Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Stratovarius

Go down 
+6
krokus
ghost
Fat Freddy
kmorg
DallasBlack
candlemass
10 posters
AuthorMessage
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

Stratovarius Empty
PostSubject: Stratovarius   Stratovarius Icon_minitimeSun Nov 18, 2007 9:00 pm

Don't think I've heard this band discussed much here, I think they're praise worthy, especially on Elements I and II! 🤘
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

Stratovarius Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stratovarius   Stratovarius Icon_minitimeSun Nov 18, 2007 9:18 pm

Listened to Elements Pt. 1 the other day and yes, it is praise worthy and I will seek out Pt. 2 down the line. My favorite (of the few I've heard) is Destiny which is my favorite. I heard of them in '99 but was never alble to find any albums. When I was overseas I found a metal merchandise store in Greece and got a Maiden and Stratovarius shirt (Visions) which I got because it looked cool. It was a year later when I finally found a store that had their albums. Apart from the ones mentioned I have Intermission (b-sides and bonus tracks) and The Fourth Dimension. I was turned off by Tolkki's anti-God attitude but have sinced gotten over it (I hear he has since ceased doing it anyways) and plan on expanding my collection.

On a side note, at the time I got the t-shirt I usually wore a large or XL (now I can't wear large...well...not gracefully anyways) and the only size for the Stratovarius shirt was large so I purchased it. I now realize that European t-shirts shrink REAL easily because I couldn't wear it anymore after a few months Sad . Even some XLs that I've got from European companies fit like larges but XXLs are not readily availiable from those companies so I learn to live with it and show off my glorious gut when I'm in the mood to wear them.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb

Stratovarius Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stratovarius   Stratovarius Icon_minitimeSun Nov 18, 2007 11:18 pm

candlemass wrote:
Don't think I've heard this band discussed much here, I think they're praise worthy, especially on Elements I and II! 🤘

Stratovarius is easily one of my favorite bands! I like all their albums, but my favorites will probably always be "Elements 1&2". These two albums are easily their masterpieces from what I've heard. I still am missing a few holes in my Stratovarius collection (have yet to pick up their earlier albums). Their last "S/T" album was a bit of a disappointment to me, but I still liked it.
Back to top Go down

Stratovarius Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stratovarius   Stratovarius Icon_minitimeMon Nov 19, 2007 12:01 am

I don't own anything before Infinite. It's funny, too, because everyone loves them for their power metal, but my favorite tracks from them are their mid-paced stompers; "Falling Into Fantasy" (amazing song), "Alpha & Omega," "Awaken The Giant," "Dreamweaver," "United," etc. I really want their early albums, but I've never seen them around here for cheap (or even average price). When I have seen them on ocassion used they're like $19.99, which I'm never paying.

Also, I think the self-titled album is way better than it got credit for. I knew where to find the album for $7 or $8.99, but never bought it because everyone said it sucked. Finally one day I just bought it...and loved it! Definitely a different kind of album, but definitely not bad.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

Stratovarius Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stratovarius   Stratovarius Icon_minitimeMon Nov 19, 2007 11:36 am

I liked them before they went all "epic" on us....

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37645

Stratovarius Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stratovarius   Stratovarius Icon_minitimeMon Nov 19, 2007 11:44 am

I own one Stratovarius CD... the "Chosen Ones" compilation. I've had a few other CDs from time to time but I end up trading them off. Seems like that compilation is all I really need, cuz to my ears at least, if you hear one Strato CD, you've pretty much heard'em all

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

Stratovarius Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stratovarius   Stratovarius Icon_minitimeMon Nov 19, 2007 12:21 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
I own one Stratovarius CD... the "Chosen Ones" compilation. I've had a few other CDs from time to time but I end up trading them off. Seems like that compilation is all I really need, cuz to my ears at least, if you hear one Strato CD, you've pretty much heard'em all
I don't know. I hear there early stuff is more straightforward power metal, then Elements 1 and 2 are more symphonic, epic type of material. The self-titled is very different and has a lot of rock songs on it. Not sure if you'd like any of it, though.
Back to top Go down

Stratovarius Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stratovarius   Stratovarius Icon_minitimeMon Nov 19, 2007 12:39 pm

kmorg wrote:

lol!

What do you mean? That's when they got really good!

You probably like their latest "S/T" release then don't you? They dropped the epicness on that one (which is why I was a bit disappointed in it). I still really like the "S/T" though - don't get me wrong.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Stratovarius Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stratovarius   Stratovarius Icon_minitimeMon Nov 19, 2007 12:47 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
I don't know. I hear there early stuff is more straightforward power metal, then Elements 1 and 2 are more symphonic, epic type of material. The self-titled is very different and has a lot of rock songs on it. Not sure if you'd like any of it, though.

Yea, I've heard bits and pieces of the later stuff you describe, and it didn't do much for me either.
I suppose the CHOSEN ONES comp covers their "straightforward power metal" period nicely for me, and I'm not a big one for "symphonic, epic" stuff in general either. So I've got all the Stratovarius stuff I need.
Oh yea, and Timo Tolkki is a total wack job. Smile

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
ghost
Metal master
Metal master
ghost

Number of posts : 814

Stratovarius Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stratovarius   Stratovarius Icon_minitimeMon Nov 19, 2007 1:46 pm

I'm a huge fan of Stratovarius. I think their best albums are Episode and Visions. Followed by Elements 1 & 2 and the s/t, which I like very much because it was different. I don't think that all of their albums sound the same, in my opinion their sound allways changed over the yeard.
Back to top Go down

Stratovarius Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stratovarius   Stratovarius Icon_minitimeMon Nov 19, 2007 2:36 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Yea, I've heard bits and pieces of the later stuff you describe, and it didn't do much for me either. I suppose the CHOSEN ONES comp covers their "straightforward power metal" period nicely for me, and I'm not a big one for "symphonic, epic" stuff in general either. So I've got all the Stratovarius stuff I need.
Right on. I highly recommend the song "Falling Into Fantasy." Yeah, it's a mid-paced tune, but it got that "Take Hold Of The Flame" (Queensryche) sound to it. Love that tune.

Quote :
Agreed. During his little breakdown the dude made NO sense. It's one thing when people snap and start talking crazy stuff, but most often there's some sort of twisted logic to it. Timo seemed like he was just babbling about the most ridiculous crap without even knowing what he was talking about.
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

Stratovarius Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stratovarius   Stratovarius Icon_minitimeMon Nov 19, 2007 2:37 pm

My fave album by this band is FOURTH DIMENSION. EPISODE and VISIONS are two other classics. FRIGHT NIGHT was the first album i bought by this band(their debut) and is special to me too. They were more straight heavy metal in their early days with TIMO TOLKKI behind the microphone.

Last edited by on Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Stratovarius Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stratovarius   Stratovarius Icon_minitimeMon Nov 19, 2007 2:40 pm

[quote="Eyesore"]
Fat Freddy wrote:

Quote :
Agreed. During his little breakdown the dude made NO sense. It's one thing when people snap and start talking crazy stuff, but most often there's some sort of twisted logic to it. Timo seemed like he was just babbling about the most ridiculous crap without even knowing what he was talking about.

Remember when he announced Stratovarius was getting a female singer? They had just signed a huge deal with Sanctuary Records and from what I heard, the label said to him "Oh, no, you're NOT!," so bye-bye female singer, hello again Timo Kotipelto. That was pretty hilarious.

Back to top Go down
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

Stratovarius Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stratovarius   Stratovarius Icon_minitimeMon Nov 19, 2007 7:55 pm

Their earlier material is probably their best!

Wargod48
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Stratovarius Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stratovarius   Stratovarius Icon_minitimeMon Nov 19, 2007 8:29 pm

Wargod48 wrote:

Wargod48

Bah, Kotipelto is a far superior singer, the music got better as well.
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

Stratovarius Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stratovarius   Stratovarius Icon_minitimeTue Nov 20, 2007 2:41 am

My favorite is "Twilight Time", and the stuff up to "Chosen Ones". I think the reason I went off them when they got more complex had to do with expecting a certain sound rather than the quality of the music. Usually I like more proggy stuff, but not in this case.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

Stratovarius Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stratovarius   Stratovarius Icon_minitimeTue Nov 20, 2007 3:15 am

Eyesore wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
Yea, I've heard bits and pieces of the later stuff you describe, and it didn't do much for me either. I suppose the CHOSEN ONES comp covers their "straightforward power metal" period nicely for me, and I'm not a big one for "symphonic, epic" stuff in general either. So I've got all the Stratovarius stuff I need.
Right on. I highly recommend the song "Falling Into Fantasy." Yeah, it's a mid-paced tune, but it got that "Take Hold Of The Flame" (Queensryche) sound to it. Love that tune.

Quote :

Are we talking about his claim to hear the voice of Jesus talking to him while reading the teachings of the Kabbalah after years of anti-God speech?
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
caniplaywithmadness?
Metal master
Metal master
caniplaywithmadness?

Number of posts : 515

Stratovarius Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stratovarius   Stratovarius Icon_minitimeTue Nov 20, 2007 6:58 am

hmmm, they get lost in a sea of similar power metal bands to me. they're ok tho, i guess
Back to top Go down

Stratovarius Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stratovarius   Stratovarius Icon_minitimeTue Nov 20, 2007 10:06 am

Not a big fan.but their version of JP's "Bloodstone" is very nice !
Back to top Go down

Stratovarius Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stratovarius   Stratovarius Icon_minitimeTue Nov 20, 2007 11:55 am

ghost wrote:
I'm a huge fan of Stratovarius. I think their best albums are Episode and Visions. Followed by Elements 1 & 2 and the s/t, which I like very much because it was different. I don't think that all of their albums sound the same, in my opinion their sound allways changed over the yeard.

I agree. None of their albums sound the same to me.

As far as Timo Tolkki is concerned, he was diagnosed with a rare depressive disorder and was givein the proper meds for it. After this - he was back to normal and has not had a breakdown since. So - I don't judge him. The guy was hurting. He's also a very talented song-writer - one of my faves.

He says he's 'found God' now too, which I think is awesome.

I also love Timo Kotipelto's vocals.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

Stratovarius Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stratovarius   Stratovarius Icon_minitimeTue Nov 20, 2007 1:09 pm

blackieboy wrote:
kmorg wrote:

lol!

What do you mean? That's when they got really good!

You probably like their latest "S/T" release then don't you? They dropped the epicness on that one (which is why I was a bit disappointed in it). I still really like the "S/T" though - don't get me wrong.

You are correct, albeit it's by far my favorite by them. I like the late 90's efforts the best.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Stratovarius Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stratovarius   Stratovarius Icon_minitimeTue Nov 20, 2007 6:00 pm

What do you guys think of Kotipelto's solo efforts? I have "Waiting For The Dawn", I think it's pretty good.
Back to top Go down

Stratovarius Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stratovarius   Stratovarius Icon_minitimeTue Nov 20, 2007 6:41 pm

candlemass wrote:
What do you guys think of Kotipelto's solo efforts? I have "Waiting For The Dawn", I think it's pretty good.

Love them! I picked up "Waiting for the Dawn" and "Coldness". I think I like "Coldness" quite a bit more, but both are good. Still haven't picked up his new '07 release yet, but it's on the list.

🤘
Back to top Go down
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

Stratovarius Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stratovarius   Stratovarius Icon_minitimeTue Nov 20, 2007 9:49 pm

candlemass wrote:
Wargod48 wrote:

Wargod48

Bah, Kotipelto is a far superior singer, the music got better as well.

Well it's my opinion!

BTW Kotipelto is an excellent singer but I prefer earlier Strat!

Wargod48
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Stratovarius Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stratovarius   Stratovarius Icon_minitimeWed Nov 21, 2007 7:33 am

I have the comp The Chosen Ones. It's ok, but nothing that ever made me want to seek out anymore of their work.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Stratovarius Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stratovarius   Stratovarius Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Stratovarius
Page 1 of 1