Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Was Mr. Big the most god-awful band in the history of music?

Go down 
+18
the sentinel
metalinmyveins
DallasBlack
Shiney
jstate
EvyMetal
Metal Misfit
scottmitchell74
rattpoison
Tall Tyrion
XYZ
DeathCult
stepcousin
thejokeriv
MetalGuy71
tohostudios
MetalRob331
Fat Freddy
22 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

Was Mr. Big the most god-awful band in the history of music? - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Was Mr. Big the most god-awful band in the history of music?   Was Mr. Big the most god-awful band in the history of music? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 15, 2008 3:19 pm

YES, I HATED that song!!! As far as Mr. Big goes, they could've had a great catalog regardless of that abomination of a song. The fact is, I would never have discovered any of their other songs, because of that song! When I saw it on MTV back in the day, I couldn't believe that there were people who actually wanted that song to be on a regular rotation. It just seemed like it took hardly any work in putting that song together.

I think I remember hearing Dave Mustaine once talk about musicians, and stating something to the effect that, "Believe it or not, Billy Sheehan is a pretty good bassist (briefly mentioning Mr. Big)".

Unfortunately all it takes is one recognizable "Horrible song" to have all sorts of negative connotations linked to a band. I'll guess this is what Dave was getting at, when talking about Billy Sheehan.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Was Mr. Big the most god-awful band in the history of music?   Was Mr. Big the most god-awful band in the history of music? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 20, 2008 2:56 pm

No way. The most god-awful band in the history of music is Insane Clown Posse! lol!
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Was Mr. Big the most god-awful band in the history of music?   Was Mr. Big the most god-awful band in the history of music? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 22, 2008 8:08 pm

Imho, Danger Danger is the worst band ever. Sorry, Ted. Sad
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Was Mr. Big the most god-awful band in the history of music?   Was Mr. Big the most god-awful band in the history of music? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 22, 2008 8:15 pm

Paul gilbert is one of my favorite guitarists but i never got into this band. Way to cheesy and radio friendly. Can't blame them for trying to make $$$ though.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Was Mr. Big the most god-awful band in the history of music?   Was Mr. Big the most god-awful band in the history of music? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 02, 2009 3:28 pm

I just read on another forum (and then on Blabbermouth) that the "original" lineup of Mr. Big is reforming to go do a tour of Japan.

Oy.

Let's hope they stay there!!!

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Was Mr. Big the most god-awful band in the history of music?   Was Mr. Big the most god-awful band in the history of music? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 02, 2009 3:42 pm

God I just read thru the entire thread, while I Mr. Big were ok and enjoyed their cheesy albums I have always always HATED this song.

BTW Freddy you are wrong the most god awful band in the history of music is not Mr Big that honor belongs to Culture Craps
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: Was Mr. Big the most god-awful band in the history of music?   Was Mr. Big the most god-awful band in the history of music? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 02, 2009 4:55 pm

manny wrote:
God I just read thru the entire thread, while I Mr. Big were ok and enjoyed their cheesy albums I have always always HATED this song.

BTW Freddy you are wrong the most god awful band in the history of music is not Mr Big that honor belongs to Culture Craps

the drag queens? I rather listen to kittens being stepped on. sick
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal
YngwieDokkenfan
Metal student
Metal student
YngwieDokkenfan

Number of posts : 112

PostSubject: Re: Was Mr. Big the most god-awful band in the history of music?   Was Mr. Big the most god-awful band in the history of music? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2009 2:19 am

Eyesore wrote:
Yeah, that song grates on my nerves, too. Did they ever do anything heavier?

Heck yes they did!! Where were you guys in 1991?? There were other albums besides Guns n' Roses "Use Your Illusion" that came out in 1991, like the Mr. Big album "Lean Into It". To Be With You is the mellowest number by far, and is the only mellow number on this album. Lean Into It was a pretty popular album in 1991 among those who liked some real musicianship in their metal. Do you really think Paul Gilbert and Billy Sheehan just sat there strumming away on mellow stuff like "To Be With You?" That is just their mellow side.Unfortunately, the other tunes on Lean Into It never got much airplay. Most stations were too busy playing Poison, Warrant, Motley Crue, or Ugly Kid Joe's "Everything About You". As a result, you had to buy Lean Into It to hear tunes like "Daddy, Brother, Lover, Little Boy", or "Green-Tinted Sixties Mind". This album kicks ass and takes names all the way through, with the one mellow, acoustic number to finish things off. Paul Gilbert shreds up a storm all the way until the final song as well. Since Axl and Brett Michaels apparently had your attention back in 1991, go out and buy a real hair metal album that kicks some real ass. Lean Into It.

Their "Bump Ahead" album from 1993 was also excellent, but, unfortunately, everyone was hung up on a band that sounded like Neil Young with an anger issue by then. sick Nirvana
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Was Mr. Big the most god-awful band in the history of music?   Was Mr. Big the most god-awful band in the history of music? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2009 9:25 am

They would be tied with Poison, Winger and several others in my "hall of shame".
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Was Mr. Big the most god-awful band in the history of music?   Was Mr. Big the most god-awful band in the history of music? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2009 9:52 am

YngwieDokkenfan wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Yeah, that song grates on my nerves, too. Did they ever do anything heavier?

Heck yes they did!! Where were you guys in 1991?? There were other albums besides Guns n' Roses "Use Your Illusion" that came out in 1991, like the Mr. Big album "Lean Into It". To Be With You is the mellowest number by far, and is the only mellow number on this album. Lean Into It was a pretty popular album in 1991 among those who liked some real musicianship in their metal. Do you really think Paul Gilbert and Billy Sheehan just sat there strumming away on mellow stuff like "To Be With You?" That is just their mellow side.Unfortunately, the other tunes on Lean Into It never got much airplay. Most stations were too busy playing Poison, Warrant, Motley Crue, or Ugly Kid Joe's "Everything About You". As a result, you had to buy Lean Into It to hear tunes like "Daddy, Brother, Lover, Little Boy", or "Green-Tinted Sixties Mind". This album kicks ass and takes names all the way through, with the one mellow, acoustic number to finish things off. Paul Gilbert shreds up a storm all the way until the final song as well. Since Axl and Brett Michaels apparently had your attention back in 1991, go out and buy a real hair metal album that kicks some real ass. Lean Into It.

Their "Bump Ahead" album from 1993 was also excellent, but, unfortunately, everyone was hung up on a band that sounded like Neil Young with an anger issue by then. sick Nirvana

There was a band called Nirvana? Never heard of them I was too busy listening to Guns N Roses 'Use Your Illusion" I didnot know any other music existed outside of Axl Rose and his fellow towel swatters, I am shocked that I have ever heard of Mr Big, someone must of slipped that disc in my G n R cd case.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Was Mr. Big the most god-awful band in the history of music?   Was Mr. Big the most god-awful band in the history of music? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2009 9:56 am

Quote :
Since Axl and Brett Michaels apparently had your attention back in 1991, go out and buy a real hair metal album that kicks some real ass. Lean Into It.

Whoops, I think this thread offended somebody. Well excu-u-u-u-use us. Laughing

BTW, the only way Bret and Axl would've "had my attention" in 1991 was if I was looking at them through a rifle's sniper scope.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Was Mr. Big the most god-awful band in the history of music?   Was Mr. Big the most god-awful band in the history of music? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2009 11:17 am

I only read the tail of this thread but I can only assume the awful song in question is the dreaded "Be With You"? Ugh...even to an avowed ballad-hater like me, that song plumbs new depths of banality.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Was Mr. Big the most god-awful band in the history of music?   Was Mr. Big the most god-awful band in the history of music? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2009 11:43 am

Quote :
his fellow towel swatters

That comment almost made coffee shoot out of my nose. Thanks Manny,

Metal student
Metal student
YngwieDokkenfan

Number of posts : 112

PostSubject: Re: Was Mr. Big the most god-awful band in the history of music?   Was Mr. Big the most god-awful band in the history of music? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2009 12:06 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
Quote :
Since Axl and Brett Michaels apparently had your attention back in 1991, go out and buy a real hair metal album that kicks some real ass. Lean Into It.

Whoops, I think this thread offended somebody. Well excu-u-u-u-use us. Laughing

BTW, the only way Bret and Axl would've "had my attention" in 1991 was if I was looking at them through a rifle's sniper scope.

I hear ya Laughing very hard Especially if the barrel contained a tranquilizer, and Axl was doing "Mr. Brownstone" Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Was Mr. Big the most god-awful band in the history of music?   Was Mr. Big the most god-awful band in the history of music? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2009 1:05 pm

Bump...

Heard that Mr. Big song on the radio the other day and yep... it's still god-awful.

Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Was Mr. Big the most god-awful band in the history of music?   Was Mr. Big the most god-awful band in the history of music? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2009 2:15 pm

Billy Sheehan sucks all around. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Was Mr. Big the most god-awful band in the history of music?   Was Mr. Big the most god-awful band in the history of music? - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Was Mr. Big the most god-awful band in the history of music?
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4