Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Darkness

Go down 
+13
White_Mage
T-Roy
caniplaywithmadness?
DallasBlack
MetalGuy71
TheGooch
Thrasher73
ultmetal
Smindas
Fat Freddy
thejokeriv
Shiney
TrogDawn
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
TrogDawn
Janitor of the Void
TrogDawn

Number of posts : 3361

The Darkness Empty
PostSubject: The Darkness   The Darkness Icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2008 7:57 pm

I know they've been around for a few years now, and when I first saw their first video in 2003, I dismissed them as goofball-posers. impatient

But I got to hear their debut and some of their other stuff just last week for the first time and I am totally digging them! What a Face

I remember a lot of people were hailing them as "the return of 80's metal" but I don't hear them that way at all. In fact they sound more to me like a perfect cross between Queen, Thin Lizzy, Cheap Trick, AC/DC and Sweet! (in other words, not "80's" at all, but TOTAL 70's worship! The Darkness 604261)

Damn! This is good stuff! Any other fans? The Darkness 309780

The Darkness Darkness-the-photo-the-darkness-6226775

Last edited by on Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://bandcamp.com/stonegrooverecords/following
Shiney
Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

Number of posts : 3487

The Darkness Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Darkness   The Darkness Icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2008 8:04 pm

Totally agree....I've loved them since "Permission" came out....lots of folks just didn't get the tongue-in-cheekness.

Janitor of the Void
TrogDawn

The Darkness Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Darkness   The Darkness Icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2008 8:06 pm

Shiney wrote:
Totally agree....I've loved them since "Permission" came out....lots of folks just didn't get the tongue-in-cheekness.
Yeah, and I'm sure Justin Hawkins' falsetto stylings put many people off at first blush too. I can't seem to get enough of it right now though! The Darkness 309780
Back to top Go down
Shiney
Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

Number of posts : 3487

The Darkness Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Darkness   The Darkness Icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2008 8:09 pm

Did you get their follow up? It's pretty good too....a lot bolder in the 70's influences..almost proggy in spots.

The Darkness Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Darkness   The Darkness Icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2008 8:19 pm

Man, I tried and tried to dig this band, but the Muppet vocals just killed it for me. The music was great, and even the mid-range singing was great, but the high-pitched crap was terrible. I've thought about trying them again, because I see their CDs and singles with the non-LP stuff for cheap all the time, but I haven't tried yet. I actually may still own one of their albums.

I actually have wondered if I wrote them off because sooooo many idiots jumped on the bandwagon. That could have made it seem too much like parody to me.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

The Darkness Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Darkness   The Darkness Icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2008 9:12 pm

I like the Darkness alot - too bad Justin Hawkins did too much herione and killed the band.

Permission To Land seemed very AC/DC, Early 80's Metal influenced. I used to listen to it all the time. My ring tone on my cell phone for home/wife's cell is I Believe In A thing Called Love

One way ticket seemed very 70's influenced, they wanted to be Queen on some of the songs (they even used the producer of Bohemian Raposody and recorded parts of the album in the same studio. I thought it was a solid, second effort.

Too bad they are done. The rest of the band did form a new band call the stone gods - website with sample of a song:

http://www.stonegods.co.uk/stonegods.php
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37644

The Darkness Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Darkness   The Darkness Icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2008 9:28 pm

The first thing I thought when I first heard/saw The Darkness was "Did Spinal Tap make a new record?"
I remember seeing the "I Believe in a Thing Called Love" video on VH1 for the first time and thinking "if these guys are supposed to be a spoof, then it's a very well done spoof. If they're supposed to be a serious band, then they gotta get the hell outta here..."

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

The Darkness Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Darkness   The Darkness Icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2008 10:04 pm

Now see, that Stone Gods stuff sounds excellent! Hell yeah. Have they put anything out yet?
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

The Darkness Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Darkness   The Darkness Icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2008 11:35 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Now see, that Stone Gods stuff sounds excellent! Hell yeah. Have they put anything out yet?

Nothing other than the song sample - I'll probably pick it up whne it comes out, sounds pretty good
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

The Darkness Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Darkness   The Darkness Icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2008 6:18 am

I love The Darkness, fantastic band. They were pretty big here in Blighty for a bit around the time of their debut.

Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

The Darkness Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Darkness   The Darkness Icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2008 8:22 am

I have their first album, was their second as good?

Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

The Darkness Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Darkness   The Darkness Icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2008 8:45 am

I like them.Permission to Land is a great disc.I dig the throwback to the 70's and 80's.Whether its tongue in cheek or not I like it
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

The Darkness Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Darkness   The Darkness Icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2008 9:40 am

i used to be a huge fan they just play good ole cock rock on the debut but then their second album bombed (with good reason) and they split up. i saw them live though in their heyday
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

The Darkness Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Darkness   The Darkness Icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2008 9:58 am

Eyesore wrote:
Man, I tried and tried to dig this band, but the Muppet vocals just killed it for me. The music was great, and even the mid-range singing was great, but the high-pitched crap was terrible. I've thought about trying them again, because I see their CDs and singles with the non-LP stuff for cheap all the time, but I haven't tried yet. I actually may still own one of their albums.

I actually have wondered if I wrote them off because sooooo many idiots jumped on the bandwagon. That could have made it seem too much like parody to me.

That pretty much sums up my feelings as well. I had a copy of their debut and I wanted to like it, but the vocals just sounded too over the top and it made them seem like a joke. Maybe now that time has passed and they've become yesterday's news I should give 'em another shot.
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

The Darkness Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Darkness   The Darkness Icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2008 10:24 am

hey when i was at school this was the heavist thing we had ever heard. we used to listen to it on the way to school everyday for a year
Back to top Go down
TrogDawn
Janitor of the Void
TrogDawn

The Darkness Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Darkness   The Darkness Icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2008 12:11 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
too bad Justin Hawkins did too much herione and killed the band.
Can you post some links to information that substiantiates this statement or is this just rumor/speculation?

ultmetal wrote:
I haven't dug deeply into the second one yet, but as soon as I do I'll let you know. At first blush, it seems to have more of that same kind of sound as the first one, which is the main thing I like, but I'm not sure yet if the songwriting is as solid as the debut. They did have Roy Thomas 'Night at the Opera' Baker at the production helm though, so that's interesting all on its own.

I've also found what is at least another full album's worth of b-sides/bonus tracks I need to make my way through also.

Have you heard their Christmas song, ult? That's the first one I heard and it hooked me immediately.

Last edited by on Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

The Darkness Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Darkness   The Darkness Icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2008 12:24 pm

TrogDawn wrote:
Have you heard their Christmas song, ult? That's the first one I heard and it hooked me immediately.

No. Haven't heard that one. I only have their first album.

ult

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

The Darkness Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Darkness   The Darkness Icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2008 12:27 pm

Quote :
Can you post some links to information that substiantiates this statement or is this just rumor/speculation?

Doesn't mention heroin, just coke & booze...

http://www.hecklerspray.com/justin-hawkins-ditches-the-darkness-blames-all-the-drugs/20065284.php
Back to top Go down
TrogDawn
Janitor of the Void
TrogDawn

The Darkness Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Darkness   The Darkness Icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2008 12:29 pm

ultmetal wrote:
I'll hook you up, brah. The Darkness 604261
Back to top Go down
TrogDawn
Janitor of the Void
TrogDawn

The Darkness Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Darkness   The Darkness Icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2008 12:34 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Quote :

http://www.hecklerspray.com/justin-hawkins-ditches-the-darkness-blames-all-the-drugs/20065284.php
Thanks for that. The article is a bit biased and hostile, but if their quotes of Justin are accurate, that's a damn shame. No
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

The Darkness Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Darkness   The Darkness Icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2008 12:42 pm

TrogDawn wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
I'll hook you up, brah. The Darkness 604261

i could send you their second album becuase i dont want it anymore because i dont like it
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

The Darkness Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Darkness   The Darkness Icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2008 12:56 pm

If I find used CDs from them real cheap I might give them a good try. I heard one song from them and didn't like it at all (mostly for the vocals).
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

The Darkness Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Darkness   The Darkness Icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2008 1:05 pm

i dont mind the vocals actually only becuase we spent so much time listening to them
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

The Darkness Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Darkness   The Darkness Icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2008 1:32 pm

TrogDawn wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
Quote :

Thanks for that. The article is a bit biased and hostile, but if their quotes of Justin are accurate, that's a damn shame. No

Woops - wrong drug. I guess I forgot to take some ginko yesterday
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

The Darkness Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Darkness   The Darkness Icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2008 1:35 pm

ultmetal wrote:

It's not as good as the first, but I do think it is a good album (I like it alot!). You should pick it up and check it out - expect a different sound than the first one, expect a more 70's influenced sound, heavily Queen (roy thomas baker era) influenced - he did produce one way ticket also
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The Darkness Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Darkness   The Darkness Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Darkness
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: