Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Love/Hate - BLACKOUT IN THE RED ROOM

Go down 
+7
tohostudios
the sentinel
rattpoison
Shiney
MetalGuy71
Thrasher73
Fat Freddy
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

Love/Hate - BLACKOUT IN THE RED ROOM Empty
PostSubject: Love/Hate - BLACKOUT IN THE RED ROOM   Love/Hate - BLACKOUT IN THE RED ROOM Icon_minitimeWed Oct 31, 2007 3:51 pm

Love/Hate - BLACKOUT IN THE RED ROOM Hate-blackoutintheredr

Anyone else here love this band/album as much as I do? Just dusted this one off for the first time in a while and DAMN it still kicks as much ass as it did in 1990 when it was first released. L/H kinda got lost in the shuffle among all the other sleaze bands that got signed in the wake of Guns N Roses but I feel that this is one of the best "lost gems" of the era.

I was lucky enough to see these guys live twice back in the day and they put on a heck of a good show too. But BOY did they like their weed. I left both venues with a contact high ... good times.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Love/Hate - BLACKOUT IN THE RED ROOM   Love/Hate - BLACKOUT IN THE RED ROOM Icon_minitimeWed Oct 31, 2007 3:53 pm

Yep one of my favorite albums. I picked it up as a new release in 90 and instantly loved it. Missed out sseing them with AC/DC in Cleveland as I was still a school boy, but that album still gets played to this day by me. In fact, I'm gonna listen to it now.

Good choice for a thread, FF.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Love/Hate - BLACKOUT IN THE RED ROOM   Love/Hate - BLACKOUT IN THE RED ROOM Icon_minitimeWed Oct 31, 2007 3:55 pm

spectrefate wrote:

Good choice for a thread, FF.

Thanks! Ya never know what I'm gonna dig up when I get in one of my "Now what haven't I listened to in a long time" moods. Smile

As long as I'm back here, what did you think of the second L/H album (WASTED IN AMERICA)? Just as good as the debut IMHO (in fact, I plan to take that one off the shelf tomorrow)... things got a little 'iffy' for me with the LET'S RUMBLE album, which had a few good tracks ("Spinning Wheel" = 🤘 ) but was nowhere near in the same ballpark as the first two. Then came I'M NOT HAPPY, which pretty much summed up my reaction when I first heard it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Love/Hate - BLACKOUT IN THE RED ROOM   Love/Hate - BLACKOUT IN THE RED ROOM Icon_minitimeWed Oct 31, 2007 4:02 pm

Yeah, your views on the other L/H albums pretty much match mine, but I liked Let's Rumble quite a bit. I am so afraid to get the "Let's Eat" album. But I'm so darn curious about it. What a Face Skid isn't on it, so it can be a toss up when Jizzy is in control.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Love/Hate - BLACKOUT IN THE RED ROOM   Love/Hate - BLACKOUT IN THE RED ROOM Icon_minitimeWed Oct 31, 2007 4:05 pm

I've never heard the last two L/H albums (LET'S EAT and LIVIN' OFF LAYLA) cuz of all the bad word of mouth they've gotten over the years. I understand that Jizzy isn't even on most of LIVIN OFF LAYLA, he had a fight with Skid midway thru the recording and split, so half the songs were sung by Marq Torien of BulletBoys (!!) filling in sick

Skid has a Love/Hate website where you can download MP3s of just about everything they ever released, but even for free, I don't think I wanna hear Marq Torien fronting Love/Hate.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Love/Hate - BLACKOUT IN THE RED ROOM   Love/Hate - BLACKOUT IN THE RED ROOM Icon_minitimeWed Oct 31, 2007 4:05 pm

Yep,Loves me some Love/Hate.BITBR is a great album.I was thinking about them a few days ago.Time to give it a spin.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Love/Hate - BLACKOUT IN THE RED ROOM   Love/Hate - BLACKOUT IN THE RED ROOM Icon_minitimeWed Oct 31, 2007 4:13 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:

Skid has a Love/Hate website where you can download MP3s of just about everything they ever released, but even for free, I don't think I wanna hear Marq Torien fronting Love/Hate.

I forgot about Livin Off Layla.

I think I forgot that one because I too don't want to hear anyone but Jizzy singing for L/H.

I like the Bulletboys but Marq Torien is a hack. He took over the vocal spot after Mark Free left King Kobra. Of course that spawned Bulletboys with Lonnie Vencent and Mick Sweda who were with Marq in KK at that time.

........stop typing Brian
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Love/Hate - BLACKOUT IN THE RED ROOM   Love/Hate - BLACKOUT IN THE RED ROOM Icon_minitimeWed Oct 31, 2007 4:15 pm

spectrefate wrote:

I like the Bulletboys but Marq Torien is a hack.

Never liked the BB's much. "Smooth Up" was an OK song but the rest of it is so bitten off of Dave-era VH that it's like listening to a poor Xerox copy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Love/Hate - BLACKOUT IN THE RED ROOM   Love/Hate - BLACKOUT IN THE RED ROOM Icon_minitimeWed Oct 31, 2007 4:18 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:

Never liked the BB's much. "Smooth Up" was an OK song but the rest of it is so bitten off of Dave-era VH that it's like listening to a poor Xerox copy

I agree, but I have a soft spot for Mick Sweda's playing because of my affection for King Kobra.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Love/Hate - BLACKOUT IN THE RED ROOM   Love/Hate - BLACKOUT IN THE RED ROOM Icon_minitimeWed Oct 31, 2007 4:27 pm

I got the other two, but not this one.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Love/Hate - BLACKOUT IN THE RED ROOM   Love/Hate - BLACKOUT IN THE RED ROOM Icon_minitimeWed Oct 31, 2007 4:27 pm

Eyesore wrote:

You NEED this one. Put it on your Lala want list if you haven't already. You'll thank me. Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Love/Hate - BLACKOUT IN THE RED ROOM   Love/Hate - BLACKOUT IN THE RED ROOM Icon_minitimeWed Oct 31, 2007 5:04 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
You NEED this one. Put it on your Lala want list if you haven't already. You'll thank me. Smile
Yeah, it's on there. I forgot they had more than just the two I own. I have Wasted In America, Let's Rumble, and a one-track promo single.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Love/Hate - BLACKOUT IN THE RED ROOM   Love/Hate - BLACKOUT IN THE RED ROOM Icon_minitimeWed Oct 31, 2007 5:12 pm

Never a big fan of the music. It was ok I guess, but I am a fan of Jizzy Pearl's writing. Has anyone read his books? It's pretty cool, funny, dark stuff. Some of it is autobiographical (growing up in the 70's, partying, etc.), some is pure fiction, and some occasional poetry. He's like a low-rent Henry Rollins.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Love/Hate - BLACKOUT IN THE RED ROOM   Love/Hate - BLACKOUT IN THE RED ROOM Icon_minitimeWed Oct 31, 2007 5:22 pm

He just put out a new solo album, or is about to.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Love/Hate - BLACKOUT IN THE RED ROOM   Love/Hate - BLACKOUT IN THE RED ROOM Icon_minitimeWed Oct 31, 2007 5:28 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
I am a fan of Jizzy Pearl's writing.

Yeah his Love/Hate biographical stuff is pretty funny. Like when Love/Hate started as a Duran Duran type band (with a different name and image, of course).
Back to top Go down
Shiney
Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

Number of posts : 3487

PostSubject: Re: Love/Hate - BLACKOUT IN THE RED ROOM   Love/Hate - BLACKOUT IN THE RED ROOM Icon_minitimeWed Oct 31, 2007 7:16 pm

This is a classic, IMO....I like all their material even "I'M NOT HAPPY"

PostSubject: Re: Love/Hate - BLACKOUT IN THE RED ROOM   Love/Hate - BLACKOUT IN THE RED ROOM Icon_minitimeWed Oct 31, 2007 7:18 pm

Shiney wrote:
This is a classic, IMO....I like all their material even "I'M NOT HAPPY"

You have ears of steel. listening to music

Nah, it's not that bad, I guess.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

PostSubject: Re: Love/Hate - BLACKOUT IN THE RED ROOM   Love/Hate - BLACKOUT IN THE RED ROOM Icon_minitimeThu Nov 01, 2007 12:31 am

This band and this album is beyond classic, the first 3 Love/Hate albums are the best string of albums by a musical entity ever! Love/Hate along with Redd Kross, Manic Street Preachers, The Dictators and Thin Lizzy are my all time favourite bands, i cannot rate them high enough. Blackout is always the popular choice when choosing a L/H album, but Wasted In America just smokes it and practically anything else for that matter. Wasted In America is the crowning glory and last great album of 14 years of Californian Hard Rock (Van Halen's 1978 S/T effort kicked it off). Wasted In America is just one brilliantly twisted alloy of blues, punk, funk, sleaze and metal. It's in essence a thinking man's party rock with its wry social comment on American society at the time. Wasted In America and Blackout smoke Guns N' Roses Appetite For Destruction because it just doesn't care, but Love/Hate were too late on the scene to make any real impact. Those first 2 Love/Hate albums and 3 others i rank higher than Appetite in operating in that loose genre in the late 80's early 90's of street walkin' sleazy glam/blues/punk/funk/metal.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Love/Hate - BLACKOUT IN THE RED ROOM   Love/Hate - BLACKOUT IN THE RED ROOM Icon_minitimeThu Nov 01, 2007 8:39 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Never a big fan of the music. It was ok I guess, but I am a fan of Jizzy Pearl's writing. Has anyone read his books? It's pretty cool, funny, dark stuff. Some of it is autobiographical (growing up in the 70's, partying, etc.), some is pure fiction, and some occasional poetry. He's like a low-rent Henry Rollins.

I read an excerpt from one of his books (I believe it was his first one, "I Got More Crickets Than Friends") years ago in Metal Edge magazine, it was good stuff, but I never got around to checking out any more of his work. It looks like it'd be a fun read.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Love/Hate - BLACKOUT IN THE RED ROOM   Love/Hate - BLACKOUT IN THE RED ROOM Icon_minitimeSat Nov 03, 2007 8:15 pm

Awesome stuff!!!!
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

PostSubject: Re: Love/Hate - BLACKOUT IN THE RED ROOM   Love/Hate - BLACKOUT IN THE RED ROOM Icon_minitimeSat Mar 01, 2008 2:01 am

Read an interesting article on Love/Hate in a recent Classic Rock mag. Apparently Jizzy was considered to play Jim Morrison in the Doors movie, Penelope Spheeris (Decline, Wayne's World) put his name to Oliver Stone. He met Oliver Stone but obviously Val Kilmer got the gig. Also Ian Astbury was numero uno choice for the gig but turned it down due to he didn't like how Morrison was portrayed.

Here's a CNN news report of when Love/Hate hung Jizzy from the Hollywood sign, i kid you not. Check out the Budweiser cans cross.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOwKav3WR6Y
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Love/Hate - BLACKOUT IN THE RED ROOM   Love/Hate - BLACKOUT IN THE RED ROOM Icon_minitimeSat Mar 01, 2008 8:45 am

rattpoison wrote:

Here's a CNN news report of when Love/Hate hung Jizzy from the Hollywood sign, i kid you not. Check out the Budweiser cans cross.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOwKav3WR6Y

I remember this stunt! Not the brightest idea (I believe Jiz did some time in jail for it) but hilariously cool nonetheless.

That "Budweiser cans cross" was something of an L/H trademark. I saw them live a few times and they'd always open the set by marching out onstage, Jizzy leading the charge, holding that Bud Cross high!!

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat

Last edited by Fat Freddy on Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Love/Hate - BLACKOUT IN THE RED ROOM   Love/Hate - BLACKOUT IN THE RED ROOM Icon_minitimeSat Mar 01, 2008 9:21 am

This is a great album. Some silly lyrics though. "Let me touch your cookies."

Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: Love/Hate - BLACKOUT IN THE RED ROOM   Love/Hate - BLACKOUT IN THE RED ROOM Icon_minitimeSat Mar 01, 2008 9:32 am

You jerks have recently opened up a whole new siphon/pit of despair for my money!! Stop it!! angry

Rattboy, Gojira, Frederick, Shinehead and Spectaecles - you guys are the main culprits! You'e killing my Powermetal and Thrash acquisition plans!

(rushes off to LaLa and Ebay, weeping tears of furious joy and longing.....)
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Love/Hate - BLACKOUT IN THE RED ROOM   Love/Hate - BLACKOUT IN THE RED ROOM Icon_minitimeSat Mar 01, 2008 10:55 am

Scott: Love/Hate CDs are money well spent. You'll thank us later.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Love/Hate - BLACKOUT IN THE RED ROOM   Love/Hate - BLACKOUT IN THE RED ROOM Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Love/Hate - BLACKOUT IN THE RED ROOM
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next