Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

2008 MLB Thead

Go down 
+22
akeldama
metalinmyveins
nevermore
stevegarveyfan
Troublezone
thejokeriv
exact33
Tall Tyrion
jstate
MetalRob331
MetalGuy71
EvyMetal
rattpoison
the sentinel
DeathCult
Thrasher73
Stender
SAHB Healer
tohostudios
scottmitchell74
Fat Freddy
XYZ
26 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

2008 MLB Thead - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2008 MLB Thead   2008 MLB Thead - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 07, 2008 9:40 am

I'm still finding it hard to believe that the Tampa Bay Devil Rays are in the ALCS. The DEVIL RAYS? Those guys used to be the easiest punch line in baseball. What happened between last season and this one, did they sell their souls for a shot at the post season??

About a month ago I turned on the radio and heard the tail end of the sports report, and the guy said "The Yankees remain eight games behind the first place Tampa Bay Devil Rays," and I thought I'd slipped thru a wormhole to the Twilight Zone.

That said, I hope they eat the Red Sox for breakfast.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: 2008 MLB Thead   2008 MLB Thead - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 07, 2008 9:44 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
I'm still finding it hard to believe that the Tampa Bay Devil Rays are in the ALCS. The DEVIL RAYS? Those guys used to be the easiest punch line in baseball. What happened between last season and this one, did they sell their souls for a shot at the post season??

About a month ago I turned on the radio and heard the tail end of the sports report, and the guy said "The Yankees remain eight games behind the first place Tampa Bay Devil Rays," and I thought I'd slipped thru a wormhole to the Twilight Zone.

Simple. They dropped the "Devil" from their name thus lifting the curse.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: 2008 MLB Thead   2008 MLB Thead - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 07, 2008 9:51 am

tohostudios wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

Simple. They dropped the "Devil" from their name thus lifting the curse.

Of course!!! (Smacks forehead) It's so SIMPLE!!!

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: 2008 MLB Thead   2008 MLB Thead - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 07, 2008 1:11 pm

I'm sorry, I just can't root for the Rays. Not because of their players, but because of the fans. They had the 5th worst attendance figures in baseball this year. Heck, it probably would've been worse had the Yankees & Red Sox fans not filled up Tropicana Field when they came to town. I have no respect for a community who can't support their baseball team. Oh yeah, the fans filled up the place for the playoffs, but who can't do that. There were a couple of games this year when they were in the lead this year where the team drew less than 10,000......absolutely pathetic.

I thought the Marlins had a horrible fan base, but the Rays is singlehandedly the worst in baseball. I know it's Florida, and there are other things to do, but there is no excuse in not filling the place close to capacity, especially when you have a great team on the field.

I'm a Brewers fan, and for years we had trouble putting butts in the stands. Much of that was due to having Bud Selig as our former owner, and then having his daughter Wendy Selig Prieb run the show while he was commissioner. When Mark Attanasio became our new owner, he pledged to build a winning team if Milwaukee fans supported this team. Mr. Attanasio, the team, and the fans delivered this year. We had over 3,000,000 filling the stadium to almost 90% capacity.

Tampa Bay's percentage was 52% filled for this year's games. Pathetic franchise, if you ask me.

I will take Boston, Los Angeles or Philly any day before this dead beat community!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 2008 MLB Thead   2008 MLB Thead - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 07, 2008 1:41 pm

I'm hoping for a Dodgers/Red Sox finals and Manny and Joe Torre spanking the Sox.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: 2008 MLB Thead   2008 MLB Thead - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 07, 2008 2:33 pm

metalinmyveins wrote:

I thought the Marlins had a horrible fan base, but the Rays is singlehandedly the worst in baseball. I know it's Florida, and there are other things to do, but there is no excuse in not filling the place close to capacity, especially when you have a great team on the field.

The Marlins had their share of "fair weather" fans when the won the World Series back in '97... for about a week everybody was going to their games and the stadium was packed. Then everyone found something better to do, I guess. Laughing

Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: 2008 MLB Thead   2008 MLB Thead - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 07, 2008 3:14 pm

Nazgul wrote:
I'm hoping for a Dodgers/Red Sox finals and Manny and Joe Torre spanking the Sox.

Isn't it time for new teams to be in it? Who wants to see Torre and Manny in another World Series? I am hoping for a Phillies/Rays series as the Phillies are my favorite team cuz i was born and raised in the outskirts of Philly.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: 2008 MLB Thead   2008 MLB Thead - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 07, 2008 3:54 pm

MetalRob331 wrote:
Nazgul wrote:

Isn't it time for new teams to be in it? Who wants to see Torre and Manny in another World Series? I am hoping for a Phillies/Rays series as the Phillies are my favorite team cuz i was born and raised in the outskirts of Philly.

If you're a Phillies fan, you should know better than to get your hopes up. Very Happy I'll be very happy and quite surprised if they get past the Dodgers.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: 2008 MLB Thead   2008 MLB Thead - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 07, 2008 4:10 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
MetalRob331 wrote:
Nazgul wrote:

If you're a Phillies fan, you should know better than to get your hopes up. Very Happy I'll be very happy and quite surprised if they get past the Dodgers.

I have good hopes for this team. Usually we are not the favorite to win anything but this time we are (Even though everyone is picking the Dodgers). Yes, people aren't giving us a chance but, we have a better team this time around and the record proves it. Better starting pitching, better bullpen, and a better line-up imo. People seem to think Manny is why the Dodgers are where they are, and I can agree to that somewhat, but they are confident and I think a little too over confident after beating the Cubs who were lifeless because of resting there starters. I think the Phillies run away with this series in 5 or 6. Remember the Dodgers were only 30-25 with Manny thats only 5 games over .500
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: 2008 MLB Thead   2008 MLB Thead - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 07, 2008 4:19 pm

MetalRob331 wrote:
Nazgul wrote:

This is precisely why I'm rooting against the Phillies.

Although I don't hate them with the fiery passion I did while growing up in Emmaus, I still don't like them because of years of listening to Harry Kallas and Richie Ashburn go on and on about how great the Phillies were.

And they stole Steve Carlton from the Cardinals too.

Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: 2008 MLB Thead   2008 MLB Thead - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 07, 2008 4:41 pm

tohostudios wrote:
MetalRob331 wrote:
Nazgul wrote:

This is precisely why I'm rooting against the Phillies.

Although I don't hate them with the fiery passion I did while growing up in Emmaus, I still don't like them because of years of listening to Harry Kallas and Richie Ashburn go on and on about how great the Phillies were.

And they stole Steve Carlton from the Cardinals too.

i used to drive through emmaus to work everyday. I lived 20 mins north of allentown..
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: 2008 MLB Thead   2008 MLB Thead - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 07, 2008 4:43 pm

Small world, huh?

Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: 2008 MLB Thead   2008 MLB Thead - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 07, 2008 6:02 pm

tohostudios wrote:
Small world, huh?

So small that i moved 800 miles west to Columbus Ohio...
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: 2008 MLB Thead   2008 MLB Thead - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 07, 2008 6:45 pm

And I moved 800 miles southwest to St. Louis, Missouri.

Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

PostSubject: Re: 2008 MLB Thead   2008 MLB Thead - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 07, 2008 6:50 pm

Braves fan since 1990, a lot of disappointing years let me tell ya.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: 2008 MLB Thead   2008 MLB Thead - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 07, 2008 6:59 pm

akeldama wrote:

I assume that's a sarcastic remark.

Until New England got so full of themselves, The Braves were my most hated team of any sport. I got so sick entired of the self-proclaimed "America's Team" winning all the damn time. And that stupid chop n chant high school crap...God, I hated that team. Still do it's just that the Patriots have gotten even more obnoxious so the Braves have to take the runnerup spot on my hatred list.

But I still hate 'em!

2008 MLB Thead - Page 3 543534

Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: 2008 MLB Thead   2008 MLB Thead - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 07, 2008 7:08 pm

I want the Phillies and the Rays as they either have no titles or the longest current drought of available teams.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: 2008 MLB Thead   2008 MLB Thead - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 07, 2008 7:27 pm

akeldama wrote:

dont they have the record for 16 str8 divisions
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: 2008 MLB Thead   2008 MLB Thead - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 07, 2008 7:29 pm

MetalRob331 wrote:
akeldama wrote:

Something like that. That's why I assumed that was a facetious post.

Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: 2008 MLB Thead   2008 MLB Thead - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 07, 2008 7:39 pm

I can actually sort of see the Braves fans' pain.....all those consecutive Post-Season appearances and only one WS to show for it.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: 2008 MLB Thead   2008 MLB Thead - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 07, 2008 7:44 pm

Cry me a river.

Teams like Tampa never even finished above .500 before.

And regarding Tampa's lack of fan support, no one was worse for that than Atlanta. Braves fans didn't pack the joint until the post season because they just always assumed they'd be in it at the end.

At least Tampa fans used to be able to say "Why go because we suck".

Kinda like Rams fans are saying now...

The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: 2008 MLB Thead   2008 MLB Thead - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 07, 2008 7:50 pm

scottmitchell74 wrote:
I want the Phillies and the Rays as they either have no titles or the longest current drought of available teams.

I want the phillies since I have been following them ever since i can remember watching baseball. While they have the bad habit of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory I really want uncle charlie and co to win the big one this year!!

Alex

akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

PostSubject: Re: 2008 MLB Thead   2008 MLB Thead - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 07, 2008 8:36 pm

tohostudios wrote:
MetalRob331 wrote:
akeldama wrote:

Something like that. That's why I assumed that was a facetious post.

All those division titles but only one WS win, being up on the Yanks 2-0 only to blow it was exceptionally rough. Sad
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: 2008 MLB Thead   2008 MLB Thead - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 07, 2008 11:16 pm

tohostudios wrote:
Cry me a river.

Teams like Tampa never even finished above .500 before.

And regarding Tampa's lack of fan support, no one was worse for that than Atlanta. Braves fans didn't pack the joint until the post season because they just always assumed they'd be in it at the end.

At least Tampa fans used to be able to say "Why go because we suck".

Kinda like Rams fans are saying now...

The reason Tampa fans have no excuses is, they've been hot since the beginning of the season. This isn't a team that got hot late...they've been the team in the east. I will support your summation regarding the Braves. I would say like Tampa and Miami, Atlanta is easily the most fickle sports city. They only support a winner, and even when the Braves were going to the playoffs during their last 6 years of their 14 year run, they were having trouble selling the place out. Say what you want about cities like Boston, New York, or St. Louis, this would never happen there.

I'm sorry, but I just can't root for the Rays. When someone roots for a team, they ultimately are rooting for another city. Those fans have no excuses for not coming out to the Rays games. I don't want to hear it about the long suffering Rays either. As a Brewers fan, we didn't get to the postseason for 26 straight years. No Rays fan would possibly know what that's like. The Brewers have had stronger attendance figures than this years Rays team, when they were 20 games under .500. Screw Tampa!!! Hopefully one of the other 3 teams will win it.
Back to top Go down
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

PostSubject: Re: 2008 MLB Thead   2008 MLB Thead - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 08, 2008 4:50 pm

You play ball like a girl!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2008 MLB Thead   2008 MLB Thead - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

2008 MLB Thead
Page 3 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next