Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

I get sick of people.....

Go down 
+34
powermacho
kmorg
Metal Misfit
Troublezone
EvyMetal
TrogDawn
tohostudios
UltraMagnus007
exact33
Stender
journeyman
jstate
Tall Tyrion
Chairman_Smith
MetalGuy71
candlemass
Fat Freddy
ultmetal
T-Roy
mc666
spiritoradio
thejokeriv
Wargod
SAHB Healer
the sentinel
Thrasher73
TheGooch
KissinMaiden
Required Fields
DallasBlack
sovdat
ghost
scottmitchell74
krokus
38 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage

I get sick of people..... - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: I get sick of people.....   I get sick of people..... - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 05, 2008 2:01 pm

I dont think people in general realize yet how much downloading is hurting the music industry (or whats left of it). One reason may be that alot of the older bands and artists are still at it - musicians that people remember. I think the true width of the problem will be there to see once the old guards retire and we are left with a bunch of underground bands that could never make a living out of their craft alone.

People say "Where are all the new Rock Stars?" Well, in order to be a "Rock Star" you have to sell albums!
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: I get sick of people.....   I get sick of people..... - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 05, 2008 2:51 pm

I hate downloaders. Straight up, I remember ult saying on his nolifetilmetal once that he spends a lot of money on his collection, and you should too. The only times I ever put music on my computer is samples off blastbeats or something like that to see if I like a bands style. I also always go for originals over re-issues. I dont lend out or burn my CD's for friends. The only times I will ever want to get a CDR is if I looking for a demo thats impossible to get an original of.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: I get sick of people.....   I get sick of people..... - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 05, 2008 2:55 pm

I download everything for free. Paying is for suckers. I'd rather spend my hard earned money on my meth addiction.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: I get sick of people.....   I get sick of people..... - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 05, 2008 3:25 pm

DallasBlack wrote:

I've worked in customer service for a total of over 8 years so you KNOW, that I get sick of people.

If it wasnt for all those people calling it would be a great job!!!

Alex

UltraMagnus007
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
UltraMagnus007

Number of posts : 282

PostSubject: Re: I get sick of people.....   I get sick of people..... - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 05, 2008 5:44 pm

Illegal downloading sucks. Doesn't matter how passionate you are about music, how much of a true metal fan you are or how many cd's you own. If you own a downloaded album you didn't pay for and have no intention of buying then you have stolen music.

I don't subscribe to this try before you buy ethic either. No one did this 20 years ago before the internet existed.
Back to top Go down
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

PostSubject: Re: I get sick of people.....   I get sick of people..... - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 05, 2008 5:59 pm

But when some of us DL as I do I am also DLing alot of 70's hard rock that will never available on cd. Alot of what is from the 70's is ripped from vinyl so therefore I grab it.
At one time I had well over 2000 albums on vinyl and I'd say at least 80% of it will never be on cd or remastered most of it was obscure stuff. And what of the other 20% I have now bought on cd.

I think there are those who will never buy because of what Krokus started out saying it's free. I think DL has it's positives and minuses.

But I for support and buy cds almost weekly if I can. I buy from The End, Sentinel Steel, Lasers Edge, CD Baby, CD Inzane, CD Universe, Nightmare Records, a friend who does a little business on the side.

So I think it is good to support the bands and then if you are not able to find that cd if it is limited in pressings or OOP then yes I DL.

I have a collection od cds that number well over 7000 so I think I do my part in supporting the artists!

Wargod48

NP: Windrow - Trilogy
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: I get sick of people.....   I get sick of people..... - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 05, 2008 6:18 pm

I agree with Wargod. The only stuff I DL is music that will never see a CD release. Besides if something I DL'd somehow does make it to CD, I'll buy the CD anyway because I want the artwork, lyrics, etc. That's what happened with Nantucket. I DL'd some stuff from them then Wounded Bird Records released their first 3 on CD and I snatched up all three.

And I have over 3000 CDs so I do my part to support the artists as well.

PostSubject: Re: I get sick of people.....   I get sick of people..... - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 05, 2008 6:22 pm

i only download what i get from band members......
Back to top Go down
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Number of posts : 3367

PostSubject: Re: I get sick of people.....   I get sick of people..... - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 05, 2008 6:39 pm

UltraMagnus007 wrote:

I don't subscribe to this try before you buy ethic either. No one did this 20 years ago before the internet existed.

Sure we did. Tape trading went on all the time in the 80's I found out about a bunch of bands that way.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: I get sick of people.....   I get sick of people..... - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 05, 2008 6:42 pm

Tall Tyrion wrote:
UltraMagnus007 wrote:

Sure we did. Tape trading went on all the time in the 80's I found out about a bunch of bands that way.

Yep, I traded lots of tapes. I also only patronized CD shops that let me listen to a CD before I bought it.

PostSubject: Re: I get sick of people.....   I get sick of people..... - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 05, 2008 7:19 pm

Tall Tyrion wrote:
UltraMagnus007 wrote:

It sure did. Not only that, the practices of labels weren't as shady back then. In order to make money, they had to release a good product. That changed when they could flood the market with singles that were directed toward the non-music fan, those people that don't care about anything on the CD outside of that single.

I would be glad to just buy an album blind—and still do often enough—but I've been burned far too often with misleading singles.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: I get sick of people.....   I get sick of people..... - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 05, 2008 8:23 pm

Tall Tyrion wrote:
UltraMagnus007 wrote:

and tape trading benefited bands a lot too. I traded tapes and bought the material when i could find. I discovered a lot of bands that way and bought tapes and then cds when they came out. The record companies today are so up at arms because it is a lot easier to trade than ever before and people are not buying after they listen. I buy a lot of cds (not a much as some on this board but its enough) and I mainly listen to myspace now for songs before I buy. Previous to myspace I would downloand and I if I dont like something than i wouldnt keep the mp3s and didnt buy it. If I like it I would buy/trade for it. If you download and buy there is no stealing going on. you get to listen to the music and the record label/artist gets their cut.

Alex

TrogDawn
Janitor of the Void
TrogDawn

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: I get sick of people.....   I get sick of people..... - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 05, 2008 8:28 pm

I get sick of people..... - Page 4 288219
Back to top Go down
https://bandcamp.com/stonegrooverecords/following
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

PostSubject: Re: I get sick of people.....   I get sick of people..... - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 05, 2008 9:05 pm

Stender wrote:
I hate downloaders. Straight up, I remember ult saying on his nolifetilmetal once that he spends a lot of money on his collection, and you should too. The only times I ever put music on my computer is samples off blastbeats or something like that to see if I like a bands style. I also always go for originals over re-issues. I dont lend out or burn my CD's for friends. The only times I will ever want to get a CDR is if I looking for a demo thats impossible to get an original of.

I agree.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: I get sick of people.....   I get sick of people..... - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 05, 2008 9:34 pm

Personally i would download off of a artist that is swimming in money like Metallica but i would not for struggling bands that i like and WANT to support. That's the differance to me. Rich bands rip off the consumer by keeping the product expensive when there is no need because they are more than set for life finacially.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: I get sick of people.....   I get sick of people..... - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 05, 2008 9:51 pm

Metallica are greedy bastards!!! This is what i'm talking about in my post above regarding those rich a##hole's.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=94291
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: I get sick of people.....   I get sick of people..... - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 05, 2008 9:56 pm

I think that the downloading thing is way out of control but at the same time the record industry and bands like Metallica have been screwing the fans for years with outrageous prices for cd's and concert tickets.
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: I get sick of people.....   I get sick of people..... - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 05, 2008 10:29 pm

Hm... Just where did I put my Chanel sunglasses... scratch
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I get sick of people.....   I get sick of people..... - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 06, 2008 12:16 am

Troublezone-should all those who make a lot of money in business give product away? Should rich movie stars act in movies for free? Maybe Bill Gates should just give software away? They have the right to make money and not have their craft taken without payment. Since we live in a mostly capitalistic society prices will be what the market will hold and the bands really have little to do with how high the prices for cd's are. You don't have to like how Metallica goes about business that's your choice, but they aren't different then anyone else who is successful.
I'm not trying to fight either, just raising some points.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: I get sick of people.....   I get sick of people..... - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 06, 2008 12:51 am

I didn't mean give their music away, i meant... When they get to a certain level of success maybe they should reduce the amount they charge for a cd or a ticket to a concert. I didn't mean for them to give anything for free but if they cared about the fans that made them who they are (which they obviously don't), they would give back a little you know?? You know what... i think it's pretty sad that some lower on the totem pole bands that actually need some money give free downloads to their fans like Stuck Mojo for example.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I get sick of people.....   I get sick of people..... - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 06, 2008 2:10 am

troublezone wrote:
Metallica are greedy bastards!!! This is what i'm talking about in my post above regarding those rich a##hole's.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=94291
I don't quite see how this is greedy. I laugh at the notion that people would act any different. The simple fact is that while a band like Metallica might be a money-making enterprise, they're also a money-draining enterprise. In order for these rich a-holes to be "set for life," they'd have to flat out retire. If today Metallica stopped accepting any profit, and did everything for free, they'd be flat broke in five years.
Back to top Go down
TrogDawn
Janitor of the Void
TrogDawn

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: I get sick of people.....   I get sick of people..... - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 06, 2008 3:59 am

St Patrik wrote:
once the old guards retire and we are left with a bunch of underground bands that could never make a living out of their craft alone.
Good, because as soon as a band starts to rely on their music as their source of income, the music no longer matters and aural sewage that should never be heard by human ears gets produced and mass marketed for the sake of the cash flow. Making music and making money don't last as a viable combination for very long.

Screw the majors, screw the RIAA - stay independent. grim reaper
Back to top Go down
https://bandcamp.com/stonegrooverecords/following

PostSubject: Re: I get sick of people.....   I get sick of people..... - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 06, 2008 5:01 am

Tall Tyrion wrote:
UltraMagnus007 wrote:

The difference (ripping off) isnt big, however the consequences today are much wider as its up on the internet for ALL to download. Back then it was a case of friends to friends, and certain contacts.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: I get sick of people.....   I get sick of people..... - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 06, 2008 6:06 am

troublezone wrote:

Again, Bill Gates has enough money, should Microsoft product be cheaper then? What about all the other people working for Microsoft, should they get paid less too, just becasue Bill has enough? How about all the people working for Metallica? Yes, let's pay them less, becasue the Metallica enterprice is doin' so well! Jeez, that is just ridiculous!

Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: I get sick of people.....   I get sick of people..... - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 06, 2008 10:13 am

Wow! Nice sum of money.

I don't see how getting 1.6 million for a concert makes them greedy. If they are attracting enough of a crowd to generate that sort of income, more power to 'em.

PostSubject: Re: I get sick of people.....   I get sick of people..... - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I get sick of people.....
Page 4 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next