Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS!

Go down 
+31
MetalGuy71
anthrax_fan
Witchfinder
metalinmyveins
SideShowDisaSter
Lari
Temple of Blood
John Madden
the sentinel
ZombieHavoc
Citanul
Boris2008
Rami Airola
Wrecked Neck
glassprison
Thrasher73
scottmitchell74
DallasBlack
Hadley
Troublezone
Eyesore
Glower
Mglaffas81
Required Fields
BearOnUnicycle
Gilbert
tohostudios
James B.
Fat Freddy
corplhicks
35 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
AuthorMessage
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9854

It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS! - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS!   It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 13, 2020 10:38 pm

I can't stand Anthrax. With the exception of a couple of ok songs, they are so overrated.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17044

PostSubject: Re: It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS!   It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 13, 2020 11:15 pm

Gilbert wrote:
I can't stand Anthrax. With the exception of a couple of ok songs, they are so overrated.

I like a lot of the early stuff, but mainly Persistence of Time. They were at their peak with Belladonna at that point and then fired him. His debut has great vocals! Of coarse if Charlie and Scott played those songs it would’ve been even better. But the guys he used were pretty good too. I see him as the heavy metal Steve Perry.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39186

PostSubject: Re: It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS!   It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 13, 2020 11:43 pm

Troublezone wrote:
Gilbert wrote:

I like a lot of the early stuff, but mainly Persistence of Time. They were at their peak with Belladonna at that point and then fired him. His debut has great vocals! Of coarse if Charlie and Scott played those songs it would’ve been even better. But the guys he used were pretty good too. I see him as the heavy metal Steve Perry.

That's actually a pretty good comparison for Belladonna.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS!   It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 14, 2020 12:16 am

007 wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
Gilbert wrote:

He famously auditioned for Anthrax singing Steve Perry’s song Oh Sherry.  Razz
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

PostSubject: Re: It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS!   It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 14, 2020 3:26 am

Fistful of Metal is my favourite to be honest. I like the old school metal vibe that it has.

Glower likes this post

Back to top Go down
Mglaffas81
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

Number of posts : 2255

PostSubject: Re: It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS!   It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 14, 2020 8:18 am

After Show No Mercy, Slayer would go on to record some of the worst guitar solos in popular metal.

Last edited by Mglaffas81 on Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12528

PostSubject: Re: It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS!   It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 14, 2020 9:51 am

Mglaffas81 wrote:
After Show No Mercy, Slayer would go on to to record some of the worst guitar solos in popular metal.
in

Hey, we agree on something Laughing very hard

Later, I'll tilt back a cold one your way headbanger

Metal graduate
Metal graduate
John Madden

Number of posts : 272

PostSubject: Re: It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS!   It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 14, 2020 10:01 am

I like Dianno's voice better than Dickinson, but Bruce's voice probably fits better in the music Maiden was known for.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

PostSubject: Re: It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS!   It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 14, 2020 10:52 am

Mglaffas81 wrote:
After Show No Mercy, Slayer would go on to to record some of the worst guitar solos in popular metal.

True. I never recall Slayer playing unforgettable solos anyway.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS!   It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 14, 2020 3:18 pm

Mglaffas81 wrote:
After Show No Mercy, Slayer would go on to record some of the worst guitar solos in popular metal.

I think Seasons in the Abyss has their most thought out and refined solos. Especially the title track. But everyone knows they played chaotic on purpose to fit the aesthetic of the music. Plus Jeff liked punk and he preferred the “not give a shit” approach.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

PostSubject: Re: It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS!   It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 14, 2020 4:36 pm

Troublezone wrote:
007 wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
Gilbert wrote:

lol! I've never heard that before.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS!   It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 14, 2020 11:21 pm

007 wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
007 wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
Gilbert wrote:

lol!  I've never heard that before.

Actually, it was one of the songs. Apparently he did the song “Lights” first. Smile

In a 2005 interview with MusicDish, Belladonna was asked about the rumor that he came to the table with a JOURNEY tune during his 1985 audition for ANTHRAX. "Actually, what happened was I went into the room and they said, 'Just go on in,' and they hadn't heard me sing," he said. "They'd heard of me and they asked me to come in, but we were going in to start tracking and stuff, to get the mic set up and all that and they said, 'Let's get you in there and get you warmed up.' I hit the mic and belted out some JOURNEY… I think it was [the song] 'Lights'. I didn't know what the hell I was getting into in the first place. I just wanted to lay some vocals or something. Just to kinda give an idea and that's what happened. It wasn't really anything more than that. I just kinda belched it out. I think I did 'Oh Sherrie' [written by JOURNEY singer Steve Perry], too, or something. I dunno why, but I just did. It was something off the top of my head I could do a cappella and it was kinda challenging. I thought maybe in range or something that would be kind of intriguing. It was definitely one they weren't expecting."
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37558

PostSubject: Re: It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS!   It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 19, 2020 9:28 am

Britny Fox was not a bad band, they just had a terrible singer (Dizzy Dean Davidson)

Tommy Paris (singer on 3rd album Bite Down Hard) was an upgrade, but he arrived too late to do them any good.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12528

PostSubject: Re: It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS!   It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 19, 2020 9:37 am

Most of the 80's pop metal bands that didn't make it big had better singers than the bands that were huge. One example, Baton Rouge vs. Poison

The exception being Sebastian, (IMHDO) nobody sang like him back then.

Metal is Forever
Gilbert

PostSubject: Re: It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS!   It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 19, 2020 11:22 am

James B. wrote:
Most of the 80's pop metal bands that didn't make it big had better singers than the bands that were huge. One example, Baton Rouge vs. Poison

The exception being Sebastian, (IMHDO) nobody sang like him back then.

Baton Rouge is a band that has been on my list for a long time.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS!   It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 25, 2020 5:44 pm

Why is Holy Soldier's 1st album hailed as some kind of long lost classic? It's terrible.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6305

PostSubject: Re: It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS!   It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 25, 2020 5:55 pm

Gilbert wrote:
I have some trouble with Anthrax outside of Spreading the Disease.

Gung-Ho, Medusa are both masterpieces. And the weird thing is that I really, really like John Bush. Armored Saint is a great band. But I don't "get" the Bush era Anthrax. And even Among the Living is a little too "simple". The gang shouts and the mosh breaks. Thrash metal by numbers type of thing. Though I can't help that it's got great energy.

But musically, Spreading the Disease is closer to what I consider "awesome shit". I like it better than any Metallica album. Right up there with Rust in Peace and Reign in Blood as the best Big Four thrash metal album. Could just be my experience, but to me it rules. Aggression, catchy songs, a great vocalist, what's there not to like, right?
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS!   It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 26, 2020 8:09 am

Anthrax has always been a hit-or-miss band, and at this point the "misses" outnumber the "hits" by a wide margin.

Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

PostSubject: Re: It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS!   It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 26, 2020 8:21 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
Anthrax has always been a hit-or-miss band, and at this point the "misses" outnumber the "hits" by a wide margin.

Well said FF. That's what i meant.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS!   It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 06, 2020 12:35 am

I like Dance of Death more than Brave New World.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

PostSubject: Re: It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS!   It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 06, 2020 5:00 am

Troublezone wrote:

I need to give Dance Of Death a proper listen.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS!   It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 06, 2020 5:16 am

Gilbert wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

I need to give Dance Of Death a proper listen.

I waited forever to get it. Just like the Tony Martin Sabbath albums...

I think it might be Maiden’s heaviest guitar sound. “Face in the Sand” is one of my new favorites! The title track is epic too.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS!   It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 06, 2020 8:57 am

The bulk of Slayer's post-Seasons in the Abyss catalog is pretty much "if you've heard one, you've heard'em all"

Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS!   It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 06, 2020 2:30 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
The bulk of Slayer's post-Seasons in the Abyss catalog is pretty much "if you've heard one, you've heard'em all"

I agree. There’s still a bit of the Slayer “charm” on Divine Intervention, but Kerry’s songwriting and Tom’s vocals definitely became stagnant. Even Hanneman’s influence went downhill with Diabolus in Musica.

I’ve always felt that Seasons in the Abyss was their best effort! It combined everything I liked about Reign in Blood and South of Heaven together.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

PostSubject: Re: It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS!   It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS! - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 06, 2020 3:57 pm

Troublezone wrote:

I do as well. Dance of Death is a phenomenal album.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS!   It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS! - Page 10 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

It's that time again...for MORE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS!
Page 10 of 12Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next