Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS!

Go down 
+31
MetalGuy71
anthrax_fan
Witchfinder
metalinmyveins
SideShowDisaSter
Lari
Temple of Blood
John Madden
the sentinel
ZombieHavoc
Citanul
Boris2008
Rami Airola
Wrecked Neck
glassprison
Thrasher73
scottmitchell74
DallasBlack
Hadley
Troublezone
Eyesore
Glower
Mglaffas81
Required Fields
BearOnUnicycle
Gilbert
tohostudios
James B.
Fat Freddy
corplhicks
35 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
AuthorMessage
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS! - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS!   It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 03, 2020 2:59 am

Rami Airola wrote:
Whitesnake was really good only during the super commercial success years (s/t and Slip of the Tongue). The rest are quite meh with an interesting song here and there. Just way too many major key rock songs in their catalogue. Can't really stand those.

Yyyyyyyyyyes. I think. Dammit. See, those earlier albums have some super-great songs and the musicianship is lovely, but you're right, there's a bad balance in the songwriting output. I really think Coverdale's earlier work--even on Burn--has only become common knowledge because of Eddie Trunk. NO ONE I ever knew, not even my Dad's friends, had ever heard that album, great as it is.

Required Fields wrote:
Heartwork is the best Carcass album.

Yeah, as Troublezone mentioned, that's pretty much true. I mean, their other albums stack up great, and I'm only a casual fan, but that's the one that does it for me.

And on the issue of moshing, I have to admit I'm not a fan of it either. Hell, I was at an Audio Adrenaline (tell me that's the first time this band has ever been brought up here) concert where they had to shut it down due to a mosh pit that was causing a front stage crush where I was. One girl had to be taken to the first aid tent. Audio Adrenaline, for God's sake! It just disrupts my enjoyment of even being there. Takes me out.

I wonder about the mosh pits of old. Perhaps there was more respect, a better since of fun--anger, yeah, but a fun type of anger, I suppose. Like the Toxic Waltz video.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS!   It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 03, 2020 3:12 am

corplhicks wrote:

I wonder about the mosh pits of old. Perhaps there was more respect, a better since of fun--anger, yeah, but a fun type of anger, I suppose. Like the Toxic Waltz video.

Good friendly violent fun! Yep, I know what you mean.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS!   It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 03, 2020 10:32 am

ahem...I'm reminded of this very unpopular opinion from another active thread:

The blonde from Married With Children is the MOST OVERRATED "beauty" from the 80's/90's!

Katey Sagal about 173 times hotter!

Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS!   It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 03, 2020 3:28 pm

Peter Dirkschneider is as good as Udo Dirkschneider.

I wish Peter would go back to making music.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS!   It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 03, 2020 5:56 pm

Gilbert wrote:

Am I the only person here who didn't know until now that Udo has a brother who's a musician??
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS!   It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 03, 2020 6:27 pm

scottmitchell74 wrote:

The blonde from Married With Children is the MOST OVERRATED "beauty" from the 80's/90's!

Katey Sagal about 173 times hotter!

It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS! - Page 3 Why-not-w6cvqu

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

PostSubject: Re: It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS!   It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 03, 2020 7:44 pm

corplhicks wrote:
Gilbert wrote:

Am I the only person here who didn't know until now that Udo has a brother who's a musician??

A couple of samples headbanger headbanger:

Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS!   It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 04, 2020 12:28 am

Accept's Eat the Heat is actually a pretty damn good album.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS!   It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 04, 2020 12:41 am

Lita Ford has never been hot!
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS!   It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 04, 2020 1:00 am

Boris2008 wrote:
Lita Ford has never been hot!

Yeah, put me in that camp!  I ALWAYS thought Joan Jett was the hottie in The Runaways.

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS!   It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 04, 2020 1:04 am

Fat Freddy wrote:

That's actually my favorite Accept album mainly because unlike Udo, David Reece doesn't sound like he's been gargling with Drano for a decade.

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS!   It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 04, 2020 1:51 am

Got one:

Empire is the best Queensryche album.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

PostSubject: Re: It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS!   It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 04, 2020 6:06 am

tohostudios wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

That's actually my favorite Accept album mainly because unlike Udo, David Reece doesn't sound like he's been gargling with Drano for a decade.

Eat the Heat is indeed one of the best Accept albums.
Back to top Go down
Citanul
Metal master
Metal master
Citanul

Number of posts : 657

PostSubject: Re: It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS!   It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 04, 2020 6:13 am

corplhicks wrote:
And oh my lord, yes Toho re: Lazing on a Sunday Afternoon." Maybe it's extreme British humor (where's Boris) but yeah wtf is that even doing there.

I say not so much humour, but rather British musical tradition. Queen have a number of songs on their early albums that are in a music hall and/or skiffle style - Lazing on a Sunday Afternoon, Bring Back That Leroy Brown, Good Company, Good Old Fashioned Love Boy. Those sorts of things would have been somewhat familiar to British audiences at the time and probably wouldn't have sounded so out of place to them.

I think those songs also tended to be the shorter songs on the albums, so I suppose there could be an element of them being throwaway filler songs that were used to bring up the album length.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS!   It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 04, 2020 3:50 pm

Speaking of mosh pits, I went to a Haunt concert last night (btw Haunt has a new album arriving). The place was a total war zone, tons of drunk moshing. Now, Haunt is a classic metal band, well kind of different but you know what I mean, not extreme or thrashy. So my question to all those who experienced those local metal gigs in the early-to-mid 80's is how much thrashing was there? Fresno has a veteran crowd of straight up Heavy Metal fans and a younger generation that are fans of Death Metal. Most of these younger folk (haha I totally don't mean to sound old on purpose) are wild enough to set the venue on fire. Great kids, but PASSIONATE. One was a young chick in total biker gear that was DETERMINED to break every bone in the place, and another dude in his early 20's, crowd surfing, who managed to climb up to the ceiling joists--he eventually fell like a ragdoll, head first, but was miraculously caught just before impact. To top it off, their was an elderly woman in front side row that me and two other dudes had to guard from the pit! So it obviously distracted me from a good show, but at least I had seen Haunt before.

I'm just not sure if that sort of ultra-violent moshing should be a thing at a heavy metal show. Extreme metal, sure.

Got another one that I've never told anyone: Armored Saint is just fine (and killer in concert) but John Bush, while an enjoyable frontman, suffers somewhat from a lack of melodic direction and a timbre that wears after a short time, sort of like Mike Tramp. Also Phil Sandoval is rather weak with lead. The band's strength is their killer rhythm section. Joey Vera is one of the great metal bassists and he and Gonzo know how to deliver.

Citanul wrote:
corplhicks wrote:
And oh my lord, yes Toho re: Lazing on a Sunday Afternoon." Maybe it's extreme British humor (where's Boris) but yeah wtf is that even doing there.

I say not so much humour, but rather British musical tradition.  Queen have a number of songs on their early albums that are in a music hall and/or skiffle style - Lazing on a Sunday Afternoon, Bring Back That Leroy Brown, Good Company, Good Old Fashioned Love Boy.  Those sorts of things would have been somewhat familiar to British audiences at the time and probably wouldn't have sounded so out of place to them.

I think those songs also tended to be the shorter songs on the albums, so I suppose there could be an element of them being throwaway filler songs that were used to bring up the album length.

Now, THAT is a killer perspective, my friend, and it is very true that even the great albums of the 70's are known for having filler of some sort.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS!   It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 04, 2020 9:43 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
Got one:

Empire is the best Queensryche album.

I think that would be the Popular opinion.
Back to top Go down
Hadley
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 992

PostSubject: Re: It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS!   It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 05, 2020 7:23 pm

Here's a really controversial one:

While John Bonhams death was a tragedy that should never have happened, Zeppelin wouldnt have survived the 80s if he had lived anyway. Their style of rock would have been out of place with what was popular. At best, I can see them changing into more of a "Heartland rock (Springsteen, Petty, Mellancamp)" style. At worst they would have broken up (though I could see Bonham teaming up with his son Jason and forming Bonham).
Back to top Go down
glassprison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
glassprison

Number of posts : 2960

PostSubject: Re: It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS!   It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 05, 2020 9:19 pm

Quote :
Speaking of mosh pits, I went to a Haunt concert last night (btw Haunt has a new album arriving). The place was a total war zone, tons of drunk moshing. Now, Haunt is a classic metal band, well kind of different but you know what I mean, not extreme or thrashy. So my question to all those who experienced those local metal gigs in the early-to-mid 80's is how much thrashing was there? Fresno has a veteran crowd of straight up Heavy Metal fans and a younger generation that are fans of Death Metal. Most of these younger folk (haha I totally don't mean to sound old on purpose) are wild enough to set the venue on fire. Great kids, but PASSIONATE. One was a young chick in total biker gear that was DETERMINED to break every bone in the place, and another dude in his early 20's, crowd surfing, who managed to climb up to the ceiling joists--he eventually fell like a ragdoll, head first, but was miraculously caught just before impact. To top it off, their was an elderly woman in front side row that me and two other dudes had to guard from the pit! So it obviously distracted me from a good show, but at least I had seen Haunt before.

That sounds wild! I've never seen anything that intense before at a show of any style.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS!   It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 06, 2020 7:12 pm

glassprison wrote:
Quote :

That sounds wild! I've never seen anything that intense before at a show of any style.

Yeah it was like being in the Toxic Waltz video haha. But tbh it really got annoying because I couldn't enjoy the band. Like a big distraction.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS!   It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 06, 2020 7:56 pm

The last time I was at a thrashy kind of show (Overkill/Municipal Waste/Prong, back in 2014), my buddy and I stood at a safe distance from the mayhem (holding up the bar along the back wall) and had fun watching the young'ins beat each other senseless all night long. At some point I said "Y'know, 25 years ago we would've been right in the middle of that," and he was like "Fuuuuuck that. I don't wanna break a hip." Laughing very hard

Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS!   It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 07, 2020 10:35 am

Required Fields wrote:
In Search of Sanity is my favorite Onslaught album.

Souls of Black is one of my favorite Testament albums.

The fact that NSBM is accepted by much of the metal community is upsetting.

Impact is Imminent is a good album.

Agreed on all this, except Impact is Imminent is a great album.

Also, re: Faster Pussycat. Their first album is one of the best albums in the whole glam/sleaze metal genre. So good.
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

PostSubject: Re: It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS!   It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 07, 2020 10:43 am

Troublezone wrote:
Wrecked Neck wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
Wrecked Neck wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
Mglaffas81 wrote:
Not only are mosh pits juvenile, stupid and incredibly annoying (I go to concerts because I want to see a band I love playing music I love), it plays into the hands of the view of heavy metal as nothing more of an "outlet" genre and not really on par with other music - and you know what, when I see these people fighting and bashing each other like idiots, I agree - it degrades the music that I like - I don't like (for example) "Blackened" because it sounds aggressive and it helps me let off steam, I like it because I simply think it sounds insanely awesome and the aggression part is merely a component - but most of all, I just hate people bumping into me and pushing me further back, severely lessening my experience of the concert.

I guess a Dream Theater concert is your perfect environment. It’s very non aggressive and safe. Just watch the show like a parent at a school play.
I actually agree with him on mosh pits. I get tired of them because I also like to go to a show to watch the band play, not to worry about getting kicked in the head. I miss the days before there were most pits, and everyone just banged their heads and fists and had a good time. That's not to say I also enjoy getting in the pit once in a while for the right bands, but it gets old dealing with it all the time.

Yeah, but why should everyone be the same? Some people like moshing as an expression of enjoyment for the music. Sure, some people are doing it for the wrong reason and want to fight, but they are the minority. As long as the pit is not interfering with traditional headbangers that throw horns and pump their fist. I think there should be room for all types of people to have fun.

Because you can't just headbang without watching out for flying elbows, fists and feet. I'd be happy if they could section it off maybe. I'm not going to compromise and stand in the back though, I'm 5'9" and I want to see the band so I need to get up close. The moshing isn't my main bitch though, it's the stupid fucking crowd surfing idiots. Nothing like getting kicked in the head by some 200 pound asshat that has no business crowd surfing. And like I said, I get in them myself from time to time, it just gets old when it's every show.

I know what you’re saying, and I somewhat agree (especially the stupid shit), but I don’t think every show is like that...

If you go to see a band that has a known rabid fan base and the music is aggressive, chances are that there will be some young fans and dumb shit. It just depends on the style and reputation of the band. Fast and aggressive music is usually designed to evoke moshing. A lot of thrash bands actually ask the crowds to “circle pit”! Chuck Billy expects it.

I was going to hardcore shows before metal shows, wherein we moshed and it wasn't even a question. And I used to watch thrash metal videos like Exodus, and people would be going insane, moshing, stagediving, etc...so when I started going to metal shows, I was pretty stoked for some moshing. It was a bit of a let down that people seemed to just stand around and if anyone did start moshing, people got pissy about it. Maybe I was seeing the wrong bands.

I remember seeing Iced Earth in 98 I think, and diving off one of the monitors and this huge dude in the front with giant spiked gauntlets grabbed my legs and pulled me down and yelled something about getting kicked in the face. We hugged it out and it was fine, but it was a bummer to learn that these excellent metal shows from 80s/early 90s thrash videos didn't really seem to exist and no one really Toxic Waltz-ed at all.
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

PostSubject: Re: It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS!   It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 07, 2020 1:34 pm

corplhicks wrote:
Rami Airola wrote:
Whitesnake was really good only during the super commercial success years (s/t and Slip of the Tongue). The rest are quite meh with an interesting song here and there. Just way too many major key rock songs in their catalogue. Can't really stand those.

Yyyyyyyyyyes. I think. Dammit. See, those earlier albums have some super-great songs and the musicianship is lovely, but you're right, there's a bad balance in the songwriting output. I really think Coverdale's earlier work--even on Burn--has only become common knowledge because of Eddie Trunk. NO ONE I ever knew, not even my Dad's friends, had ever heard that album, great as it is.

On a related note--and I have no idea if this is an unpopular opinion or what the general consensus is--but those Coverdale Deep Purple albums after Burn are mostly pretty boring. There are a few good tunes, but largely I'm not super into them.

I've only really started digesting the Purple catalog in the past couple years, and those are just so inferior in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS!   It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 07, 2020 2:51 pm

Re: Whitesnake - I feel the same way, the '87 self-titled (and mmmmmaybe Slide It In) is really the only WS you need.

I tried some of their other stuff a few years ago when I was suddenly finding Whitesnake albums in bargain bins everywhere I went (The Purple Album, Good To Be Bad, etc.) but once the newness of each one wore off they just sat on my shelf collecting dust, and whenever I was in the mood for Whitesnake (which admittedly isn't very often) I still kept reaching for the '87 self-titled.

So when I went thru my "clean out your shelves" in the middle of last year, I sez "Sorry Dave," and gave all the Whitesnake stuff the heave-ho except for that self-titled.

That reminds me, I still have a copy of the Coverdale/Page album to trade if anyone's looking for it Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Hadley
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 992

PostSubject: Re: It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS!   It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 07, 2020 5:12 pm

Re: Whitesnake. Saints and Sinners is worth checking out, it's kind of a transition record between the 70s stuff and the Slide It In/S-T era.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS!   It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS! - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS!
Page 3 of 12Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next