Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Is the retro thrash revival over?

Go down 
+17
CRIMSONMASK
MetalGuy71
Shawn Of Fire
Witchfinder
Lari
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
Troublezone
Thrasher73
Required Fields
Boris2008
nevermore
Dark Horseman
Fat Freddy
Gilbert
Temple of Blood
John Madden
21 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

Is the retro thrash revival over? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is the retro thrash revival over?   Is the retro thrash revival over? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 12, 2018 3:53 pm

I think the main problem with the young retro bands is that most of them are not good at songwriting like the originals. Some of them are excellent musicians, but that doesn't mean anything if the songs are generic.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Is the retro thrash revival over?   Is the retro thrash revival over? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 12, 2018 4:14 pm

Troublezone wrote:
I think the main problem with the young retro bands is that most of them are not good at songwriting like the originals. Some of them are excellent musicians, but that doesn't mean anything if the songs are generic.

I couldn't agree more!

Songwriting is the #1 most important skill and the one discussed and emphasized the least in metal circles.

I am glad however that young musicians can actually play nowadays. In the 90s it seemed like no one could play an instrument decently any more.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Is the retro thrash revival over?   Is the retro thrash revival over? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 12, 2018 4:33 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

I couldn't agree more!  

Songwriting is the #1 most important skill and the one discussed and emphasized the least in metal circles.  

I am glad however that young musicians can actually play nowadays.  In the 90s it seemed like no one could play an instrument decently any more.

It was bound to happen sooner or later...

Last edited by Troublezone on Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28438

PostSubject: Re: Is the retro thrash revival over?   Is the retro thrash revival over? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 12, 2018 10:04 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
The hype was driven by big labels and the audience gravitated to the wrong bands, for the most part.  I'd be hard-pressed to name 10 retro thrash band songs that I enjoy, but I could probably do it.

Masquerader is brilliant technical thrash though.  Like some of the best modern bands, they broke up too soon and got virtually no recognition.

I'll have to check them out. This slipped my radar.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9885

PostSubject: Re: Is the retro thrash revival over?   Is the retro thrash revival over? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 12, 2018 10:53 pm

Suicidal angels and dust bolt are too top thrash metal bands from the new era. Still love to buy their releases.
Back to top Go down
CRIMSONMASK
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
CRIMSONMASK

Number of posts : 349

PostSubject: Re: Is the retro thrash revival over?   Is the retro thrash revival over? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 13, 2018 11:05 am

Not by a damn sight
Back to top Go down
anthrax_fan
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
anthrax_fan

Number of posts : 442

PostSubject: Re: Is the retro thrash revival over?   Is the retro thrash revival over? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 14, 2018 9:41 pm

I think it´s going strong . At least here where I live (this lost S.A. country , with the strongest Metal Scene of the entire 3rd World) 80´s Thrash and Heavy Metal are what´s really "in" for the youth . They even try to use the cheesy 80´s looks on their clothes , make ups and hair .

Here from our "jungle" , I´d like to recommend Woslom , Nervosa and Violator , really great stuff from this field
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37645

PostSubject: Re: Is the retro thrash revival over?   Is the retro thrash revival over? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 14, 2018 9:43 pm

Quote :
Woslom

I have their Time To Rise album ... it's badass headbanger

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
anthrax_fan
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
anthrax_fan

PostSubject: Re: Is the retro thrash revival over?   Is the retro thrash revival over? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 14, 2018 9:44 pm

These bands are the ones who will keep Metal alive in the future . They must be cherished , not dismissed . I am personally a big fan of Suicidal Angels and Havok .
Back to top Go down
Wrecked Neck
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

Number of posts : 2654

PostSubject: Re: Is the retro thrash revival over?   Is the retro thrash revival over? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 15, 2018 4:09 am

anthrax_fan wrote:
These bands are the ones who will keep Metal alive in the future . They must be cherished , not dismissed . I am personally a big fan of Suicidal Angels and Havok .
suicidal angels are awesome! Been really digging their sound a lot lately. Them and Destroye666 along with power trip are some of my favorite newish bands out there right now.

Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3892

PostSubject: Re: Is the retro thrash revival over?   Is the retro thrash revival over? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 21, 2018 5:31 pm

I wouldn't say it is over, just slowed down a bit.
Avenger of Blood are still a band but we are still sorta on break. The guys are writing but we aren't rushing anything. We are also going back to the thrash sound we are more known for. I still have yet to get the sound and energy I want out of this band but I believe we are finally going to have that. So far there is a bit more melody but its also faster and more angry in many ways. One song we are working on is a very melodic instrumental with a LOT of feeling in it. Even I am still in amazement over it!

There are still new thrash bands out there and new ones pop up but I think that its finally mellowing out and not a fashion statement anymore.
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

PostSubject: Re: Is the retro thrash revival over?   Is the retro thrash revival over? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 21, 2018 6:23 pm

Lurideath wrote:
Avenger of Blood are still a band but we are still sorta on break. The guys are writing but we aren't rushing anything. We are also going back to the thrash sound we are more known for..

Was gonna ask you about this Shannon. You FB has not been updated in a year. Glad to hear there is still a lot of juice left in AoB!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3892

PostSubject: Re: Is the retro thrash revival over?   Is the retro thrash revival over? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 21, 2018 6:41 pm

[quote="Was gonna ask you about this Shannon.  You FB has not been updated in a year.  Glad to hear there is still a lot of juice left in AoB!!!!!!
[/quote]

Yeah man it is tough to update when there is really nothing happening. Well I mean things are, but at a snails pace. I don't want to get hopes up or anything. I just don't want to rush anything. This band has been my life for 15 years and although it has gone through all sorts of hell, I still just want one damn album where I am finally happy. But we are doing another full length album and a covers EP. Beyond that, I want to put it to rest. But I still have unfinished business with it meaning these 2 releases.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12618

PostSubject: Re: Is the retro thrash revival over?   Is the retro thrash revival over? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 22, 2018 8:59 am

Hatchet just released a pretty decent album

Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Is the retro thrash revival over?   Is the retro thrash revival over? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 22, 2018 9:45 am

The band Power Trip is pretty good.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

PostSubject: Re: Is the retro thrash revival over?   Is the retro thrash revival over? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 22, 2018 7:50 pm

Lurideath wrote:

This.

However, I don't think it will ever go through the phase it did around the mid 1990s ever again. Back then, it was virtually impossible to find new bands playing thrash metal, even on extreme metal oriented labels. Nearly every thrash metal band had either split up or changed their sound.

So the "retro thrash" movement had to happen. I was wondering, when I was getting into so many thrash metal bands why there were no new bands who sounded like that coming out.

While I most definitely prefer the 80s and early 90s thrash, a lot of the retro thrash stuff is quite good, too.
Back to top Go down
anthrax_fan
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
anthrax_fan

PostSubject: Re: Is the retro thrash revival over?   Is the retro thrash revival over? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 22, 2018 11:25 pm

It certainly mellowed a little , but I don´t think it´s "over" . What seems to be strong among metalheads these days is the so called "new wave of traditional Heavy Metal" .
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

PostSubject: Re: Is the retro thrash revival over?   Is the retro thrash revival over? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 22, 2018 11:46 pm

Troublezone wrote:
The band Power Trip is pretty good.

Quoted for truth.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9885

PostSubject: Re: Is the retro thrash revival over?   Is the retro thrash revival over? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2018 1:41 am

Dust Bolt are awesome as well. Furious thrash metal assault.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is the retro thrash revival over?   Is the retro thrash revival over? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Is the retro thrash revival over?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2