Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The 90's Rock Scene

Go down 
+10
Addy
TheGooch
Metal Misfit
SAHB Healer
Thrasher73
candlemass
DallasBlack
EvyMetal
scottmitchell74
Fat Freddy
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage

The 90's Rock Scene - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The 90's Rock Scene   The 90's Rock Scene - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2007 3:13 pm

I'd rank the three Nirvana albums I've purchased like so:

1. Nevermind
2. In Utero
3. Bleach

I like them all to varying degrees.

I haven't heard "Insesticid" or anything else.
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

PostSubject: Re: The 90's Rock Scene   The 90's Rock Scene - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2007 5:02 pm

Incesticide was only a stopgap album with live cuts and studio rejects i think
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 90's Rock Scene   The 90's Rock Scene - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2007 8:46 pm

I'm a big Nirvana fan, too. I'm don't care what anyone says. In Utero is their worst, but it's still a very good album, I think. The other three are killer! Very simple music, but great songs.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 90's Rock Scene   The 90's Rock Scene - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2007 8:50 pm

I don't deny Nirvana had some good music. Such as Negative Creep. But there is such a dark cloud over that band for me, that I just can't listen to them. But I won't deny their impact on that kind of music.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: The 90's Rock Scene   The 90's Rock Scene - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2007 9:23 pm

They had their moments...I always liked Pearl Jam (Ten is simply amazing to this day for me) and Soundgarden. Soundgarden up through Badmotorfinger is great stuff.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 90's Rock Scene   The 90's Rock Scene - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2007 9:29 pm

scottmitchell74 wrote:
They had their moments...I always liked Pearl Jam (Ten is simply amazing to this day for me) and Soundgarden. Soundgarden up through Badmotorfinger is great stuff.
Have you heard "Birth Ritual" from the Singles soundtrack? Man, that song is frickin' awesome! Wish everything they did was like that.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: The 90's Rock Scene   The 90's Rock Scene - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2007 9:34 pm

Oh yeah, I have that on cassette. That's an awesome song!! RIIIITUALLL!!!!!!!

That whole soundtrack is pretty good, as a matter of fact.....
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: The 90's Rock Scene   The 90's Rock Scene - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2007 9:35 pm

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 90's Rock Scene   The 90's Rock Scene - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2007 9:36 pm

scottmitchell74 wrote:

Agreed. Although the movie stunk, despite Kyra Sedgewick being extra hot in that one..............
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: The 90's Rock Scene   The 90's Rock Scene - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2007 9:38 pm

Do you know, I've never seen the movie!! lol!

And though she is good looking my wife and I call her "Old Woman Mouth" because you can never see her teeth. Either they're too small or it's how her mouth is shaped but she has a 'granny' mouth! The 90's Rock Scene - Page 3 309780

Last edited by on Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 90's Rock Scene   The 90's Rock Scene - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2007 9:39 pm

Yeah, that is a solid soundtrack. There were some great soundtracks released in the 90s—Singles, Judgement Night, Demon Knight, Airheads, Last Action Hero, the first Beavis & Butthead soundtrack, all killer! They don't make 'em like that anymore.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 90's Rock Scene   The 90's Rock Scene - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2007 9:40 pm

..........Super Mario Bros. The Movie............... Smile
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: The 90's Rock Scene   The 90's Rock Scene - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2007 9:41 pm

Quote :
Beavis & Butthead soundtrack

I can't remember...is that different from the Beavis and Butthead Experience? (which has some great tunes, as well. 99 Ways To Dieeeee!!)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 90's Rock Scene   The 90's Rock Scene - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2007 9:42 pm

scottmitchell74 wrote:
Quote :
Beavis & Butthead soundtrack

I can't remember...is that different from the Beavis and Butthead Experience? (which has some great tunes, as well. 99 Ways To Dieeeee!!)
No, that's the one. The second was ok, but had a lot of crappy songs.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: The 90's Rock Scene   The 90's Rock Scene - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 10, 2007 10:49 am

Forgot Helmet. Also Life Of Agony, my first introduction was Time from River Runs Red. I had the album Ugly and remember liking it especially the cover of Don't You (Forget About Me). Would have gotten River Runs Red but I soon got wrapped up in so many good metal bands that I forgot about LOA.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb

PostSubject: Re: The 90's Rock Scene   The 90's Rock Scene - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 10, 2007 1:42 pm

I've never been into Life of Agony, but Keith's duet with Within Temptation on their new album just blew me away. Enough that I think I might get a Life of Agony cd just to check them out now.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 90's Rock Scene   The 90's Rock Scene - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 10, 2007 4:12 pm

blackieboy wrote:
I've never been into Life of Agony, but Keith's duet with Within Temptation on their new album just blew me away. Enough that I think I might get a Life of Agony cd just to check them out now.
River Runs Red is a classic! The album simply crushes. It's such an amazing album. Ugly is also great; a dark album, but not as heavy. Still killer, though. They went a more alt-rock route on Soul Searching Sun, though, so don't start with that one. A good album, but there are some stinkers. Broken Valley is better, I think, but also it's got more of an alt-rock sound.

But River Runs Red and Ugly are highly recommended. Also, if you're into anything mellow, you might want to try his solo stuff. He has an amazing voice, but his solo stuff is not heavy at all.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 90's Rock Scene   The 90's Rock Scene - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 10, 2007 8:30 pm

Eyesore wrote:
blackieboy wrote:
River Runs Red is a classic! The album simply crushes. It's such an amazing album. Ugly is also great; a dark album, but not as heavy. Still killer, though. They went a more alt-rock route on Soul Searching Sun, though, so don't start with that one. A good album, but there are some stinkers. Broken Valley is better, I think, but also it's got more of an alt-rock sound.

But River Runs Red and Ugly are highly recommended. Also, if you're into anything mellow, you might want to try his solo stuff. He has an amazing voice, but his solo stuff is not heavy at all.

Cool thanks for the rundown. Yeah, I do like a lot of mellow stuff too.

For some reason I thought Life of Agony was always a more 'alt rock' band. Is some of their stuff metal then?

I think I might check out "River Runs Red" or "Ugly".

🤘
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: The 90's Rock Scene   The 90's Rock Scene - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 11, 2007 12:57 am

I think Incesticde is very underrated but thats just me heh

As for LOA the only song i know is "Weeds" I think is the name but i remembered I loved that song
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com

PostSubject: Re: The 90's Rock Scene   The 90's Rock Scene - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 11, 2007 5:12 am

blackieboy wrote:
Cool thanks for the rundown. Yeah, I do like a lot of mellow stuff too.

For some reason I thought Life of Agony was always a more 'alt rock' band. Is some of their stuff metal then?

I think I might check out "River Runs Red" or "Ugly".

🤘
Yes, I'd say the first two are metal albums, while the latter two are more alt-rock. Check these out:

THIS TIME (from River Runs Red)
THROUGH AND THROUGH (from River Runs Red)

I guess there's no videos from Ugly. Here a solo song from Keith's first album:

SELFISH
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 90's Rock Scene   The 90's Rock Scene - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 11, 2007 10:16 am

Thanks! I like those tunes!

🤘
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: The 90's Rock Scene   The 90's Rock Scene - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 12, 2007 11:02 am

Love/Hate - Spinning Wheel
Type O Negative- Bloody Kisses (album)
Smashing Pumpkins- Mellon Collie & The Inifinte Sadness
Ozzy- Ozzmosis
Elastica- Connection
Candlebox- Far Behind
Dr Dre/Snoop Dogg- Nothin but a G Thang
Foo Fighters- S/T
Stone Temple Pilots- Tiny Music Gifts from the Vatican Gift Shop

All these bring up memories of some sort when i hear them
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com

PostSubject: Re: The 90's Rock Scene   The 90's Rock Scene - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 13, 2007 5:01 am

You've got some good stuff in your list Addy!

🤘
Back to top Go down
journeyman
Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

PostSubject: Re: The 90's Rock Scene   The 90's Rock Scene - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 17, 2007 12:37 pm

I missed most of the 90's musically..... when I finally got back into going to a music shop I was amazed by what was going on. All the bands I grew up on were either gone or playing ??? So naturally I resorted to buying the stuff I liked on CD this time around.

Not saying there wasn't any good music happening.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: The 90's Rock Scene   The 90's Rock Scene - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 19, 2007 8:47 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:
Nirvana (up until Cobain offed himself and people treated him like a hero sick )
Why do so many people say this? It's always baffled me. No one says this about Layne Staley, or Bon Scott, or Andrew Wood, or Jimi Hendrix, or Steve Clark, or Dee Dee Ramone, or Phil Lynott, or Elvis, or Janis Joplin, or Bradley Nowell, or GG Allin, or John Bonham. Why not?

What's the difference between putting a gun to your head and pulling the trigger, or repeatedly putting that needle in your arm, or drinking yourself to death? There's no difference at all! It's all suicide. But all those people I named are praised. Kurt Cobain is slammed repeatedly all over the net. It drives me batty. Cobain is no different than Hendrix.

First of all it was more the way the media oogled over him (I mean, MTV had three days straight of Cobain tributes and music videos), they went so overboard that I just got sick of Cobain this and Cobain that. Secondly, I view suicide differently than drug overdose. Sure drug use is stupid and hurts those around you, but even though a user is essentially killing himself or herself, they don't do it intending to end their life, and most of them (the ones you mentioned) didn't have any families to take care of. My biggest beef with Cobain was that he had a little baby daughter who had to grow up without a father and her mother is no prize for sure. All Cobain seemed to care about was himself. He was depressed and felt killing himself would end HIS misery. Did he even think of his baby girl? Suicide is a selfish solution that doesn't take into account the impact it has on those left behind.

The people you mentioned (Cobain included), I don't mind that they are lauded for their music, as long as they're condemed for their actions. While I hear talk about the overdoses of Hendrix, Joplin, Stanley, etc. I hear people talking about how bad drugs are. On the other hand instead of calling his suicide a cowardly action, many fans of his make up stories like "Courtney Love killed him so she could get his money" or "he was forced heroin into his body by his killer(s) who then shot him to make it look like suicide", and other excuses that deny the facts.

Gen X wanted our own Hendrix and Cobain fit the bill. Granted, I don't think his natural talent level was anywhere near that of Hendrix. He did know how to write a hit song (and seemed to hate himself for it)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The 90's Rock Scene   The 90's Rock Scene - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The 90's Rock Scene
Page 3 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next