Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

I get sick of people.....

Go down 
+34
powermacho
kmorg
Metal Misfit
Troublezone
EvyMetal
TrogDawn
tohostudios
UltraMagnus007
exact33
Stender
journeyman
jstate
Tall Tyrion
Chairman_Smith
MetalGuy71
candlemass
Fat Freddy
ultmetal
T-Roy
mc666
spiritoradio
thejokeriv
Wargod
SAHB Healer
the sentinel
Thrasher73
TheGooch
KissinMaiden
Required Fields
DallasBlack
sovdat
ghost
scottmitchell74
krokus
38 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Chairman_Smith
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

Number of posts : 1636

I get sick of people..... - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: I get sick of people.....   I get sick of people..... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 24, 2007 12:00 pm

I only download out of print albums and bootlegs.
Back to top Go down
Chairman_Smith
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

PostSubject: Re: I get sick of people.....   I get sick of people..... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 24, 2007 12:09 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
I am album oriented. I tend to like to listen to an entire album of a band.

Me too... though in this day and age it seems like folks like us are a dying breed, brother 🤘

Oh man, I gotta have the albums. I have an Iced Earth compilation I bought on accident that I never listen to... wny? Because Melancholy doesn't follow Burning Times. Gotta have that album flow!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I get sick of people.....   I get sick of people..... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 24, 2007 12:21 pm

ultmetal wrote:
T-Roy wrote:
I think we should all still drive horses....instead of cars too. lol!

Personally I don't see MP3s and downloading as an advancement. Even the best MP3 still won't sound as good as an actual CD pressing of an album. Also, I see the packaging as part of the whole thing. I don't mind people downloading, but I don't see buying CDs as going backwards, as in "riding horses instead of driving cars." I just see it as a matter of preference.

I prefer a hard copy of the album. I am album oriented. I tend to like to listen to an entire album of a band. The download generation seems to be more interested in the "hit song". In the 70's through the 1990's, the hit song grabbed your attention and then you purchased the album/tape/CD and checked out the rest of the album. Now it's just about downloading that one song and not really caring about the artist in general. Of course, that's not true of everyone who downloads, but I do see that a lot with my teenage kids and their friends.

I have downloaded a few songs by bands to check them out. Don't think I have ever illegally downloaded anything. If I like a band, I buy their CDs.

I agree with this 100%. MP3's are not an advancement over cds any more than cassette tapes are. It's something the record industry is 'pushing' to eliminate the hassles of making a 'hard copy' - but it will never work entirely. Most true music fans want 'something' that is tangible. They need the artwork. Something they can hold. That is why the Itunes market has been in business for almost a decade and cds have not been wiped out. It will never work entirely.

The 'art' is more than just the music. It's the packaging as well.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I get sick of people.....   I get sick of people..... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 24, 2007 12:35 pm

By the way, I do want to make myself clear that I am not against anyone else downloading legally. I just prefer the hard copy like Ult. I always will.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: I get sick of people.....   I get sick of people..... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 24, 2007 12:59 pm

Hard copies are necessary to any music collecter IMO. However, I do have an MP3 player and have all my music on my computer but the reasons for that are simple. If something happens to my CDs I will always have back up. Also with a large collection of CDs I like to make long playlists with multiple bands and albums so I can listen to a large variety of music (on shuffle). Also an MP3 player allows me to listen to music at work and on the go without lugging a bunch of CDs around with me.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: I get sick of people.....   I get sick of people..... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 24, 2007 1:26 pm

I should clarify my position....I love my CDs...but I love my MP3 player as well. Didn't we all wish we could run the local Radio Station when we were kids? (or even now?) Thinking things like "If I was DJ all's they would have is _____". Well, my MP3 player on shuffle is exactly that. Until I upgrade to one with more space the one I have now has 850 of my all-time favorite songs on it. They pop up randomly so it's like a radio station only w/out commercials and crap I don't want to hear.....
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: I get sick of people.....   I get sick of people..... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 24, 2007 2:09 pm

scottmitchell74 wrote:
I should clarify my position....I love my CDs...but I love my MP3 player as well. Didn't we all wish we could run the local Radio Station when we were kids? (or even now?) Thinking things like "If I was DJ all's they would have is _____". Well, my MP3 player on shuffle is exactly that. Until I upgrade to one with more space the one I have now has 850 of my all-time favorite songs on it. They pop up randomly so it's like a radio station only w/out commercials and crap I don't want to hear.....

Here, Here. At my second part-time job I mentioned to this kid (teenager) that was working there that radio sucks and that is why I listen to my MP3 player. He tried to convince me that the radio didn't suck (he said "I like to argue with people like you"). I gave him my position and I think he realized that he wasn't going to convince me. Like a lot of people, I believe he is a fairweather music fan and likes anything he hears, which is great if you want others to decide what you listen to, but us metal heads love our music too much to have others decide for us. I listen to some radio but I much prefer to listen to my music on my terms. It's not worth listening to two or three songs you don't care about just to hear one you do.
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

PostSubject: Re: I get sick of people.....   I get sick of people..... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 24, 2007 3:28 pm

hear hear

why would i listen to radio when i can listen to good stuff instead of the rubbish on radio as in enggland there is no rock radio except on digital
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

PostSubject: Re: I get sick of people.....   I get sick of people..... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 24, 2007 5:27 pm

T-Roy wrote:
spectrefate wrote:
T-Roy wrote:
EXACTUALLY!!

Look, don't get me wrong, I get the point, however, this issue has been
hammered time and time again on this board. I think we can all agree,
that downloading illegally is, well, illegal! Saying that me buying
digital music instead of hard copies is ruining the industry?! Give me
a break. You know what I DESPISE?? People that think their way....is
the "pure" way. Very Happy

The
original purpose of this thread, I believe, is to vent about those who
download illegally. Folks like T-Roy and thousands of others are going
the right route. Some (me) prefer actual CDs, others (my wife) don't
like clutter. Tomato tomaato. Nasty Savage kick
a$$!
Yes it was, but then, as usual, it didn't stop
there. Krokus had to continue to insinuate that digital period, hurts
collectors and the bands, I'm I correct Krok? Sorry if I'm
misinterpreting, but that's what I heard.

I was talking only about ilegal downloading (and all the time, never buying cd´s) but maybe i forgot to say that legal downloading is okay because at least the record company gets money to keep paing the band etc...You are not misinterpreting anything, it just that i didnt explain my self right.
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

PostSubject: Re: I get sick of people.....   I get sick of people..... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 24, 2007 5:28 pm

candlemass wrote:
I get sick of people who get sick of people! I get sick of people..... - Page 3 543534

But then you get sick of people too lol! and then you are sick of your self Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

PostSubject: Re: I get sick of people.....   I get sick of people..... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 24, 2007 5:31 pm

scottmitchell74 wrote:
Quote :
I prefer a hard copy of the album. I am album oriented.

I'm not a collector per se - so I'm not driven by that need for all the elements of the CD and art from a collectors POV...but when I buy music I like to have all the elements. I like the CD experience. I love the unwrapping and opening of the package. I like the lyric booklet and the art. When I was a kid/teenage I spent countless hours going over the lyrics, art and the "thanks" of the inserts.

I have downloaded via purchase exactly 18 songs. I do this only when there's just this one single song I love from an album I know is otherwise not my thing. But 99.9% of the songs I own are on a silver press or a cassette (or record or 8-track) somewhere in my house.....

I love the unwrapping and opening of package too, and love to talk about what i bought on the net and write everything down in a book that i have etc....its all part of the ritual. Also love to listen to a cd or lp for the first time ever.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: I get sick of people.....   I get sick of people..... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 24, 2007 6:22 pm

Yep! Each cd in the mail is like a mini-Christmas or birthday event. Unwrapping yet another precious gift to myself!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I get sick of people.....   I get sick of people..... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 24, 2007 7:01 pm

Yeah, I listen to my mp3 too! But that doesn't mean I don't have a cd sitting in my vault! I actually have a whole room in my house dedicated to my cds! It's my CD vault!

But yeah, I download my cds to my mp3 player when I'm taking a walk or working in my backyard. I love my mp3 player!

However, unlike most people, I don't mix and match my songs on my mp3 player. I think I'm the only person I know who actually listens to FULL ALBUMS on my mp3 player! I'm WAY an album kind of guy. I just never do the 'random' thing.

I also never skip songs on cds. Even if it's not a favorite. It's a ritual for me to listen to a cd in the order it was created to be heard. I'm a bit of a music connoisour that way.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I get sick of people.....   I get sick of people..... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 24, 2007 7:02 pm

scottmitchell74 wrote:
Yep! Each cd in the mail is like a mini-Christmas or birthday event. Unwrapping yet another precious gift to myself!

laughing

I agree. I feel the same way! I usually always have something new coming in too (my wife just let me increase my cd budget to $120.00 a month, so that means MORE MORE MORE!!!)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I get sick of people.....   I get sick of people..... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 24, 2007 7:05 pm

MY PRECCCIOUS PRECCCCIOUS CDS!!!!

I get sick of people..... - Page 3 Gollum
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: I get sick of people.....   I get sick of people..... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 24, 2007 7:50 pm

Very Happy
Quote :

I also never skip songs on cds.

I was like this until about 2 years ago when I decided life was too short to suffer through songs I don't like for reasons very closely associated with OCD....so I made the effort (and succeeded) to learn to use the skip button. NOW, I do it with extreme prejudice!
Back to top Go down
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Number of posts : 3367

PostSubject: Re: I get sick of people.....   I get sick of people..... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 24, 2007 8:06 pm

I get sick of people too!

Oh wait......... what?

lol!
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: I get sick of people.....   I get sick of people..... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 24, 2007 8:34 pm

I need the actual cd myself and consider it a complete package. Plus half of the fun is going to all those record shops and combing through everything. The thrill of the hunt. Downloading (legal or otherwise) just doesn't provide me that.
Back to top Go down
journeyman
Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

PostSubject: Re: I get sick of people.....   I get sick of people..... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 24, 2007 9:29 pm

If at all possible I want the CD. Not sure why i only rip it to itunes for use on my ipod anyway, but there is no way i'd buy it from itunes. I pine for the days of browsing the record stores for that "cool" album. I haven't adapted very well, cause I usually don't buy new releases unless it is from a band I already know. I used to make a ritual to check out the record shops at least weekly. Now what.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I get sick of people.....   I get sick of people..... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 25, 2007 1:44 am

scottmitchell74 wrote:
Very Happy
Quote :

I was like this until about 2 years ago when I decided life was too short to suffer through songs I don't like for reasons very closely associated with OCD....so I made the effort (and succeeded) to learn to use the skip button. NOW, I do it with extreme prejudice!

Well, the cds I allow in my collection don't have songs I don't like. If I have a cd with more than 2 songs I don't like on it - I trade it off.

So in a sense, I agree with you. But since I only keep my favorite cds - there is not a need for me to skip tracks. It's not like I listen to songs I don't like.
Back to top Go down
Chairman_Smith
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

PostSubject: Re: I get sick of people.....   I get sick of people..... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 25, 2007 4:47 am

blackieboy wrote:
scottmitchell74 wrote:
Very Happy
Quote :

Well, the cds I allow in my collection don't have songs I don't like. If I have a cd with more than 2 songs I don't like on it - I trade it off.

So in a sense, I agree with you. But since I only keep my favorite cds - there is not a need for me to skip tracks. It's not like I listen to songs I don't like.

What if it has like 8 really really awesome songs and 2 horrible songs?
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: I get sick of people.....   I get sick of people..... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 25, 2007 7:47 am

Quote :
If I have a cd with more than 2 songs I don't like on it - I trade it off.

WOW! That's rough! If a CD has 3 killer (they must be very good) or 5 or more good songs it's a keeper for me...

But, having said that your no skip thing makes more sense!
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: I get sick of people.....   I get sick of people..... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 25, 2007 8:34 am

blackieboy wrote:
Yeah, I listen to my mp3 too! But that doesn't mean I don't have a cd sitting in my vault! I actually have a whole room in my house dedicated to my cds! It's my CD vault!

But yeah, I download my cds to my mp3 player when I'm taking a walk or working in my backyard. I love my mp3 player!

However, unlike most people, I don't mix and match my songs on my mp3 player. I think I'm the only person I know who actually listens to FULL ALBUMS on my mp3 player! I'm WAY an album kind of guy. I just never do the 'random' thing.

I also never skip songs on cds. Even if it's not a favorite. It's a ritual for me to listen to a cd in the order it was created to be heard. I'm a bit of a music connoisour that way.

You are a music connoisour while I am a buffet man myself. To me variety is the spice of life. I like to have a wide variety of music at a time. Now I do stucture my shuffling so that a whole album will play so in a sense I'm not skipping any songs, however, when I listen to music while at work, or doing chores, or driving I want it all at once.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: I get sick of people.....   I get sick of people..... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 25, 2007 9:53 am

Tall Tyrion wrote:
I get sick of people too!

Oh wait......... what?

lol!

I've worked in customer service for a total of over 8 years so you KNOW, that I get sick of people.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: I get sick of people.....   I get sick of people..... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 25, 2007 9:55 am

DallasBlack wrote:

I've worked in customer service for a total of over 8 years so you KNOW, that I get sick of people.

Yea, people suck.
lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I get sick of people.....   I get sick of people..... - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I get sick of people.....
Page 3 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next