008 1:24 pm

Man, I use to love this band, but haven't listened to them in years. Not sure why.

Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: Stratovarius aren't dead after all...   Stratovarius aren't dead after all... Icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2008 1:32 pm

Even if they did continue with the name whats the big deal? There are still people in the band that we are familiar with since Forth Dimension. So what if Tolkki isnt there? The only thing that counts is that they make good music regardless whos in the band. Tolkki wasnt the greatest song writer in the world.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Stratovarius aren't dead after all...   Stratovarius aren't dead after all... Icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2008 1:42 pm

if Sepultura, Napalm Death, & Gorgoroth can do it, so can Stratovarius.

A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: Stratovarius aren't dead after all...   Stratovarius aren't dead after all... Icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2008 2:00 pm

mc666 wrote:
if Sepultura, Napalm Death, & Gorgoroth can do it, so can Stratovarius.

eggzactlee
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Stratovarius aren't dead after all...   Stratovarius aren't dead after all... Icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2008 2:21 pm

Molly Hatchet has been releasing new studio albums for almost two decades with one or less original members in the band!

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Stratovarius aren't dead after all...   Stratovarius aren't dead after all... Icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2008 2:48 pm

KISS will continue to release compilation albums long after Gene & Paul are gone. Peter Criss died years ago and was replaced with a cardboard cut-out. Ace returned to his home planet and is just a hologram now.
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: Stratovarius aren't dead after all...   Stratovarius aren't dead after all... Icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2008 5:11 pm

This band has been dead to me for years.
Back to top Go down
stormspell
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stormspell

Number of posts : 1593

PostSubject: Re: Stratovarius aren't dead after all...   Stratovarius aren't dead after all... Icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2008 7:43 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
it'd be like Iced Earth continuing on without Jon Schaffer or somethin'...

This would have been the best thing that has happened to Iced Earth since 1981 Laughing

Regarding STRATO, I was hoping the new guitar player would be Jani Liimatainen...
Back to top Go down
http://www.cdbaby.com/all/stormspell
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: Stratovarius aren't dead after all...   Stratovarius aren't dead after all... Icon_minitimeSat Aug 23, 2008 12:47 am

stormspell wrote:

Regarding STRATO, I was hoping the new guitar player would be Jani Liimatainen...

Me too, but supposedly this guy is reallly good. funny thing is though he says he used to listen to power metal years ago. So he stopped listening to it but joins this band? doesnt make much sense. but possibly someone quoted him wrong and he probably said he started listening to power metal years ago. either way he does play good
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Stratovarius aren't dead after all...   Stratovarius aren't dead after all... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Stratovarius aren't dead after all...
Page 1 of 1