Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS!

Go down 
+31
MetalGuy71
anthrax_fan
Witchfinder
metalinmyveins
SideShowDisaSter
Lari
Temple of Blood
John Madden
the sentinel
ZombieHavoc
Citanul
Boris2008
Rami Airola
Wrecked Neck
glassprison
Thrasher73
scottmitchell74
DallasBlack
Hadley
Troublezone
Eyesore
Glower
Mglaffas81
Required Fields
BearOnUnicycle
Gilbert
tohostudios
James B.
Fat Freddy
corplhicks
35 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next
AuthorMessage
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS!   It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 01, 2020 1:14 am

I like all of the Vengeance Rising albums~

Toho - I have the same opinion of Queen and Rush. The highs are almost obscenely good, but way too much wankery.

Jag Panzer is simply effing amazing.

Yeah, I can't listen to Mercyful Fate at all, nor Deicide, nor Morbid Angel (or any band so overt like that). I can't have those lyrics ringing in my head.

Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS!   It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 01, 2020 1:27 am

DallasBlack, i totally agree about The Black Album and I Hear Black. Both are awesome albums and the ones that introduced me to Metallica and Overkill.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS!   It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 01, 2020 3:41 am

Gilbert wrote:
DallasBlack, i totally agree about The Black Album and I Hear Black. Both are awesome albums and the ones that introduced me to Metallica and Overkill.

Same here. The Black Album was my first exposure to metal back when the music video for Enter Sandman debuted on MTV. I might not be the metal head I am today without that album. I Hear Black I got as an impulse buy when I took advantage of the Columbia Record club's old tapes for a penny deal. Until I got that album, I had never heard Overkill before. Now they are one of my top all time favorite thrash bands.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS!   It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 01, 2020 3:51 am

Oh I can play this game!

Metallica died after And Justice for All.

Never was big on Slayer except for South of Heaven.

Helloween after Kiske left sucks!

Never was a big fan of Judas Priest.

Didn’t listen to AC/DC for a long time because they’re so overrated.

I like Forbidden better than any of the big 4.

Back to top Go down
Mglaffas81
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

Number of posts : 2256

PostSubject: Re: It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS!   It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 01, 2020 6:49 am

Not only are mosh pits juvenile, stupid and incredibly annoying (I go to concerts because I want to see a band I love playing music I love), it plays into the hands of the view of heavy metal as nothing more of an "outlet" genre and not really on par with other music - and you know what, when I see these people fighting and bashing each other like idiots, I agree - it degrades the music that I like - I don't like (for example) "Blackened" because it sounds aggressive and it helps me let off steam, I like it because I simply think it sounds insanely awesome and the aggression part is merely a component - but most of all, I just hate people bumping into me and pushing me further back, severely lessening my experience of the concert.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS!   It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 01, 2020 9:20 am

OK, I'll play. (tho some of these are probably re-runs from the last time we did one of these threads)...

Vengeance Rising was terrible. If it weren't for the whole "this is the Christian band whose singer turned his back on Jesus" train-wreck thing, they'd be a footnote in thrash history today, at best.

Somewhere Far Beyond is the only Blind Guardian album you need.

Tourniquet is, was, and always has been "meh."

Dream Theater: amazing chops, but not an ounce of soul.

Dead Winter Dead is the first Trans-Siberian Orchestra album.

Mercyful Fate > King Diamond solo. Any day of the week.

Michale Graves era Misfits is bad-ass and should've been much more successful.

Deris > Kiske.

Gamma Ray got better once Kai took over lead vocals. (Ralf Scheepers sounds like a muppet)

Keeper Part I > Keeper Part II.

Virtual XI > The X Factor.

Most of Iron Maiden's post-Brave New World output has been an ongoing series of sleeping pills (esp. Book of Souls).

Many of the B and C-level hair/sleaze/glam metal bands that never made it big (Babylon AD, Sweet F.A., JetBoy, etc.) were WAY better than the ones who did (Crue, Poison, GnR, Warrant, etc.)

That's all I can come up with before coffee. If I think of any other sacred cows to urinate on, I'll come back. Very Happy

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS!   It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 01, 2020 11:14 am

Deris-era Helloween is better than the Kiske/Hansen eras.

Keeper of the Seven Keys III is better than I and II.

American Psycho is the best Misfits album.

Load and Reload are excellent albums.

Every Megadeth "comeback" album after Risk has been mediocre and phoned in.

Flick of the Switch is the best AC/DC album.

Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS!   It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 01, 2020 3:30 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
OK, I'll play. (tho some of these are probably re-runs from the last time we did one of these threads)...

Vengeance Rising was terrible. If it weren't for the whole "this is the Christian band whose singer turned his back on Jesus" train-wreck thing, they'd be a footnote in thrash history today, at best.

Somewhere Far Beyond is the only Blind Guardian album you need.

That's all I can come up with before coffee. If I think of any other sacred cows to urinate on, I'll come back. Very Happy

You're dead to me on all three counts.

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS!   It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 01, 2020 3:37 pm

scottmitchell74 wrote:

You're dead to me on all three counts.

Very Happy

Laughing very hard

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
glassprison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
glassprison

Number of posts : 2960

PostSubject: Re: It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS!   It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 01, 2020 6:40 pm

Here's one: these days I prefer Jon Levin in Dokken over George Lynch. He's an amazing guitarist and, in 2020 at least, is better live/stage performer than GL. Plus he writes riffs that at actually have a classic Dokken sound to them, whereas GL seems to have moved on from that style entirely.

Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS!   It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 01, 2020 10:41 pm

Mglaffas81 wrote:
Not only are mosh pits juvenile, stupid and incredibly annoying (I go to concerts because I want to see a band I love playing music I love), it plays into the hands of the view of heavy metal as nothing more of an "outlet" genre and not really on par with other music - and you know what, when I see these people fighting and bashing each other like idiots, I agree - it degrades the music that I like - I don't like (for example) "Blackened" because it sounds aggressive and it helps me let off steam, I like it because I simply think it sounds insanely awesome and the aggression part is merely a component - but most of all, I just hate people bumping into me and pushing me further back, severely lessening my experience of the concert.

I guess a Dream Theater concert is your perfect environment. It’s very non aggressive and safe. Just watch the show like a parent at a school play.
Back to top Go down
Wrecked Neck
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

Number of posts : 2654

PostSubject: Re: It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS!   It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 01, 2020 11:47 pm

Troublezone wrote:
Mglaffas81 wrote:

I guess a Dream Theater concert is your perfect environment. It’s very non aggressive and safe. Just watch the show like a parent at a school play.
I actually agree with him on mosh pits. I get tired of them because I also like to go to a show to watch the band play, not to worry about getting kicked in the head. I miss the days before there were most pits, and everyone just banged their heads and fists and had a good time. That's not to say I also enjoy getting in the pit once in a while for the right bands, but it gets old dealing with it all the time.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS!   It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 02, 2020 12:14 am

Wrecked Neck wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
Mglaffas81 wrote:

I actually agree with him on mosh pits. I get tired of them because I also like to go to a show to watch the band play, not to worry about getting kicked in the head. I miss the days before there were most pits, and everyone just banged their heads and fists and had a good time. That's not to say I also enjoy getting in the pit once in a while for the right bands, but it gets old dealing with it all the time.

Yeah, but why should everyone be the same? Some people like moshing as an expression of enjoyment for the music. Sure, some people are doing it for the wrong reason and want to fight, but they are the minority. As long as the pit is not interfering with traditional headbangers that throw horns and pump their fist. I think there should be room for all types of people to have fun.
Back to top Go down
Wrecked Neck
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

PostSubject: Re: It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS!   It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 02, 2020 12:23 am

Troublezone wrote:
Wrecked Neck wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
Mglaffas81 wrote:

Yeah, but why should everyone be the same? Some people like moshing as an expression of enjoyment for the music. Sure, some people are doing it for the wrong reason and want to fight, but they are the minority. As long as the pit is not interfering with traditional headbangers that throw horns and pump their fist. I think there should be room for all types of people to have fun.

Because you can't just headbang without watching out for flying elbows, fists and feet. I'd be happy if they could section it off maybe. I'm not going to compromise and stand in the back though, I'm 5'9" and I want to see the band so I need to get up close. The moshing isn't my main bitch though, it's the stupid fucking crowd surfing idiots. Nothing like getting kicked in the head by some 200 pound asshat that has no business crowd surfing. And like I said, I get in them myself from time to time, it just gets old when it's every show.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS!   It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 02, 2020 1:21 am

Wrecked Neck wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
Wrecked Neck wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
Mglaffas81 wrote:

Because you can't just headbang without watching out for flying elbows, fists and feet. I'd be happy if they could section it off maybe. I'm not going to compromise and stand in the back though, I'm 5'9" and I want to see the band so I need to get up close. The moshing isn't my main bitch though, it's the stupid fucking crowd surfing idiots. Nothing like getting kicked in the head by some 200 pound asshat that has no business crowd surfing. And like I said, I get in them myself from time to time, it just gets old when it's every show.

I know what you’re saying, and I somewhat agree (especially the stupid shit), but I don’t think every show is like that...

If you go to see a band that has a known rabid fan base and the music is aggressive, chances are that there will be some young fans and dumb shit. It just depends on the style and reputation of the band. Fast and aggressive music is usually designed to evoke moshing. A lot of thrash bands actually ask the crowds to “circle pit”! Chuck Billy expects it.

Last edited by Troublezone on Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Wrecked Neck
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

PostSubject: Re: It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS!   It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 02, 2020 1:29 am

The King Diamond show I went to last month had a pit. That's ridiculous to me, especially since it was all reserved seating. But I agree, some shows just has to happen. I mainly wish the crowd surfing would stop. Hell even if I'm not in the mood to get in the pit, I usually stand near it. I get a clear view of the band, and a small breeze when the kids get going in a circle fast enough.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS!   It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 02, 2020 1:35 am

Wrecked Neck wrote:
The King Diamond show I went to last month had a pit. That's ridiculous to me, especially since it was all reserved seating. But I agree, some shows just has to happen. I mainly wish the crowd surfing would stop. Hell even if I'm not in the mood to get in the pit, I usually stand near it. I get a clear view of the band, and a small breeze when the kids get going in a circle fast enough.

A pit at King Diamond is ridiculous. He is a theatrical artist! Sure some of Andy’s riffs are badass, but they are a visual band not aggressive.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS!   It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 02, 2020 1:41 am

As far as crowd surfing... even bands like Pearl Jam had it. It was big during the grunge era.
Back to top Go down
Wrecked Neck
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

PostSubject: Re: It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS!   It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 02, 2020 1:51 am

Troublezone wrote:
As far as crowd surfing... even bands like Pearl Jam had it. It was big during the grunge era.
Doesn't mean it's right. People can get hurt, girls practically get raped, and it's too distracting. I've been kicked in the back of the head countless times from idiots doing it. Can't stand it.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS!   It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 02, 2020 5:25 am

Wrecked Neck wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
Doesn't mean it's right. People can get hurt, girls practically get raped, and it's too distracting. I've been kicked in the back of the head countless times from idiots doing it. Can't stand it.

I don’t endorse it.
Back to top Go down
Rami Airola
Metal student
Metal student
Rami Airola

Number of posts : 175

PostSubject: Re: It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS!   It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 02, 2020 6:00 am

When people say Testament and Exodus should be part of the big 4, no.
When people say Testament and Exodus should be part of the big 5 or 6, no.
Both bands play mediocre thrash.

Virtual XI is one of Iron Maiden's best albums.

Scott Columbus was Manowar's worst drummer. His drumming on albums and his drumming style live was boring. Rhino and Donnie were lightyears away from him. Not necessarily that big of an unpopular opinion, but after Scott's death someone has to have the guts to tell the truth.

Kai Hansen was Helloween's best singer. I like both Kiske and Deris too though.

Deliverance's What a Joke has better thrash songs than Weapons or s/t.
I love the fact that the What a Joke reissue cover art happened.

Reign in Blood has two fantastic songs and the rest are mediocre at best. South of Heaven and Seasons in the Abyss are way better albums.

Kill 'Em All is quite boring but I think James had the best singing voice in that album.

Vengeance Rising's Destruction Comes and Released Upon the Earth are better albums than Human Sacrifice and Once Dead.

Countdown to Extinction has only a few good songs and the rest are mediocre at best. It's one of my least favorite Megadeth albums. Only Risk and Super Collider are worse albums. It's pretty much tied with Dystopia and Thirteen. Every other Megadeth album is better than Countdown. I don't like Sweating Bullets at all.

Whitesnake was really good only during the super commercial success years (s/t and Slip of the Tongue). The rest are quite meh with an interesting song here and there. Just way too many major key rock songs in their catalogue. Can't really stand those.

Fat Freddy wrote:

I hate you.

Fat Freddy wrote:

I love you.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS!   It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 02, 2020 7:45 am

Rami Airola wrote:

Fat Freddy wrote:

I hate you.

Fat Freddy wrote:

I love you.

Laughing very hard

Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS!   It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 02, 2020 9:50 am

Agree 100% about the stupid mosh pits. I hate them when I'm by myself (I'm 5'8" so I have the seem thing about being close to see) and I REALLY HATE THEM when I take my daughters because then I'm constantly distracted keeping an eye on the pit and making sure my 110 pound daughters don't get pummeled with some alcohol-soaked 240 pound sweaty idiot.

Metal! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS!   It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 02, 2020 12:34 pm

Heartwork is the best Carcass album.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS!   It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 02, 2020 12:48 pm

Required Fields wrote:
Heartwork is the best Carcass album.

I think a lot of people agree.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS!   It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS! - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS!
Page 2 of 12Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next