Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The official King's X thread

Go down 
+44
bass63
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
martinsane
Dark Horseman
chewie
bassman
ryanmetalman
Shawn Of Fire
Lari
JBall_Z
Gilbert
Eyesore
MetalH
ultmetal
Metallic Blaze
DeathCult
Sutekh
T-Roy
assault_attack
James B.
325ad
DallasBlack
sam
Shiney
SideShowDisaSter
TrogDawn
rattpoison
Troublezone
Svengo
stevegarveyfan
7thSaviour
nevermore
Selvmord
Addy
Hamer12
Thrasher73
manny
mr.electric39
candlemass
the sentinel
MetalGuy71
Fat Freddy
tohostudios
thejokeriv
48 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 22  Next
AuthorMessage

The official King's X thread Empty
PostSubject: The official King's X thread   The official King's X thread Icon_minitimeMon Jul 28, 2008 2:21 pm

The official King's X thread 1422_photo

Okay, I used the search function and couldn't find any specific topics on these guys so I figured I'd start a thread for general discussion.

King's X has been one of my favorite bands since 1989 when a friend of mine turned me onto Gretchen Goes To Nebraska. Since that time I haven't missed a single tour, I've gone to in-store appearances, I've had the good fortune to be able to hang out with them a little bit after a few shows even. In that almost 20 year time-frame their hasn't been another rock band that has consistently kept my interest the way they have...I've gone through numerous shifts in my musical tastes...but a King's X CD is never too far from my player.

They seem to be having a resurgence in popularity this year as well, their new album XV is the first one to crack the Billboard Top 200 since 1996, which is quite an accomplishment for a group that's been around as long as they have.

Their fan base will probably always be relatively small...but it's a STRONG fan base and we're devoted as hell.

Of course I'm also a fan of all the solo albums and side projects (Platypus, Jelly Jam, Supershine, Jughead, Xenuphobe, etc).

Anyway, any other fans...or fanatics out there?

Last edited by detuned on Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:15 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The official King's X thread   The official King's X thread Icon_minitimeMon Jul 28, 2008 2:30 pm

We all hate this band here. Especially SAXON. He gets super pissed when someone mentions these guys.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The official King's X thread   The official King's X thread Icon_minitimeMon Jul 28, 2008 2:35 pm

We've discussed them a bunch of times. The search function doesn't recognize things like dashes and apostrophes, so no results will show up.

Lots of fans here, myself included.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The official King's X thread   The official King's X thread Icon_minitimeMon Jul 28, 2008 2:59 pm

Thanks for the search engine tip.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: The official King's X thread   The official King's X thread Icon_minitimeMon Jul 28, 2008 3:38 pm

Love King's X - seen them a bunch of times. Their best albums are Planet - Dogman. I;ve listen to the new one a few times, haven;t been able to get into as much as the others yet.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: The official King's X thread   The official King's X thread Icon_minitimeMon Jul 28, 2008 3:53 pm

Only album I like by these guys is Gretchen Goes To Nebraska.

PostSubject: Re: The official King's X thread   The official King's X thread Icon_minitimeMon Jul 28, 2008 5:29 pm

Manic Moonlight is my favorite. I love that album! I loved the band when I first heard them; then around Ear Candy they had gotten a bit too different for my tastes, so I sold everything when I did my Air Force sell-off. A few years ago I began to re-buy the albums, and now I love them all.

My tastes matured in those years after I sold their albums. I'm glad.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The official King's X thread   The official King's X thread Icon_minitimeMon Jul 28, 2008 5:36 pm

I really like Manic Moonlight. I'd be interested in hearing who likes and dislikes that one. Mr. Bulbous is another underrated favorite of mine. The riff to "Move Me" does just that. Awesome, awesome song.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The official King's X thread   The official King's X thread Icon_minitimeMon Jul 28, 2008 6:25 pm

Manic Moonlight is brilliant, it seems to be one of the more "controversial" releases by the band (probably leaving the acid loops in place on the final master) but I just don't understand what the criticism is about.

During that period the band had purposely changed their writing style for inspiration...in the old days they would each bring in demos of tunes, then they'd re-work them into a band expression and go into the studio with virtually completed tunes...for Moonlight all the songs were written in the studio by the three guys. Tabor came up with the acid loops, then Jerry would start playing along...and it went from there. The album was recorded as quickly as possible so they wouldn't lose the "vibe" of the tunes by re-working them too many times. That's a great way to record an album...but it can also backfire if the inspiration ain't there...on Moonlight inspiration was definitely in the house.

The title track, Vegetable (funkiest song they ever recorded), The Other Side, Jenna, False Alarm, Skeptical Winds...GREAT songs. Somehow they managed to end up with one of their most progressive albums and one of their funkiest and most organic at the same time, that's not an easy feat for ANYBODY.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The official King's X thread   The official King's X thread Icon_minitimeMon Jul 28, 2008 7:14 pm

Manic Moonlight has some of the catchiest songs they've ever written, if you ask me. And I love the loops on that one; it's what sets it apart from the rest. Wish they'd experiment like that again someday.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37557

PostSubject: Re: The official King's X thread   The official King's X thread Icon_minitimeMon Jul 28, 2008 10:21 pm

King's X run hot and cold for me. They're one of those bands I always wanted to REALLY get whole-hog into but for whatever reason just couldn't. They have two albums that I really REALLY like - FAITH HOPE LOVE and DOGMAN. The rest (that I've heard; I think the last CD I bought of theirs was EAR CANDY) seem to have two or three songs that I dig and then a whole lotta songs that are just "meh."

Maybe it's just me. I dunno.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The official King's X thread   The official King's X thread Icon_minitimeMon Jul 28, 2008 11:12 pm

I love KX. First time I heard them I was 18 with my then-girlfriend driving around in the summer. WSOU, 89.5fm, Setan Hall College's radio station, was cranking on the car stereo.... and I heard it. I heard "Goldilox" and we were blown away. I still think of that day/time every time I hear it. I went out and bought Gretchen and was just in awe of the sound and tightness of the band.

I must admit that it wasn't until I saw them at the Birch Hill in Old Bridge, NJ, on the Bulbous tour that I truly got into them. I went and bought every CD I didn't have up to Bulbous. Kinda luckily I just started overnights at my job so it was perfect for getting into each CD. I know the fanbase isn't the size of say.. Pearl Jam's, but I couldn't care less. To me King's X will always be one of THE BEST bands ever. Everyone I know it's either they love or strongly dislike KX; no middle ground. Anyway, I'm pissed because I couldn't get to last night's show at the Stone Pony because I'm coming out of pneumonia. I'm sure it was a killer show, like always.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The official King's X thread   The official King's X thread Icon_minitimeMon Jul 28, 2008 11:49 pm

They are 100% a live band. A good friend of mine liked some of what he heard, but wasn't really "sold" on them. I dragged him to a show (on the Bulbous tour if memory serves correctly), he was skeptical at first. By the time the second encore was over he tapped me on the shoulder and said "these guys are the REAL deal...nobody sounds like them"...he's been a rabid fan ever since. But it's seeing them live that's really the ticket to understanding them.

Plus they aren't one of those groups that plays the songs note for note the way they are on the album, they love to re-arrange, change tempos...and JAM...I've seen them take some of their 4 minute songs and turn them into 20 minute exercises in improv.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: The official King's X thread   The official King's X thread Icon_minitimeTue Jul 29, 2008 9:55 am

I'm with Freddy. I've tried to get into these guys. I wanted to like them. But nothing clicks with me. I've purchased a handful of their cd's and all of them ended up in the trade/sell pile. I have cdr's of Ty Tabor's solo work which I enjoy very much and I recently discovered the Galatic Cowboys, which I've been told were in a similiar vein to King's X. Love the Cowboys. Snapped up their entire discography within a week. But I just can't get into King's X.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The official King's X thread   The official King's X thread Icon_minitimeFri Aug 01, 2008 5:45 am

They are ok. Btw, I still have a $100 bounty on the American Cheese promo [Atlantic].
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: The official King's X thread   The official King's X thread Icon_minitimeFri Aug 01, 2008 10:55 pm

Finally got cd versions of Nebraska and Planet to replace my old cassettes. Love these guys. Awesome music, incredible lyrics!!!
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: The official King's X thread   The official King's X thread Icon_minitimeSat Aug 02, 2008 8:26 pm

I picked up their S/T cd tonight. Can't wait to hear it. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

PostSubject: Re: The official King's X thread   The official King's X thread Icon_minitimeMon Aug 04, 2008 9:23 pm

I like most of their releases, the first one will always be my fav, haven't heard the new one.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband

PostSubject: Re: The official King's X thread   The official King's X thread Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2008 1:49 pm

Best band in the world...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The official King's X thread   The official King's X thread Icon_minitimeMon Aug 11, 2008 8:14 pm

If Pelata says it, it is gospel. Now you all truly understand that there is no need for any other music...

Seriously, if I had to only listen to 1 band the rest of my life, KX would be the easy choice.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: The official King's X thread   The official King's X thread Icon_minitimeMon Aug 11, 2008 8:52 pm

Still haven;t been able to get into the new one too much.....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The official King's X thread   The official King's X thread Icon_minitimeMon Aug 11, 2008 9:30 pm

I think the new one is great, and it's easily got the catchiest tunes in bulk that they've ever done.
Back to top Go down
mr.electric39
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

Number of posts : 1828

PostSubject: Re: The official King's X thread   The official King's X thread Icon_minitimeSat Aug 16, 2008 4:41 pm

King's X are simply put brilliant.... Not heard too much after ear candy however....
Back to top Go down
http://www.whitethronereviews.blogspot.com
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: The official King's X thread   The official King's X thread Icon_minitimeTue Aug 19, 2008 5:20 pm

King's X ...brilliant, I had " Gretchen Goes to Nebraska' and liked it alot but it was not til I saw them live that I became a huge fan. One of the best bands I have ever seen live, simply brillant to quote mr. electric, if you have never seen them live, do yourself and go.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The official King's X thread   The official King's X thread Icon_minitimeTue Oct 21, 2008 2:30 pm

King's X - Headline tour dates (so far)

12/4/2008 Louisville, KY - The Phoenix Hill Tavern
12/5/2008 Akron, OH - Tangiers
12/6/2008 Springfield, VA - Jaxx
12/8/2008 Milwaukee, WI - Shank Hall
12/9/2008 Chicago, IL - Double Door
12/10/2008 Mt. Clemmens, MI - The Emerald Theater
12/13/2008 Southbridge, MA - A.D.C. Performance Cntr.
12/15/2008 Farmingville, NY - The Crazy Donkey
12/16/2008 New York, NY - Gramercy Blender Theater
12/18/2008 Nashville, TN - Mercy Lounge
12/19/2008 Dallas, TX - The Door
12/20/2008 Houston, TX - The Meridian
12/21/2008 San Antonio, TX - Jack's Patio

Go see them!!!!

Looks like I'll have to drive down to San Antonio as there isn't an Austin show on the schedule.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The official King's X thread   The official King's X thread Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The official King's X thread
Page 1 of 22Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 22  Next