Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

No Prayer For The Dying is a great album

Go down 
+16
kmorg
MoonChild
Muloc7253
nevermore
MetalGuy71
the sentinel
iamrockerfun
Invader
DallasBlack
thejokeriv
INVADERS
ultmetal
Fat Freddy
Troublezone
Required Fields
mc666
20 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

No Prayer For The Dying is a great album Empty
PostSubject: No Prayer For The Dying is a great album   No Prayer For The Dying is a great album Icon_minitimeSun Apr 27, 2008 5:38 pm

I've been listening to this little ditty a lot over the weekend. and has to be said, I'm loving it. No Prayer For The Dying is a great album 604261 The title track has always been one of my all-time favourite Maiden songs, but there's some great stuff in here that I'm only starting to appreciate recently. Songs like Fates Warning, Run Silent Run Deep and Public Enema Number One are definitely hidden gems in the Irons' catalog. The only song I tend to skip over is Bring Your Daughter To The Slaughter, which is fun the first time you hear it, but gets shittier with every listen after that.

Still, really solid album that doesn't deserve the hate it gets. I'd take it over that smurfing snoozefest AMOLAD.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: No Prayer For The Dying is a great album   No Prayer For The Dying is a great album Icon_minitimeSun Apr 27, 2008 5:42 pm

it's ok...still better than any of the blaze era material.

Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28454

PostSubject: Re: No Prayer For The Dying is a great album   No Prayer For The Dying is a great album Icon_minitimeSun Apr 27, 2008 8:04 pm

It has one or two good songs, but otherwise, it's nothing special at all.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: No Prayer For The Dying is a great album   No Prayer For The Dying is a great album Icon_minitimeSun Apr 27, 2008 11:25 pm

I wouldn't call it great by any means but like Mc666 said it's better than anything by Blaze. I think it was a very burned out time for Maiden.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: No Prayer For The Dying is a great album   No Prayer For The Dying is a great album Icon_minitimeMon Apr 28, 2008 6:59 am

The song Fates Warning is one of my all time favs, but they kinda took a snooze on this album.

Last edited by spectrefate on Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37654

PostSubject: Re: No Prayer For The Dying is a great album   No Prayer For The Dying is a great album Icon_minitimeMon Apr 28, 2008 8:34 am

I dunno if I'd go as far as "great" but it has some decent stuff on it. It does kinda sound like Maiden phoned most of it in though.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: No Prayer For The Dying is a great album   No Prayer For The Dying is a great album Icon_minitimeMon Apr 28, 2008 8:36 am

I always thought this was a mediocre album in the Maiden catalog frankly. Actually, I much prefer the darker "The X Factor" with Blaze on vocals. I think it is a vastly underrated album in the Maiden catalog. "X Factor" wouldn't rank high on the best Maiden albums, but song for song, it has more tunes I enjoy than "No Prayer for the Dying".

Metal master
Metal master
INVADERS

Number of posts : 937

PostSubject: Re: No Prayer For The Dying is a great album   No Prayer For The Dying is a great album Icon_minitimeMon Apr 28, 2008 8:39 am

- i really like it
- but saying that, i love all of maiden's releases
- the Blaze-era albums get far too much stick.... they're not that bad
- the x factor is one of my fav maiden albums
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: No Prayer For The Dying is a great album   No Prayer For The Dying is a great album Icon_minitimeMon Apr 28, 2008 6:08 pm

INVADERS wrote:
- i really like it
- but saying that, i love all of maiden's releases
- the Blaze-era albums get far too much stick.... they're not that bad
- the x factor is one of my fav maiden albums

Agree on all points
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: No Prayer For The Dying is a great album   No Prayer For The Dying is a great album Icon_minitimeMon Apr 28, 2008 6:28 pm

IMHO, it's a great album........compared to the blaze years, one of the weaker Maiden releases. Having bought it as a new release, imagine going for the run they had with awesome, classic album and then release this one right after SSOASS - the general consensus was "what happened to Maiden". Now, as I look back, not a bad album, but not great either.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: No Prayer For The Dying is a great album   No Prayer For The Dying is a great album Icon_minitimeTue Apr 29, 2008 12:36 am

I like No Prayer. It's got that retro early-90s metal sound that's so cool. Whenever I listen to it, I feel the same way as when I listen to the Black Album, Countdown to Extinctions, or Painkiller. I know Painkiller is nothing like the others, but something about the solos and production reminds me of them. Anyway, No Prayer is bland after the other classics. But, I like having the bland ones mixed in. It makes for an interesting variety of albums. They can't all be classics. Otherwise, a classic wouldn't be as significant. For instance, I'll listen to Stained Class and Point of Entry back-to-back and appreciate them both for unique ways. There's greatness in all metal. Sometimes, it just takes more time and effort to realize it.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: No Prayer For The Dying is a great album   No Prayer For The Dying is a great album Icon_minitimeTue Apr 29, 2008 1:24 am

ultmetal wrote:
I always thought this was a mediocre album in the Maiden catalog frankly. Actually, I much prefer the darker "The X Factor" with Blaze on vocals. I think it is a vastly underrated album in the Maiden catalog. "X Factor" wouldn't rank high on the best Maiden albums, but song for song, it has more tunes I enjoy than "No Prayer for the Dying".

Here, here! I like everything Maiden has done but No Prayer is one of my least favorites but still above Virtual XI.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: No Prayer For The Dying is a great album   No Prayer For The Dying is a great album Icon_minitimeTue Apr 29, 2008 12:03 pm

[quote="get_the_firehouse"]IAnyway, No Prayer is bland after the other classics. But, I like having the bland ones mixed in. It makes for an interesting variety of albums. They can't all be classics. Otherwise, a classic wouldn't be as significant. quote]

But, Maiden did release nothing but classics until No Prayer - 7 classic studio albums and 1 live classic!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Invader
Metal master
Metal master
Invader

Number of posts : 590

PostSubject: Re: No Prayer For The Dying is a great album   No Prayer For The Dying is a great album Icon_minitimeTue Apr 29, 2008 1:51 pm

It's one of my least favorite Maiden albums. It does have few good songs, but it has too many bad songs.
Back to top Go down
iamrockerfun
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
iamrockerfun

Number of posts : 2003

PostSubject: Re: No Prayer For The Dying is a great album   No Prayer For The Dying is a great album Icon_minitimeTue Apr 29, 2008 3:29 pm

much better than dance of death.
but BYDttS is top favoutrite song.
Back to top Go down
http://bootlegnightmare.euweb.cz/
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: No Prayer For The Dying is a great album   No Prayer For The Dying is a great album Icon_minitimeTue Apr 29, 2008 5:30 pm

Required Fields wrote:
It has one or two good songs, but otherwise, it's nothing special at all.

My thoughts exactly!!!
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: No Prayer For The Dying is a great album   No Prayer For The Dying is a great album Icon_minitimeTue Apr 29, 2008 5:36 pm

I like it well enough. The good songs are real good and the others aren't that bad. Not the 1st Maiden disc I'd pull off the shelf, but not as bad as some seem to think.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25893

PostSubject: Re: No Prayer For The Dying is a great album   No Prayer For The Dying is a great album Icon_minitimeTue Apr 29, 2008 5:42 pm

I thhink it's a pretty good disc. Not my favorite by no means but still a good listen.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28454

PostSubject: Re: No Prayer For The Dying is a great album   No Prayer For The Dying is a great album Icon_minitimeTue Apr 29, 2008 9:47 pm

I would say the album more or less defines the term "For diehard fans only".
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan

PostSubject: Re: No Prayer For The Dying is a great album   No Prayer For The Dying is a great album Icon_minitimeWed Apr 30, 2008 10:10 am

I don't think it's 'great', but i'm often surprised by how much this album is overlooked. 'Holy Smoke', 'Fates Warning', No Prayer For The Dying', and especially 'Tailgunner' are all really good. With that said, i truly believe that 'Bring Your Daughter....' is the worst song they ever recorded. It's not a Maiden song and it shouldn't ever have been put anywhere near a Maiden album.
Back to top Go down
Muloc7253
Metal student
Metal student
Muloc7253

Number of posts : 246

PostSubject: Re: No Prayer For The Dying is a great album   No Prayer For The Dying is a great album Icon_minitimeWed Apr 30, 2008 10:44 am

I do like the title track a lot.
Back to top Go down
MoonChild
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 15680

PostSubject: Re: No Prayer For The Dying is a great album   No Prayer For The Dying is a great album Icon_minitimeWed Apr 30, 2008 1:50 pm

I won't call it a great album, but I like that album very much. 🤘
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: No Prayer For The Dying is a great album   No Prayer For The Dying is a great album Icon_minitimeWed Apr 30, 2008 2:16 pm

I just enjoy Maiden---haven't heard any of the "blaze stuff"... nor have a heard no prayer...

Love the early/mid 80s releases... and have heard enought good stuff aboutthe latest release--that I many have to go get that one...

Great band..
Metal Blessings,
pb
www.guitarjams.net
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: No Prayer For The Dying is a great album   No Prayer For The Dying is a great album Icon_minitimeWed Apr 30, 2008 2:18 pm

Welcome Pastor Brad!!!

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: No Prayer For The Dying is a great album   No Prayer For The Dying is a great album Icon_minitimeWed Apr 30, 2008 2:18 pm

Welcome Pastor Brad!!!

PostSubject: Re: No Prayer For The Dying is a great album   No Prayer For The Dying is a great album Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

No Prayer For The Dying is a great album
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next