Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Best Tune on "No Prayer for the Dying" by Iron Maiden

Go down 
+18
scottmitchell74
nevermore
Wurthless
iamrockerfun
Fat Freddy
80s Metal Lady
Troublezone
Citanul
James B.
Lari
MoonChild
chewie
Required Fields
Boris2008
Thelemech
Witchfinder
corplhicks
22 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Best Tune on "No Prayer for the Dying"
Tailgunner
Best Tune on "No Prayer for the Dying" by Iron Maiden Vote_lcap29%Best Tune on "No Prayer for the Dying" by Iron Maiden Vote_rcap
 29% [ 8 ]
Holy Smoke
Best Tune on "No Prayer for the Dying" by Iron Maiden Vote_lcap18%Best Tune on "No Prayer for the Dying" by Iron Maiden Vote_rcap
 18% [ 5 ]
No Prayer for the Dying
Best Tune on "No Prayer for the Dying" by Iron Maiden Vote_lcap7%Best Tune on "No Prayer for the Dying" by Iron Maiden Vote_rcap
 7% [ 2 ]
Public Enema No. 1
Best Tune on "No Prayer for the Dying" by Iron Maiden Vote_lcap11%Best Tune on "No Prayer for the Dying" by Iron Maiden Vote_rcap
 11% [ 3 ]
Fates Warning
Best Tune on "No Prayer for the Dying" by Iron Maiden Vote_lcap4%Best Tune on "No Prayer for the Dying" by Iron Maiden Vote_rcap
 4% [ 1 ]
The Assassin
Best Tune on "No Prayer for the Dying" by Iron Maiden Vote_lcap7%Best Tune on "No Prayer for the Dying" by Iron Maiden Vote_rcap
 7% [ 2 ]
Run Silent Run Deep
Best Tune on "No Prayer for the Dying" by Iron Maiden Vote_lcap11%Best Tune on "No Prayer for the Dying" by Iron Maiden Vote_rcap
 11% [ 3 ]
Hooks in You
Best Tune on "No Prayer for the Dying" by Iron Maiden Vote_lcap0%Best Tune on "No Prayer for the Dying" by Iron Maiden Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Bring Your Daughter...to the Slaughter
 7% [ 2 ]
Mother Russia
Best Tune on "No Prayer for the Dying" by Iron Maiden Vote_lcap6%Best Tune on "No Prayer for the Dying" by Iron Maiden Vote_rcap
 6% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 28

AuthorMessage
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

Best Tune on "No Prayer for the Dying" by Iron Maiden Empty
PostSubject: Best Tune on "No Prayer for the Dying" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "No Prayer for the Dying" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2016 6:09 pm

No Prayer for the Dying

Best Tune on "No Prayer for the Dying" by Iron Maiden IRON_MAIDEN_-_NO_PRAYER_FOR_THE_DYING_greek_lp_1

Recorded (IN A f*cking BARN) June – September 1990 at Barnyard Studios, Essex, England
Released Oct 1 1990
Produced by Martin Birch

Tunes

Tailgunner
Holy Smoke
No Prayer for the Dying
Public Enema No. 1
Fates Warning
The Assassin
Run Silent Run Deep
Hooks in You
Bring Your Daughter...to the Slaughter
Mother Russia

Adrian is out and Janick is in.

So, believe it or not, I decided to give this album a whirl before posting the poll because I've never heard the entire thing due to all the hostile reaction. All I had heard beforehand was Tailgunner, Holy Smoke, and Daughter. I gotta say, it's not actually a terrible record--but it certainly is their weakest hour. In fact, Hooks in You has to be the WORST Maiden tune I've heard so far--that is an insanely annoying, rambling piece. And some of the numbers just kind of come and go like they were thrown together in a rush. The production here is hollow and canned as ever (I mean, a barn for god's sake; it may have worked with Neil Young but not a good idea for these lads). It seems they were going for a more in-your-face hard rock sound, what with Bruce's added vocal grit and some AC/DC-esque riffing. But there are good songs here--Tailgunner is rather rad (my vote), Holy Smoke is fun, The Assassin is slick and threatening, Run Silent Run Deep has some great lyrical work, Daughter is just a good 'ol headbanger, and Mother Russia is totally Harris. I think this record deserves a little more than all the hate I've been hearing, and some songs would be great additions to their setlists.

Plus I just love Janick's style. Dude was/is an amazing replacement/addition to the band.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7613

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "No Prayer for the Dying" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "No Prayer for the Dying" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2016 6:16 pm

"Tailgunner" for me. The band sounds like they have run out of steam on this one, and it didn't help that traditional metal had almost completely faded from the scene at this point in time.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Thelemech
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Thelemech

Number of posts : 4009

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "No Prayer for the Dying" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "No Prayer for the Dying" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2016 6:18 pm

I really liked this whole album but I chose Holy Smoke.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "No Prayer for the Dying" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "No Prayer for the Dying" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2016 6:20 pm

I'm going to listen to this for the first time before voting but from the two songs I know, I like Holy Smoke, it sounds like a DiAnno era song and I can always imagine Paul spitting out those lyrics. Bring Your Daughter is a f*cking abomination! On hearing that song I thought 'I'm out!' and I never went back, it was the end of the line with me and Iron Maiden (it had been dwindling since Powerslave)

But in the spirit of these threads I'll give it a listen, if I can make it through Jugulator I can make it through this! lol!
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "No Prayer for the Dying" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "No Prayer for the Dying" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2016 6:22 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
I'm going to listen to this for the first time before voting but from the two songs I know, I like Holy Smoke, it sounds like a DiAnno era song and I can always imagine Paul spitting out those lyrics.

Bruce seems to be channeling Paul here and there. Some of these tunes would be a nice fit for him.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "No Prayer for the Dying" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "No Prayer for the Dying" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2016 7:26 pm

Holy Smoke and the title track are pretty good, the rest bored me, the band sound bored on this one.

Went for the title track.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39631

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "No Prayer for the Dying" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "No Prayer for the Dying" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2016 8:39 pm

Run Silent Run Deep. This one gets a lot of hate but I don't mind the album.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28454

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "No Prayer for the Dying" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "No Prayer for the Dying" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2016 9:26 pm

I'm not a big fan of this album. I really like the song "Mother Russia", though. That song has my vote.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "No Prayer for the Dying" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "No Prayer for the Dying" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2016 9:27 pm

Holy Smoke for me!
Back to top Go down
MoonChild
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 15680

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "No Prayer for the Dying" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "No Prayer for the Dying" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2016 12:22 am

Run Silent Run Deep

I love this album.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6337

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "No Prayer for the Dying" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "No Prayer for the Dying" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2016 12:32 am

Their worst album. I don't hate it, but it's pretty bland.

Best track is any one of the first three. Since it's not multiple choice, I guess I'll go with Holy Smoke.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12630

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "No Prayer for the Dying" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "No Prayer for the Dying" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2016 12:42 am

Just finished listening to this in it's entirety for the very first time. I was only familiar with the songs that were on the Maiden DVD's that came out a while back.

I guess "Tail gunner"

This too was a rough listen.

Metal master
Metal master
Citanul

Number of posts : 657

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "No Prayer for the Dying" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "No Prayer for the Dying" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2016 2:33 am

The title track for me.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "No Prayer for the Dying" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "No Prayer for the Dying" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2016 4:04 am

I actually like this album! It pairs up nicely with Bruce's Tattooed Millionaire record. They definitely lean more toward hard rock than metal, but I don't mind...
I went with Tailgunner, but I also like Holy Smoke a lot too.
Back to top Go down
80s Metal Lady
Metal master
Metal master
80s Metal Lady

Number of posts : 896

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "No Prayer for the Dying" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "No Prayer for the Dying" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2016 12:58 pm

Going with "Tailgunner" although it's quite repetitive. I really like the guitar riffs in that one. "Hooks In You" is pretty catchy, too.

I had this on cassette back when it came out, but ended up selling it. I just couldn't get into it and I was starting to like other styles of music at that time. I don't remember the songs at all except "Bring Your Daughter..." (Ugh). I guess I didn't listen to it much back in the day.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37654

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "No Prayer for the Dying" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "No Prayer for the Dying" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2016 1:15 pm

"Tailgunner," even tho it's basically "Aces High II: Electric Boogaloo"

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
iamrockerfun
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
iamrockerfun

Number of posts : 2003

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "No Prayer for the Dying" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "No Prayer for the Dying" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2016 2:20 pm

voted for BYDttS but NPFD is gr8 tune also.
shame that they didnt play anything from this albim since 2003
Back to top Go down
http://bootlegnightmare.euweb.cz/
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5065

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "No Prayer for the Dying" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "No Prayer for the Dying" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2016 2:28 pm

I only really dislike Hooks in You. Everything else ranges from tolerate to really enjoy. That kinda blows, though, because one expects Maiden to deliver high caliber material.

My favorite track is Public Enema No. 1. With the title track being a close second.

Mother Russia kills, too.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25889

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "No Prayer for the Dying" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "No Prayer for the Dying" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2016 2:54 pm

I went with Holy Smoke.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9047

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "No Prayer for the Dying" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "No Prayer for the Dying" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2016 5:06 pm

I actually have always liked this album. And, I love Bring Your Daughter to the Slaughter!
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "No Prayer for the Dying" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "No Prayer for the Dying" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2016 6:00 pm

I spun this a second time today, and I gotta say--I really, really like it. Hell, it's better than Seventh Son in my book (I know, bold statement right). Assassin is a complete throwback tune that could've been on Killers, Fates Warning has a sinister drive to it, I love the lyrics to Run Silent, and Public Enema is chock full of hooks. Hooks in You is still awful the second time around (actually it's worse), and I'll always be a proponent for Daughter, I think it's a wickedly fun number. The whole album is rather focused and tight, especially regarding the state of affairs at the time.

I'm wondering, why all the hate for this album? So I thought of a few things that may have tarnished its reputation:

a) the shoddy mix
b) the press
c) Adrian's absence
d) condensed song length (the title track cuts off way too soon)

Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7613

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "No Prayer for the Dying" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "No Prayer for the Dying" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2016 6:04 pm

corplhicks wrote:

I'm wondering, why all the hate for this album? So I thought of a few things that may have tarnished its reputation:

a) the shoddy mix
b) the press
c) Adrian's absence
d) condensed song length (the title track cuts off way too soon)

Thoughts?

All of those and the fact that Iron Maiden and their brand of metal was no longer cutting edge and they were viewed as yesterday's news.  See also Dio - Lock Up The Wolves for a doppleganger.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "No Prayer for the Dying" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "No Prayer for the Dying" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2016 8:24 pm

I voted "Tailgunner" but I also really like the title track and "Assassin" and "Bring Your Daughter" are good songs as well. Every know and again I get the hankerin' to hear this one and I spin it and the same thing always happens- I get a few songs in and I grow bored and hold on until "Daughter" comes on and shut it off.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "No Prayer for the Dying" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "No Prayer for the Dying" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2016 8:26 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
"Tailgunner," even tho it's basically "Aces High II: Electric Boogaloo"

Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "No Prayer for the Dying" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "No Prayer for the Dying" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2016 1:42 am

Not one of my favorite Maiden albums but I still like it. It's a toss up between the title track and Run Silent. I went with Run Silent by a hair.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "No Prayer for the Dying" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "No Prayer for the Dying" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Best Tune on "No Prayer for the Dying" by Iron Maiden
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next