Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The 90's Rock Scene

Go down 
+10
Addy
TheGooch
Metal Misfit
SAHB Healer
Thrasher73
candlemass
DallasBlack
EvyMetal
scottmitchell74
Fat Freddy
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage

The 90's Rock Scene - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The 90's Rock Scene   The 90's Rock Scene - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 06, 2007 9:04 pm

thrasher73 wrote:
Chocolate Starfish and Significant Other were regular players for me for quite a long while. Laughing
Hey, it's fun music, you know? Nothing wrong with listening to a little Limp Bizkit. Now, dressing like a true Limp Bizkit fan, that's just taking it too far...
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: The 90's Rock Scene   The 90's Rock Scene - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 06, 2007 11:33 pm

The best for me was the stuff kinda between the Grunge and Nu-Metal eras

Only Living Witness
Sugartooth
Mindfunk (Dropped)
New Idol Sun
Mental Hippie Blood
Muthas Day Out
Chum
etc.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: The 90's Rock Scene   The 90's Rock Scene - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 07, 2007 12:13 am

Eyesore wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:
Nirvana (up until Cobain offed himself and people treated him like a hero sick )
Why do so many people say this? It's always baffled me. No one says this about Layne Staley, or Bon Scott, or Andrew Wood, or Jimi Hendrix, or Steve Clark, or Dee Dee Ramone, or Phil Lynott, or Elvis, or Janis Joplin, or Bradley Nowell, or GG Allin, or John Bonham. Why not?

What's the difference between putting a gun to your head and pulling the trigger, or repeatedly putting that needle in your arm, or drinking yourself to death? There's no difference at all! It's all suicide. But all those people I named are praised. Kurt Cobain is slammed repeatedly all over the net. It drives me batty. Cobain is no different than Hendrix.
First of all it was more the way the media oogled over him (I mean, MTV had three days straight of Cobain tributes and music videos), they went so overboard that I just got sick of Cobain this and Cobain that. Secondly, I view suicide differently than drug overdose. Sure drug use is stupid and hurts those around you, but even though a user is essentially killing himself or herself, they don't do it intending to end their life, and most of them (the ones you mentioned) didn't have any families to take care of. My biggest beef with Cobain was that he had a little baby daughter who had to grow up without a father and her mother is no prize for sure. All Cobain seemed to care about was himself. He was depressed and felt killing himself would end HIS misery. Did he even think of his baby girl? Suicide is a selfish solution that doesn't take into account the impact it has on those left behind.

The people you mentioned (Cobain included), I don't mind that they are lauded for their music, as long as they're condemed for their actions. While I hear talk about the overdoses of Hendrix, Joplin, Stanley, etc. I hear people talking about how bad drugs are. On the other hand instead of calling his suicide a cowardly action, many fans of his make up stories like "Courtney Love killed him so she could get his money" or "he was forced heroin into his body by his killer(s) who then shot him to make it look like suicide", and other excuses that deny the facts.
I don't see the difference. My father is a heroin addict, and he's been an alcoholic/drug abuser since I was 12 years old. You think he cared about anyone else? You think any of the people I mentioned above care about their families more than Cobain did? Pffft! It's all a selfish act, suicide or drug/alcohol abuse. I see no difference between putting a gun to your head and a needle in your arm. In fact, I'd rather deal with someone's suicide rather than spend 18 years worrying over their addictions. And generally addiction and suicide all stem from the same problem.

You're right, I am in NO WAY defending drug abuse, it is stupid and selfish as well. It is just that people acted like there was nothing wrong with Cobain's suicide (many people think that there is nothing wrong with suicide period) and I didn't see why people seemed to want to defend his actions no matter how much they liked his music.

I do not dwell over Cobain's death anymore, frankly I could care less. However, at the time I was upset that Cobain had an entire three days devoted to him on MTV while a year before, all Criss Oliva got was a small blurb on Headbanger's Ball (I understand that Nirvana was more popular than Savatage ever was, but I still hated that is was so). Cobain, who had some talent then kills himself, got all the publicity in the world while Criss, who had mega talent and was killed by a stupid drunk driver, couldn't even get the cover of Metal Maniacs, Metal Edge, or any other American metal magazines. I am of course over that now, but at the time I couldn't get over it.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb

PostSubject: Re: The 90's Rock Scene   The 90's Rock Scene - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 07, 2007 12:51 am

SAHB Healer wrote:

Only Living Witness
Muthas Day Out
Chum
Holy crap! I can't believe someone else has heard of Mutha's Day Out and Chum! I was just talking to Shiney the other day about Mutha's Day Out. That's one of my favorite CDs, such a great band for a bunch of kids. I actually met a few of those guys when I was stationed in Little Rock and had no idea who they were. It was months and months before I found out. They all look like mountain men now. You know the bands Chuck and Jeff are in now? Rwake and Deadbird are two of them. Sludge bands, basically.

Only Living Witness is another of my favorite bands! When I got out of the Air Force I took a waitering job at Joe's American Bar & Grill. Craig Silverman was the bar manager. Cool guy, but a dick at work.

And Chum! I'm impressed. I only own Dead To The World, but I love it. A few years back they were said to have reunited, but I have no idea what ever came of it.

Sugartooth had the song "Sold My Fortune," right? I should add that to my lala list. That's a disc I sold off in the Air Force. I did like it, too.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 90's Rock Scene   The 90's Rock Scene - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 07, 2007 1:06 am

DallasBlack wrote:
You're right, I am in NO WAY defending drug abuse, it is stupid and selfish as well. It is just that people acted like there was nothing wrong with Cobain's suicide (many people think that there is nothing wrong with suicide period) and I didn't see why people seemed to want to defend his actions no matter how much they liked his music.

I do not dwell over Cobain's death anymore, frankly I could care less. However, at the time I was upset that Cobain had an entire three days devoted to him on MTV while a year before, all Criss Oliva got was a small blurb on Headbanger's Ball (I understand that Nirvana was more popular than Savatage ever was, but I still hated that is was so). Cobain, who had some talent then kills himself, got all the publicity in the world while Criss, who had mega talent and was killed by a stupid drunk driver, couldn't even get the cover of Metal Maniacs, Metal Edge, or any other American metal magazines. I am of course over that now, but at the time I couldn't get over it.
It'll always be like that with the media. It's all about who would watch, who would read? Yeah, we'd all have liked some Savatage/Criss Oliva coverage, but we're few compared to how many wanted some Nirvana/Curt Cobain coverage. That's how that corner of the media goes. No sense in ever letting it get to you.

I hated that Jam Master Jay's murder got nearly no coverage, while Biggie and 2Pac's murders are mainstream stories to this day. Jam Master Jay and Run DMC brought rap to the mainstream; they're legends beyond legends in the hip hop world. But Run DMC aren't worth the mainstream media's time. But Biggie and 2Pac were controversial. That's how it goes.

Funny, too, the Insane Clown Posse have a part in a song that goes:

Meanwhile his record sells double and triple
Cuz of you whinin' 'bout him rubbin' his nipple
Religious? Sh*t, you helped them bands
Instead of helpin' them poor people
Eatin' outta them garbage cans
When your done with that, b*tch, come protest me
Sh*t muthaf**ka, I could use the money
The hole world was cryin' when Kurt Cobain went bang
When Eazy-E died, no, it wasn’t no thang
Rapper dies of aids, but you hardly mention
Rocker blows his face off and becomes a legend
Heroine and a shot gun and a hero was made
Maybe I should do that sh*t so J can get paid

lol!
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: The 90's Rock Scene   The 90's Rock Scene - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 07, 2007 1:19 am

Eyesore wrote:
SAHB Healer wrote:

Only Living Witness
Muthas Day Out
Chum
Holy crap! I can't believe someone else has heard of Mutha's Day Out and Chum! I was just talking to Shiney the other day about Mutha's Day Out. That's one of my favorite CDs, such a great band for a bunch of kids. I actually met a few of those guys when I was stationed in Little Rock and had no idea who they were. It was months and months before I found out. They all look like mountain men now. You know the bands Chuck and Jeff are in now? Rwake and Deadbird are two of them. Sludge bands, basically.

Love Mutha's Day Out, too bad they only had one album (I have it). Every song on Soul Is Wet is awesome, but my favorite without a doubt is Green (one of my favortite songs)
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: The 90's Rock Scene   The 90's Rock Scene - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 07, 2007 1:23 am

Eyesore wrote:
Funny, too, the Insane Clown Posse have a part in a song that goes:

Meanwhile his record sells double and triple
Cuz of you whinin' 'bout him rubbin' his nipple
Religious? Sh*t, you helped them bands
Instead of helpin' them poor people
Eatin' outta them garbage cans
When your done with that, b*tch, come protest me
Sh*t muthaf**ka, I could use the money
The hole world was cryin' when Kurt Cobain went bang
When Eazy-E died, no, it wasn’t no thang
Rapper dies of aids, but you hardly mention
Rocker blows his face off and becomes a legend
Heroine and a shot gun and a hero was made
Maybe I should do that sh*t so J can get paid

lol!

I like the lyric in Dream Theater-Let Me Breathe:

A daily dose of eMpTyV
Will flush your mind right down the drain
Shannon Hoon and Kurt Cobain,
Make yourself a household name

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 90's Rock Scene   The 90's Rock Scene - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 07, 2007 1:32 am

DallasBlack wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
SAHB Healer wrote:

Only Living Witness
Muthas Day Out
Chum
Love Mutha's Day Out, too bad they only had one album (I have it). Every song on Soul Is Wet is awesome, but my favorite without a doubt is Green (one of my favortite songs)
Yeah, Green is awesome. I've got some unreleased tunes. Anyone interested?
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: The 90's Rock Scene   The 90's Rock Scene - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 07, 2007 7:06 pm

Here's a few more staples from that time that I forgot to list

Non Fiction- In the Know
Sex Love & Money- ERA
Collision- Course

and just for fun:

Power Trio From Hell- American Man
Lock Up- Somthin' Bitchin' This Way Comes
Life Sex & Death (the Chris Stan put on band, great actually even though it was a schtick).
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: The 90's Rock Scene   The 90's Rock Scene - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 07, 2007 10:53 pm

Eyesore wrote:
I actually like their last album a lot, but that one flopped. It was a much more serious album, and no one cared because they like that goofy stuff from the early albums.
The people also don't care because it's LIMP BIZKIT. Rap-metal poster boys. They are sooooo 2000.

But don't worry, rap-metal's gonna come back fierce with a whole bunch of VH1 & VH1 Classic specials and Fred Durst will star on 'Rap-Rock of Love' in 2012.
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: The 90's Rock Scene   The 90's Rock Scene - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 07, 2007 11:10 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Why do so many people say this? It's always baffled me. No one says this about Layne Staley, or Bon Scott, or Andrew Wood, or Jimi Hendrix, or Steve Clark, or Dee Dee Ramone, or Phil Lynott, or Elvis, or Janis Joplin, or Bradley Nowell, or GG Allin, or John Bonham. Why not?

What's the difference between putting a gun to your head and pulling the trigger, or repeatedly putting that needle in your arm, or drinking yourself to death? There's no difference at all! It's all suicide. But all those people I named are praised. Kurt Cobain is slammed repeatedly all over the net. It drives me batty. Cobain is no different than Hendrix.

I've said this about everyone of them: None of these guys would be the legends they are today if they were alive today. In most cases of celebrity, death (regardless of reasons) tends to turn people into larger-than-life superheroes. Some of the people you mentioned wouldn't be at that level the public has set them at since their death and some probably wouldn't be considered legends at all. It's a good possibly they'd be "washed up" at this point not knowing when to retire (I think we've seen that quite often).

At some point, these artists would've have a few career missteps and the public would've moved on. Grunge was going to die with or without Nirvana & Kurt Cobain. A musical act is always just one album away from obscurity. Elvis would be putting out his 57th album this year (probably duets with contemporary artists, no doubt) on some back alley record label and no one would care.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: The 90's Rock Scene   The 90's Rock Scene - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 07, 2007 11:12 pm

Quote :
but it's not like writing about dwarves, elves and dragons is much cooler than writing about rollin' through the hood.

Excuse me?!?!?! I'm reaching for my steel now!

The 90's Rock Scene - Page 2 Sword
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 90's Rock Scene   The 90's Rock Scene - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 07, 2007 11:14 pm

scottmitchell74 wrote:
Quote :
but it's not like writing about dwarves, elves and dragons is much cooler than writing about rollin' through the hood.
Excuse me?!?!?! I'm reaching for my steel now!

The 90's Rock Scene - Page 2 Sword
lol!

We've discussed them before, but I'll say it again: NUDESWIRL! Killer band.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 90's Rock Scene   The 90's Rock Scene - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2007 2:44 am

Gotta add another band: KERBDOG!

Pulled their self-titled out tonight to give it a listen. First time I've listened to it in a while, and it's so damn good! I only own their self-titled and one of the two "Dummy Crusher" CD singles.

They're an alt-rock band from Ireland and they're outstanding. They released a second album called On The Turn, but I've never been able to find it. Seems like they got a bit poppier on that album, from the few tracks I've heard. They also have a bunch of CD and 7" singles with non-LP tracks. Not sure how many of you know this band, but if you've not heard them before, check out these:

DRY RISER (Video)
http://www.myspace.com/kerbdogmusic

"Dummy Crusher" and "Dry Riser" are from the self-titled, and they're killer songs, they remind me of Tad. The other two, well, they're OK, but too happy-sounding, it seems. These were the singles from the second album and they're the only two I've ever heard. The rest of the album could be heavy, but who knows.
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

PostSubject: Re: The 90's Rock Scene   The 90's Rock Scene - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2007 8:03 am

i will happily admit that i think Nirvanas Nevermind is a brilliant album and have always liked it
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: The 90's Rock Scene   The 90's Rock Scene - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2007 10:18 am

TheGooch wrote:
i will happily admit that i think Nirvanas Nevermind is a brilliant album and have always liked it

I thought I was alone in that opinion around here. Good to know I'm not the only one. Smile You can keep pretty much everything else Nirvana did, but NEVERMIND is indeed an excellent piece of work.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: The 90's Rock Scene   The 90's Rock Scene - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2007 10:30 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
TheGooch wrote:

I thought I was alone in that opinion around here. Good to know I'm not the only one. Smile You can keep pretty much everything else Nirvana did, but NEVERMIND is indeed an excellent piece of work.

I liked it back then too and I can still listen the songs today from time to time. I never disliked Nirvana's music I just got tired of the overplaying they did with their music after Cobain's death (some could argue before as well).
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: The 90's Rock Scene   The 90's Rock Scene - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2007 10:54 am

Good Topic

Nirvana- Bleach is their best IMO
Garbage- Version 2.0
Stone Temple Pilots- All
Foo Fighters- All
Veruca Salt
Elastica
Sonic Youth
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

PostSubject: Re: The 90's Rock Scene   The 90's Rock Scene - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2007 11:02 am

i gott admit i used to dig alien ant farm
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 90's Rock Scene   The 90's Rock Scene - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2007 1:44 pm

TheGooch wrote:

🤘

Me too! I always did like Nirvana. I don't get much into the other grunge bands though, but Nirvana is good.
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

PostSubject: Re: The 90's Rock Scene   The 90's Rock Scene - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2007 1:46 pm

Nirvana is good, if you like Nevermind i highly recommend Bleach, Especially if you like Metal as the album is Heavy but not Metal Heavy... You'd have to give it a spin... back in the 90s I was a big Nirvana fan
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 90's Rock Scene   The 90's Rock Scene - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2007 1:49 pm

Addy wrote:
Nirvana is good, if you like Nevermind i highly recommend Bleach, Especially if you like Metal as the album is Heavy but not Metal Heavy... You'd have to give it a spin... back in the 90s I was a big Nirvana fan

🤘

I have "Bleach". And I do like it ... but to me "Nevermind" is their best album. I also really like their third album too. Can't recall the name right now though. I don't own it anymore - but I should repurchase it.
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

PostSubject: Re: The 90's Rock Scene   The 90's Rock Scene - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2007 1:50 pm

Is it Incecticide or In utero?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 90's Rock Scene   The 90's Rock Scene - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2007 1:54 pm

"In Utero"! That's it!

Isnt' "Insecticide" like some kind of comp album? I thought they only did 3 studio albums ... am I right?
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

PostSubject: Re: The 90's Rock Scene   The 90's Rock Scene - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2007 1:57 pm

Incesticide is a collection of B-sides yeah but they did have a few good singles off of it.... Sliver being one of them

In Utero is actually in my cds in my car hehe

For me Nirvana CDs rank this way

Bleach
Incesticide
Nevermind
In Utero
S/T (GH with one awesome unreleased song)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The 90's Rock Scene   The 90's Rock Scene - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The 90's Rock Scene
Page 2 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next