Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Love/Hate - BLACKOUT IN THE RED ROOM

Go down 
+7
tohostudios
the sentinel
rattpoison
Shiney
MetalGuy71
Thrasher73
Fat Freddy
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

Love/Hate - BLACKOUT IN THE RED ROOM - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Love/Hate - BLACKOUT IN THE RED ROOM   Love/Hate - BLACKOUT IN THE RED ROOM - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2008 4:53 pm

spectrefate wrote:

I think you have seen "Almost Famous" too many times. You sound a little like David Fricke. Smile

Laughing very hard lol! Laughing very hard

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: Love/Hate - BLACKOUT IN THE RED ROOM   Love/Hate - BLACKOUT IN THE RED ROOM - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2008 5:16 pm

Quote :
And ScottMitchell what genre am i a fanboy of.

Quote :
street walkin' blues/funk/punk/sleaze/metal.
Very Happy
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

PostSubject: Re: Love/Hate - BLACKOUT IN THE RED ROOM   Love/Hate - BLACKOUT IN THE RED ROOM - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2008 1:01 am

Doesn't matter if it had zero impact, it's an amazing album full of great songs. It's a bit flippant to call it a contractual fulfillment.

Blackout is the popular choice because its a great fun dope party rocker, everything is more accessible and catchy. But i don't tow the acceptable party line that this is these guys best album.

Wasted is more daring and ambitious in its arrangements, witness the twisted hiccupping rhythms in Happy Hour.
But from the intricate to the sublimely simple such as 'Don't F*ck With Me', a song that Axl wished 'One In A Million' could be.

Blackout might be the better below the waist album but Wasted is the defining album of this bunch of smart guys playing dumb.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Love/Hate - BLACKOUT IN THE RED ROOM   Love/Hate - BLACKOUT IN THE RED ROOM - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 10, 2011 8:35 am

Just randomly bumpin' this thread because I'm listening to this album right now and it still rules. headbanger

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Love/Hate - BLACKOUT IN THE RED ROOM   Love/Hate - BLACKOUT IN THE RED ROOM - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 10, 2011 8:38 am

I have always liked 'Black Out in the Red Room' album, it is full of what are M.I.A. board member Rattpoison called 'dope party rocker album' type songs, classic.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Love/Hate - BLACKOUT IN THE RED ROOM   Love/Hate - BLACKOUT IN THE RED ROOM - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 10, 2011 8:50 am

Oh yeah, this album (in fact the band's entire catalog) is basically a Cheech & Chong movie set to hard rock music. Laughing

I probably already told this story earlier in this thread (and if so, screw it, I'm too lazy to go read thru the whole thing to find out) but when I saw them live back in the 90s the guitarist sparked up a joint onstage and passed it to me! I tried to wave him away cuz I wasn't a smoker (not at that time anyway --though if it had been a few years earlier, I would've gladly partaken), so he motioned for me to pass it to the guy next to me. I did, and it went down the whole front row and then back up to him when it reached the other side of the stage.

Looking back I kinda wish I had taken a hit, just so that someday I could tell my grandchildren that I smoked with Jon E. Love of Love/Hate. They, of course, would say "Who the hell is Jon E. Love? Grandma!! Grampa needs his meds! He's not making any sense again!"
Laughing very hard

Last edited by Fat Freddy on Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Love/Hate - BLACKOUT IN THE RED ROOM   Love/Hate - BLACKOUT IN THE RED ROOM - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 10, 2011 8:51 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
Oh yeah, this album (in fact the band's entire catalog) is basically a Cheech & Chong movie set to hard rock music. Laughing

When I saw them live back in the 90s the guitarist sparked up a joint onstage and passed it to me! I tried to wave him away cuz I wasn't a smoker (not at that time anyway -- if it had been a few years earlier, I would've gladly partaken), so he motioned for me to pass it to the guy next to me. So I did, and it went down the whole front row and then back up to him when it reached the other side of the stage.

Laughing very hard

You have best rock stories of anyone I have meet
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Love/Hate - BLACKOUT IN THE RED ROOM   Love/Hate - BLACKOUT IN THE RED ROOM - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 10, 2011 8:53 am

manny wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

When I saw them live back in the 90s the guitarist sparked up a joint onstage and passed it to me! I tried to wave him away cuz I wasn't a smoker (not at that time anyway -- if it had been a few years earlier, I would've gladly partaken), so he motioned for me to pass it to the guy next to me. So I did, and it went down the whole front row and then back up to him when it reached the other side of the stage.

Laughing very hard

You have best rock stories of anyone I have meet

Thanx. My goal is to become the New Jersey equivalent of Chuck Klosterman, without the dorky glasses or the overall pretentiousness.

Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Love/Hate - BLACKOUT IN THE RED ROOM   Love/Hate - BLACKOUT IN THE RED ROOM - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2011 11:45 am

Great story. And thumbs up for the Klosterman goal. I love him and can hate him all in a few paragraphs of reading.

I actually came by Love/Hate - Blackout In The Red Room via my love of roller derby. There was some Saturday syndicated show on at the time called Rock N' Roller games that featured musical acts. I think that's what it was called- they had a giant wall and alligator pit. A lot different from the Espn roller derby I'd seen as a kid. For some reason despite seeing the ad for the album everywhere I thought they were a Enuff Z' Nuff type act. Which in those days I had no use for. Needless to say, once they started rocking out the title track on this cheesy show I was sold. Went out that night and bought it on cassette. Then wore it out and got it again. I'm currently on my second disc of it now.

Beyond any nostalgia, I honestly think the album has gotten better over the years.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Love/Hate - BLACKOUT IN THE RED ROOM   Love/Hate - BLACKOUT IN THE RED ROOM - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Love/Hate - BLACKOUT IN THE RED ROOM
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: