Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

So, the new Stratovarius....

Go down 
+11
Morrison
exact33
kmorg
A Handful of Wayne
tohostudios
MetalGuy71
Temple of Blood
GrandNational
Fat Freddy
bassman
Shawn Of Fire
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

So, the new Stratovarius.... Empty
PostSubject: So, the new Stratovarius....   So, the new Stratovarius.... Icon_minitimeMon Jan 31, 2011 1:14 pm

Even with a new guitarist, impressive musicianship and decent songs, I have the same problem with Stratovarius. Timo Kotipelto's vocals. When he heads up into his upper ranges, he just sounds like a cartoon character.

Way back in the mid-late 90s, I got into Stratovarius when I was getting into the Power Metal boom happening at the time. I had Destiny and some other album I can't remember...I know I had two. Anyway, there was some good music to be found and some enjoyable moments. But after a while Kotipelto's voice just began to get on my nerves. He's got power and range, and good delivery...but his tone is just annoying to me...especially the higher he goes.

I thought that a decade-plus break from them and perhaps a new guitarist might present me with a different perspective, so I requested the promo of Elysium to review...no such luck. Good music, good songs, impressive musicians...I do not like Kotipelto's voice.

I don't understand...I like high-pitched vocals...Halford, Midnight, James Rivera, John Cyriis, etc...but Kotipelto gets on my nerves...it's the same with Hammerfall for me...good music, hate the vocals.

Oh well...there's plenty of other Power Metal to satisfy my tastes, I suppose...

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bassman

Number of posts : 1939

PostSubject: Re: So, the new Stratovarius....   So, the new Stratovarius.... Icon_minitimeMon Jan 31, 2011 1:26 pm

Hallelujah!! Finally something we can agree on! I love power metal and have owned a couple of Stratovarious discs but I always end up listening a few times and then getting rid of them. Can't live with the vocals, drives me crazy. He's obviously talented, but something about it just bugs me.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37658

PostSubject: Re: So, the new Stratovarius....   So, the new Stratovarius.... Icon_minitimeMon Jan 31, 2011 1:50 pm

I used to have several Strato discs but eventually realized that they're one of those bands who keep making and re-making the same album over and over again, so I ditched them all except the CHOSEN ONES best-of, which is pretty much all the Strato I need.

But hey, they love'em in Japan. I guess that counts for something.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: So, the new Stratovarius....   So, the new Stratovarius.... Icon_minitimeMon Jan 31, 2011 1:53 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
I used to have several Strato discs but eventually realized that they're one of those bands who keep making and re-making the same album over and over again, so I ditched them all except the CHOSEN ONES best-of, which is pretty much all the Strato I need.

Me too! I ditched all their albums and just kept that best of collection.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: So, the new Stratovarius....   So, the new Stratovarius.... Icon_minitimeMon Jan 31, 2011 1:55 pm

GrandNational wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

Haha, great minds think alike!!

THE CHOSEN ONES was the first Strato disc I bought years back. I really dug that one so it got me all stoked to buy some more of their studio albums... two or three CDs later I was like "Ehhhh.... maybe these guys aren't as big a deal as I thought they were," and the others all went to the trade stack. Laughing

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: So, the new Stratovarius....   So, the new Stratovarius.... Icon_minitimeMon Jan 31, 2011 4:22 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
GrandNational wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

Haha, great minds think alike!!

THE CHOSEN ONES was the first Strato disc I bought years back. I really dug that one so it got me all stoked to buy some more of their studio albums... two or three CDs later I was like "Ehhhh.... maybe these guys aren't as big a deal as I thought they were," and the others all went to the trade stack. Laughing

Holy moly, me too!!! The Chosen Ones was my first Strato album, I bought two studio albums after that, and then just got rid of them because the cheese factor was getting to me Razz
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: So, the new Stratovarius....   So, the new Stratovarius.... Icon_minitimeMon Jan 31, 2011 4:25 pm

Never heard a song by them that I like but then again I don't tend to enjoy much flower metal.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: So, the new Stratovarius....   So, the new Stratovarius.... Icon_minitimeMon Jan 31, 2011 4:26 pm

GrandNational wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

I didn't even keep that one. Too flowery for my taste.

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: So, the new Stratovarius....   So, the new Stratovarius.... Icon_minitimeMon Jan 31, 2011 4:30 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
GrandNational wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

I didn't even keep that one. Too flowery for my taste.

When I first got into power metal, Strato was one band I saw talked about a lot. I bought Chosen Ones and a couple other ones and just didn't understand the fuss. I actually like Kotipelto's solo outings better.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: So, the new Stratovarius....   So, the new Stratovarius.... Icon_minitimeMon Jan 31, 2011 4:45 pm

I found a used copy of Chosen Ones at FYE so I thought I'd give it a shot. I was kinda buying up all the power metal I could find too at the time. It didn't hang around too long though.

Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: So, the new Stratovarius....   So, the new Stratovarius.... Icon_minitimeMon Jan 31, 2011 5:19 pm

You guys make me sick lol! Strato is awesome! They had a few albums that did stumble towards the end with Tolkki in the band but otherwise they have a lot of great classic albums. I liked the last one and this newest one a friend told me that he really enjoyed it and its even better than the last album. Yea a lot of their stuff is samey but when they're good they're good.

I get what your saying with Hammerfall though. I think they are a great band too but they are really a victim of being way too samey on way too many albums and the vocals are very weak but you just kind of get used to it.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: So, the new Stratovarius....   So, the new Stratovarius.... Icon_minitimeTue Feb 01, 2011 1:08 pm

I like Stratovarius, but I understand what you are saying, Shawn. And the same goes for HammerFall too. But you see, when these bands deliver the goods musically, I seem to like the vocals also. But when they start to release indifferent material, like Stratovarius did with the Elements albums, then I find the vocals to be more intolerable.,

PostSubject: Re: So, the new Stratovarius....   So, the new Stratovarius.... Icon_minitimeTue Feb 01, 2011 2:28 pm

Never could get into Strato for the reasons stated. And I love Hammerfall so who can tell.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: So, the new Stratovarius....   So, the new Stratovarius.... Icon_minitimeTue Feb 01, 2011 3:52 pm

I have been on the fence on the new Strato stuff. I will get it but I am not sure it is a high priority. It seems the pm genre is wearing thin a lot now.

Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: So, the new Stratovarius....   So, the new Stratovarius.... Icon_minitimeTue Feb 01, 2011 3:56 pm

Remember when Timo Tolkki went batsh*t crazy for a while, had a big falling out with Timo Kotipelto, and Tolkki hired a new singer for the band called "Lady Miss K" or something like that? She was in the band for about a week before they sent Tolkki off to the looney bin for a brief rehab stay. Man, that was entertainment.

I wonder where "Miss K" is now. She never even sang a note for the band.

Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: So, the new Stratovarius....   So, the new Stratovarius.... Icon_minitimeTue Feb 01, 2011 3:59 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Remember when Timo Tolkki went batsh*t crazy for a while, had a big falling out with Timo Kotipelto, and Tolkki hired a new singer for the band called "Lady Miss K" or something like that? She was in the band for about a week before they sent Tolkki off to the looney bin for a brief rehab stay. Man, that was entertainment.

sounds like a reality show to be!

A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: So, the new Stratovarius....   So, the new Stratovarius.... Icon_minitimeTue Feb 01, 2011 4:13 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:

didnt he replace the whole band?

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: So, the new Stratovarius....   So, the new Stratovarius.... Icon_minitimeTue Feb 01, 2011 4:20 pm

Phoenix Reign Drummer wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

Who could tell? For a while, every couple of days Blabbermouth was running yet another rant from Tolkki off of Strato's message board where he would go on about Hitler coming to him in his dreams, aliens putting mercury in his sandwiches or some such nonsense...

Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: So, the new Stratovarius....   So, the new Stratovarius.... Icon_minitimeTue Feb 01, 2011 4:41 pm

.....oooh the fun times. i feel sorry for his new band

The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: So, the new Stratovarius....   So, the new Stratovarius.... Icon_minitimeTue Feb 01, 2011 6:24 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Phoenix Reign Drummer wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

Who could tell? For a while, every couple of days Blabbermouth was running yet another rant from Tolkki off of Strato's message board where he would go on about Hitler coming to him in his dreams, aliens putting mercury in his sandwiches or some such nonsense...

that sounds like something off of this board!!

Morrison
Metal novice
Metal novice

Number of posts : 40

PostSubject: Re: So, the new Stratovarius....   So, the new Stratovarius.... Icon_minitimeTue Feb 01, 2011 10:37 pm

I never cared much for this band, but I always liked Twilight Time for some reason. I think that one's underrated in the band's discography.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: So, the new Stratovarius....   So, the new Stratovarius.... Icon_minitimeWed Feb 02, 2011 12:40 pm

Morrison wrote:
I never cared much for this band, but I always liked Twilight Time for some reason. I think that one's underrated in the band's discography.

I like Infinite a lot.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39646

PostSubject: Re: So, the new Stratovarius....   So, the new Stratovarius.... Icon_minitimeWed Feb 02, 2011 1:28 pm

It's all good to my ears ! headbanger
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25905

PostSubject: Re: So, the new Stratovarius....   So, the new Stratovarius.... Icon_minitimeWed Feb 02, 2011 3:46 pm

I've tried to get into this band. But I just don't like what I've heard by them.
Back to top Go down
ZetaReticuli
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ZetaReticuli

Number of posts : 454

PostSubject: Re: So, the new Stratovarius....   So, the new Stratovarius.... Icon_minitimeThu Feb 03, 2011 3:06 pm

I like their previous album, Polaris, which was pretty good (maybe 'cause no Tolkki?). But I gotta be honest, just like with Tony Kakko, I can't stand Timo's vocals. I mean, it's not that he can't sing, but the accent is just killing me.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: So, the new Stratovarius....   So, the new Stratovarius.... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

So, the new Stratovarius....
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next