Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Skeletonwitch

Go down 
+13
MetalGuy71
TheGooch
Rex
scottmitchell74
Troublezone
mc666
ultmetal
SideShowDisaSter
Temple of Blood
nevermore
T-Roy
Thrasher73
Required Fields
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage

Skeletonwitch - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skeletonwitch   Skeletonwitch - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 07, 2007 7:44 am

Yes it has death elements. Its similar to Demiricous, methinks. I eat that stuff up so its right up my alley.
Back to top Go down
Rex
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Rex

Number of posts : 2056

PostSubject: Re: Skeletonwitch   Skeletonwitch - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 07, 2007 8:05 am

Pass.
Great artwork though.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Skeletonwitch   Skeletonwitch - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 07, 2007 10:35 am

Yeah, I can see the black and death influences. This stuff just seeps of true thrash though. But I do agree - it is a hybrid of sorts, but I like that - it gives them some originality.

I can maybe see a little bit of metalcore in there too - but this is NOT a metalcore album. Sorry.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Skeletonwitch   Skeletonwitch - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 07, 2007 10:38 am

kmorg, ult,

Can we just ban the words "metalcore" and "nu-metal" by making them turn to "smurfette"? Please? Smile
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

PostSubject: Re: Skeletonwitch   Skeletonwitch - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 07, 2007 11:34 am

yeah skeleton witch seem cool the cover puts me off though looks core
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Skeletonwitch   Skeletonwitch - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 07, 2007 8:43 pm

Not bad. The music is great, the artwork is outstanding. The only thing I'm not sold on is the vocals, but they seem secondary to the music. I'm not sure that I'd buy this, but I'm not totally turned off by it either.
Back to top Go down
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

PostSubject: Re: Skeletonwitch   Skeletonwitch - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 07, 2007 10:25 pm

i agree with rex, not that great, but the artwork is bitchin'
Back to top Go down
brontotex
brontotex

Number of posts : 446

PostSubject: Re: Skeletonwitch   Skeletonwitch - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2007 7:36 pm

I saw this one in the store today and picked it up. spinning right now for the first time. It's pretty good stuff. Modern speed/thrash - core ala 3 Inches Of Blood or Blood Tsunami.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Skeletonwitch   Skeletonwitch - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 10, 2007 2:37 pm

brontotex wrote:
I saw this one in the store today and picked it up. spinning right now for the first time. It's pretty good stuff. Modern speed/thrash - core ala 3 Inches Of Blood or Blood Tsunami.

🤘

I might have to check out 3 Inches of Blood and Blood Tsunami. I love stuff like this! It's still thrash, but it doesn't sound 'dated'.

That's my biggest gripe with bands like Fueled by Fire and Dekapitator. They are good - but they sound 'stale'.

Thrash needs to be relevant to today - and not sound like it's stuck back in the 80s.

This is the kind of thrash I am really loving nowadays.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Skeletonwitch   Skeletonwitch - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 10, 2007 3:34 pm

blackieboy wrote:
That's my biggest gripe with bands like Fueled by
Fire and Dekapitator. They are good - but they sound 'stale'.

Thrash needs to be relevant to today - and not sound like it's stuck back in the 80s.

I don't see it like this. I think you play what you like and don't worry about being "relevant" or "modern". Bands like Fueled by Fire and Merciless Death love that old school Dark Angel, Slayer, Testament stuff, so that's what they play. Nothing wrong with that. They are great at what they do and I enjoy them for it.

Bands like 3 Inches of Blood employ a more modern sound, which
is also cool. I like them as well. I don't see one as being "the right
way" and the other as being "wrong." Rather I just see it as playing
the kind of music you are inspired to play.

ult

PostSubject: Re: Skeletonwitch   Skeletonwitch - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 10, 2007 9:00 pm

ultmetal wrote:
blackieboy wrote:
That's my biggest gripe with bands like Fueled by
Fire and Dekapitator. They are good - but they sound 'stale'.

I don't see it like this. I think you play what you like and don't worry about being "relevant" or "modern". Bands like Fueled by Fire and Merciless Death love that old school Dark Angel, Slayer, Testament stuff, so that's what they play. Nothing wrong with that. They are great at what they do and I enjoy them for it.

Bands like 3 Inches of Blood employ a more modern sound, which
is also cool. I like them as well. I don't see one as being "the right
way" and the other as being "wrong." Rather I just see it as playing
the kind of music you are inspired to play.

ult

Yeah, I agree Ult. I guess I was just saying for me personally, I'm liking the newer sounding stuff. NOT metalcore crap, but stuff like this - that has that old school speed metal 'feel', but employs a more modern production technique. Know what I mean?

By the way, I listen to a LOT of 80s metal still, so I'm not dissing on the new bands who sound 'old'. I like that too.

I'm just saying - I'm preferring this modern take on thrash. I guess that's another reason I love the new Shadows Fall album so much.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Skeletonwitch   Skeletonwitch - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 10, 2007 9:38 pm

Good music is good music. That's what I always say.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Skeletonwitch   Skeletonwitch - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 11, 2007 10:30 am

Eyesore wrote:
Good music is good music. That's what I always say.

I'm in total agreement with this!

humble
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Skeletonwitch   Skeletonwitch - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 13, 2007 3:20 pm

OK, I have a copy of this for trade.

If you are interested, PM me, please.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Skeletonwitch   Skeletonwitch - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2007 8:18 am

You no likey?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Skeletonwitch   Skeletonwitch - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2007 8:22 am

blackieboy wrote:
You no likey?
I no likey. It had too much of a Gothenburg sound for my taste. I am too simple to jazz up my thrash. Give me the generic stuff any day.

But it isn't a bad album by any means, just not for me personally.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Skeletonwitch   Skeletonwitch - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2007 8:25 am

I understand. I can see the 'Gothenburg' comparison too. I like that sound - so it makes sense.

By the way, do you like 3 Inches of Blood? Aren't they pretty similar?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Skeletonwitch   Skeletonwitch - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2007 8:28 am

I didn't care for 3 Inches of Blood. I think they sound totally different than Skeletonwitch. Especially the vocals. Skeletonwitch is a low gutteral sound, which I didn't mind. On the album I heard, 3 Inches of Blood has a high pitched guy and then another guy who growls in background. It was too odd for me.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Skeletonwitch   Skeletonwitch - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2007 8:36 am

I don't have any 3 Inches of Blood but was curious about maybe checking out their new album.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Skeletonwitch   Skeletonwitch - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2007 10:00 am

blackieboy wrote:
I don't have any 3 Inches of Blood but was curious about maybe checking out their new album.

I think you would like it Blackieboy.I think its a great album.The high pitched vocals kinda remind me of Guy Ritter on Stop the Bleeding.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Skeletonwitch   Skeletonwitch - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2007 10:49 am

thrasher73 wrote:
blackieboy wrote:

I think you would like it Blackieboy.I think its a great album.The high pitched vocals kinda remind me of Guy Ritter on Stop the Bleeding.

REALLY? I'm a huge fan of Guy Ritter. I'm sold now - I think I might pick this up tomorrow night instead of the new Pagan's Mind.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Skeletonwitch   Skeletonwitch - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 18, 2007 10:04 am

I noticed a bunch of people recently added this to their collections. What does everyone think?

I listened to it twice yesterday in my car. The music is fantastic.
Some great guitar work and nice dual leads. The vocals are sort of
burried in the mix, which probably isn't a bad thing. The black/death
vocals almost don't match the music IMO. Too bad they don't have a
thrash vocalist, or even a melodic power metal singer. Either would have
been better IMO. The lyrics are disappointing to me. I'm getting tired
of "hail Satan" lyrics. I'd probably describe them more as melodic death
metal than thrash, but I can't deny there is some thrash influence in
some of the writing.

ult

Last edited by on Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Skeletonwitch   Skeletonwitch - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 18, 2007 10:08 am

ultmetal wrote:
I noticed a bunch of people recently added this to their collections. What does everyone think?

I listened to it twice yesterday in my car. The music is fantastic.
Some great guitar work and nice dual leads. The vocals are sort of
burried in the mix, which probably isn't a bad thing. The black/death
vocals almost don't match the music IMO. Too bad they don't have a
thrash vocalist, or even a melodic power metal singer. Either would have
been better IMO. The lyrics are disappointing to me. I'm getting tired
of "hail Satan" lyrics. I'd probably describe them more as melodic death
metal than thrash, but I can't deny there is some thrash influence in
some of the writing.

ult

Lyrically
speaking, I don't like this. But that's where my 'dislike' ends. I
absolutely love this slab of thrash. I like how the vocals are a bit on
the 'death' side. In fact, it sort of reminds me of your vox Scott. You
are a thrash singer, but you veer close to 'death' territory too. I
like that personally.

Anyway - I'm nothing but impressed with Skeletonwitch. They are in my top 10 for the year. Lyrics aside.

🤘
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Skeletonwitch   Skeletonwitch - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 18, 2007 4:18 pm

personally i like the vox. especially where he gets into the Carcass sounding style. i think it goes great with the music. of course, i'm a major death metal guy, so whatever.

i never pay much heed to the lyrics of any band. not as far a religion (pro or con) goes anyway.

Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Skeletonwitch   Skeletonwitch - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 18, 2007 5:52 pm

I've already trade my copy off.Didnt care much for it.The music was great but I didnt like the vocals.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Skeletonwitch   Skeletonwitch - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Skeletonwitch
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next