Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

New Dream Theater Poll

Go down 
+7
thejokeriv
Lari
Wayne
MEGATRON
GrandNational
stormspell
DallasBlack
11 posters

New Dream Theater Poll
Black Clouds & Silver Linings
New Dream Theater Poll Vote_lcap39%New Dream Theater Poll Vote_rcap
 39% [ 7 ]
A Dramatic Turn Of Events
New Dream Theater Poll Vote_lcap61%New Dream Theater Poll Vote_rcap
 61% [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 18

AuthorMessage
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

New Dream Theater Poll Empty
PostSubject: New Dream Theater Poll   New Dream Theater Poll Icon_minitimeFri Nov 11, 2011 11:05 pm

Which of the most recent DT releases is your favorite?

The new one is good (moreso that I've had more listens) but while this took me several spins to get into it, Black Clouds & Silver Linings grabbed me at first listen and still hasn't let go. The new one, like many other DT albums seems to be more focused on being technical more than memorable (though not to the extremes of many of the other post Metropolis Pt. 2 albums). However, IMO Black Clouds & Silver Linings was a throwback to the more memorable songwriting of the pre-Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence albums. Even the nearly 20 minute Count Of Tuscany is so good you don't notice how long it is while listening to it.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
stormspell
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stormspell

Number of posts : 1593

PostSubject: Re: New Dream Theater Poll   New Dream Theater Poll Icon_minitimeFri Nov 11, 2011 11:19 pm

When Dream and Day Unite is their best album,
Images and Words is their last worth owning

That concludes this thread Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.cdbaby.com/all/stormspell
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: New Dream Theater Poll   New Dream Theater Poll Icon_minitimeFri Nov 11, 2011 11:21 pm

Black Clouds for sure
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: New Dream Theater Poll   New Dream Theater Poll Icon_minitimeFri Nov 11, 2011 11:22 pm

stormspell wrote:
When Dream and Day Unite is their best album,
Images and Words is their last worth owning

That concludes this thread Wink

Fooey on you! New Dream Theater Poll 19976
Back to top Go down
stormspell
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stormspell

PostSubject: Re: New Dream Theater Poll   New Dream Theater Poll Icon_minitimeFri Nov 11, 2011 11:37 pm

Well, put either of those up in the poll and let's see who is wrong then Wink
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: New Dream Theater Poll   New Dream Theater Poll Icon_minitimeFri Nov 11, 2011 11:45 pm

stormspell wrote:
Well, put either of those up in the poll and let's see who is wrong then Wink

Oh no doubt Images And Words is the magnum opus and the people's choice (I think Awake is slightly better though) but DT will never reach the quality of that album so it's pointless to comare all their other albums to it. Doesn't mean their other releases are worthless though.
Back to top Go down
stormspell
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stormspell

PostSubject: Re: New Dream Theater Poll   New Dream Theater Poll Icon_minitimeSat Nov 12, 2011 12:11 am

I cannot comment on their new albums. I made the mistake of buying Falling Into Infinity once, and vowed never to spend a single dime on that band ever. So as far as I'm concerned they still have two albums Wink

For some reason Awake never gelled with me.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New Dream Theater Poll   New Dream Theater Poll Icon_minitimeSat Nov 12, 2011 12:13 am

A Dramatic Turn Of Events is the first Dream Theater album I've actually really enjoyed, so it gets my vote.

The new drummer helps, at least it helps my appreciation of it.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: New Dream Theater Poll   New Dream Theater Poll Icon_minitimeSat Nov 12, 2011 12:29 am

stormspell wrote:
I cannot comment on their new albums. I made the mistake of buying Falling Into Infinity once, and vowed never to spend a single dime on that band ever. So as far as I'm concerned they still have two albums Wink

I can understand that, I seem to be one of only a handful of people who liked Falling Into Infinity (even DT themselves didn't like it).
Back to top Go down
MEGATRON
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
MEGATRON

Number of posts : 364

PostSubject: Re: New Dream Theater Poll   New Dream Theater Poll Icon_minitimeSat Nov 12, 2011 1:44 am

The new one. Black Clouds bores me.
Back to top Go down
Wayne
Metal student
Metal student
Wayne

Number of posts : 169

PostSubject: Re: New Dream Theater Poll   New Dream Theater Poll Icon_minitimeSat Nov 12, 2011 8:11 am

Voted dramatic turn of events.

Both albums are superb in my opinion but I just think the new one edged it. I seem to listen to the whole album and enjoy it as a comple package with dramatic turn of events. Black clouds has some excellent stuff on it but one or two songs drag slightly and I find myself skipping to the next track. Rite of passage is an awesome song.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: New Dream Theater Poll   New Dream Theater Poll Icon_minitimeSat Nov 12, 2011 9:25 am

The last one I bought was Inner Turbulence. What was that, close to ten years ago? I still haven't been able to digest that one.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: New Dream Theater Poll   New Dream Theater Poll Icon_minitimeSat Nov 12, 2011 10:22 am

A Dramatic Turn Of Events is by far the better album and just shows that Portnoy's influence was dragging the band down. Black Clouds is a very good album but ADTOE is much better - no cookie monster BGV's. After Portnoy left, the rest of the band really put this together as a band effort allowing all of their influences to shine though including lots of 70's prog.

Back to top Go down
Sutekh
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Sutekh

Number of posts : 1466

PostSubject: Re: New Dream Theater Poll   New Dream Theater Poll Icon_minitimeSun Nov 13, 2011 2:02 am

ADTOE is a more focused album and mercifully devoid of th aforementioned vocals.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: New Dream Theater Poll   New Dream Theater Poll Icon_minitimeSun Nov 13, 2011 2:37 am

You guys have no taste! New Dream Theater Poll 19976
Back to top Go down
Sutekh
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Sutekh

Number of posts : 1466

PostSubject: Re: New Dream Theater Poll   New Dream Theater Poll Icon_minitimeSun Nov 13, 2011 6:29 pm

Hey, I LIKED Black Clouds -it's definitely not a bad album. But I LOVE the new one -the songwriting is more focused, you can actually hear the bass, the songs have more diversity yet fit together beautifully, and every member is on top form (including Mangini, even though he wasn't involved in the writing process and just did what he was told.... but did it well!). It has a freshness in attitude that Black Clouds lacked.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: New Dream Theater Poll   New Dream Theater Poll Icon_minitimeSun Nov 13, 2011 7:33 pm

No worries, I was joking. I always tell people they have no taste when they dissagree with me. If I'm really being serious I won't include smileys.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: New Dream Theater Poll   New Dream Theater Poll Icon_minitimeSun Nov 13, 2011 10:12 pm

I appreciate the talent of the musicians and all that, but I can't listen to Dream Theater.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 15680

PostSubject: Re: New Dream Theater Poll   New Dream Theater Poll Icon_minitimeMon Nov 14, 2011 12:43 am

James B. wrote:
I appreciate the talent of the musicians and all that, but I can't listen to Dream Theater.

AMEN to that!
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: New Dream Theater Poll   New Dream Theater Poll Icon_minitimeMon Nov 14, 2011 1:36 am

The latest one for sure.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Dream Theater Poll   New Dream Theater Poll Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Dream Theater Poll
Page 1 of 1