Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Riverside - *official thread*

Go down 
+11
Wurthless
Wargod
mr.electric39
Shawn Of Fire
tohostudios
Tur-Thalion
chewie
Eyesore
MetalGuy71
exact33
Dark Horseman
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

Riverside - *official thread* Empty
PostSubject: Riverside - *official thread*   Riverside - *official thread* Icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 3:44 pm

Three song EP that finds the vocals staying mostly on the mellower side and lets the Floydian guitar soar. I try to think what's so special about these guys and I think it's the ability to let the music be undersated when it needs to be. Anyways, 32 minutes of proggy excellence.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Riverside - *official thread*   Riverside - *official thread* Icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 4:55 pm

Good stuff, VERY Porcupine Tree sounding on this EP. I haven't had a chance to explore much of their catalog yet, but I've liked the little bit I've heard.

Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: Riverside - *official thread*   Riverside - *official thread* Icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 5:11 pm

You'll like it thought some of it wanders more into the metal side then PT.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: Riverside - *official thread*   Riverside - *official thread* Icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 7:40 pm

I seemed to have missed this one...

PostSubject: Re: Riverside - *official thread*   Riverside - *official thread* Icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 8:45 pm

exact33 wrote:

It's an EP, I found a used copy at Amoeba for $3.

Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Riverside - *official thread*   Riverside - *official thread* Icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 9:28 pm

S.D. wrote:
exact33 wrote:

It's an EP, I found a used copy at Amoeba for $3.

nice. I have most of their other stuff. Good band.
Back to top Go down
http://exact3.tripod.com
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Riverside - *official thread*   Riverside - *official thread* Icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 10:23 am

Dark Horseman wrote:
You'll like it thought some of it wanders more into the metal side then PT.

That's how they were sold to me. Like a more "metal" version of Porcupine Tree. That's all I needed to hear. I like them allot.

The new ep is good too. I read that the tracks were reworked leftovers from the Voices in My Head album sessions, hence the title. Only 3 tracks, but nearly a 30 minute running time.

PostSubject: Re: Riverside - *official thread*   Riverside - *official thread* Icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 12:35 pm

I like to stay a little closer to the rock side of prog generally (I'm not a prog metal fan by any stretch of the imagination), but these guys are quite good.

Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: Riverside - *official thread*   Riverside - *official thread* Icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 6:44 pm

I think they are prog boys who add metal instead of metal boys who add prog. Just my little way of keeping it straight.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Riverside - *official thread*   Riverside - *official thread* Icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 6:53 pm

Dark Horseman wrote:
I think they are prog boys who add metal instead of metal boys who add prog. Just my little way of keeping it straight.

Sounds accurate to me. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Riverside - *official thread*   Riverside - *official thread* Icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 7:14 pm

They are good regardless of the classification. I loved Anno Domini high Definition.

Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Riverside - *official thread*   Riverside - *official thread* Icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 8:08 pm

Yeah, great band. The EP was way too pricey when I bought it, though.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Riverside - *official thread*   Riverside - *official thread* Icon_minitimeTue Feb 14, 2012 11:52 am

I need to buy an album from these guys. They sound like something that I would like.
Back to top Go down
Tur-Thalion
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Tur-Thalion

Number of posts : 350

PostSubject: Re: Riverside - *official thread*   Riverside - *official thread* Icon_minitimeTue Feb 14, 2012 12:10 pm

chewie wrote:
I need to buy an album from these guys. They sound like something that I would like.

Well I don't know how you feel about mp3 albums, but if you don't mind them you can get Anno Domini High Definition from Amazon.com for only $5.95.

When I bought textbooks for school I ended up getting a 5.00 credit for mp3 purchases at Amazon so I figured I'd use that to finally check out Riverside. Glad I did, it's a pretty good album. I'll probably end up getting some more as well.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Riverside - *official thread*   Riverside - *official thread* Icon_minitimeTue Feb 14, 2012 1:05 pm

I'm listening to the album "Out Of Myself" on Spotify right now. It's a nice sounding record, but so far the compositions aren't really sticking with me. It's a little more ethereal sounding than Porcupine Tree, more of a pleasant wash of sound, but the songs themselves seem to flow into each other without much differentiation between them. The song I like the best is the instrumental "Reality II".

Do they have any live recordings? That's usually what will make or break a band like this for me.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: Riverside - *official thread*   Riverside - *official thread* Icon_minitimeTue Feb 14, 2012 1:45 pm

I haven't heard of any official live releases. Their stuff does tend to run together more on Out of Myself then other albums though that is their a lot on almost everything they've done. I'd try to listen to Second Life Syndrome on the album of that name. Super Gilmourish on guitar but a great song. You don't like that one, you might want to pass on this band but i'll bet it grows on you.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Riverside - *official thread*   Riverside - *official thread* Icon_minitimeTue Feb 14, 2012 2:05 pm

I found a live clip of the song Second Life Syndrome...

I'll keep an eye out for this DVD. I connect with groups faster when being able to watch them perform. I became a fan of Porcupine Tree because of their "Arriving Somewhere" DVD and Opeth via the "Lamentations" DVD. Once I can see them perform it makes the studio recordings click.

Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: Riverside - *official thread*   Riverside - *official thread* Icon_minitimeTue Feb 14, 2012 2:35 pm

Riverside - *official thread* 591800 Great stuff.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Riverside - *official thread*   Riverside - *official thread* Icon_minitimeTue Feb 14, 2012 3:29 pm

Check out Lunatic Soul, the singer's side project. It's wicked mellow, but so damn good!

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Riverside - *official thread*   Riverside - *official thread* Icon_minitimeTue Feb 14, 2012 3:38 pm

Quote :
Do they have any live recordings? That's usually what will make or break a band like this for me.

Reality Dream is a live recording, available in cd or dvd format.

I've checked out that Lunatic Soul stuff before. Kinda cool, but not something I would listen to very often I think.

The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Riverside - *official thread*   Riverside - *official thread* Icon_minitimeSat Dec 22, 2012 1:10 pm

new song:

this seems a lot different than previous material.

PostSubject: Re: Riverside - *official thread*   Riverside - *official thread* Icon_minitimeSat Dec 22, 2012 1:21 pm

THAT is a totally killer song!

Love the move back to Hammond Organ for that track. Sounds like they've been listening to what Beardfish, Opeth and Steven Wilson have been doing for the past couple years, dropping the modern stuff and going back to the organic sound of early 70s instrumentation.

Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Riverside - *official thread*   Riverside - *official thread* Icon_minitimeSat Dec 22, 2012 1:32 pm

I like that track. The keys remind me of Deep Purple and the guitar riff sounds like something off of Aqualung (I kept wishing for a flute break).

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Riverside - *official thread*   Riverside - *official thread* Icon_minitimeSat Dec 22, 2012 2:22 pm

exact33 wrote:
new song:

this seems a lot different than previous material.
Damn. You ain't kidding. Pretty great song, though!
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: Riverside - *official thread*   Riverside - *official thread* Icon_minitimeSat Dec 22, 2012 5:18 pm

I guess they had to branch out but I hope they didn't totally dump the 80's PF sound as I love what they were doing. Great song though, these guys have so much talent.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Riverside - *official thread*   Riverside - *official thread* Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Riverside - *official thread*
Page 1 of 6Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Let The Music Do The Talking-
Jump to: