Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Kevin DuBrow of Quiet Riot - R.I.P.

Go down 
+30
the sentinel
TrogDawn
rattpoison
nevermore
GrandNational
thejokeriv
journeyman
Wargod
spiritoradio
mez
Chairman_Smith
Shiney
Lurideath
Metal Misfit
DallasBlack
caniplaywithmadness?
kmorg
mc666
MetalGuy71
krokus
Olafsto
Required Fields
Thrasher73
iamrockerfun
ultmetal
Troublezone
TheGooch
INVADERS
Fat Freddy
34 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage

Kevin DuBrow of Quiet Riot - R.I.P. - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kevin DuBrow of Quiet Riot - R.I.P.   Kevin DuBrow of Quiet Riot - R.I.P. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 26, 2007 10:28 pm

I don't even own a QR album on CD. I have tapes still...and no tape deck.
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: Kevin DuBrow of Quiet Riot - R.I.P.   Kevin DuBrow of Quiet Riot - R.I.P. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 26, 2007 10:31 pm

ultmetal wrote:
I'm taking Metal Health and Quiet Riot II to work tomorrow to crank.

I think I'll be taking Metal Health out myself to crank out. R.I.P. Kevin.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Kevin DuBrow of Quiet Riot - R.I.P.   Kevin DuBrow of Quiet Riot - R.I.P. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 26, 2007 10:45 pm

Eyesore wrote:

Ditto. I still have the same METAL HEALTH cassette that I got for Xmas when I was twelve or thirteen years old!

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Kevin DuBrow of Quiet Riot - R.I.P.   Kevin DuBrow of Quiet Riot - R.I.P. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 26, 2007 11:58 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Ditto. I still have the same METAL HEALTH cassette that I got for Xmas when I was twelve or thirteen years old!
They were on the upgrade list. Guess I'll bump them to the top. Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Kevin DuBrow of Quiet Riot - R.I.P.   Kevin DuBrow of Quiet Riot - R.I.P. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 27, 2007 12:29 am

i only had the one album, Metal Health. everything else sucked to these ears.

PostSubject: Re: Kevin DuBrow of Quiet Riot - R.I.P.   Kevin DuBrow of Quiet Riot - R.I.P. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 27, 2007 3:37 am

Looks like Glenn Hughes is the one to get a paramedic over to Kevin's house to check on him after he hadn't heard from him in a week, and he didn't show up at a party Glenn was throwing.

He mentions that Kevin had been talking about getting off alcohol or drugs (he's not specific) like Glenn did. So sadly it looks like this is likely going to be a case of another musician dying because of drugs or alcohol.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Kevin DuBrow of Quiet Riot - R.I.P.   Kevin DuBrow of Quiet Riot - R.I.P. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 27, 2007 6:25 am

Eyesore wrote:
Looks like Glenn Hughes is the one to get a paramedic over to Kevin's house to check on him after he hadn't heard from him in a week, and he didn't show up at a party Glenn was throwing.

He mentions that Kevin had been talking about getting off alcohol or drugs (he's not specific) like Glenn did. So sadly it looks like this is likely going to be a case of another musician dying because of drugs or alcohol.

Drugs suck!!!
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Kevin DuBrow of Quiet Riot - R.I.P.   Kevin DuBrow of Quiet Riot - R.I.P. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 27, 2007 8:04 am

Drugs do suck. angry

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Kevin DuBrow of Quiet Riot - R.I.P.   Kevin DuBrow of Quiet Riot - R.I.P. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 27, 2007 9:39 am

They say these things happen in threes, don't they?

Cuz Blabbermouth also reported on a guy from a death metal band called "Engrave" who died yesterday due to a gunshot wound he received on Thanksgiving day.

And the guitarist from some band I never heard of called "Hawthorne Heights" also passed away yesterday.

That's three. And if you count the kid from the Polish death metal band Decapitated who died a week or so ago from the injuries he received in a tour bus accident, that's four!!

SPOOKY!!

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Kevin DuBrow of Quiet Riot - R.I.P.   Kevin DuBrow of Quiet Riot - R.I.P. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 27, 2007 10:14 am

Indeed. Ever heard of a dead pool?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Kevin DuBrow of Quiet Riot - R.I.P.   Kevin DuBrow of Quiet Riot - R.I.P. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 27, 2007 12:40 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
And the guitarist from some band I never heard of called "Hawthorne Heights" also passed away yesterday.
Really? That's a young band, I think.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Kevin DuBrow of Quiet Riot - R.I.P.   Kevin DuBrow of Quiet Riot - R.I.P. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 27, 2007 12:42 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
Really? That's a young band, I think.

People are saying his death was asthma related.
Back to top Go down
Shiney
Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

Number of posts : 3487

PostSubject: Re: Kevin DuBrow of Quiet Riot - R.I.P.   Kevin DuBrow of Quiet Riot - R.I.P. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 27, 2007 12:54 pm

yeah...their guitartist died in his sleep...

Not a fan of their music but sad indeed as he was pretty young.

PostSubject: Re: Kevin DuBrow of Quiet Riot - R.I.P.   Kevin DuBrow of Quiet Riot - R.I.P. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 27, 2007 2:31 pm

Metal Health was the second metal cassette I owned, and I was 12 at the time it was released. I loved it then, put it aside for about 15 years, and then got back into it on CD a couple of years ago, and though I'd completely forgotten about the album's more obscure tracks, hearing them once more restored my fond memories completely.

It is truly a pity that Kevin Dubrow died at so relatively young an age, as we was indeed quite the talented if underrated heavy metal vocalist.

I will order Rehab soon, an album I'd never heard of until I read this thread, in rememberance of Dubrow and his band. I trust that I won't be disappointed.
Back to top Go down
iamrockerfun
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
iamrockerfun

Number of posts : 2003

PostSubject: Re: Kevin DuBrow of Quiet Riot - R.I.P.   Kevin DuBrow of Quiet Riot - R.I.P. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 27, 2007 2:52 pm

asthma ? or drugs or alcohol ?
asthma is really bad ... man i'm asthmatic too. Shocked
Back to top Go down
http://bootlegnightmare.euweb.cz/
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: Kevin DuBrow of Quiet Riot - R.I.P.   Kevin DuBrow of Quiet Riot - R.I.P. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 27, 2007 9:04 pm

I heard the tragic news last night on Eddie Trunk's show on XM Radio. I was pretty shocked when I heard about this. I remember saving my lunch money when I was in jr. high just so I could buy Metal Health.

R.I.P. Kevin you'll definitely be missed.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

PostSubject: Re: Kevin DuBrow of Quiet Riot - R.I.P.   Kevin DuBrow of Quiet Riot - R.I.P. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 27, 2007 9:05 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:

That's pretty big news, Hawthorne Heights are big platinum selling rock band (last album landed #3 on Billboard) and one of the pinups of the emo generation.
Also not long ago Ricky Parent drummer of Enuff Z'Nuff died, he had been a member of the band since 1993 after replacing original Vik Fox.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Kevin DuBrow of Quiet Riot - R.I.P.   Kevin DuBrow of Quiet Riot - R.I.P. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 27, 2007 9:21 pm

May he rest in peace.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Kevin DuBrow of Quiet Riot - R.I.P.   Kevin DuBrow of Quiet Riot - R.I.P. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 27, 2007 9:24 pm

rattpoison wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

That's pretty big news, Hawthorne Heights are big platinum selling rock band (last album landed #3 on Billboard) and one of the pinups of the emo generation.

Well, that shows you how hip and up-to-the-minute I am about current bands. I had no idea at all who Hawthorne Heights was. A couple of the twenty somethings I work with seemed pretty shocked to hear the news though.

Then again, those same twenty somethings had no idea who Kevin DuBrow was, so I guess it all balances out.

Back to top Go down
TrogDawn
Janitor of the Void
TrogDawn

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Kevin DuBrow of Quiet Riot - R.I.P.   Kevin DuBrow of Quiet Riot - R.I.P. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 27, 2007 9:36 pm

Sad news indeed. No metalhead kid who grew up in the 80's can say they are completely unaffected by this. Sad

Kevin DuBrow of Quiet Riot - R.I.P. - Page 3 M_c7294d91459c639edcc001d08f86cebb

@ ult: I spun Metal Health and Quiet Riot II today also! 🤘

Kevin DuBrow of Quiet Riot - R.I.P. - Page 3 200px-MetalHealthQuietRiot Kevin DuBrow of Quiet Riot - R.I.P. - Page 3 Alb16234

My personal favorite memory of Kevin is one time when he and the QR guys were guest VJ-ing on MTV and Kevin introduced the upcoming video (by Bananarama) as "here's my favorite song by RAMABANANA!" Laughing very hard

And yeah, Kevin and Randy can jam again, and he can also hang with his favorite singer (and another massive loss to the rock world) Steve Marriott. You wanna hear where Kevin learned the ropes that got him his chops? Give HUMBLE PIE and their powerhouse lead vocalist a good listen. humble

Kevin DuBrow of Quiet Riot - R.I.P. - Page 3 31895972

R.I.P. Kevin, Randy and Steve. Sad

Kevin DuBrow of Quiet Riot - R.I.P. - Page 3 Kevindubrow Kevin DuBrow of Quiet Riot - R.I.P. - Page 3 IMG_1 Kevin DuBrow of Quiet Riot - R.I.P. - Page 3 4446556-sm

Last edited by on Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://bandcamp.com/stonegrooverecords/following
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Kevin DuBrow of Quiet Riot - R.I.P.   Kevin DuBrow of Quiet Riot - R.I.P. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 27, 2007 9:54 pm

When I take a knee tonite, I'll send one up for him. Sad
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Kevin DuBrow of Quiet Riot - R.I.P.   Kevin DuBrow of Quiet Riot - R.I.P. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 28, 2007 12:19 pm

Some tributes to Kevin DuBrow from his fellow rockers (from Blabbermouth):

Blackie Lawless of W.A.S.P.:
"He was one of the best singers rock has ever seen. He had a voice like a razor blade that just cut right through you. And that voice is now silent.
He was one of the first people I ever met when I came to L.A. Kevin and I had a unique kinship, because our styles were similar, and we were both the same age. The third gig I ever played in L.A. was with him and QUIET RIOT, when [guitarist Randy Rhoads] was still in the band.
QUIET RIOT [was] the first real MTV rock band. I always used to tell everybody that when people write rock 'n' roll encyclopedias, you'll see your '64 British invasion, the '56 Elvis chapter and the '69 Haight-Ashbury chapter — well, L.A. will have its own '82-'83 chapter, and QUIET RIOT would really be the beginning of that chapter."

Dee Snider:
"I'd like to [share] a story. Kevin and I were talking one day and he told me about some girl scouts coming to his house to sell cookies and when he opened the door, they started singing [TWISTED SISTER's] 'We're Not Gonna Take It', much to his chagrin. Kevin told me that people were often getting TWISTED SISTER's song confused with QUIET RIOT's 'Cum On Feel the Noize' and asked if that ever happened to me. I proudly (and smugly) told him it had not. I could see Kevin was a little embarrassed by this... even better.
"From that day on, I have often had people confuse my song with 'Cum On Feel the Noize', culminating at a major sporting event where the cameras picked me out of the crowd, put my face on the Jumbotron...and started blasting 'Cum On Feel the Noize' while thousands cheered! Now it was my turn to be embarrassed. It was like God was getting even with me for being such a smug asshole.
"Sorry about that, Kev."

Back to top Go down
Waylon
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 305

PostSubject: Re: Kevin DuBrow of Quiet Riot - R.I.P.   Kevin DuBrow of Quiet Riot - R.I.P. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 28, 2007 1:13 pm

I haven't been on the computer much at all since Thanksgiving day, and I come on here today to come to find this... sad indeed. I was a Quiet Riot fan from the first time I heard them, and being a singer, it was specifically Kevin's unique voice that drew me in way back then. I finally was able to see QR play a live set this past summer (after all of these years of being a fan), and sadly I now know that it will indeed also be my last. Just one more reminder of making the most of every opportunity. Here are a few pics from that show (from 8/3/07).
R.I.P. Kevin...
Kevin DuBrow of Quiet Riot - R.I.P. - Page 3 2071938336_2128f69753
Kevin DuBrow of Quiet Riot - R.I.P. - Page 3 2071938332_9ae2fd6ceb
Kevin DuBrow of Quiet Riot - R.I.P. - Page 3 2071938330_91ec823740
Kevin DuBrow of Quiet Riot - R.I.P. - Page 3 2071938328_ec165cc42d
Kevin DuBrow of Quiet Riot - R.I.P. - Page 3 2071938310_f7bf2f78b5_b
Kevin DuBrow of Quiet Riot - R.I.P. - Page 3 2071938334_95525c26e0_b
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Kevin DuBrow of Quiet Riot - R.I.P.   Kevin DuBrow of Quiet Riot - R.I.P. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 28, 2007 1:17 pm

Great pics, Waylon!

I wish I could have seen them before all of this.
Back to top Go down
7thSecond
Metal master
Metal master
7thSecond

Number of posts : 668

PostSubject: Re: Kevin DuBrow of Quiet Riot - R.I.P.   Kevin DuBrow of Quiet Riot - R.I.P. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 28, 2007 2:56 pm

R.I.P. Kevin. I'll be forever indebted to you for starting it all for me in 83.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kevin DuBrow of Quiet Riot - R.I.P.   Kevin DuBrow of Quiet Riot - R.I.P. - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Kevin DuBrow of Quiet Riot - R.I.P.
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next