Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Ronnie James Dio gives his veredict about "Glam Hard Rock"

Go down 
+12
Mglaffas81
Glower
Troublezone
Eyesore
Thrasher73
Hadley
the sentinel
Fat Freddy
Lari
Gilbert
anthrax_fan
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
anthrax_fan
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
anthrax_fan

Number of posts : 442

Ronnie James Dio gives his veredict about "Glam Hard Rock" Empty
PostSubject: Ronnie James Dio gives his veredict about "Glam Hard Rock"   Ronnie James Dio gives his veredict about "Glam Hard Rock" Icon_minitimeFri Feb 07, 2020 7:40 pm

Back to top Go down
anthrax_fan
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
anthrax_fan

PostSubject: Re: Ronnie James Dio gives his veredict about "Glam Hard Rock"   Ronnie James Dio gives his veredict about "Glam Hard Rock" Icon_minitimeFri Feb 07, 2020 7:42 pm

I think it's pretty much a shame for Scott Waters to have Poison on their CD collection , but its his collection anyways ...
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Ronnie James Dio gives his veredict about "Glam Hard Rock"   Ronnie James Dio gives his veredict about "Glam Hard Rock" Icon_minitimeSat Feb 08, 2020 12:19 am

I was never the biggest glam/hair metal fan. There are however some bands i do appreciate and have added to my collection.

Lately, I picked up two Dangerous Toys cds. Not disappointed. Good stuff.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: Ronnie James Dio gives his veredict about "Glam Hard Rock"   Ronnie James Dio gives his veredict about "Glam Hard Rock" Icon_minitimeSat Feb 08, 2020 2:29 am

Love you Ronnie, but you were wrong about this one.

Some of the best metal falls under the "glam metal" umbrella. Just because you don't like something, it doesn't make it non-metal. 

Reckless Love keeps the fire alive!
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

PostSubject: Re: Ronnie James Dio gives his veredict about "Glam Hard Rock"   Ronnie James Dio gives his veredict about "Glam Hard Rock" Icon_minitimeSat Feb 08, 2020 2:36 am

Back to top Go down
anthrax_fan
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
anthrax_fan

PostSubject: Re: Ronnie James Dio gives his veredict about "Glam Hard Rock"   Ronnie James Dio gives his veredict about "Glam Hard Rock" Icon_minitimeSat Feb 08, 2020 4:23 am

Gilbert wrote:
I was never the biggest glam/hair metal fan. There are however some bands i do appreciate and have added to my collection.

Well , I do like some of these bands , but the Glam stuff was basically DEAD by 1992 because of the Grunge explosion and IMO , it has never had a real comeback like other 80's genres like Power Metal , Thrash Metal or Traditional Heavy Metal ...
Back to top Go down
anthrax_fan
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
anthrax_fan

PostSubject: Re: Ronnie James Dio gives his veredict about "Glam Hard Rock"   Ronnie James Dio gives his veredict about "Glam Hard Rock" Icon_minitimeSat Feb 08, 2020 4:26 am

But the list of Glam bands I can say I really like is REALLY limited and I can't say it goes beyond 10 ...

BTW these 2 posted above sound like SHIT to me ..
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Ronnie James Dio gives his veredict about "Glam Hard Rock"   Ronnie James Dio gives his veredict about "Glam Hard Rock" Icon_minitimeSat Feb 08, 2020 5:42 am

anthrax_fan wrote:
I think it's pretty much a shame for Scott Waters to have Poison on their CD collection , but its his collection anyways ...

Why do you give a shit what bands Scott Waters has in his collection?

If you're trying to call him out you're wasting your time. Scott hasn't posted here in quite a while now.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
anthrax_fan
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
anthrax_fan

PostSubject: Re: Ronnie James Dio gives his veredict about "Glam Hard Rock"   Ronnie James Dio gives his veredict about "Glam Hard Rock" Icon_minitimeSat Feb 08, 2020 6:36 am

Yep , I know , I don´t want to interfere on his collection anyways . but it's so sad , such an old True Metalhead starting to get into "Poison" , yyyykes ...
Back to top Go down
anthrax_fan
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
anthrax_fan

PostSubject: Re: Ronnie James Dio gives his veredict about "Glam Hard Rock"   Ronnie James Dio gives his veredict about "Glam Hard Rock" Icon_minitimeSat Feb 08, 2020 6:38 am

I DON'T consider glam as EVER a part of metal music . Some bands had a style closer to metal , which I can admire . Ratt and Motley Crue for example , where heavier , rawer than stuff like Bon Jovi or Trixter . But I gree with Ronnie James Dio and Manowar , as few people recall that their "Death to False Metal" motto was directed to Glam .
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Ronnie James Dio gives his veredict about "Glam Hard Rock"   Ronnie James Dio gives his veredict about "Glam Hard Rock" Icon_minitimeSat Feb 08, 2020 9:31 am

Quote :
but it's so sad , such an old True Metalhead starting to get into "Poison" , yyyykes ...

(rolls eyes)

What are you, twelve?

"If you listen to that band you're not true metal, you're a poser! Cuz Manowar says so!"

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

PostSubject: Re: Ronnie James Dio gives his veredict about "Glam Hard Rock"   Ronnie James Dio gives his veredict about "Glam Hard Rock" Icon_minitimeSat Feb 08, 2020 10:12 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
Quote :
but it's so sad , such an old True Metalhead starting to get into "Poison" , yyyykes ...

(rolls eyes)

What are you, twelve?

"If you listen to that band you're not true metal, you're a poser! Cuz Manowar says so!"

Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Ronnie James Dio gives his veredict about "Glam Hard Rock"   Ronnie James Dio gives his veredict about "Glam Hard Rock" Icon_minitimeSat Feb 08, 2020 10:15 am

Gilbert wrote:

DT is awesome! With the exception of course of one album, "The Artist Formerly Known As..." where it just doesn't sound like them at all.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Ronnie James Dio gives his veredict about "Glam Hard Rock"   Ronnie James Dio gives his veredict about "Glam Hard Rock" Icon_minitimeSat Feb 08, 2020 10:44 am

I am a huge fan of Glam/ Hair Metal (even though my fave genre is USPM) as well as NWOBHM and Traditional. I love and respect RJD, but I disagree with him on this one. I feel as though some stuff by Crue or Ratt was as heavy as anything Dio ever did. The "image" was certainly different, but the music was similar. No one will ever make me think that "Shout" or "Out of the Cellar" weren't Metal albums. They absolutely were. Same goes for Icon's self titled album, the first L.A. Guns, Appetite for Destruction, Under Lock and Key, Night Songs, the first Britny Fox, Babylon A.D., he first 3 Stryper and Keel albums, etc.

Conversely, I feel as though some bands where heavier back in the day than they are know. The first two examples that come to mind (and they currently sit at 2 and 5 in my all time fave bands list) are Iron Maiden and Anthrax. It doesn't mean I think any less of them or love the music any less, it's just a perspective that falls under one large umbrella.

Since Scott's name was invoked, I will repeat something he once told me; that you have to remember the time the music was released. The first Sabbath albums where hella heavy (for the early to mid 1970's) but nowadays, not so much. I just listened to "No Exit" and now I have "Operation Mindcrime" playing. I have always considered both to be Metal albums, even though one is clearly "heavier" than the other. If someone were to walk in the man cave and hear it, unless they think of 1988, they might mock me and tell me the new Shinedown or Breaking Benjamin is Metal and not this.
Back to top Go down
Hadley
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 992

PostSubject: Re: Ronnie James Dio gives his veredict about "Glam Hard Rock"   Ronnie James Dio gives his veredict about "Glam Hard Rock" Icon_minitimeSat Feb 08, 2020 10:45 am

Ronnie may have thought that, but look at 1:04 in this "hair metal" video:

Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Ronnie James Dio gives his veredict about "Glam Hard Rock"   Ronnie James Dio gives his veredict about "Glam Hard Rock" Icon_minitimeSat Feb 08, 2020 11:13 am

Hadley wrote:
Ronnie may have thought that, but look at 1:04 in this "hair metal" video:

Great album! I need to get that on disc. My cassette is barely playable these days.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

PostSubject: Re: Ronnie James Dio gives his veredict about "Glam Hard Rock"   Ronnie James Dio gives his veredict about "Glam Hard Rock" Icon_minitimeSat Feb 08, 2020 12:32 pm

I never really care how heavy the music is. If it's heavier, it doesn't necessarily mean it's better.

Yesterday I picked up two albums to play in the car, by two completely "opposite" bands: Children of Bodom and L.A Guns. Both rule and are metal by my humble standards.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Ronnie James Dio gives his veredict about "Glam Hard Rock"   Ronnie James Dio gives his veredict about "Glam Hard Rock" Icon_minitimeSat Feb 08, 2020 1:32 pm

the sentinel wrote:
Gilbert wrote:

DT is awesome! With the exception of course of one album, "The Artist Formerly Known As..." where it just doesn't sound like them at all.

Yeah DT is one my favorites from back in the day. I wouldn’t really label them glam or hair either. They just get lumped in with so many others. We all know by now how that goes.
And I think Dio was referring to the image more than the music.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Ronnie James Dio gives his veredict about "Glam Hard Rock"   Ronnie James Dio gives his veredict about "Glam Hard Rock" Icon_minitimeSat Feb 08, 2020 4:44 pm

anthrax_fan wrote:
Yep , I know , I don´t want to interfere on his collection anyways . but it's so sad , such an old True Metalhead starting to get into "Poison" , yyyykes ...

Nothing sad about it. I listen to Sarah McLachlan and I'm metal as fuck. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Hadley
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 992

PostSubject: Re: Ronnie James Dio gives his veredict about "Glam Hard Rock"   Ronnie James Dio gives his veredict about "Glam Hard Rock" Icon_minitimeSat Feb 08, 2020 4:53 pm

We all know that the only TROO metal is Blackened Black Metal, so obscure and underground that after you listen to an album once it self-destructs!
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Ronnie James Dio gives his veredict about "Glam Hard Rock"   Ronnie James Dio gives his veredict about "Glam Hard Rock" Icon_minitimeSat Feb 08, 2020 5:25 pm

Who made you the judge of what is good and acceptable for a metal collection? It’s really lame, closed minded and pointless! There are tons of great bands that were considered hair/glam. To be honest, I really don’t care what anyone says... including the late Ronnie Dio. I have my own mind. There are some metal fans that just like fast and heavy stuff and would consider Dio’s music weak. It’s just personal taste and opinions. I like a few Poison and Cinderella songs, and more than a few from RATT. I’m not a one dimensional music fan. Metal has many sub genres. Good songs are good songs. Who cares if it’s Slayer or Warrant!

Don’t be a douche.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: Ronnie James Dio gives his veredict about "Glam Hard Rock"   Ronnie James Dio gives his veredict about "Glam Hard Rock" Icon_minitimeSat Feb 08, 2020 5:41 pm

Eyesore wrote:
anthrax_fan wrote:

Nothing sad about it. I listen to Sarah McLachlan and I'm metal as fuck. Laughing
Poser!
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Ronnie James Dio gives his veredict about "Glam Hard Rock"   Ronnie James Dio gives his veredict about "Glam Hard Rock" Icon_minitimeSat Feb 08, 2020 5:59 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Quote :

(rolls eyes)

What are you, twelve?

He likes the loincloth image better. It’s more ballsy and in the face.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40562

PostSubject: Re: Ronnie James Dio gives his veredict about "Glam Hard Rock"   Ronnie James Dio gives his veredict about "Glam Hard Rock" Icon_minitimeSat Feb 08, 2020 7:43 pm

anthrax_fan wrote:

Close minded about music but yet open minded when it comes to "flat earth" and other conspiratorial bullshit.
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3219

PostSubject: Re: Ronnie James Dio gives his veredict about "Glam Hard Rock"   Ronnie James Dio gives his veredict about "Glam Hard Rock" Icon_minitimeSat Feb 08, 2020 8:28 pm

Back in the 80s, I wasn’t much into glam. Never would glam be played at a cool party .
Today, I don’t really crank glam in my car....only a few songs by somewhat popular bands.
Eye make up. Hair extensions. Aqua net spray. Lip stick. Jewelry. It comes through the music.
Sure, they got signed and were casually labeled as ‘chick bands’. They all have a few songs.
But as my go to....no way. The RODS “ Let Them Eat Metal “ sums up my philosophy on this. Period.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ronnie James Dio gives his veredict about "Glam Hard Rock"   Ronnie James Dio gives his veredict about "Glam Hard Rock" Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ronnie James Dio gives his veredict about "Glam Hard Rock"
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next