Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Anyone planning on picking up the new Dragonforce album?

Go down 
+26
MetalRob331
sam
skullsmasher
MetalH
DeathCult
nevermore
ThrashedOutCobra33
Daybreaker
TheGooch
Fat Freddy
Thrasher73
Rex
Mordor
INVADERS
UltraMagnus007
Smindas
exact33
DallasBlack
the sentinel
James B.
A Handful of Wayne
scottmitchell74
Orion Crystal Ice
tohostudios
Stender
30 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

Anyone planning on picking up the new Dragonforce album? - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anyone planning on picking up the new Dragonforce album?   Anyone planning on picking up the new Dragonforce album? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 29, 2008 8:29 pm

Daybreaker wrote:
I bought this today. I also bought two other cds and three more came in the mail. Out of todays haul which is

Riot - Thundersteel (new for eight bucks!)
Danger DAnger - self titled (yea I know I'm a wuss)
Magnum - Kingdom Of Madness
Magnum - Goodnight LA
Cacumen - Down To Hell
Dragonforce - Ultra Beatdown.

Out of all six cds, I'm the least excited about the Dragonforce and it's the only " new" one. The next youngest album is from 90. I've found this more and more, I do get excited about new cds I buy, just not as much 2007-2008 new cds.

what did you pay for those magnum cds?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anyone planning on picking up the new Dragonforce album?   Anyone planning on picking up the new Dragonforce album? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 30, 2008 8:07 am

JerryOnly wrote:
They can't even play their songs live!... lol!

So very true..my friend's GF drug us all to see them years ago and they were terrible live...an all over the place sloppy mess to put it nicely.

I don't like their studio stuff either , too syrupy sweet and ultra speed with no song development from my taste . They sound like they have been sped up through studio trickery to me. I mean , damn I love speed metal and all but these guys just suck IMO.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Anyone planning on picking up the new Dragonforce album?   Anyone planning on picking up the new Dragonforce album? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 31, 2008 11:20 am

Phoenix Reign Drummer wrote:
Got it today and its awesome! Theres a couple of new things on it but obviously its still sounds like their other albums. Its great though and I actually think its better than the last one.

For certain, if you never liked Dragonforce this album will most certainly NOT change your mind. However, if you like them or liked them in the past (even if it was only on Valley Of The Damned), then you might want to give them another chance. IMO this is the most diverse album of theirs since VOTD and definatly is not nearly as "samey" as the last one. It is a shame that Strike of The Ninja is only a bonus track. That song is awesome and is the slowest DF song ever (well, for them anyways).
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Daybreaker
Metal novice
Metal novice

Number of posts : 31

PostSubject: Re: Anyone planning on picking up the new Dragonforce album?   Anyone planning on picking up the new Dragonforce album? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 31, 2008 6:10 pm

I finallly got around to giving this one a serious listen. And you know what it aint half bad! There are actually moments where things slow down and create atmosphere and tension! Keyboards are not just stupid nintendo emulator noises! Forget the hype, forget the trampolines on stage, forget the stupid cover art and even dumber title this is worth a listen. before taking a dump on because things have been changed up.

Yikes, reading the list of "forgets" makes me think that its a tad too long for the average listener.
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

PostSubject: Re: Anyone planning on picking up the new Dragonforce album?   Anyone planning on picking up the new Dragonforce album? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2008 4:44 am

i dont mind long songs as long as they go somewhere
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Anyone planning on picking up the new Dragonforce album?   Anyone planning on picking up the new Dragonforce album? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2008 12:20 pm

I have been into these guys since 05 and like everything they have done. This is certainly their most diverse album so far, imo, and I really like it. Peace.
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

PostSubject: Re: Anyone planning on picking up the new Dragonforce album?   Anyone planning on picking up the new Dragonforce album? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2008 12:51 pm

apparently the major chords are back
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Anyone planning on picking up the new Dragonforce album?   Anyone planning on picking up the new Dragonforce album? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2008 8:29 am

I was given this CD as a gift this weekend. Not bad. First thoughts, still seems a bit "samey" to me. Speed for speed's sake. I've never been overly concerned with how fast a band is. Speed is cool, but it can sort of trap you into a corner as well. Nothing wrong with a good mid-paced riff or even a slow doomy riff, or for that matter a ballad. It's all good IMO. That's what makes bands like Judas Priest and Iron Maiden so great is that they balance all those things.

However, it will take a few more listens to really get a solid opinion on it this one.

Metal master
Metal master
skullsmasher

Number of posts : 638

PostSubject: Re: Anyone planning on picking up the new Dragonforce album?   Anyone planning on picking up the new Dragonforce album? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2008 9:21 am

I have had this for about a week and haven't played it yet. I have liked their other stuff but it does have a sameness to it that makes me think that this will probably not be much different. I saw them live last month and enjoyed their set. They are coming through town again in November, I'm planning to see them again if cash isn't too tight at the time.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Anyone planning on picking up the new Dragonforce album?   Anyone planning on picking up the new Dragonforce album? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2008 11:14 am

I was in Best Buy over the weekend and I knocked over a display of cd's. I planned on picking them up, including the new Drangonforce. Then a pretty girl walked by and I got distracted. So no, I won't be picking this up.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anyone planning on picking up the new Dragonforce album?   Anyone planning on picking up the new Dragonforce album? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2008 11:32 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
I was in Best Buy over the weekend and I knocked over a display of cd's. I planned on picking them up, including the new Drangonforce. Then a pretty girl walked by and I got distracted. So no, I won't be picking this up.

You are not right in so many ways. lol!
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: Anyone planning on picking up the new Dragonforce album?   Anyone planning on picking up the new Dragonforce album? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2008 4:57 pm

I've had it for a week now and after 3 spins I really like it (big surprise!).

It's definitely DF...no mistaking, but the songs stand apart and they have some more mellow moments. They have melody out the wazoo and overall this is a good one.
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: Anyone planning on picking up the new Dragonforce album?   Anyone planning on picking up the new Dragonforce album? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2008 5:09 pm

scottmitchell74 wrote:
It's definitely DF...no mistaking, but the songs stand apart and they have some more mellow moments. They have melody out the wazoo and overall this is a good one.

Better than Inhuman?
Back to top Go down
skullsmasher
Metal master
Metal master
skullsmasher

Number of posts : 638

PostSubject: Re: Anyone planning on picking up the new Dragonforce album?   Anyone planning on picking up the new Dragonforce album? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2008 8:43 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:

Dude, you are too cool!!! Anything for some tail.
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: Anyone planning on picking up the new Dragonforce album?   Anyone planning on picking up the new Dragonforce album? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2008 8:48 pm

skullsmasher wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

Dude, you are too cool!!! Anything for some tail.

lol!

anyone else noticed this looks like goku from dbz?
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: Anyone planning on picking up the new Dragonforce album?   Anyone planning on picking up the new Dragonforce album? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2008 8:53 pm

Quote :
Better than Inhuman?

That I don't know about yet. I really like Inhuman Rampage, but this one is definitely worthy.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Anyone planning on picking up the new Dragonforce album?   Anyone planning on picking up the new Dragonforce album? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2008 9:21 pm

scottmitchell74 wrote:
Quote :
Better than Inhuman?

That I don't know about yet. I really like Inhuman Rampage, but this one is definitely worthy.

I like inhuman more. After listening to UB about 4 times now I think DF might be hitting the wall here. I really like their speed on inhuman which covered over the melody thing. There are some great songs on UB but as a whole I think Inhman was more memorable.

I have to say that the same feel to all the songs might be starting to wear on this listener. I know you get it when you listen to DF and should expect it but the novelty might be wearing a little thin right now..

Alex

ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Anyone planning on picking up the new Dragonforce album?   Anyone planning on picking up the new Dragonforce album? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 10, 2008 12:43 pm

exact33 wrote:
have to say that the same feel to all the songs might be starting to wear on this listener. I know you get it when you listen to DF and should expect it but the novelty might be wearing a little thin right now..

Alex

Think that is where I am at with this. Heard it 4x now and still nothing. I guess I am just not getting it yet. Motorhead, AC/DC and many other bands have stuck to a sound and formula for decades, so I suppose that Dragonforce can too. I suppose the difference for me is that I find something memorable about songs from AC/DC and Motorhead, while Dragonforce tends to leave me with nothing.

Funny thing, a friend I work with walked into my office when I first popped this in. He's a fan of metal, punk, etc. as well, although not really a power metal fan. We talked for a second about the blinding speed on the first track. After a minute or two he walked out and returned to his office. About 20 minutes later he came back to my office to give me something and the CD was still playing. He asked if I had started the CD over again because he thought it was the same song he had heard when he walked in 20 minutes earlier. LOL!

nOOb master
TheGooch

PostSubject: Re: Anyone planning on picking up the new Dragonforce album?   Anyone planning on picking up the new Dragonforce album? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 10, 2008 12:45 pm

thats sums up why i have not bought the album. nor have i downloaded it i must say
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Anyone planning on picking up the new Dragonforce album?   Anyone planning on picking up the new Dragonforce album? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 10, 2008 1:10 pm

I'm thinking about picking this up on Friday (along w/ th enew Motorhead) when I pick up Death Magnetic.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anyone planning on picking up the new Dragonforce album?   Anyone planning on picking up the new Dragonforce album? - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Anyone planning on picking up the new Dragonforce album?
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4