Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Dragonforce Opinion

Go down 
+36
Grundapants
Joe
A Handful of Wayne
bassman
7thSaviour
metalhead777
Muloc7253
shamgar75
Mortuary
EvyMetal
Stender
White_Mage
tohostudios
Angelcake Adonisus Fox
spiritoradio
TheGooch
Thrasher73
kmorg
the sentinel
KissinMaiden
stepcousin
GrandNational
MetalGuy71
Olafsto
caniplaywithmadness?
ultmetal
ghost
Invader
Rex
Smindas
MoonChild
mc666
scottmitchell74
Fat Freddy
DallasBlack
40 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Dragonforce Opinion
Fan Of Their Music
Dragonforce Opinion - Page 2 Vote_lcap32%Dragonforce Opinion - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 32% [ 21 ]
They're OK
Dragonforce Opinion - Page 2 Vote_lcap31%Dragonforce Opinion - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 31% [ 20 ]
Not My Thing
Dragonforce Opinion - Page 2 Vote_lcap9%Dragonforce Opinion - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 9% [ 6 ]
Don't Particularly Care For Them
Dragonforce Opinion - Page 2 Vote_lcap17%Dragonforce Opinion - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 17% [ 11 ]
They Suck!
Dragonforce Opinion - Page 2 Vote_lcap11%Dragonforce Opinion - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 11% [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 65

AuthorMessage

Dragonforce Opinion - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dragonforce Opinion   Dragonforce Opinion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 15, 2007 8:31 pm

Dragonforce take the power metal formula to its zenith. I've always liked that, but their music lacks variation, and i can't listen to more than 4 songs consecutively before switching over to some other band, like BATHORY.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Dragonforce Opinion   Dragonforce Opinion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 16, 2007 8:55 am

When I first heard them I was absolutely blown away by the sheer speed and technical ability. I went out and bought their albums in order and have been a fan for the last couple of years. I will agree though that sometimes they get a little bit "samey" on some of the songs and there is not an immediately discernable change from song to song. Peace.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dragonforce Opinion   Dragonforce Opinion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 16, 2007 11:55 am

Yeah, I agree about the 'sameyness' but I still like them.

They are not an all time favorite, but they are up there. If I'm in the right mood, there's nothing better.

Also, even though they do have a 'similar samey' sound, there is enough variation to warrant originality. Period. They wouldn't be as big as they are today if they had no talent and lacked song structure.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: Dragonforce Opinion   Dragonforce Opinion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 16, 2007 11:58 am

Blackieboy - That's exactly how I feel. When I'm in the mood Dragonforce scratches an itch no one else can. I don't think they're the greatest, but I like how they do things. They had one of the best concerts I've seen, as well. Go figure!?!
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Dragonforce Opinion   Dragonforce Opinion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 16, 2007 1:28 pm

They do blow live though. I've seen them.

Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Dragonforce Opinion   Dragonforce Opinion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 16, 2007 7:08 pm

Rexorcist wrote:
I'd like them if every song I heard didn't sound exactly alike.

Ditto
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dragonforce Opinion   Dragonforce Opinion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 16, 2007 8:38 pm

scottmitchell74 wrote:
Blackieboy - That's exactly how I feel. When I'm in the mood Dragonforce scratches an itch no one else can. I don't think they're the greatest, but I like how they do things. They had one of the best concerts I've seen, as well. Go figure!?!

Wow, I'd love to see them live! I can tell they would rule! I think maybe some people caught them on a 'bad night' or something.

One thing I really like about this band is that they are one of the very few power metal bands that bring in an element of shred. I'm a big fan of shred metal (ala Yngwie Malmsteem, Chastain, etc), so this really is one of the things I love about them.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Dragonforce Opinion   Dragonforce Opinion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2007 9:30 am

Obviously DF are a "love or hate" kind of band. There doesn't seem to be much "in between."
As I said earlier, I don't really like'em at all, but I gotta give'em props for getting into the mainstream playing Euro-style power metal. Who would've predicted that when they first came out?
They have very dedicated/borderline obsessive fans too, by the way... When I reviewed SONIC FIRESTORM for Detritus e-zine a few years back, I wasn't very kind to it, and the day after the review appeared in the 'zine my in-box was flooded with angry e-mails from DragonForce fans. I must've gotten about three dozen of 'em. I didn't reply to any of them but I kept a couple of the particularly funny ones because the spelling in them was hilarious. Haha.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Dragonforce Opinion   Dragonforce Opinion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 21, 2007 9:59 am

I just got Valley Of The Damned yesterday used (took my totally by suprise). I am listening to it right now and I can see why most people prefer this one. Just like the other two, the melodies are out of this world but because the fastness is toned down it is easier to pick them out (I would love to hear the other two like this). As stated before, I guess I just have an ear for these things but I can totally understand other people's problems (I think they'd probably like it if it wasn't so fast). Don't get me wrong I don't think I'm a superior music listener, not at all. I don't know the first thing about the technical aspects of music. I couldn't tell you the difference between A sharp and B flat, I have no idea how to write music and I forgot how to read it (even when I took a music writing class I never fully understood it, I just memorized the material enough to pass). I just seem to pick stuff up easier than some (as far as progressive type music goes).
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

PostSubject: Re: Dragonforce Opinion   Dragonforce Opinion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 23, 2007 3:12 pm

i have seen them live and they sucked and i have inhuman rampage and is one of a few cds i wish i had never bothered to buy as there is nothing on there i find interesting
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dragonforce Opinion   Dragonforce Opinion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 23, 2007 7:45 pm

I think "Valley of the Damned" is their best album.
Back to top Go down
spiritoradio
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
spiritoradio

Number of posts : 1510

PostSubject: Re: Dragonforce Opinion   Dragonforce Opinion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 23, 2007 7:59 pm

I like them.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=507304580
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

PostSubject: Re: Dragonforce Opinion   Dragonforce Opinion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 24, 2007 8:09 am

i had a quick blast of inhuman rampage last night and that through fire and flames is still there best song. i dont know what type of music i would call them as i never considered them a power metal band (ie iced earth sort of thing)
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Dragonforce Opinion   Dragonforce Opinion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 24, 2007 8:35 am

TheGooch wrote:
i dont know what type of music i would call them as i never considered them a power metal band (ie iced earth sort of thing)

They call themselves "EXTREME power metal" (i.e. power metal played at ludicrous speed)... though I still feel the only thing extreme about 'em is how wanky they are. Smile
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

PostSubject: Re: Dragonforce Opinion   Dragonforce Opinion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 24, 2007 8:40 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
TheGooch wrote:
i dont know what type of music i would call them as i never considered them a power metal band (ie iced earth sort of thing)

They call themselves "EXTREME power metal" (i.e. power metal played at ludicrous speed)... though I still feel the only thing extreme about 'em is how wanky they are. Smile

that is exactly my thoughts fredmeister! annyhow live they sucked the songs sounded nothing like on record and the key playing the keytar was just freacking embarrassing
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Dragonforce Opinion   Dragonforce Opinion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 24, 2007 8:46 am

TheGooch wrote:

that is exactly my thoughts fredmeister! annyhow live they sucked the songs sounded nothing like on record and the key playing the keytar was just freacking embarrassing

Yea, I can't see how that band can pull that stuff off live without sounding like a mess.

I still suspect that they use a drum machine on their albums, unless their drummer is an octopus.
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

PostSubject: Re: Dragonforce Opinion   Dragonforce Opinion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 24, 2007 8:49 am

i heard the guitar work is manipulated by computer because they cant play that fast. i also remember i once heard angela gossow from arch enemy cant sing like she does on record and that her voice is computer done. whether thats true or not i dont know though
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Dragonforce Opinion   Dragonforce Opinion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 24, 2007 12:23 pm

One thing that I will readily admit, the guitar solos have no emotion in them and are very clinical. The only thing I really like about Dragonforce is the melodies (which IMO are worth all the other baggage) and if the melody was dimminished I wouldn't give these guys the time of day. As for them sucking live, I don't go to many concerts (I wish it were otherwise) and the ones I do go to I reserve for bands that are high up on my favorite list.
Back to top Go down
Angelcake Adonisus Fox
Metal student
Metal student
Angelcake Adonisus Fox

Number of posts : 162

PostSubject: Re: Dragonforce Opinion   Dragonforce Opinion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2008 11:46 pm

I'm a pretty large Dragonforce fan. It's kinda hard to call oneself a 'diehard' DF fan because they've only released three albums, but whatever.

I also love how they incorporate video game sounds into their music, as these guys are pretty big gamers (which is probably why nerds like me make up about three quarters of their fanbase. lol! )

The thing with Dragonforce is that they're extremely self-indulgent. These guys are doing the kind of music they like to hear, write the lyrics they like to write, and do the type of guitar sounds they want to make. If it's not something they like, they won't record it just because the mainstream or hardcore metal fans want it. They record it because THEY want to record it.

But then again, ALL art is self-indulgent in some way. There is no such thing as bad art, just different tastes.

So, I voted "fan".

.....Btw, I know I'm ressurecting this thread by about four months, but I love this band and wanted to chime in. So sorry humble .
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dragonforce Opinion   Dragonforce Opinion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2008 1:28 am

Since this thread was created I've picked up Inhuman Rampage, and I must say that it's pretty damn killer! Sure, it's a power metal overdose, but it's done really well, and it's wicked catchy.

I said They're OK before, but based on Inhuman Rampage, I change my vote to Fan Of Their Music.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Dragonforce Opinion   Dragonforce Opinion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2008 2:35 am

Eyesore wrote:
Since this thread was created I've picked up Inhuman Rampage, and I must say that it's pretty damn killer! Sure, it's a power metal overdose, but it's done really well, and it's wicked catchy.

I said They're OK before, but based on Inhuman Rampage, I change my vote to Fan Of Their Music.

Definatly. What I love most about them is they KNOW how to write good melodies. Say what you will about the other aspects of them, none can deny their proensety (sic) for melody.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: Dragonforce Opinion   Dragonforce Opinion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2008 8:08 am

Still love 'em and don't care who knows!!

Strangly contrary to most opinions, I thought they were great live and pulled off the songs nicely.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Dragonforce Opinion   Dragonforce Opinion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2008 8:41 am

I voted Not My Thing.

I agree with the "every song sounds the same" camp. If they varied the tempo once in awhile, I'd like them more. It's like "OK, we get it guys. You can play really fast; you guys are technical wizards. Now how about putting some feeling into a song."

Metal master
Metal master
White_Mage

Number of posts : 535

PostSubject: Re: Dragonforce Opinion   Dragonforce Opinion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2008 8:26 pm

I voted "Don't Particularly Care For Them"

I really liked them when I first heard them but eventually the novelty of them wore off

the truth is they edit and layer the crap outta there songs thats why they sound good on record but not live. it's too bad for them that the secrets out because there was a time when they were considered the fastest guitarists on earth
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: Dragonforce Opinion   Dragonforce Opinion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2008 9:55 pm

Okay, I wont say that every song sounds the same (even though thats fairly the truth) because I think thats been well established. One thing is that there material is very hooky which has me coming back for more despite the originality issues. When they came out back in 1999 They were new and innovative but I have to say their charm has worn off. This band is great and I will still listen to them but it just pisses me off how a powermetal band has become so popular with the public and general non-metal listening majority when I can think of at least 5 other powermetal bands that deserve to be on "Guitar Hero III" then them. Its stupid to because the thing is, Dragonforce will be the only power metal band to ever see a song on a Guitar hero game. The only band that has a possibility at that would maybe be Cellador. Half the people that call themselves DF fans dont even know what powermetal is! Whats the world coming too, one of the least trendy genres of music is becoming poplurized by this band Dragonforce. Next thing you know Herman Lee is going to be wearing Hollister California clothing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dragonforce Opinion   Dragonforce Opinion - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dragonforce Opinion
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next