Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Iron Maiden-Piece of Mind

Go down 
+15
the sentinel
MoonChild
candlemass
DallasBlack
thejokeriv
scottmitchell74
James B.
TheGooch
ghost
mr.electric39
Smindas
MetalRob331
EvyMetal
UltraMagnus007
Thrasher73
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

Iron Maiden-Piece of Mind Empty
PostSubject: Iron Maiden-Piece of Mind   Iron Maiden-Piece of Mind Icon_minitimeSun Mar 23, 2008 12:16 pm

I was listening to theis album the other day, and I gotta say it is a really good album. I mean, most boards I go to usually don't mention this album, but will mention others. I think this album is under-rated. It deserves more respect. Now, I'm not pointing no fingers at anyone. I just don't see many people ever talk about Piece of Mind. Where Eagles Dare, Revelations, Flight of Icarus, Die with your boots on, the trooper, still life, quest of fire, sun and steel, to tame a land. It's a great album all the way through.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden-Piece of Mind   Iron Maiden-Piece of Mind Icon_minitimeSun Mar 23, 2008 8:40 pm

Piece of Mind is beyond amazing. I think it's the album where they finally found their sound. I mean, NOTB is an incredible album, but POM is where they developed that epic, technical, artistic, fantasy sound.

I love the solo in Where Eagles Dare. The chorus in Sun and Steel is awesome, too.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden-Piece of Mind   Iron Maiden-Piece of Mind Icon_minitimeSun Mar 23, 2008 9:25 pm

I agree with you.This is my favorite Maiden album.Still life is the best song they've written IMO.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden-Piece of Mind   Iron Maiden-Piece of Mind Icon_minitimeMon Mar 24, 2008 5:01 am

Piece of mind was the first album I bought by Iron Maiden, so it is a big thing for me. It started my journey to become a ed-head. NOTB wishes it could be as great as POM. I mean, to me it is one of greatest, because it was the beggining of them exploring new levels
Back to top Go down
UltraMagnus007
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
UltraMagnus007

Number of posts : 282

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden-Piece of Mind   Iron Maiden-Piece of Mind Icon_minitimeMon Mar 24, 2008 6:12 am

I totally agree, this album is awesome. I am a complete Iron Maiden fanatic and I have to say Piece of Mind and Seventh son are my favourite albums. Revelations is my favourite Iron maiden song.

Not only was this where Iron Maiden really found their feet in terms of the style of music it was also the start of the classic era with Bruce, Nicko, Adrian, Steve and Dave. Which ended with Seventh son.
Back to top Go down
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden-Piece of Mind   Iron Maiden-Piece of Mind Icon_minitimeTue Mar 25, 2008 1:53 am

I just bought this today!
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden-Piece of Mind   Iron Maiden-Piece of Mind Icon_minitimeTue Mar 25, 2008 3:01 am

IMO the best Maiden album hands down. This whole cd is a freaking Greatest Hits. Revelations is amazing and my fav Maiden song.
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden-Piece of Mind   Iron Maiden-Piece of Mind Icon_minitimeTue Mar 25, 2008 9:57 am

Piece of Mind definitely deserves more love. I picked it up back in December, and I was surprised how strong an album it was. Brilliantly written and a great continuation from Number of the Beast.

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden-Piece of Mind   Iron Maiden-Piece of Mind Icon_minitimeTue Mar 25, 2008 5:21 pm

Smindas wrote:
Piece of Mind definitely deserves more love. I picked it up back in December, and I was surprised how strong an album it was. Brilliantly written and a great continuation from Number of the Beast.

You're right about the writing; lyrically, it's a very stimulating album. It's funny how, because of certain aspects of the band (e.g. artwork, early album/song titles, imagery, etc), Iron Maiden are typecasted by the non-metal public as stereotypical heavy metal (i.e. insipid, unintelligent, and degrading), when they are actually one of the most artistic and intelligent groups in metal history. Some people.....
Back to top Go down
mr.electric39
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

Number of posts : 1828

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden-Piece of Mind   Iron Maiden-Piece of Mind Icon_minitimeTue Mar 25, 2008 5:33 pm

Well I bought it when it first came out in 1983 and it holds up incredibly well. 'Where Eagles Dare' is a gem right outofa 'riff a matic'.... brilliant stuff.

It's too bad 'Flight of Icarus' hasn't been given more praise. The way that song reaches a peak is fabulous. Great soloing by Davey and H. The live version on "Live After Death" is a bit faster.

"Boots", "Tame", "Revelations" are all gems.....

Do I have to gloat about 'The Trooper'?

definatley a top five of Maiden discs for sure....
Back to top Go down
http://www.whitethronereviews.blogspot.com
ghost
Metal master
Metal master
ghost

Number of posts : 814

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden-Piece of Mind   Iron Maiden-Piece of Mind Icon_minitimeWed Mar 26, 2008 6:58 am

It has always been one of my favorite Maiden albums. 'Flight of Icarus' is incredible.
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden-Piece of Mind   Iron Maiden-Piece of Mind Icon_minitimeWed Mar 26, 2008 11:51 am

get_the_firehouse wrote:
Smindas wrote:

You're right about the writing; lyrically, it's a very stimulating album. It's funny how, because of certain aspects of the band (e.g. artwork, early album/song titles, imagery, etc), Iron Maiden are typecasted by the non-metal public as stereotypical heavy metal (i.e. insipid, unintelligent, and degrading), when they are actually one of the most artistic and intelligent groups in metal history. Some people.....
Definitely, although "Quest For Fire" is a bit weak lyrically, IMO. The rest is great though. So many great vocal melodies and hooks, too.

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden-Piece of Mind   Iron Maiden-Piece of Mind Icon_minitimeWed Mar 26, 2008 2:49 pm

Smindas wrote:
get_the_firehouse wrote:
Smindas wrote:

Definitely, although "Quest For Fire" is a bit weak lyrically, IMO. The rest is great though. So many great vocal melodies and hooks, too.

Yeah, Quest For Fire is a little odd when weighed against the rest of the album. While I actually love the song, it comes off as almost humourous (in a DragonForce kinda way). I love when Dickinson makes those odd screams several times throughout: "When the land was swamp and caves WERE HOME!"
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden-Piece of Mind   Iron Maiden-Piece of Mind Icon_minitimeThu Mar 27, 2008 5:54 am

ana awesome album except for the two filler tracks
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden-Piece of Mind   Iron Maiden-Piece of Mind Icon_minitimeThu Mar 27, 2008 11:51 am

get_the_firehouse wrote:
Smindas wrote:
get_the_firehouse wrote:
Smindas wrote:

Yeah, Quest For Fire is a little odd when weighed against the rest of the album. While I actually love the song, it comes off as almost humourous (in a DragonForce kinda way). I love when Dickinson makes those odd screams several times throughout: "When the land was swamp and caves WERE HOME!"
Yeah, the lyrics are cheesy. But I completely agree, those high pitch screams are amazing - they work really well. Also, I feel "Sun and Steel" is a song that doesn't get enough love.

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden-Piece of Mind   Iron Maiden-Piece of Mind Icon_minitimeThu Mar 27, 2008 5:38 pm

A great album but my fave is Somewhere In Time.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden-Piece of Mind   Iron Maiden-Piece of Mind Icon_minitimeThu Mar 27, 2008 6:03 pm

This is how I would put my top five list on Maiden albums:

1. Somewhere in Time
2. Powerslave
3. Seventh Son Of A Seventhy Son
4. Piece Of Mind
5. The Number of The Beast
Back to top Go down
mr.electric39
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

Number of posts : 1828

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden-Piece of Mind   Iron Maiden-Piece of Mind Icon_minitimeSat Mar 29, 2008 8:07 pm

Smindas wrote:
get_the_firehouse wrote:
Smindas wrote:

You might not realize this but the song 'Quest For Fire' was originally written as an instrumental. I believe in the studio they decided to add the lyrics. The movie it was based on has no dialog. there's some cheap trivia for ya....

Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.whitethronereviews.blogspot.com

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden-Piece of Mind   Iron Maiden-Piece of Mind Icon_minitimeSun Mar 30, 2008 8:25 am

mr.electric39 wrote:

You might not realize this but the song 'Quest For Fire' was originally written as an instrumental. I believe in the studio they decided to add the lyrics. The movie it was based on has no dialog. there's some cheap trivia for ya....

I never knew that. You..like..know everything there is to know about this band. I hereby worship you. humble
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden-Piece of Mind   Iron Maiden-Piece of Mind Icon_minitimeSun Mar 30, 2008 4:44 pm

mr.electric39 wrote:
Smindas wrote:
get_the_firehouse wrote:
Smindas wrote:

Happy

I'd love to get a bootleg of any instrumental they have recorded. I'd love to hear an instrumental version of "Aces High" with double-bass. That'd rock.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden-Piece of Mind   Iron Maiden-Piece of Mind Icon_minitimeSun Mar 30, 2008 6:54 pm

I am a big Clive fan, so it was a bummer finding out he'd been canned. I was already familar with Nicko's work in the Pat Travers Band, but was curious to see how he'd work with Maiden. When they came to my hometown on San Berdoo, Calif. this tour in July of 83'.... with Fastway and Saxon, I got backstage cause my friends older brother was on the Maiden crew. My butt was literaly standing behind him while he played all night long. He has very fast feet and is pretty much an octapus that plays everything on his kit quite a bit. Needless to say....kllla show that night to go along with a great lp.

Laterz
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden-Piece of Mind   Iron Maiden-Piece of Mind Icon_minitimeSun Mar 30, 2008 7:35 pm

POM is in that first 5 album run for Maiden that for me is the best in Metal History (to me....I repeat...to me).
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden-Piece of Mind   Iron Maiden-Piece of Mind Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2008 10:31 am

My favorite Maiden album - all killer no filler!
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden-Piece of Mind   Iron Maiden-Piece of Mind Icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2008 4:49 pm

Still Life is one of my favorite Maiden songs but the rest are great too, def. a classic in every way.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden-Piece of Mind   Iron Maiden-Piece of Mind Icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2008 10:32 pm

Short story:

I was watching my mom's garage sale one summer day. As soon as I got enough sales, I bolted and RAN downtown (I only lived about 3/4 of a mile from DT MPLS) to Northern Lights. I purchased Piece of Mind and sm*rf of the Switch and RAN back home. When I got there, my mom had beaten me home. Needless to say, she was slightly upset. She saw a bulge in my back pocket and confiscated the AC/DC. She did not know that I had crotched the Maiden, so I went to my bedroom and cranked it! Man, I was a crappy kid. But if you're gonna die, die with your boots on, I always say.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Iron Maiden-Piece of Mind   Iron Maiden-Piece of Mind Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Iron Maiden-Piece of Mind
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: The Hurting Words-
Jump to: