Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Trivium

Go down 
+29
Todd Jaymz
DallasBlack
Orion Crystal Ice
tohostudios
exact33
Stender
SideShowDisaSter
Selvmord
ThrashedOutCobra33
MetalRob331
Fat Freddy
Chairman_Smith
TheGooch
juanmiguel
Thrasher73
Troublezone
ghost
arttieTHE1manparty
sovdat
Smindas
INVADERS
caniplaywithmadness?
mc666
KissinMaiden
ultmetal
romeolimagolf
Required Fields
MetalGuy71
scottmitchell74
33 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage

Trivium Empty
PostSubject: Trivium   Trivium Icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2007 4:25 pm

What is everyones thoughts on this band? They are interesting to me, but I'm not sold on them. I've heard people calling them the next coming of Metallica.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9047

Trivium Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trivium   Trivium Icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2007 4:31 pm

I think they are pretty good ( I have limited exposure to them, though)...they seem to be either detested or loved....I don't get the hate, they aren't that bad or derivative. I'm in a "wait and see" pattern with them so far, but what I've heard is prettty good so far...
Back to top Go down

Trivium Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trivium   Trivium Icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2007 4:49 pm

I don't mind 'em either, 'm not too fond of the earlier CDs but the latest one is a good enought effort, a bit of fresh air, sure they will probably get slated (even here), They are playing here in Ireland in a couple of weeks with Annihilator in tow so it should be a good night.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Trivium Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trivium   Trivium Icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2007 4:50 pm

The limited exposure I had to them prior to the release of "The Crusade" was a song or 2 I'd hear on satellite radio. "Good music, horrible screaming vocals". Pass.

Then a buddy of mine gave me a cdr of Crusade and said "Dude sounds like James Hetfield, check it out".

From what I've read, they've been given alot of flack from their hard-core fans for this change of vocal styles, claiming that they've sold out. I also read that they recently opened some shows for Maiden over in Europe and had bottles of piss thrown at them, being called posers. They seem to create alot of negativity. I'm not sure, but I think the lead singer comes off as a bit of a jack-ass in interviews.

I like "The Crusade". The music is heavy, the drummer is fantastic and the vocals DO sound like Hetfield, especially when he goes "Yea-ehh". I'm still not into their older releases with the bad vocals, but I like their new one. Time will tell if they've got what it takes.
Back to top Go down

Trivium Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trivium   Trivium Icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2007 5:42 pm

The first two albums are awesome musically. The vocals suck, less so on Ascendancy than on the debut. The Crusade is excellent, I think. Sure, those that hated them before will call them posers and sellouts now, but it really makes no sense. Matt Heafy was like 17-years-old when Trivium was signed. Is it a shock that they may have followed trends? Who doesn't at 17-years-old?

The Crusade is a great album. It's not old school, though. It's like old school metal, but from a new school perspective. Remember that. Those claiming this is the second coming of Metallica are stupid. Those claiming Metallica did this 20 years ago, thus blowing Trivium off, are also stupid. Judge it for yourself.

I will say this, their new bassist, Paolo Gregoletto, is awesome! And he wrote or co-wrote some of the coolest 80s metal-sounding tracks on the album! He was in a thrash band called Metal Militia before Trivium, so maybe he had a lot to do with the shift in vocal style? I said a long time ago that if Heafy just sang aggressively that Trivium would be pretty badass. Is it so hard to believe that someone else may have said this to Heafy and made him realize how true it was?

EDIT: Here are two tracks from Metal Militia:

METAL MILITIA - SIX STRING SUICIDE
METAL MILITIA - MACHINES OF WAR
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28455

Trivium Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trivium   Trivium Icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2007 6:03 pm

I only remember hearing one song from them, don't remember it that well. But I do believe part of the hate for them (apparently there is a massive thrash influence on their newest album, especially) does go to the way they started out.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan

Trivium Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trivium   Trivium Icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2007 6:30 pm

Required Fields wrote:
I only remember hearing one song from them, don't remember it that well. But I do believe part of the hate for them (apparently there is a massive thrash influence on their newest album, especially) does go to the way they started out.
Musically they have not changed, except for "Anthem" and "The Rising," which were written by the new bassist, and are more like 80s rock/metal than anything else. On the first two albums, people were blinded—so to speak—by the metalcore screams on their first two albums. So they called the band metalcore. Sure, that's fine, but musically there was no hardcore there, so how are they metalcore? Vocals can define a sound. Put a death metal vocalist on a power metal song and people will call it death metal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43Ck866mmm8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZTpPcj4Ka4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tX226Db63ZE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6_K2QUcPJY

Is that metalcore?

As for how they started—who cares? They formed, released a demo, and that got them a record deal. Sometimes it happens like that. Just because some other band has been around for ages and haven't gotten a deal means nothing. It's how the business has always worked. You gotta be in the right place at the right time. It's not like a 16-year-old Matt Heafy rolled up to Roadrunner Records Headquarters and gave record execs a million dollars and a blowjob each.
Back to top Go down
romeolimagolf
Metal student
Metal student
romeolimagolf

Number of posts : 204

Trivium Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trivium   Trivium Icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2007 7:29 pm

I agree that musically they are good, but the vocals continue to ruin this band for me. The vocals suck, IMO.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

Trivium Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trivium   Trivium Icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2007 7:58 pm

Don't really care for them. They bore me.

Trivium Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trivium   Trivium Icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2007 8:21 pm

romeolimagolf wrote:
I agree that musically they are good, but the vocals continue to ruin this band for me. The vocals suck, IMO.
Even now? People continue to say that, they say Heafy's vocals still suck. I don't get it.
Back to top Go down

Trivium Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trivium   Trivium Icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2007 8:25 pm

Blech. One of my most hated bands. Yet to hear a single thing that interests me from this band (including the whole new album).

This video remains the only thing I enjoy about this band.

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNLDLyeepVs
Back to top Go down
romeolimagolf
Metal student
Metal student
romeolimagolf

Number of posts : 204

Trivium Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trivium   Trivium Icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2007 8:28 pm

Eyesore wrote:
romeolimagolf wrote:
Even now? People continue to say that, they say Heafy's vocals still suck. I don't get it.

Sorry, I just can't get into his voice. It sound like power/thrash metal musically with mallcore-ish/nu-metal-ish vocals. It just doesn't sound right to my ears.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Trivium Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trivium   Trivium Icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2007 8:42 pm

I really hated the vocals on their second CD. Our bassist (brontotex)
likes them quite a bit. Those emo vocals are just terrible. The new CD
is an improvement, but I still don't get the hype. I get halfway
through the CD and I am ready for it to be over. Just not my thing I
guess.

Metal master
Metal master
KissinMaiden

Number of posts : 688

Trivium Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trivium   Trivium Icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2007 9:14 pm

i just got the cd by mail through one of those columbia house deals, you know. Will give it a spin later tonight or sometime this weekend.
Back to top Go down

Trivium Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trivium   Trivium Icon_minitimeFri Mar 09, 2007 1:17 pm

nu metal crap! i can't believe that these people are breathing my air! this is the type of bands that not only give metal a bad name they continue to give music in general a bad name!!
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

Trivium Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trivium   Trivium Icon_minitimeFri Mar 09, 2007 1:32 pm

i don't like the vocals either. that can make or break a band with me.

ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Trivium Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trivium   Trivium Icon_minitimeFri Mar 09, 2007 1:35 pm

Quote :
i can't believe that these people are breathing my air!

LOL! Ok, so I take it you don't like Trivium? Razz

Trivium Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trivium   Trivium Icon_minitimeFri Mar 09, 2007 1:51 pm

the mad butcher wrote:
nu metal crap! i can't believe that these people are breathing my air! this is the type of bands that not only give metal a bad name they continue to give music in general a bad name!!

hardly nu-metal.
Back to top Go down

Trivium Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trivium   Trivium Icon_minitimeFri Mar 09, 2007 1:53 pm

I like the Crusade vocals quite a bit, but before that album... eeech. I might try picking up a cheap copy of the album or maybe borrow it from someone so I can check the entire thing out instead of just the few songs I can find online.
Back to top Go down
caniplaywithmadness?
Metal master
Metal master
caniplaywithmadness?

Number of posts : 515

Trivium Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trivium   Trivium Icon_minitimeFri Mar 09, 2007 3:42 pm

i got the new trivium cd for free as a cdr copy and to be honest i quite like it. i hated this band with a passion when they were a emo/screamo/extremo band but i think their new album is the best metallica album metallica never recorded. songs like detonation and the crusade are great. and to be honest, i don't think metallica have released an album this good since 1991
Back to top Go down
INVADERS
Metal master
Metal master
INVADERS

Number of posts : 937

Trivium Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trivium   Trivium Icon_minitimeFri Mar 09, 2007 7:32 pm

they're not that bad...

the new album isn't that bad... just give is a chance

i know that most of the stuff on the is metallica / megadeth / annihilator rip-off but at least is better than the nu-metall smurf poo that is koRn and disturbed and smurf poo like that...

i'd rather listen to a band trying to be " thrash" metal than some crap who can't play a decent solo...

i'll stand up for them any day....
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Trivium Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trivium   Trivium Icon_minitimeFri Mar 09, 2007 9:13 pm

what is this "smurf poo" people keep talking about? what kindergardener did you guys hear that term from?

ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Trivium Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trivium   Trivium Icon_minitimeFri Mar 09, 2007 9:37 pm

LOL! There is a cuss filter on the board. Anytime anyone uses the word S H I T, the filter puts in smurf poo.

Trivium Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trivium   Trivium Icon_minitimeFri Mar 09, 2007 11:41 pm

Next coming of Metallica? HA! They have yet to prove themselves as that good... they've released one thrash album, The Crusade. I do like their new sound though.
and I can't stop laughing about the cuss filter.... lol! jeez thats funny!
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Trivium Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trivium   Trivium Icon_minitimeSat Mar 10, 2007 12:13 am

ultmetal wrote:
LOL! There is a cuss filter on the board. Anytime anyone uses the word S H I T, the filter puts in smurf poo.
lol that's hillarious Laughing very hard

Sponsored content

Trivium Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trivium   Trivium Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Trivium
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next