Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

AC/DC-Black Ice

Go down 
+41
DallasBlack
mr.electric39
jstate
Zé Metal & Company
the sentinel
brontotex
ultmetal
mez
metalinmyveins
tohostudios
Schbopo
ghost
metalmaniac122
mc666
MetalRob331
powermacho
Velvet Creation
Troublezone
scottmitchell74
vanillaviking
Fat Freddy
spiritoradio
XYZ
manny
A Handful of Wayne
White_Mage
thejokeriv
sam
rattpoison
Wargod
Waylon
MoonChild
Selvmord
Lurideath
skullsmasher
TheGooch
MetalGuy71
DeathCult
Metal Misfit
arttieTHE1manparty
akeldama
45 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14 ... 19  Next
AuthorMessage
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

AC/DC-Black Ice - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: AC/DC-Black Ice   AC/DC-Black Ice - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 17, 2008 10:09 pm

oh ha ha very funny with the second link. its actually a good song
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: AC/DC-Black Ice   AC/DC-Black Ice - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 18, 2008 2:57 pm

I was just in a Wal-Mart this AM and they are full-on, big willie pimpin' the fact that the new AC/DC comes out on Monday. There were big signs right near the entrance of the store with a picture of Angus on'em, a big display of the NO BULL DVD and the rest of the back catalog near the CD department, and a big selection of AC/DC t-shirts (both BLACK ICE oriented as well as reproductions of classic tour shirts) and other gear in the clothing department.
The back catalog CDs were only $7.00 except for BACK IN BLACK and WHO MADE WHO, which were $9 for some reason... I was about to throw BLOW UP YOUR VIDEO and RAZORS EDGE in our cart when my wife shot me the "we don't have money for that sh*t this week, put'em back" look. Sad

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

PostSubject: Re: AC/DC-Black Ice   AC/DC-Black Ice - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 18, 2008 3:11 pm

i debated whether to buy dirty deeds and powerage this morning but as i get a new album on mon i decided not too
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: AC/DC-Black Ice   AC/DC-Black Ice - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 18, 2008 3:40 pm

While I was in Wal-Mart I looked thru the bin of AC/DC discs very carefully, hoping that perhaps a careless employee might've thrown a few copies of BLACK ICE out there a few days early... but no dice. Sad

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

PostSubject: Re: AC/DC-Black Ice   AC/DC-Black Ice - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 18, 2008 4:07 pm

oh well not long to go now
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: AC/DC-Black Ice   AC/DC-Black Ice - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 18, 2008 4:16 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
I was just in a Wal-Mart this AM and they are full-on, big willie pimpin' the fact that the new AC/DC comes out on Monday. There were big signs right near the entrance of the store with a picture of Angus on'em, a big display of the NO BULL DVD and the rest of the back catalog near the CD department, and a big selection of AC/DC t-shirts (both BLACK ICE oriented as well as reproductions of classic tour shirts) and other gear in the clothing department.
The back catalog CDs were only $7.00 except for BACK IN BLACK and WHO MADE WHO, which were $9 for some reason... I was about to throw BLOW UP YOUR VIDEO and RAZORS EDGE in our cart when my wife shot me the "we don't have money for that sh*t this week, put'em back" look. Sad

Only $7? I may be picking up some of that back catalogue on Monday that I don't have on CD......
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: AC/DC-Black Ice   AC/DC-Black Ice - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 18, 2008 5:23 pm

I asked this question on another board, so I'll try it here too...

Do you think Walmart has received any negative feedback, mostly from the "bible-belt" area of the US for such heavy promotion of a "raunchy, heavy metal band" that was supposedly "Against Christ/Devil Committed"?
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: AC/DC-Black Ice   AC/DC-Black Ice - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 18, 2008 5:32 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:

Great story as always....

A couple of months ago, I picked up "Blow Up Your Video" and "Powerage" at a gas station while travelling through Michigan. I've been wanting to pick up the Remastered stuff, and since I had neither of these, it was time to grab them. I hated "Blow Up Your Video" when I was in high school, so much so that I never listened to the 2nd side on the tape I had. People on here told me that I should listen to it again. It was better, but still worse than anything they had brought out previously IMO. "Powerage", which I hadn't heard in years is great.

I went through Wall-Mart last week and saw both "Fly On The Wall" and "Flick of the Switch", and since I don't even have the original CD's, I got those as well. "Fly On The Wall" might have a bad production, but the songs are still great. "Flick of the Switch" is easily the most underrated ACDC album of all time.

I can't wait to get "Black Ice" on Monday.
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

PostSubject: Re: AC/DC-Black Ice   AC/DC-Black Ice - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 18, 2008 7:13 pm

flick and fly have some really good rock songs on so i dont know why they did so badly at the time
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: AC/DC-Black Ice   AC/DC-Black Ice - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 18, 2008 8:19 pm

I just got back from Walmart Freddy isn't kidding they are really promoting the hell out of AC/DC, posters and they have a whole section devoid to the band with t-shirts, back catalog of their CDs, I was amazed.

No one from Walmart or the Bible Belt have complained about AC/DC, they managed to do something I never imagined they would be able to do, they have gained mainstream acceptance, of course it helps that the people in charge of Walmart are in our age group and grow up on the band.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: AC/DC-Black Ice   AC/DC-Black Ice - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 18, 2008 8:27 pm

Wal Mart is evil incarnate, I refuse to shop there. So I'll be picking this one up at my local independent record store...that guy needs the money more than the evil W.M.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: AC/DC-Black Ice   AC/DC-Black Ice - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 18, 2008 8:58 pm

Did we ever ascertain for sure whether Walmart had exclusive selling rights to this?

mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: AC/DC-Black Ice   AC/DC-Black Ice - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 18, 2008 9:03 pm

For the CD version Walmart in the United States does, for the vinyl version that will be sold at small indepenant stores and major outlets.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: AC/DC-Black Ice   AC/DC-Black Ice - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 18, 2008 9:17 pm

Here is Rolling Stone magazine's review:

In the world according to AC/DC, sex, money, politics and other trappings of adulthood are a sick joke — but rock is sacred. No one this side of Chuck Berry has written so many great rock & roll songs about rock & roll, and no band short of the Ramones has so militantly refused to reach beyond the basics of the form. AC/DC offer a vision of the Stones if Keith had won every argument: no concept albums, no keyboards, no disco, no ballads, no gospel choirs. And Black Ice is their best argument in years — maybe decades — that evolution is for suckers.
Keeping your sound static places all the pressure on your songwriting. And for the first time since 1990's The Razor's Edge reached Generation Beavis, guitarists Malcolm and Angus Young have written tunes worthy of their musical muscle — though not enough to fill an album. With radio-savvy producer Brendan O'Brien on board, the best stuff nearly lives up to their career peaks, especially "Rock N Roll Train," where the brothers Young toss fat, slashing chords at each other like knife jugglers. Drummer Phil Rudd swings beneath with inhumanly restrained beats — he's so reluctant to play a fill that he makes Charlie Watts sound like Dave Grohl.
Similarly, bassist Cliff Williams seems content to play pumping eighth notes on every AC/DC song ever — except the funky walking line he lays down on the excellent "She Likes Rock N Roll." Another instant classic, "Big Jack," has the swagger of a long-lost Back in Black track. Even songs that rely on well-worn tricks — the two-string high-note riffing on "Anything Goes" recalls "For Those About to Rock (We Salute You)" — have enough verve to get over.
AC/DC avoid the cheerful sexism of the past (see the oral-sex ode "Givin the Dog a Bone"). Otherwise, the words haven't changed much, aside from a new preoccupation with apocalyptic meteorology ("Skies on Fire," "Stormy May Day," "Black Ice"). The title of "War Machine" is ominously topical, but the lyrics are vague enough ("call of the wild...that thing gone wild") to suggest that the "machine" is just another phallic metaphor. Phew.
Unlike original frontman Bon Scott, a born shrieker, Brian Johnson is a natural baritone, delivering tortured-weasel high notes through sheer force of will. Recently, he's sounded more wheezy than menacing at the top of his range, but O'Brien has him hitting his notes again here – and the band emphasizes the choruses by returning to the rich backup vocals that enlivened its greatest hits.
For a group of guys who are so convinced they're an "album band" that they refuse to sell their songs individually online, AC/DC have had trouble making consistent albums since 1981's For Those About to Rock. While Black Ice pulls away from that trend, it doesn't reverse it: The album feels longer than its 55 minutes, thanks to a stretch of throwaway rockers including the mindless "Spoilin' for a Fight" and the generic-even-by-their-standards "Wheels."
But there's something almost elegiac about Black Ice's multiple odes to rock — "Rocking All the Way," "Rock N Roll Dream," etc. These guys are true believers, fighting a war no one told them ended long ago. "We're gonna rock 'round...the town/We're gonna make it right/We're gonna make it rock all night," Johnson yelps at one point — making it clear that his band still finds resonance in words that were clichéd by 1956. And for that, you've got to salute them.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: AC/DC-Black Ice   AC/DC-Black Ice - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 18, 2008 9:37 pm

manny wrote:
For the CD version Walmart in the United States does, for the vinyl version that will be sold at small indepenant stores and major outlets.

That's cool, I'd rather have the vinyl anyway. I still haven't decided if I'm going to get it yet, the last AC/DC album I liked was The Razors Edge.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: AC/DC-Black Ice   AC/DC-Black Ice - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 18, 2008 9:40 pm

I'll be picking this up but I sure don't like having to set foot in Walmart to do it. The Walmart closest to me is really dirty; when I go there, I feel like I need a shower.

I may wait and see if I can get it at Sam's Club instead.

Metal master
Metal master
skullsmasher

Number of posts : 638

PostSubject: Re: AC/DC-Black Ice   AC/DC-Black Ice - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 18, 2008 9:44 pm

The early released tunes from Black Ice are great. VH1 has been playing tons of AC/DC the past few days too. This turning out to be a big deal to lots of folks.

The $7.00 CDs at walmart are pretty tempting I still need several of the older albums on CD, just might have to get me a couple.
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: AC/DC-Black Ice   AC/DC-Black Ice - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 18, 2008 9:45 pm

Wal Mart scares me. I feel so small and insignificant in there.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: AC/DC-Black Ice   AC/DC-Black Ice - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 18, 2008 9:46 pm

Walmart makes me feel like an astrophysicist.

I swear the average IQ of people I see there is about 70.

PostSubject: Re: AC/DC-Black Ice   AC/DC-Black Ice - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 18, 2008 10:25 pm

tohostudios wrote:
I'll be picking this up but I sure don't like having to set foot in Walmart to do it. The Walmart closest to me is really dirty; when I go there, I feel like I need a shower.

I may wait and see if I can get it at Sam's Club instead.

You can also buy it through the AC/DC website, toho.
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: AC/DC-Black Ice   AC/DC-Black Ice - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 19, 2008 9:55 am

I did the same thing, picked up every ac/dc cd walmart had, all the remastered for $7 except ac/dc live which I got the 2 disc set for $15. Now I'm only missing blow up your video and stiff upper lip
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

PostSubject: Re: AC/DC-Black Ice   AC/DC-Black Ice - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 19, 2008 9:57 am

i still need dirty deeds, powerage, highway to hell, blow up ypur video and ball breaker to finish the set
Back to top Go down
White_Mage
Metal master
Metal master
White_Mage

Number of posts : 535

PostSubject: Re: AC/DC-Black Ice   AC/DC-Black Ice - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 19, 2008 5:32 pm

I picked my copy up yesterday i got the dexlue version it came with a t-shirt and a littte ac/dc milk crate thing to hold ac/dc cd's. there was no display for it at my wal mart there were a couple albums just sitting there out of place it wasnt even in the new releases section i picked it up for like 30 bucks pretty good score if you ask me

Im listing to it right now and its really good its loaded with classic AC/DC hooks I'll get review for it later after a couple more spins
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

PostSubject: Re: AC/DC-Black Ice   AC/DC-Black Ice - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 19, 2008 5:39 pm

sweet
Back to top Go down
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

PostSubject: Re: AC/DC-Black Ice   AC/DC-Black Ice - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 19, 2008 6:11 pm

What about Jailbreak 74 I need that!

Wargod49
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: AC/DC-Black Ice   AC/DC-Black Ice - Page 9 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

AC/DC-Black Ice
Page 9 of 19Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14 ... 19  Next