Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Great thrash album!

Go down 
+9
AchrisK
zombiewalkin
MetalGuy71
sovdat
Temple of Blood
mc666
SideShowDisaSter
krokus
ultmetal
13 posters
AuthorMessage
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

Great thrash album! Empty
PostSubject: Great thrash album!   Great thrash album! Icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2007 8:22 am

Great thrash album! Productofsociety
Defiance - Product Of Society (Roadrunner) 1989

1. "The Fault" (3:09)
2. "Death Machine" (3:54)
3. "Product of Society" (3:27)
4. "Forgotten" (3:43)
5. "Lock Jaw" (3:40)
6. "Insomnia" (3:55)
7. "Dead Intentions" (2:53)
8. "Aftermath" [instrumental] (1:27)
9. "Tribulation" (5:04)
10. "Hypothermia" (5:19)

Defiance were one of the many second tier Bay Area thrash bands running around during a time when speed metal and thrash were king. "Product of Society" was their debut album and is a solid effort. I've read a number of luke-warm reviews over the years but I just can't understand what it is these reviewers are looking for. Granted Defiance didn't do a whole lot to set them selves apart from the more well known bands from that scene. However, "Product of Society" is still a quality thrash release, with a sound not unlike Testament or even Vio-lence. This CD is chock full of tasty thrash riffs, some good guitar solos, and some fairly technical songwriting. The drumming is quite diverse, although there is still plenty of those typicial thrash downbeats. So what's to complain about? OK, perhaps vocalist Ken Elkinton, who left after the debut, suffers a bit from a lack of identity. He doesn't quite have the charisma of guys like Chuck Billy, Steve Souza or Russ Anderson. Still, the vocals are aggressive, yet still somewhat clean as was typical for a thrash band from this scene in the late 80's. I've also read a number of complaints about the production. "Product of Society" was produced by Jeff Waters of Annihilator fame. While the sound isn't real thick, it's not horrid either. Perhaps these knucklehead reviewers need to go back and listen to "Killing Is My Business..." a few times to remember how bad production really could be for some of the 80's thrash bands. The fact is, "Product of Society" is a quality thrash metal release from a band who hasn't received the recognition they deserve.

Last edited by on Thu May 10, 2007 8:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

PostSubject: Re: Great thrash album!   Great thrash album! Icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2007 8:41 am

Yes, they were a great thrash metal band and i love that album you are talking about (still have it on vinyl). The next one, VOID TERRA FIRMA was also good but POS was better.
Back to top Go down
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4607

PostSubject: Re: Great thrash album!   Great thrash album! Icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2007 9:10 am

Yup, gotta agree. I don't know what the problem is that people seem to have with Defiance. I like all of their albums quite a bit.

Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Great thrash album!   Great thrash album! Icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2007 10:28 am

i always preferred the singer on Product to the other guy.

Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Great thrash album!   Great thrash album! Icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2007 11:28 am

I've heard some stuff from this band but I never thought it was that good.
Back to top Go down
sovdat
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal

Number of posts : 1786

PostSubject: Re: Great thrash album!   Great thrash album! Icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2007 11:37 am

Solid at its best.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Great thrash album!   Great thrash album! Icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2007 11:41 am

The only release I own by Defiance is "Beyond Recognition", which I enjoy quite a bit. I've always wanted to get the other 2 releases, just never got around to it. Same old story...so many cd's, so little money.

Fun Fact: I got to see the lead singer, Steev Esquivel guest-vocal for Exodus on the Megadeth "System Has Failed" tour right after Steve Souza left, before Rob Dukes joined the group.
Back to top Go down
zombiewalkin
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
zombiewalkin

Number of posts : 292

PostSubject: Re: Great thrash album!   Great thrash album! Icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2007 11:52 am

I could never really get into this band either....which is why I traded out my POS cd....to Sideshow I believe or maybe it was someone else. Eh anyway....on with the thread.
Back to top Go down
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

PostSubject: Re: Great thrash album!   Great thrash album! Icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2007 11:57 am

Wasn't me bro. I scored my copy on eBay for $6 cause the seller mispelled the band name.🤘

Though you DID sell me Dreamweaver for uber cheap!Twisted Evil

Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Great thrash album!   Great thrash album! Icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2007 12:02 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:

They remind me a bit of Testament. They have the West Coast thrash sound. Do you generally like that sound?
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Great thrash album!   Great thrash album! Icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2007 3:00 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:

They remind me a bit of Testament. They have the West Coast thrash sound. Do you generally like that sound?

Absolutely.
Back to top Go down
AchrisK
Metal master
Metal master
AchrisK

Number of posts : 975

PostSubject: Re: Great thrash album!   Great thrash album! Icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2007 4:18 pm

Wow, what a trip! I was just thinking of posting about this very release. Been jamming my cassette copy lately, and am fairly impressed. Good solid thrash. The instrumental on side 2 is killer!

So, what is the typical price range of their albums on CD?

ack
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: Great thrash album!   Great thrash album! Icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2007 4:28 pm

About $30, I'd say. If they go back in print, it'll probably go down a bit.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

PostSubject: Re: Great thrash album!   Great thrash album! Icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2007 4:28 pm

Beyond Recognition can be gotten for pretty cheap, around $15 or less.

Void Terra Firma is a bit more pricey, going for around $20-$25 or so.

Product Of Society is the rare one. It's ranges around $40+.

These are all eBay prices, BTW.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: Great thrash album!   Great thrash album! Icon_minitimeFri May 11, 2007 10:51 am

ultmetal wrote:

I love that sound, might be my favorite type of metal. I suppose they sounded somewhat like Testament, all of those bands were similar because they were all like brothers taking over the world, friendly rivalries
so to speak. what an era that was.

🇬🇹
Back to top Go down
Todd Jaymz
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Todd Jaymz

Number of posts : 324

PostSubject: Re: Great thrash album!   Great thrash album! Icon_minitimeFri May 11, 2007 2:43 pm

So many great bands from the era that had 1 to 3 albums then gone. Alot of that music still holds it's own yet today, and it's great to see a few of those bands starting to play out again. It's also great to see labels re-releasing some of the old classic Thrash albums, like Megaforce did with Vio-Lence a few years back-TJ
Back to top Go down
mr.electric39
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

Number of posts : 1828

PostSubject: Re: Great thrash album!   Great thrash album! Icon_minitimeSat May 12, 2007 12:41 am

I remember seeing their name in BAM a lot (bay area musicians) ads for the various shows.

Honestly I viewed the first three Metallica lps as bay area thrash... Testament struck me as more technical. I saw 'em at some of the small clubs for the first disc. Then 'Forbidden' came out... also more technical... so does 'Defiance' have that 'techinical' side or is it more power chord?

Metalllica, Exodus always struck me one way and Testament the other..... I loved the re-recorded disc 'First Strike is Deadly'.... ABSOLUTELY blows out the originals..... couldn't believe it when I heard it... heavier tighter cleaner (no so muddy sounding) IN TO THE PIT !!!!!! 🤘 🤘

where's my disc !!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E48UihPXujM

for your viewing pleasure.... TRIAL BY FIRE....!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UELw018TYtc

The New Order is HERE !!!! LIVE.....

Am I wrong or did Chuck Billy "originate" the booming low end "yyyyyuuuuuuuaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh!!!" instead of screaming for the high note???? I mean 'The Legacy' came out in what???? 88' or 89'....
Back to top Go down
http://www.whitethronereviews.blogspot.com
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

PostSubject: Re: Great thrash album!   Great thrash album! Icon_minitimeSat May 12, 2007 10:48 am

The Legacy came out in 1987, mr.electric39.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Great thrash album!   Great thrash album! Icon_minitimeSat May 12, 2007 1:59 pm

that "Trial by Fire" is a killer song mrelectric.

Back to top Go down
mr.electric39
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

Number of posts : 1828

PostSubject: Re: Great thrash album!   Great thrash album! Icon_minitimeSat May 12, 2007 3:01 pm

Required Fields wrote:
The Legacy came out in 1987, mr.electric39.

That's right.... ! clumsy me !!

I saw 'em at a small club called 'The Stone' in San Francisco before I heard the album, went with a couple guys from 'Soldier'. my memory failed me on the year... scratch

INTO THE PIT !!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.whitethronereviews.blogspot.com
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

PostSubject: Re: Great thrash album!   Great thrash album! Icon_minitimeSat May 12, 2007 7:26 pm

Forever A Heath Bar wrote:
that "Trial by Fire" is a killer song mrelectric.

It is.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Great thrash album!   Great thrash album! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Great thrash album!
Page 1 of 1