Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The 90's Rock Scene

Go down 
+10
Addy
TheGooch
Metal Misfit
SAHB Healer
Thrasher73
candlemass
DallasBlack
EvyMetal
scottmitchell74
Fat Freddy
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

The 90's Rock Scene - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The 90's Rock Scene   The 90's Rock Scene - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 19, 2007 8:51 pm

I liked:

Live
Cure
Pearl Jam (first 3 albums, then they went down hill)
AiC
STP
Green Day (Some of it, even though it's just overproduced punk rock)
Therapy?
Some Nirvana (I don't like how KC is a hero now)
Foo Fighters

Most of those bands were obviously influenced by the metal scene in the 80's (but they would probably never admit it)
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: The 90's Rock Scene   The 90's Rock Scene - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 19, 2007 8:53 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
I liked:

Live
Cure
Pearl Jam (first 3 albums, then they went down hill)
AiC
STP
Green Day (Some of it, even though it's just overproduced punk rock)
Therapy?
Some Nirvana (I don't like how KC is a hero now)
Foo Fighters

Most of those bands were obviously influenced by the metal scene in the 80's (but they would probably never admit it)

Forgot Rage Against The Machine
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 90's Rock Scene   The 90's Rock Scene - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 19, 2007 10:57 pm

Buy Downset. The original Rage Against The Machine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6IQxhkVIEw

Notice any similarities?
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: The 90's Rock Scene   The 90's Rock Scene - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 21, 2007 11:08 pm

Eyesore wrote:

Notice any similarities?

Similar - but IMHO RATM is better - I like Zack's "vocals" better
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 90's Rock Scene   The 90's Rock Scene - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 22, 2007 12:11 am

thejokeriv wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

Notice any similarities?
Similar - but IMHO RATM is better - I like Zack's "vocals" better
You can like Rage better, but they still ripped Downset off. There are far too many unique similarities.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 90's Rock Scene   The 90's Rock Scene - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 22, 2007 8:31 pm

There are a couple of Nineties bands I like. Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Soundgarden, Tool, Rage Against The Machine, the Chili Peppers, Radiohead, and Green Day. Mainly alternative-type bands. Seeing as though that was "the" music of that time, I guess there's no real surprise there. Cool
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: The 90's Rock Scene   The 90's Rock Scene - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 23, 2007 10:42 am

Eyesore wrote:

Notice any similarities?

Hahaha, I always thought the same thing about Downset/RATM (though I don't really like either one). I saw Downset open for Testament (!) back in '94 and in between each song the vocalist would make a speech about "this song is dedicated to the millions of women in the third world who are being raped every day," or "this song is about the corrupt multinational corporations that are strangling our planet," yadda yadda yadda. I think he spent about 20 minutes of their 40 minute set yapping. People were screaming at 'em to get the hell off the stage and bring on Testament!!

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 90's Rock Scene   The 90's Rock Scene - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 23, 2007 1:09 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

Notice any similarities?
Hahaha, I always thought the same thing about Downset/RATM (though I don't really like either one). I saw Downset open for Testament (!) back in '94 and in between each song the vocalist would make a speech about "this song is dedicated to the millions of women in the third world who are being raped every day," or "this song is about the corrupt multinational corporations that are strangling our planet," yadda yadda yadda. I think he spent about 20 minutes of their 40 minute set yapping. People were screaming at 'em to get the hell off the stage and bring on Testament!!
WTF? Who the hell put them on that bill? That's like giving a white power speech to black people. Wrong venue, dude! Haha.

RATM did truly rip them off. Downset formed around 1987 as Social Justice. They had a more punk influence then, but they did incorporate that rapcore style, too. By 1989/1990 they had basically shed the punk stylings. They also changed their name. The funny thing is, they used to cover "Burning Fight" by Inside Out (Zack's pre-RATM band) while Zack was still in the band! Downset did the style years before RATM did.

When Rage first came out, Downset didn't like that they'd stolen their style. So an early version of "Anger" has some different lyrics that talk traSH about RATM, calling them "ghetto perpetrators" along with things like "wack ass Zack better step the f*ck back" and "fake motherf*er never even seen a nine." Haha. They changed those lyrics on their major label debut, which sadly came out two years after Rage's debut, so everyone called Downset the rip-off band. Pffft! They should have kept the lyrics the same; it may have gotten them some more exposure. Haha.

Anyway, I like both bands, but I like Downset much better since Rage went downhill after the debut. I just always have to make it known that RATM is a copycat band.

Last edited by on Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: The 90's Rock Scene   The 90's Rock Scene - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 23, 2007 1:14 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

Notice any similarities?
WTF? Who the hell put them on that bill? That's like giving a white power speech to black people. Wrong venue, dude! Haha

Oh yea, it was DEFINITELY the wrong crowd for Downset. They should've been on a Lollapalooza-band type bill, not in front of a Testament audience. Actually, both of the opening acts that night were totally inappropriate for a Testament crowd. The first band up was Red Square Black (featuring a pre-Two, pre-Marilyn Manson John 5), who were like a mix of Nine Inch Nails and Primus. They were god-awful. Needless to say, they got booed pretty hard too.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 90's Rock Scene   The 90's Rock Scene - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 23, 2007 1:19 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Oh yea, it was DEFINITELY the wrong crowd for Downset. They should've been on a Lollapalooza-band type bill, not in front of a Testament audience. Actually, both of the opening acts that night were totally inappropriate for a Testament crowd. The first band up was Red Square Black (featuring a pre-Two, pre-Marilyn Manson John 5), who were like a mix of Nine Inch Nails and Primus. They were god-awful. Needless to say, they got booed pretty hard too.
I saw Clutch and SOAD tour with Slayer in 1998. It was brutal for both bands. The Slayer crowd was hateful!
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: The 90's Rock Scene   The 90's Rock Scene - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 23, 2007 1:20 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
I saw Clutch and SOAD tour with Slayer in 1998. It was brutal for both bands. The Slayer crowd was hateful!

Haha, I can imagine! That Testament gig was the biggest mismatch I'd been to since I saw Cinderella open for Judas Priest in 1988. Cinderella's probably lucky they survived that tour. :kickbutt:

Back to top Go down
Mglaffas81
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

Number of posts : 2256

PostSubject: Re: The 90's Rock Scene   The 90's Rock Scene - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 02, 2007 8:55 am

I am sorry, but I just HATE that era of music, guys...just terrible, repetitive and sad. ...ok, some of it was listenable, if you were on a long road-trip, forgot your CDs, and you only had German radio (damn, Bayern is LARGE!) at hand...U2, SoundGarden and maybe REM were OK, but only one-two songs, then it get's repetitive. Nu-Metal and Grunge are probably the two genre's I hate the most.

PS: I realize, U2 has been here since the early 80s, and they are zlso the better of the bunch.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 90's Rock Scene   The 90's Rock Scene - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 08, 2007 12:09 am

Some of my favorite bands from that era(being a child of the 90's) are:

Eyehategod
Crowbar
Down
Pantera
The Melvins
Soundgarden
White Zombie
Acid Bath

and so on....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 90's Rock Scene   The 90's Rock Scene - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 08, 2007 1:36 am

Mglaffas81 wrote:
I am sorry, but I just HATE that era of music, guys...just terrible, repetitive and sad. ...ok, some of it was listenable, if you were on a long road-trip, forgot your CDs, and you only had German radio (damn, Bayern is LARGE!) at hand...U2, SoundGarden and maybe REM were OK, but only one-two songs, then it get's repetitive. Nu-Metal and Grunge are probably the two genre's I hate the most.

PS: I realize, U2 has been here since the early 80s, and they are zlso the better of the bunch.
I hereby declare that you know nothing about music from the 90s.
Back to top Go down
Mglaffas81
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

PostSubject: Re: The 90's Rock Scene   The 90's Rock Scene - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 08, 2007 2:09 am

Eyesore wrote:
Mglaffas81 wrote:

I hereby declare that you know nothing about music from the 90s.

I hereby ask: Why? I am just saying, I do not like that era of music. Grunge is terrible...Nu-Metal? COME ON! KoRn, Slipknot, Limp-Bizkit...the worst Shi* I have ever heard (alongside hip-hop and grunge). So many of the new "rock bands" of today are so damn repetitive. My Chemical Romance? eh? Even LOOKING at them, makes you want to strangle them! And that singer...they are all the same (I am talking about bands like MCR)...that whiney, teenage-outburst...they seriously sound like they were the kids that always got beat up in school. Ahh, doesn't matter, don't want to go into further detail, and rant for hours. I just hate it. Grunge, Nu-Metal, Emo, "Pop-Punk" (I don't think I would ever hate a band more than Nirvana, but "the Offspring" comes pretty damn close!).

I love the early albums of Pantera and Machinehead, though. Great stuff. As of the rest...count me out. No offence to anyone.

Cheers,

Gustav
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 90's Rock Scene   The 90's Rock Scene - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 08, 2007 2:50 am

The problem is that you're making blanket statements that are more trendy than Hot Topic on a Saturday night. You're labeling 10 years of music with one word. You mention only bands that were heard in the mainstream, and that is exactly what every other forum turd in the world does.

You've not heard or heard of 95% of the releases and bands that came out in the 90s. You can't even begin to convince me you have. So why make blanket statements? You can dislike Limp Bizkit or Korn all you want, but they're not what 90s music was about, they're just a small part of it.

You mention singers and their whiney teenage outbursts; well, that's exactly what I'm reading above. Try to be a little more open-minded. (And no, before you say it, you're not being open-minded, nor have you been).
Back to top Go down
Mglaffas81
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

PostSubject: Re: The 90's Rock Scene   The 90's Rock Scene - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 08, 2007 3:59 am

Eyesore wrote:
The problem is that you're making blanket statements that are more trendy than Hot Topic on a Saturday night. You're labeling 10 years of music with one word. You mention only bands that were heard in the mainstream, and that is exactly what every other forum turd in the world does.

You've not heard or heard of 95% of the releases and bands that came out in the 90s. You can't even begin to convince me you have. So why make blanket statements? You can dislike Limp Bizkit or Korn all you want, but they're not what 90s music was about, they're just a small part of it.

You mention singers and their whiney teenage outbursts; well, that's exactly what I'm reading above. Try to be a little more open-minded. (And no, before you say it, you're not being open-minded, nor have you been).

I am not saying I have. OK, you are right, I generalized too much. I am not saying that everything invented/started in the nineties is utter garbage. And all right, maybe I was wrong - But...people have said to me before, not to judge ohter bands I have not heard of, just because I didn't like another band, that had been labled the same...and yes, that is true.. but every time I listen to something else, that has the "Alternative" lable to it, it still does not sound good, and to be honest, there is not much variety in it at all...and if there is, it is just like the smell of crap and the smell of garbage - different things, still smells bad. It is mostly because it is so repetitive, though. I listened to System of a Down, to hear what all the fuzz was about...I do not remember the names, I think "Plastic Jesus" was the name of one of them (oh, not to mention, the lyrics SUCK! ...some girl has a lot of friends, and she jumps around on a Pogo-Stick....hmmm...sounds like a kiddey-program theme song)...god, I get tired of that singer...he is so bad... all right, enough of this rant. I am just saying, that I hate the bands/styles I have listed in other posts... but yes, I generalized too much, and should be more open-minded. (But TRUST ME...I have tried not to generalize...and listened to tons of different grunge and other "alternative" bands...and they all sound the same).
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 90's Rock Scene   The 90's Rock Scene - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 08, 2007 2:39 pm

"Plastic Jesus," if I recall correctly, is a mislabeled System Of A Down song that's been out on P2P servers for years. It's not SOAD.

And for the record, the bands don't all sound the same. SOAD, for instance, sounds like no other band out there. They have their own unique sound.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 90's Rock Scene   The 90's Rock Scene - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 08, 2007 2:44 pm

The only alternative band from the nineties that i find tolerable is Alice in Chains.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: The 90's Rock Scene   The 90's Rock Scene - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 08, 2007 3:20 pm

defender_of_the_faith wrote:
The only alternative band from the nineties that i find tolerable is Alice in Chains.

I never considered AIC to be anything but metal, albeit an unusual form of it, til Jar Of Flies. Just listen to Facelift and Dirt and hear Jerry Cantrell shred like there's no tomarrow, truly one of the best guitarists from that era.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb

PostSubject: Re: The 90's Rock Scene   The 90's Rock Scene - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 08, 2007 6:02 pm

A lot of people consider Alice in Chains to be metal. I never could see that connection though. Sure they shred guitar-wise. But the vocals are a dead ringer for grunge. I never did like Alice in Chains or Soundgarden.

Then again, I always liked Nirvana and Temple of the Dog, so what do I know? LOL.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: The 90's Rock Scene   The 90's Rock Scene - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 08, 2007 6:15 pm

blackieboy wrote:
A lot of people consider Alice in Chains to be metal. I never could see that connection though. Sure they shred guitar-wise. But the vocals are a dead ringer for grunge.

The connection is the fact that, the band was not formed to be a grunge band, and the members took their influence from metal, not from alternative (which is were most grunge bands took their influence from). Also, Alice In Chains' first album was before the grunge movement took flight, the only reason they were considered grunge was because they were from Seattle. The vocals are only a dead ringer for grunge by coincidence (besides, a vocal syle does not a genre make). As for Soundgarden, the vocals, at least to me, in no way typified grunge, Chris' voice is unique and unparalleled.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 90's Rock Scene   The 90's Rock Scene - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 08, 2007 6:28 pm

Well, I do agree that Alice in Chains is WAY more metal than Soundgarden. But to me they are both grunge bands. No offense, just my opinion.

Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 90's Rock Scene   The 90's Rock Scene - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 08, 2007 8:26 pm

Have you heard early Alice In Chains? Not very metal, if you ask me.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: The 90's Rock Scene   The 90's Rock Scene - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 08, 2007 10:46 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Have you heard early Alice In Chains? Not very metal, if you ask me.

Yes, I have heard early Alice In Chains and IMO they are pretty metal (I'll say it again: albeit an unusual form of metal). I could just never group them in with Nirvana, Pearl Jam, and Soundgarden (in reality I had a hard time putting Soundgarden in with those two, I just thought of them as a grunge tinged hard rock). Bands like Pearl Jam and Nirvana mocked metal and had no real love for it (Grohl said the Kirk and Novoselic used to made fun of his love for metal). AIC on the other hand embraced it as an influence. Again thats just my opinion and I respect those who don't see it my way.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The 90's Rock Scene   The 90's Rock Scene - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The 90's Rock Scene
Page 4 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next