Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Judas Priest - Turbo

Go down 
+18
caniplaywithmadness?
MoonChild
Troublezone
Required Fields
journeyman
iamrockerfun
Metal Misfit
mr.electric39
ghost
krokus
INVADERS
mc666
Lurideath
Fat Freddy
SideShowDisaSter
ultmetal
KissinMaiden
22 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage

Judas Priest - Turbo Empty
PostSubject: Judas Priest - Turbo   Judas Priest - Turbo Icon_minitimeWed Feb 21, 2007 6:44 pm

Why do people hate this album so much? Is it because of the addition of electronics? I really love Turbo. It is one of my favorite Priest releases, wondering why people dislike it so much
Back to top Go down
KissinMaiden
Metal master
Metal master
KissinMaiden

Number of posts : 688

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Turbo   Judas Priest - Turbo Icon_minitimeWed Feb 21, 2007 6:50 pm

to tell you the truth i never really gave ita chance. One of these days ill give it a good listen.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Turbo   Judas Priest - Turbo Icon_minitimeWed Feb 21, 2007 7:56 pm

Synth guitars. Lame songwriting. Uhhhh...Turbo Lover. How about, We don't need no, no, no, no, parental guidance here.

I don't hate it. There are some good songs on it, but it ranks at the bottom of the list for me.

Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4603

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Turbo   Judas Priest - Turbo Icon_minitimeWed Feb 21, 2007 8:01 pm

I've never really given it enough of a listen to say I like or loathe it. One day I'll get around to it properly.

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Turbo   Judas Priest - Turbo Icon_minitimeWed Feb 21, 2007 8:01 pm

Yeah, I hear yah. It is one of the first Priest I got way back when. Maybe that is why I like it.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39646

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Turbo   Judas Priest - Turbo Icon_minitimeWed Feb 21, 2007 8:45 pm

It's their weakest release to be sure. Like it was already stated,the synth guitars and poor songwriting just brings it down (although I always liked Out in the Cold)
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37658

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Turbo   Judas Priest - Turbo Icon_minitimeWed Feb 21, 2007 9:03 pm

It's not high on my list of Priest favorites, but the TURBO tour was my first concert when I was 16 years old (Geez, was it REALLY that long ago?) so it has sentimental value for me. Most of it hasn't aged very well but "Turbo Lover" is still a great song, as is "Out In The Cold" .... you can keep "Parental Guidance," "Wild Nights, Hot & Crazy Days" and "Hot For Love" (ugh!) though...
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3893

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Turbo   Judas Priest - Turbo Icon_minitimeWed Feb 21, 2007 11:36 pm

I don't think its a bad album at all. I like it. Its way better than Demolition and most of Ram It Down!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Turbo   Judas Priest - Turbo Icon_minitimeWed Feb 21, 2007 11:46 pm

I'm with FF here. That was the first "compact disc" that any of
my friends ever owned, as the technolgy was brand new. So we wore
that thing out over the course of the summer. And the "Out in the
Cold" intro to that tour was the most memorable in history, with the
bass, then drum, then guitar and the red-light hitting each member
right at thier note, then Mr Halford coming out (no pun there).
Coolest stage intro EVER!!!! So, the memories trump the music on
that album.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Turbo   Judas Priest - Turbo Icon_minitimeThu Feb 22, 2007 12:28 am

ultmetal wrote:
Synth guitars. Lame songwriting. Uhhhh...Turbo Lover. How about, We don't need no, no, no, no, parental guidance here.

I don't hate it. There are some good songs on it, but it ranks at the bottom of the list for me.
100% agreed, with all points

Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Turbo   Judas Priest - Turbo Icon_minitimeThu Feb 22, 2007 8:27 am

SAXON1500 wrote:
I'm with FF here. That was the first "compact disc" that any of
my friends ever owned, as the technolgy was brand new. So we wore
that thing out over the course of the summer. And the "Out in the
Cold" intro to that tour was the most memorable in history, with the
bass, then drum, then guitar and the red-light hitting each member
right at thier note, then Mr Halford coming out (no pun there).
Coolest stage intro EVER!!!! So, the memories trump the music on
that album.

Right on brother!! I think "Out In The Cold" would still fit well in a current Priest live set. It was an excellent show opener!!
Back to top Go down
INVADERS
Metal master
Metal master
INVADERS

Number of posts : 937

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Turbo   Judas Priest - Turbo Icon_minitimeThu Feb 22, 2007 9:03 am

I can't believe that none of you guys have said anything about the last song RECKLESS

very 80's but it's one of priest's greatest songs
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Turbo   Judas Priest - Turbo Icon_minitimeThu Feb 22, 2007 1:32 pm

I realy love TURBO. Its different then for exemple SCREAMING FOR VENGEANCE but who cares, its still metal. Many of the people that didnt liked TURBO also didnt like THE ULTIMATE SIN by OZZY, SOMEWHERE IN TIME by IRON MAIDEN, VINNIE VINCENT INVASION debut, or THE PACK IS BACK by RAVEN. I like all of those albums because they had great songs on it and that is the most important thing to me, SONGS.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Turbo   Judas Priest - Turbo Icon_minitimeThu Feb 22, 2007 2:29 pm

Raven are one of my favorite bands but Pack is Back was a wretched release from them. Even the band thinks as much. It was Atlantic Records forcing the band to 'sell records'. All it did was alienate them from their fanbase. However, I know what you mean. Even these albums have some good songs.

BTW, love Vinnie Vincent Invasion's debut. I have it on CD, vinyl and special edition CD.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Turbo   Judas Priest - Turbo Icon_minitimeThu Feb 22, 2007 3:44 pm

I hear ya on Raven's PACK IS BACK, Ult. I hated that album when it first came out but my dislike of it seems to have cooled with the passage of time. There are a few good tracks on it like "Rock Dogs" (the riff in that song is a MONSTER) and "Youngblood." As a commercial metal disc it isn't bad, but when you stack it up against the rest of the Raven discography, it's at the bottom of the pile...
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Turbo   Judas Priest - Turbo Icon_minitimeThu Feb 22, 2007 4:11 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Raven are one of my favorite bands but Pack is Back was a wretched release from them. Even the band thinks as much. It was Atlantic Records forcing the band to 'sell records'. All it did was alienate them from their fanbase. However, I know what you mean. Even these albums have some good songs.

BTW, love Vinnie Vincent Invasion's debut. I have it on CD, vinyl and special edition CD.

Its realy true that they lost a lot of fans by releasing that album but i always liked it because i like most of the songs on it. I am not only a fan of the old NWOBHM movement but also of melodic hard rock that many NWOBHM bands started to play after the success of DEF LEPPARD in the USA. I am talking about the second album by JAGUAR (THIS TIME from 84), BURNING IN THE SHADES by TYGERS OF PAN TANG, AINĀ“T MISBEHAVINĀ“or NO REMORSE by TOKYO BLADE, RUNNING WILD by GIRLSCHOOL, JOINT FORCES by PAUL SAMSON, ROCK AINT DEAD by HEAVY PETTIN, etc...i think i made my point. I love the old albums by this bands but also their not so popular records or records that most of the people hate. Maybe i am just strange:lol!:
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Turbo   Judas Priest - Turbo Icon_minitimeThu Feb 22, 2007 8:23 pm

I notice you did not include "Heart Attack" by a certain band that starts with "K".....
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Turbo   Judas Priest - Turbo Icon_minitimeFri Feb 23, 2007 9:19 am

SAXON1500 wrote:
I notice you did not include "Heart Attack" by a certain band that starts with "K".....

Yes, you are right but i think CHANGE OF ADDRESS also from 86 is even more in the TURBO vain in my opinion. But yes, HEART ATTACK is much more melodic sounding then for exemple HEADHUNTER or their older ones.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Turbo   Judas Priest - Turbo Icon_minitimeFri Feb 23, 2007 10:37 am

I still need Change of Address on CD. Pain in the butt to find.

Metal master
Metal master
ghost

Number of posts : 814

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Turbo   Judas Priest - Turbo Icon_minitimeFri Feb 23, 2007 12:33 pm

I like Turbo. It's definitly not their best, but it's not bad. Only differnt. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
mr.electric39
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

Number of posts : 1828

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Turbo   Judas Priest - Turbo Icon_minitimeFri Feb 23, 2007 9:19 pm

What a Face When Turbo came out I hated it. absolutely except for "Locked In" which struck me as more like 'Point of Entry' like. "Parental Guidance" that awful "Johnny B. Goode" cover... new management for Priest, same as The Who... made a big deal outta it. All Priest did was lose momentum... Heavy disc like "British Steel" than more commercial POE which didn't do as well... Than heavy with 'Vengeance' (platinum)and 'Defenders', yet didn't sell as well. Back with ultra-commercial 'Turbo'.... No wonder I got into thrash.... First Raven disc I heard was "All For One" brilliant ! Got into everything else and then 'The pack failed'... sorry just my opinion......
Back to top Go down
http://www.whitethronereviews.blogspot.com

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Turbo   Judas Priest - Turbo Icon_minitimeFri Feb 23, 2007 9:23 pm

mr.electric39 wrote:
What a Face When Turbo came out I hated it. absolutely except for "Locked In" which struck me as more like 'Point of Entry' like. "Parental Guidance" that awful "Johnny B. Goode" cover... new management for Priest, same as The Who... made a big deal outta it. All Priest did was lose momentum... Heavy disc like "British Steel" than more commercial POE which didn't do as well... Than heavy with 'Vengeance' (platinum)and 'Defenders', yet didn't sell as well. Back with ultra-commercial 'Turbo'.... No wonder I got into thrash.... First Raven disc I heard was "All For One" brilliant ! Got into everything else and then 'The pack failed'... sorry just my opinion......
that awful Johnny B Goode cover came out on Ram It Down 2 years later.
Back to top Go down
mr.electric39
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

Number of posts : 1828

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Turbo   Judas Priest - Turbo Icon_minitimeFri Feb 23, 2007 10:13 pm

Wasn't it was actually released on a film soundtrack before 'Ram It down' was released.... then added.... wasn't it...? (cringing in embarrasment)..... wouldn't be the first or last time I was wrong....Embarassed

That video was weak... Rob with a pony tail.....
Back to top Go down
http://www.whitethronereviews.blogspot.com

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Turbo   Judas Priest - Turbo Icon_minitimeFri Feb 23, 2007 10:19 pm

mr.electric39 wrote:
Wasn't it was actually released on a film soundtrack before 'Ram It down' was released.... then added.... wasn't it...? (cringing in embarrasment)..... wouldn't be the first or last time I was wrong....Embarassed

That video was weak... Rob with a pony tail.....
'tis ok. Was just letting yah know.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Turbo   Judas Priest - Turbo Icon_minitimeFri Feb 23, 2007 10:19 pm

Yea, the Priest cover of "Johnny B. Goode" was on the soundtrack to a movie by the same name, which starred Anthony Michael Hall. (the movie sucked from what little I remember about it, by the way...) It came out a little bit before the RAM IT DOWN album.

Dunno why so many people seem to hate RAM IT DOWN so much by the way... when I first heard it I personally went "Phew!" cuz it was a relief to hear that the TURBO record wasn't a permanent change in direction! There's some good heavy stuff on the RAM IT DOWN album... and they were great when I saw'em on that tour too...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Turbo   Judas Priest - Turbo Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Judas Priest - Turbo
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next