Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Ronnie James Dio gives his veredict about "Glam Hard Rock"

Go down 
+12
Mglaffas81
Glower
Troublezone
Eyesore
Thrasher73
Hadley
the sentinel
Fat Freddy
Lari
Gilbert
anthrax_fan
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Mglaffas81
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

Number of posts : 2256

Ronnie James Dio gives his veredict about "Glam Hard Rock" - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ronnie James Dio gives his veredict about "Glam Hard Rock"   Ronnie James Dio gives his veredict about "Glam Hard Rock" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 09, 2020 7:54 am

007 wrote:
anthrax_fan wrote:
Yep , I know , I don´t want to interfere on his collection anyways . but it's so sad , such an old True Metalhead starting to get into "Poison" , yyyykes ...

Close minded about music but yet open minded when it comes to "flat earth" and other conspiratorial bullshit.

Great point, though I think "open minded" would be giving this guy way too much credit - being "open minded" doesn't equate to giving credence to any unconventional, completely nonsensical theory or belief - it's being open to other points of view, theories and ideas based on sensible, rational thought and empirical evidence.

Back to top Go down
Hadley
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 992

PostSubject: Re: Ronnie James Dio gives his veredict about "Glam Hard Rock"   Ronnie James Dio gives his veredict about "Glam Hard Rock" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 09, 2020 9:57 am

Not to mention that the "glam" bands had to go through the same struggles as every other metal band. It wasnt just about having a "look".
Back to top Go down
John Madden
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
John Madden

Number of posts : 279

PostSubject: Re: Ronnie James Dio gives his veredict about "Glam Hard Rock"   Ronnie James Dio gives his veredict about "Glam Hard Rock" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 09, 2020 1:48 pm

It's all rock n roll to me.I dislike nu-metal, but System is cool. Back in 1987 I was a young thrasher who hated Glam. Now I think some of it alot. Just thinking about those bands makes me nostalgic. Great drinking music, I might add.Here's a good one:
Back to top Go down
anthrax_fan
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
anthrax_fan

Number of posts : 442

PostSubject: Re: Ronnie James Dio gives his veredict about "Glam Hard Rock"   Ronnie James Dio gives his veredict about "Glam Hard Rock" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 10, 2020 2:59 pm

[quote="Thrasher73"][quote="the sentinel"]
Gilbert wrote:

And I think Dio was referring to the image more than the music.

No , he was referring to both . "the music was rubbish" .
Back to top Go down
anthrax_fan
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
anthrax_fan

PostSubject: Re: Ronnie James Dio gives his veredict about "Glam Hard Rock"   Ronnie James Dio gives his veredict about "Glam Hard Rock" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 10, 2020 3:10 pm

Glower wrote:
Back in the 80s, I wasn’t much into glam. Never would glam be played at a cool party .
Today, I don’t really crank glam in my car....only a few songs by somewhat popular bands.
Eye make up. Hair extensions. Aqua net spray. Lip stick. Jewelry. It comes through the music.
Sure, they got signed and were casually labeled as ‘chick bands’. They all have a few songs.
But as my go to....no way. The RODS “ Let Them Eat Metal “ sums up my philosophy on this. Period.

Agreed , man . I also fully agree with : "Smells Like Teen Spirit didnt kill 80s metal,Unskinny Bop did!"
Back to top Go down
anthrax_fan
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
anthrax_fan

PostSubject: Re: Ronnie James Dio gives his veredict about "Glam Hard Rock"   Ronnie James Dio gives his veredict about "Glam Hard Rock" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 10, 2020 3:11 pm

The lyrics for "Imitation of Life" of Anthrax are one of the few anti glam Thrash tunes that where ever written on the 80's and there where many more ...
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Ronnie James Dio gives his veredict about "Glam Hard Rock"   Ronnie James Dio gives his veredict about "Glam Hard Rock" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 10, 2020 6:32 pm

I love Dio, but I also love all the hair metal just like I love AOR and melodic hard rock. I also love 80s pop rock. But if anyone wants to tell me I'm not metal, they can kiss my ass because that is where the music where my heart truly lies.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Ronnie James Dio gives his veredict about "Glam Hard Rock"   Ronnie James Dio gives his veredict about "Glam Hard Rock" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 10, 2020 8:45 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
I love Dio, but I also love all the hair metal just like I love AOR and melodic hard rock. I also love 80s pop rock. But if anyone wants to tell me I'm not metal, they can kiss my ass because that is where the music where my heart truly lies.

Preach it, brother!!! Ronnie James Dio gives his veredict about "Glam Hard Rock" - Page 2 506406
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Ronnie James Dio gives his veredict about "Glam Hard Rock"   Ronnie James Dio gives his veredict about "Glam Hard Rock" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 10, 2020 9:16 pm

I hate elitist attitudes.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Ronnie James Dio gives his veredict about "Glam Hard Rock"   Ronnie James Dio gives his veredict about "Glam Hard Rock" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 11, 2020 12:51 am

DallasBlack wrote:

headbanger headbanger headbanger
Back to top Go down
Wrecked Neck
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

Number of posts : 2654

PostSubject: Re: Ronnie James Dio gives his veredict about "Glam Hard Rock"   Ronnie James Dio gives his veredict about "Glam Hard Rock" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 11, 2020 2:25 am

anthrax_fan wrote:
The lyrics for "Imitation of Life" of Anthrax are one of the few anti glam Thrash tunes that where ever written on the 80's and there where many more ...
One of the few, but yet there were many more? So which is it?

Haven't listened to the interview in full, but Dio also hated harsh vocals, and called them silly once. I thought it was funny the way he talked about them. Wish I had it saved so, I  Could post it here. Might not agree with him, but he spoke with heart and I respect that.
Back to top Go down
anthrax_fan
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
anthrax_fan

PostSubject: Re: Ronnie James Dio gives his veredict about "Glam Hard Rock"   Ronnie James Dio gives his veredict about "Glam Hard Rock" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 11, 2020 6:32 am

Well I do like some glam bands . I could list a few examples , of ones that where heavier or where closer to Heavy Metal , like Ratt , late 80's Whitesnake and Motley Crue . But I can't see ANY point at all in calling GARBAGE like Poison , Bon Jovi and Trixter as even "Hard Rock" , let alone "Metal" IMO it's HERESY to call any of these shitty bands "Metal"

BTW the Manowar motto "Death to False Metal" always referred to the Glam Garbage of the 80's .
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Ronnie James Dio gives his veredict about "Glam Hard Rock"   Ronnie James Dio gives his veredict about "Glam Hard Rock" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 11, 2020 7:48 am

I’m not sure Poison ever considered themselves metal. They were the epitome of the sunset strip “party rock” scene, and most likely influenced by bands like KISS and Van Halen.

The bottom line is: Scott Waters can like whatever he wants! The hard rock/metal umbrella has many genres and styles. Just start your own metal website and do what you want. I’m sure you’ll get some haters/trolls criticizing your collection too. You know AC/DC isn’t metal and most metal fans like them. Almost any band with radio or commercial appeal have a pop element.
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: Ronnie James Dio gives his veredict about "Glam Hard Rock"   Ronnie James Dio gives his veredict about "Glam Hard Rock" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 11, 2020 8:25 am

anthrax_fan wrote:
Well I do like some glam bands . I could list a few examples , of ones that where heavier or where closer to Heavy Metal , like Ratt , late 80's Whitesnake and Motley Crue . But I can't see ANY point at all in calling GARBAGE like Poison , Bon Jovi and Trixter as even "Hard Rock" , let alone "Metal" IMO it's HERESY to call any of these shitty bands "Metal"

BTW the Manowar motto "Death to False Metal" always referred to the Glam Garbage of the 80's .

I'm not sure how many people refer to Poison, Bon Jovi or Trixter as metal. Hair metal, sure. But I'm sure that at this point nobody thinks hair metal refers to the same thing as, say, Darkthrone.

I enjoy Whitesnake, but it's weird to list late 80s Whitesnake as one of your exceptions in my opinion, based on the other posts in this thread.

Also, if I remember right, there is also a Run DMC CD listed in his CD collection archive. It's CDs that he owns, dude. I'm pretty sure he's not trying to proclaim every entry as a paradigm of heavy metal.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Ronnie James Dio gives his veredict about "Glam Hard Rock"   Ronnie James Dio gives his veredict about "Glam Hard Rock" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 11, 2020 8:39 am

Just call it “hair rock” instead of metal (for those that lose sleep at night).

Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Ronnie James Dio gives his veredict about "Glam Hard Rock"   Ronnie James Dio gives his veredict about "Glam Hard Rock" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 11, 2020 8:45 am

The irony of his argument is that he is a big Anthrax fan! Everyone knows about Scott Ian’s love of rap! And Belladonna is a huge fan of lightweight pop stuff like Journey.

Don’t you think Manowar would consider them false metal?
Back to top Go down
anthrax_fan
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
anthrax_fan

PostSubject: Re: Ronnie James Dio gives his veredict about "Glam Hard Rock"   Ronnie James Dio gives his veredict about "Glam Hard Rock" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 11, 2020 8:54 am

Well , the rap element wasn't "omnipresent" on the music of Anthrax , only the occasional joke or collaboration . But Dio has also criticized Anthrax for this but he didn't say "Anthrax is not metal" , just stated that they kindda helped creating the 90's "nu mallcore" crap .
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Ronnie James Dio gives his veredict about "Glam Hard Rock"   Ronnie James Dio gives his veredict about "Glam Hard Rock" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 11, 2020 9:19 am

But why do you keep referencing Dio? He didn’t create metal (Elf and Rainbow were more rock) and most of his solo music wasn’t even that heavy. Sure, people respected him for his vocals etc... but what makes him the authority of what is good or crap? I’m sure there’s some bands that you like that he would disapprove of. That means you would need to discard those bands because Dio said they suck.
Back to top Go down
anthrax_fan
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
anthrax_fan

PostSubject: Re: Ronnie James Dio gives his veredict about "Glam Hard Rock"   Ronnie James Dio gives his veredict about "Glam Hard Rock" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 11, 2020 9:51 am

Troublezone wrote:
But why do you keep referencing Dio? He didn’t create metal (Elf and Rainbow were more rock) and most of his solo music wasn’t even that heavy. Sure, people respected him for his vocals etc... but what makes him the authority of what is good or crap? I’m sure there’s some bands that you like that he would disapprove of. That means you would need to discard those bands because Dio said they suck.

Lol , not really . This is basically an issue I have with some friends here in my city . Back in early 1990´s when I started listening to Metal (March 1990 to be more precise) it was RIDICULOUS if not something worse for one to listen to Metal , specially Thrash and crap like these glam bands .

And some people here now think it's "O.K." to listen to that glam garbage and other styles of Metal altogheter but lots of these "kids" like to mock 90's Power Metal which is something I Absolutely Love .
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Ronnie James Dio gives his veredict about "Glam Hard Rock"   Ronnie James Dio gives his veredict about "Glam Hard Rock" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 11, 2020 10:05 am

So they mock your 90s power metal... Isn’t that what you’re doing here with hair metal? Your forcing your views on others by spotlighting your every opinion. Btw, there’s tons of cheesy power metal bands.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Ronnie James Dio gives his veredict about "Glam Hard Rock"   Ronnie James Dio gives his veredict about "Glam Hard Rock" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 11, 2020 10:18 am

Quote :
And some people here now think it's "O.K." to listen to that glam garbage and other styles of Metal altogheter

As they get older "some people" stop worrying about what their "friends" will say if they listen to so-and-so. Genre and sub-genre definitions become less important. They like what they like,

On any given day my play list might include albums/songs by Metallica, Boston, Warrant, Sepultura, Mercyful Fate, The Doors, GnR, Stryper, JetBoy, The Cars, Motorhead, or any of a hundred other bands. If that makes me a "poser" to some people, well... they can bite me.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
anthrax_fan
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
anthrax_fan

PostSubject: Re: Ronnie James Dio gives his veredict about "Glam Hard Rock"   Ronnie James Dio gives his veredict about "Glam Hard Rock" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 11, 2020 10:19 am

Troublezone wrote:
Btw, there’s tons of cheesy power metal bands.

I 100 % Agree . There are many Power Metal bands I just canNOT get into . But I' rather be mocked by my taste for "cheesy" bands than gay androginous stuff , that's my view .

I respect these gay people choices , but I'm tired of this agenda trying to put them as some kind of "untouchable" people . this behaviours : gay , trans , etc are ALL paraphiliac , why should an albino person or an Asperger (like me) not be considered "normal" but this people yes ? I think it's discgusting to see 2 big bearded dudes kissing each other .

So , I'd rather listen to "cheesy" bands than bands that dress and sing like they where travestites
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Ronnie James Dio gives his veredict about "Glam Hard Rock"   Ronnie James Dio gives his veredict about "Glam Hard Rock" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 11, 2020 10:22 am

^^ Theeere we go.

Soooo in other words, you won't listen to glam/hair bands because you don't want to catch The Gay. Got it.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Ronnie James Dio gives his veredict about "Glam Hard Rock"   Ronnie James Dio gives his veredict about "Glam Hard Rock" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 11, 2020 10:29 am

anthrax_fan wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
Btw, there’s tons of cheesy power metal bands.

I 100 % Agree . There are many Power Metal bands I just canNOT get into . But I' rather be mocked by my taste for "cheesy" bands than gay androginous stuff , that's my view .

I respect these gay people choices , but I'm tired of this agenda trying to put them as some kind of "untouchable" people . this behaviours : gay , trans , etc are ALL paraphiliac , why should an albino person or an Asperger (like me) not be considered "normal" but this people yes ? I think it's discgusting to see 2 big bearded dudes kissing each other .

So , I'd rather listen to "cheesy" bands than bands that dress and sing like they where travestites

But Manowar had loincloths. Why would you want to look at that?
Back to top Go down
anthrax_fan
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
anthrax_fan

PostSubject: Re: Ronnie James Dio gives his veredict about "Glam Hard Rock"   Ronnie James Dio gives his veredict about "Glam Hard Rock" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 11, 2020 10:41 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
^^ Theeere we go.

Soooo in other words, you won't listen to glam/hair bands because you don't want to catch The Gay. Got it.

There are many things involved in my distaste for Glam :

a - it sounds and looks like something PLASTIC , false , and as alienated from reality as possible .

b - the pop elements trying to sound "easy listening" directed for radio airplay . It's not spontaneous , it's something made like a product , to sell for audiences that donn't even really dig music .

and

c - the gay image .

Glam was considered "chick music" (music that only girls got into) when I started in metal in the early 90's . I prefer to keep this tradition and still consider it "chick music" .
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ronnie James Dio gives his veredict about "Glam Hard Rock"   Ronnie James Dio gives his veredict about "Glam Hard Rock" - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ronnie James Dio gives his veredict about "Glam Hard Rock"
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next