Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Misfits!

Go down 
+9
A Handful of Wayne
spiritoradio
MetalGuy71
TrogDawn
White_Mage
Fat Freddy
DeathCult
MetalRob331
mc666
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

Misfits! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Misfits!   Misfits! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 26, 2010 1:54 pm

American Psycho is the best Misfits album.

Yeah, I said it.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37645

Misfits! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Misfits!   Misfits! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 01, 2010 2:29 pm

Eyesore wrote:

Yeah, I said it.

Though I have a soft spot in my heart/head for the Danzig stuff, I'm inclined to agree with you. At least, I listen to AMERICAN PSYCHO a lot more often nowadays than the Danzig era 'fits. I think I more or less burned myself out on the older material when I first got into the Misfits in the late '80s.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Misfits! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Misfits!   Misfits! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 01, 2010 3:26 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

Yeah, I said it.

Though I have a soft spot in my heart/head for the Danzig stuff, I'm inclined to agree with you. At least, I listen to AMERICAN PSYCHO a lot more often nowadays than the Danzig era 'fits. I think I more or less burned myself out on the older material when I first got into the Misfits in the late '80s.
Plus it's really hard to look past how crappy those old albums sound. I mean, they really are some of the worst-sounding albums of that era.

They are great, though.
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

Misfits! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Misfits!   Misfits! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 01, 2010 4:51 pm

I like the bad sound though. I think thats what makes those older releases great. I dont think they would be as good with todays production it would be too polished. American Psycho is a good one.

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

Misfits! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Misfits!   Misfits! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2012 3:19 pm

The Misfits discography is confusing as hell. The "collection" albums seem to be re-recorded versions of songs recorded in the 70s but not released? The "Walk Among Us" album is the first one released, but the 3rd one recorded?

I only care about the Danzig-era, so help a brother out. Are the 2 "collection" albums pretty standard as far as covering that era well?

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Misfits! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Misfits!   Misfits! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2012 3:29 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
The Misfits discography is confusing as hell. The "collection" albums seem to be re-recorded versions of songs recorded in the 70s but not released? The "Walk Among Us" album is the first one released, but the 3rd one recorded?

I only care about the Danzig-era, so help a brother out. Are the 2 "collection" albums pretty standard as far as covering that era well?

I'd say the two "Collections" would be a nice starting point. I used to have a bunch of the Danzig era Misfits on cassette years back (Legacy of Brutality, Earth AD, etc.) but at the moment the only CDs of that stuff I own are the two Collection discs. Now that I think about it, I don't think Legacy of Brutality is an actual "album" either, but a compilation of stuff from their early singles/EPs, etc...and supposedly, Glenn Danzig tinkered with the tracks on that and overdubbed a lot of the instrumental parts himself in order to screw the other guys out of getting any royalties. (or so the story goes anyway...)

The Misfits' recording history is a twisted maze. If memory serves (and keep in mind that I'm no expert), "Static Age" was indeed the "first" full length album that they recorded, but it got hung up in legal wrangling so it wasn't officially released in its entirety till the late 1990s. Even so, some of the songs from it wound up on early singles and EPs in other countries years earlier. So yeah, "Walk Among Us" was their first full-length album release, but they already had a bunch of stuff out prior to that.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat

Last edited by Fat Freddy on Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:44 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Misfits! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Misfits!   Misfits! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2012 3:32 pm

So these 2?

Misfits! - Page 2 51VKHgSLD3L._SL500_AA300_

Misfits! - Page 2 51M4byTQ%2BFL._SL500_AA300_

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Misfits! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Misfits!   Misfits! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2012 3:34 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
So these 2?

Yep, them's the two I got. I've been meaning to go back and pick up some of the other oldies on CD for years but have never gotten around to 'em....

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Misfits! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Misfits!   Misfits! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2012 3:39 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
So these 2?

Yep, them's the two I got. I've been meaning to go back and pick up some of the other oldies on CD for years but have never gotten around to 'em....

Those are the only 2 I have as well and they serve me just fine. I'd say they cover the Danzig-era pretty well.

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Misfits! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Misfits!   Misfits! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2012 3:49 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
So these 2?

Those are the only 2 I have as well and they serve me just fine. I'd say they cover the Danzig-era pretty well.

I guess with 40 songs between them, they'll probably do the trick. Thanks!

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Misfits! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Misfits!   Misfits! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2012 5:34 pm

I always tell people to not ignore American Psycho. It doesn't have Danzig, but it is without a doubt (in my mind) the best Misfits album.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

Misfits! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Misfits!   Misfits! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2012 5:55 pm

Eyesore wrote:
I always tell people to not ignore American Psycho. It doesn't have Danzig, but it is without a doubt (in my mind) the best Misfits album.

That was actually my first Misfits album. I heard it and I thought, "Damn, this sounds like The Ramones doing horror lyrics!". It's probably lucky for me this was my first because I don't like Danzig and would have been prejudiced against the band just because he was in it. I later dug into the original lineup and discovered I could like something Danzig did.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Misfits! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Misfits!   Misfits! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2012 7:18 pm

I dig both eras (Danzig and Graves) but for a long while I listened to the Graves stuff more often, simply cuz I'd burned myself out on the Danzig era years before and it was nice to have something "new" from them.

This reminds me that I still haven't heard the new Devil's Rain album -- anybody got that one? Thoughts? I was gun shy about it cuz the previous disc with Jerry singing (Project 1950) was godawful.

Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Misfits! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Misfits!   Misfits! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2012 7:23 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
I dig both eras (Danzig and Graves) but for a long while I listened to the Graves stuff more often, simply cuz I'd burned myself out on the Danzig era years before and it was nice to have something "new" from them.

This reminds me that I still haven't heard the new Devil's Rain album -- anybody got that one? Thoughts? I was gun shy about it cuz the previous disc with Jerry singing (Project 1950) was godawful.
Devil's Rain is okay, not amazing. Probably more similar in style to the Danzig-era than Graves-era, but it's also got some weird tracks, nothing like either era.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Misfits! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Misfits!   Misfits! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 21, 2012 2:02 pm

Dang you Shawn -- your bumping of this thread got me on a Misfits kick again; been listening to my "Collection" discs a whole bunch this week and I just dropped some coin at GoHastings.com for used copies of Walk Among Us and Legacy of Brutality. Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Misfits! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Misfits!   Misfits! - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Misfits!
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2