Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The 90's Rock Scene

Go down 
+10
Addy
TheGooch
Metal Misfit
SAHB Healer
Thrasher73
candlemass
DallasBlack
EvyMetal
scottmitchell74
Fat Freddy
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage

The 90's Rock Scene Empty
PostSubject: The 90's Rock Scene   The 90's Rock Scene Icon_minitimeMon Nov 05, 2007 11:39 am

So in the nineties, metal went even further underground and wasn't prevelant in American culture. It seemed that the dominant genres were "grunge" type and "alternative" rock. During this period, I continued to listen to metal, but also enjoyed some of the bands of the day.

Some I liked from then were Helmet, Soundgarden, Barkmarket, Paw, Garbage, Mary's Danish, Veruca Salt, Elastica, Velocity Girl, etc etc.

I still listen to many of these bands today.

Were there any of those types of bands you liked or still like today?
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: The 90's Rock Scene   The 90's Rock Scene Icon_minitimeMon Nov 05, 2007 11:56 am

I liked L7, Soundgarden, and Alice In Chains a lot.

I still listen to Soul Asylum's "GRAVE DANCERS UNION" quite often as well.

Hell, I even like the dreaded Nirvana's "NEVERMIND"...
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: The 90's Rock Scene   The 90's Rock Scene Icon_minitimeMon Nov 05, 2007 11:56 am

Soundgarden for sure. Badmotorfinger to me is Metal....just metal....

Temple Of The Dog

Crux (punk)

Occassionally Pearl Jam

4 Non Blondes

Alannis Morrissette

That's about it for non-metal or "alt" from that era. I listed Soundgarden but I think that one album is very metal.....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 90's Rock Scene   The 90's Rock Scene Icon_minitimeMon Nov 05, 2007 12:04 pm

scottmitchell74 wrote:
Soundgarden for sure. Badmotorfinger to me is Metal....just metal....

I agree. Some weird form of bastardized metal.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 90's Rock Scene   The 90's Rock Scene Icon_minitimeMon Nov 05, 2007 1:30 pm

I still like a lot of stuff from this genre. I even like what it has morphed into today with nu metal, and modern rock.

Some of the artists I like from the 90s:

Korn
Nirvana
U2
The Toadies
Madonna (her 90s stuff is her best stuff, very electronic)
Depeche Mode
The Cure
Hole
REM
Prodigy
Nine Inch Nails
Marilyn Manson
Back to top Go down
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

PostSubject: Re: The 90's Rock Scene   The 90's Rock Scene Icon_minitimeMon Nov 05, 2007 4:19 pm

yeah i like soundgarden, alice in chains, redhot chili peppers
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 90's Rock Scene   The 90's Rock Scene Icon_minitimeMon Nov 05, 2007 6:17 pm

Another one I like quite well, although they are more mellow:

Savage Garden
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 90's Rock Scene   The 90's Rock Scene Icon_minitimeMon Nov 05, 2007 6:21 pm

Love the 90s stuff. Lots of killer bands! Some of my favorites: Stuck Mojo, Tad, Therapy?, Pearl Jam, Alice In Chains, Ugly Kid Joe, Life Of Agony, Live, L7, Babes In Toyland, Monster Magnet, Stone Temple Pilots, Sprung Monkey, and the list goes on...

A very underrated era of music, I think, at least in terms of true music fans' opinions.

Last edited by on Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 90's Rock Scene   The 90's Rock Scene Icon_minitimeMon Nov 05, 2007 6:23 pm

blackieboy wrote:
Another one I like quite well, although they are more mellow:

Savage Garden
lol!

There was a guy who worked in my office in Korea and he would play the hell out of their first album! I kept noticing this one song called "Keep On Dancing" or "Carry On" or some crap, and I liked it! So I bought that CD and their second one shortly after. They got traded on lala when I joined, brand new. Haha. I can't remember listening to them at all. They were in pristine condition.

But I do still dig that one song. :defleppard:
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 90's Rock Scene   The 90's Rock Scene Icon_minitimeMon Nov 05, 2007 6:26 pm

Yeah, I like pop stuff like this if it's done right. I also like Madonna and a few other pop artists. Not too many though.

LOL @ :defleppard:
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 90's Rock Scene   The 90's Rock Scene Icon_minitimeMon Nov 05, 2007 6:33 pm

Duran Duran is one of my very favorites.

Can I be a part of the :defleppard: club?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 90's Rock Scene   The 90's Rock Scene Icon_minitimeMon Nov 05, 2007 7:09 pm

Whoa now!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2THiMLJzx0

Totally gay! I smell a metal version somewhere in there.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 90's Rock Scene   The 90's Rock Scene Icon_minitimeMon Nov 05, 2007 7:15 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Whoa now!

I don't mind that song.

I would rather listen to that than anything that Ozzy Osbourne has released. Smile

But yeah, a metal version should be in order. The chord progression is very metal-ish.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 90's Rock Scene   The 90's Rock Scene Icon_minitimeMon Nov 05, 2007 7:23 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:

I still listen to Soul Asylum's "GRAVE DANCERS UNION" quite often as well.

Good album.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 90's Rock Scene   The 90's Rock Scene Icon_minitimeMon Nov 05, 2007 7:54 pm

spectrefate wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Whoa now!

I don't mind that song.

I would rather listen to that than anything that Ozzy Osbourne has released. Smile

But yeah, a metal version should be in order. The chord progression is very metal-ish.
Don't be fooled. Nothing else is like this song. Haha. Think Ultimatum would cover it?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 90's Rock Scene   The 90's Rock Scene Icon_minitimeMon Nov 05, 2007 8:01 pm

Eyesore wrote:

Don't be fooled. Nothing else is like this song. Haha. Think Ultimatum would cover it?

...with Amy Lee on guest vocals. Or maybe a duet with Scott. Like Lita Ford and Ozzy. Smile Wait Amy Lee's not metal enough. How about Anneke from The Gathering? Or that troll from screamo Arch Enemy?

Oops that last statement may make some people mad.

I'm OK with that. Cool
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: The 90's Rock Scene   The 90's Rock Scene Icon_minitimeTue Nov 06, 2007 12:04 am

Loved Alice In Chains-Facelift and Dirt (didn't care for the others), Faith No More, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam (only Ten), a few songs from Stone Temple Pilots, Ugly Kid Joe, Nirvana (up until Cobain offed himself and people treated him like a hero sick ), Soul Asylum, Collective Soul, Candlebox, some REM and a few others.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb

PostSubject: Re: The 90's Rock Scene   The 90's Rock Scene Icon_minitimeTue Nov 06, 2007 12:45 am

DallasBlack wrote:
Nirvana (up until Cobain offed himself and people treated him like a hero sick )
Why do so many people say this? It's always baffled me. No one says this about Layne Staley, or Bon Scott, or Andrew Wood, or Jimi Hendrix, or Steve Clark, or Dee Dee Ramone, or Phil Lynott, or Elvis, or Janis Joplin, or Bradley Nowell, or GG Allin, or John Bonham. Why not?

What's the difference between putting a gun to your head and pulling the trigger, or repeatedly putting that needle in your arm, or drinking yourself to death? There's no difference at all! It's all suicide. But all those people I named are praised. Kurt Cobain is slammed repeatedly all over the net. It drives me batty. Cobain is no different than Hendrix.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: The 90's Rock Scene   The 90's Rock Scene Icon_minitimeTue Nov 06, 2007 3:30 am

Eyesore wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:
Nirvana (up until Cobain offed himself and people treated him like a hero sick )
Why do so many people say this? It's always baffled me. No one says this about Layne Staley, or Bon Scott, or Andrew Wood, or Jimi Hendrix, or Steve Clark, or Dee Dee Ramone, or Phil Lynott, or Elvis, or Janis Joplin, or Bradley Nowell, or GG Allin, or John Bonham. Why not?

What's the difference between putting a gun to your head and pulling the trigger, or repeatedly putting that needle in your arm, or drinking yourself to death? There's no difference at all! It's all suicide. But all those people I named are praised. Kurt Cobain is slammed repeatedly all over the net. It drives me batty. Cobain is no different than Hendrix.

First of all it was more the way the media oogled over him (I mean, MTV had three days straight of Cobain tributes and music videos), they went so overboard that I just got sick of Cobain this and Cobain that. Secondly, I view suicide differently than drug overdose. Sure drug use is stupid and hurts those around you, but even though a user is essentially killing himself or herself, they don't do it intending to end their life, and most of them (the ones you mentioned) didn't have any families to take care of. My biggest beef with Cobain was that he had a little baby daughter who had to grow up without a father and her mother is no prize for sure. All Cobain seemed to care about was himself. He was depressed and felt killing himself would end HIS misery. Did he even think of his baby girl? Suicide is a selfish solution that doesn't take into account the impact it has on those left behind.

The people you mentioned (Cobain included), I don't mind that they are lauded for their music, as long as they're condemed for their actions. While I hear talk about the overdoses of Hendrix, Joplin, Stanley, etc. I hear people talking about how bad drugs are. On the other hand instead of calling his suicide a cowardly action, many fans of his make up stories like "Courtney Love killed him so she could get his money" or "he was forced heroin into his body by his killer(s) who then shot him to make it look like suicide", and other excuses that deny the facts.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb

PostSubject: Re: The 90's Rock Scene   The 90's Rock Scene Icon_minitimeTue Nov 06, 2007 6:30 am

A few more 90s artists I've thought of that I really like:

KMFDM
Bjork
The Breeders
Belly
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

PostSubject: Re: The 90's Rock Scene   The 90's Rock Scene Icon_minitimeTue Nov 06, 2007 7:10 am

Eyesore wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:

They did w/Morrison.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband

PostSubject: Re: The 90's Rock Scene   The 90's Rock Scene Icon_minitimeTue Nov 06, 2007 1:43 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:

First of all it was more the way the media oogled over him (I mean, MTV had three days straight of Cobain tributes and music videos), they went so overboard that I just got sick of Cobain this and Cobain that. Secondly, I view suicide differently than drug overdose. Sure drug use is stupid and hurts those around you, but even though a user is essentially killing himself or herself, they don't do it intending to end their life, and most of them (the ones you mentioned) didn't have any families to take care of. My biggest beef with Cobain was that he had a little baby daughter who had to grow up without a father and her mother is no prize for sure. All Cobain seemed to care about was himself. He was depressed and felt killing himself would end HIS misery. Did he even think of his baby girl? Suicide is a selfish solution that doesn't take into account the impact it has on those left behind.

The people you mentioned (Cobain included), I don't mind that they are lauded for their music, as long as they're condemed for their actions. While I hear talk about the overdoses of Hendrix, Joplin, Stanley, etc. I hear people talking about how bad drugs are. On the other hand instead of calling his suicide a cowardly action, many fans of his make up stories like "Courtney Love killed him so she could get his money" or "he was forced heroin into his body by his killer(s) who then shot him to make it look like suicide", and other excuses that deny the facts.
I don't see the difference. My father is a heroin addict, and he's been an alcoholic/drug abuser since I was 12 years old. You think he cared about anyone else? You think any of the people I mentioned above care about their families more than Cobain did? Pffft! It's all a selfish act, suicide or drug/alcohol abuse. I see no difference between putting a gun to your head and a needle in your arm. In fact, I'd rather deal with someone's suicide rather than spend 18 years worrying over their addictions. And generally addiction and suicide all stem from the same problem.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: The 90's Rock Scene   The 90's Rock Scene Icon_minitimeTue Nov 06, 2007 2:16 pm

Soundgarden
Alice in Chains
STP
Faith No More
Ugly Kid Joe
RHCP
Korn
Slipknot
Hell,I even went through a phase were I liked Limp Bizkit
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 90's Rock Scene   The 90's Rock Scene Icon_minitimeTue Nov 06, 2007 3:44 pm

thrasher73 wrote:
Hell,I even went through a phase were I liked Limp Bizkit
I'm still in that phase. Haha. For some reason I dig them. Actually, I don't like the debut much. It was too much of a bandwagon album. Lyrically the band could use an overhaul, but it's not like writing about dwarves, elves and dragons is much cooler than writing about rollin' through the hood. Haha.

I actually like their last album a lot, but that one flopped. It was a much more serious album, and no one cared because they like that goofy stuff from the early albums.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: The 90's Rock Scene   The 90's Rock Scene Icon_minitimeTue Nov 06, 2007 8:40 pm

Chocolate Starfish and Significant Other were regular players for me for quite a long while. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The 90's Rock Scene   The 90's Rock Scene Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The 90's Rock Scene
Page 1 of 6Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next