Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

New Trivium: In waves

Go down 
+13
Joe
mc666
Stender
metalhead777
Eyesore
exact33
tohostudios
DallasBlack
chewie
ultmetal
MetalGuy71
The_Jayroh
Gilbert
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

New Trivium: In waves Empty
PostSubject: New Trivium: In waves   New Trivium: In waves Icon_minitimeTue Aug 30, 2011 1:18 am

Oh my God, i never thought Trivium would deliver a metal monster such as this one.

Can't stop playing it. It's fantastic.

Anyone got it? Opinions?
Back to top Go down
The_Jayroh
Metal master
Metal master
The_Jayroh

Number of posts : 823

PostSubject: Re: New Trivium: In waves   New Trivium: In waves Icon_minitimeTue Aug 30, 2011 2:17 am

I kind of wrote them off for the longest time as okish even after seeing them live, so I have yet to listen to anything by them for a loong time.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1009170115&sk=info
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: New Trivium: In waves   New Trivium: In waves Icon_minitimeTue Aug 30, 2011 9:32 am

I like The Crusade, but the few tracks I heard on their follow-up Shogun did nothing for me and I moved on. Haven't heard anything from the new one.

Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: New Trivium: In waves   New Trivium: In waves Icon_minitimeTue Aug 30, 2011 10:19 am

I had The Crusade. It was ok, but I ended up trading it.

Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: New Trivium: In waves   New Trivium: In waves Icon_minitimeTue Aug 30, 2011 10:31 am

I liked what they did on The Crusade, but didn't like Shogun. I ended up selling Shogun to Dimple Records.

What direction does the new one go in?
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: New Trivium: In waves   New Trivium: In waves Icon_minitimeTue Aug 30, 2011 4:55 pm

Crusade was great the first time I heard it but after repeated listens fell flat. After that I didn't bother checking out the follow up.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: New Trivium: In waves   New Trivium: In waves Icon_minitimeTue Aug 30, 2011 5:50 pm

Like the others have said I have The Crusade and think it's OK but it didn't impress me enough to bother with the followup. Guess I need to check out this new one.

The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: New Trivium: In waves   New Trivium: In waves Icon_minitimeTue Aug 30, 2011 6:45 pm

i have never owned a Trivium cd. Ill check this one out.

Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: New Trivium: In waves   New Trivium: In waves Icon_minitimeTue Aug 30, 2011 7:19 pm

I still love The Crusade. I thought Heafy's vocals were really good on that one, and the more classic metal/rock kind of tunes were great.

They're a fantastic band musically, but aside from on The Crusade, the vocals tend to sound really really strained to me.
Back to top Go down
metalhead777
Metal master
Metal master
metalhead777

Number of posts : 842

PostSubject: Re: New Trivium: In waves   New Trivium: In waves Icon_minitimeTue Aug 30, 2011 9:43 pm

The Crusade was ok,Shogun was terrible but In Waves is below crap.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: New Trivium: In waves   New Trivium: In waves Icon_minitimeTue Aug 30, 2011 9:53 pm

Now that's absurd. It's so trendy to hate this band, eh?
Back to top Go down
metalhead777
Metal master
Metal master
metalhead777

Number of posts : 842

PostSubject: Re: New Trivium: In waves   New Trivium: In waves Icon_minitimeTue Aug 30, 2011 10:33 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Now that's absurd. It's so trendy to hate this band, eh?
No,I'v either bought or been lent every one of their albums since whatever the one before the crusade was. I never thought of it as anything more than glorified metalcore no matter how many times I listened.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: New Trivium: In waves   New Trivium: In waves Icon_minitimeTue Aug 30, 2011 11:06 pm

There is no way Trivium has ever been metalcore. The only reason people say that is because "metalcore" is pretty much looked at as an insult, much like the term "nu-metal."

Trivium are a heavy metal band.
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: New Trivium: In waves   New Trivium: In waves Icon_minitimeTue Aug 30, 2011 11:56 pm

Eyesore wrote:
There is no way Trivium has ever been metalcore. The only reason people say that is because "metalcore" is pretty much looked at as an insult, much like the term "nu-metal."

I dont agree at all. Ive only heard ascendency, but thats a total metalcore album. I cant give an opinion on the other albums, but heavy metal dosnt even cross my mind when listening to that one album.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: New Trivium: In waves   New Trivium: In waves Icon_minitimeWed Aug 31, 2011 12:10 am

Stender wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

I dont agree at all. Ive only heard ascendency, but thats a total metalcore album. I cant give an opinion on the other albums, but heavy metal dosnt even cross my mind when listening to that one album.
How is that a metalcore album?
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

PostSubject: Re: New Trivium: In waves   New Trivium: In waves Icon_minitimeWed Aug 31, 2011 12:33 am

Eyesore wrote:
Stender wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

How is this heavy metal?

Everything about the vocals and guitarwork is your typical metalcore fare, weenie clean vocal choruses.. bulldog barking verses, 'breakdowns', etc. The only thing that sets Trivium apart from most other metalcore bands that are insanely popular with kids my age, is that the guitarists are both obviously talented and are influenced by classic metal bands im sure. You can tell in some of the solos. That dosnt make them a heavy metal band though.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: New Trivium: In waves   New Trivium: In waves Icon_minitimeWed Aug 31, 2011 12:51 am

metalcore is heavy metal. it's also equally hardcore. that said, i don't own any Trivium. what i've heard doesn't sound bad though.

Joe
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Joe

Number of posts : 1862

PostSubject: Re: New Trivium: In waves   New Trivium: In waves Icon_minitimeWed Aug 31, 2011 1:02 am

So what direction are they going with the new one? I have THE CRUSADE, but that's it. I don't mind metalcore vocals, but judging by the song posted, I'm not sure if I like Heafy's metalcore vocals.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: New Trivium: In waves   New Trivium: In waves Icon_minitimeWed Aug 31, 2011 1:07 am

Stender wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Stender wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

How is this heavy metal?

Everything about the vocals and guitarwork is your typical metalcore fare, weenie clean vocal choruses.. bulldog barking verses, 'breakdowns', etc. The only thing that sets Trivium apart from most other metalcore bands that are insanely popular with kids my age, is that the guitarists are both obviously talented and are influenced by classic metal bands im sure. You can tell in some of the solos. That dosnt make them a heavy metal band though.
And I can find every single one of those things in bands you would label "heavy metal."

Bulldog barking vocals? Check. Breakdowns? Check. Not metalcore? They have more in common with hardcore than anything Trivium has done. Or is it just the clean vocals that make Trivium metalcore?

People call Trivium metalcore because A) it's a derogatory term for many, B) they came out after 1993, and C) they're popular.

Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

PostSubject: Re: New Trivium: In waves   New Trivium: In waves Icon_minitimeWed Aug 31, 2011 1:49 am

Im not going to argue with you, but Toxic holocaust (your example) has nothing in common with how I described metalcore. Theres no clean vocals...the riffs just progress or change, its not a breakdown unless your strumming on the E string for like 80 measures in a boring staccato fashion before going back into the song which Trivium does (or did) all the time. Toxic's vocals are influenced by Venom, the cadence is totally different..and even though cronos sounds like he's singing a completely different song half the time, I can still make out the words. They are different sounds man, I dont see how you can draw a comparison like that.

I dont call Trivium metalcore because I think metalcore is a derogatory term that applies to them, I like alot of early metalcore or whats now called 'hardcore'....Earth crisis, Gehennah, mid era Zao, etc. I have no problem with "metalcore"...I just really really dont like Trivium and I think its confusing to just call them generically a 'heavy metal' band. For the record, I dont call Toxic a heavy metal band either...they are a thrash metal band..if I called them a heavy metal band to someone curious of their sound that never heard em before they could just think they were similar to sabbath or priest or something.

All im saying is subgenres are important and by saying Trivium is a metalcore band, obviously that means they sound like a subgenre of heavy metal and that dosnt demean them in any way in my mind because im well aware that there are bands labled as metalcore that sound good to me.

Last edited by Stender on Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:09 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: New Trivium: In waves   New Trivium: In waves Icon_minitimeWed Aug 31, 2011 2:45 am

I too would probably label early Trivium as metalcore, simply because of the way they do harsh vocals (and I guess the way they do breakdowns sometimes filters in to it). I don't think the Toxic Holocaust vocals sound anything like Trivium's - it's that sort of inward breathing yell of Trivium's that links them to metalcore. I don't think it's meant as a derogatory term in most cases, I think it's genuinely quite factual.

Trivium are a band I've always found hit and miss. I think they have some fantastic moments, but I really can't overlook the vocals. They sound alright when clean (the style on The Crusade worked well), but those screams just don't sit well with me. I'm not entirely sure why.

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: New Trivium: In waves   New Trivium: In waves Icon_minitimeWed Aug 31, 2011 7:18 am

Fact: Trivium came out of the Metalcore scene with Ember To Inferno on Lifeforce Records (a German Metalcore/Hardcore label) in 2003. They had ALL the elements of waht was considered a Metalcore band in 2003 when they appeared. They are obviously influenced by what we would call Classic Metal (like a lot of Metalcore bands are), but it doesn't change what they are. But I'm sure, if the band was asked, they consider themselves "Metal".

Metalcore is like any other genre tag...AOR, Grunge, Alternative...it grows to encompass more than originally intended.

I saw them live in 2008 and they were good...saw them live again in July and they bored me. Not really my kind of band.

The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: New Trivium: In waves   New Trivium: In waves Icon_minitimeWed Aug 31, 2011 8:26 am

i dont care for the vocals all the much.

MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: New Trivium: In waves   New Trivium: In waves Icon_minitimeWed Aug 31, 2011 10:07 am

The lead singer toned down some of the harsher screamy stuff on The Crusade and sounds a little like James Hetfield on some tunes. That's what appealed to me on that album. And the intrumental song 'The Crusade' is killer. Reminds me of old school Metallica when they used to do cool instrumentals.

But from what I gathered in reviews and articles, they took allot of flack from older fans that thought they "sold out" and tried to go more mainstream by ditching some of the metalcore elements that they were known for. I couldn't say if this is accurate or not. I don't know the band well enough. But I think the criticism they received for that album made them go back to the clean/harsh vocals and bring back some metalcore elelments on Shogun. Again, whether that's true or not, I'm not sure. Never heard Shogun except for a song or 2 and I didn't care for them. I've since lost interest, but if the new album sounds good to me, I'd buy it.

The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: New Trivium: In waves   New Trivium: In waves Icon_minitimeWed Aug 31, 2011 7:41 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
The lead singer toned down some of the harsher screamy stuff on The Crusade and sounds a little like James Hetfield on some tunes. That's what appealed to me on that album. And the intrumental song 'The Crusade' is killer. Reminds me of old school Metallica when they used to do cool instrumentals.

But from what I gathered in reviews and articles, they took allot of flack from older fans that thought they "sold out" and tried to go more mainstream by ditching some of the metalcore elements that they were known for. I couldn't say if this is accurate or not. I don't know the band well enough. But I think the criticism they received for that album made them go back to the clean/harsh vocals and bring back some metalcore elelments on Shogun. Again, whether that's true or not, I'm not sure. Never heard Shogun except for a song or 2 and I didn't care for them. I've since lost interest, but if the new album sounds good to me, I'd buy it.

I think the vocals are shouted. It doesnt move me much..

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Trivium: In waves   New Trivium: In waves Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Trivium: In waves
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next