Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The recent revival of rap rock/metal

Go down 
+10
Eyesore
martinsane
Required Fields
Thrasher73
DallasBlack
nevermore
MetalGuy71
Boris2008
Fat Freddy
Troublezone
14 posters
AuthorMessage
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

The recent revival of rap rock/metal Empty
PostSubject: The recent revival of rap rock/metal   The recent revival of rap rock/metal Icon_minitimeMon Feb 04, 2019 12:31 pm

I never was a huge fan of the genre, but I did like some of it. Aside from Ice T’s long running Body Count group, I’ve noticed that recently there has been new supergroup collaborations such as:

Prophets of Rage - feat members of Rage Against the Machine, B-Real from Cypress Hill and Chuck D from Public Enemy.

Powerflo - Christian from Fear Factory, Sen Dog from Cypress Hill and Billy from Biohazard.

Fragile Mortals - Darryl “DMC” McDaniels and Rob Dukes from Exodus.

Any fans or thoughts?
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37645

PostSubject: Re: The recent revival of rap rock/metal   The recent revival of rap rock/metal Icon_minitimeMon Feb 04, 2019 1:18 pm

Not familiar with any of the above mentioned except Body Count (shrugs)

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: The recent revival of rap rock/metal   The recent revival of rap rock/metal Icon_minitimeMon Feb 04, 2019 3:38 pm

Huge fan of Public Enemy and Cypress Hill so that makes me kind of like PoR but they aren't as good as they should be.

Last edited by Boris2008 on Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: The recent revival of rap rock/metal   The recent revival of rap rock/metal Icon_minitimeMon Feb 04, 2019 4:17 pm

I didn't listen to the first wave of rap/rock much, so I don't figure I'd listen to this one either.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25863

PostSubject: Re: The recent revival of rap rock/metal   The recent revival of rap rock/metal Icon_minitimeMon Feb 04, 2019 9:29 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:

Same here
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: The recent revival of rap rock/metal   The recent revival of rap rock/metal Icon_minitimeMon Feb 04, 2019 11:06 pm

I like some rap/rock, but too much of it wears thin. It's best when mixed with actual singing.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: The recent revival of rap rock/metal   The recent revival of rap rock/metal Icon_minitimeTue Feb 05, 2019 4:40 am

Didn’t realize it was making a comeback. Glad I’m out of the loop. Haha!
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28438

PostSubject: Re: The recent revival of rap rock/metal   The recent revival of rap rock/metal Icon_minitimeFri Mar 08, 2019 4:55 pm

Thrasher73 wrote:
Didn’t realize it was making a comeback. Glad I’m out of the loop. Haha!

Well, it's not in the mainstream, and it hasn't been in about 15 years or so.

After the movement died off in popularity, however, several bands in the style remained together. While some of the bands moved away from their original sound and replaced the rapping with sung vocals, some of them continued to perform in the style. (Some probably would have moved away from the sound even if it remained hugely popular.) Many bands continued to perform it. New bands, even.

The new bands in the style, however, are not exactly mainstream (then again, rock in general is pretty much out of the mainstream in the 2010s). These bands just happen to play it because they love that kind of music.

Last edited by Required Fields on Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:04 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
martinsane
Metal master
Metal master
martinsane

Number of posts : 924

PostSubject: Re: The recent revival of rap rock/metal   The recent revival of rap rock/metal Icon_minitimeFri Mar 08, 2019 10:50 pm

Reading through this makes me think of bands like Linkin Park or Zebrahead or even 311.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28438

PostSubject: Re: The recent revival of rap rock/metal   The recent revival of rap rock/metal Icon_minitimeFri Mar 08, 2019 10:52 pm

Funny you mention that, as my cousin used to play in a band whom sounded kind of like 311 to me.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: The recent revival of rap rock/metal   The recent revival of rap rock/metal Icon_minitimeFri Mar 08, 2019 11:51 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
Huge fan of Public Enemy and Cypress Hill so that makes me kind of like PoR but they aren't as good as they should be.

Because Chuck D's monotonous vocals are boooooooooooooooring! Prophets of Rage would be so much better with just B-Real on vocals.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: The recent revival of rap rock/metal   The recent revival of rap rock/metal Icon_minitimeSat Mar 09, 2019 12:01 am

Troublezone wrote:
I never was a huge fan of the genre, but I did like some of it. Aside from Ice T’s long running Body Count group, I’ve noticed that recently there has been new supergroup collaborations such as:

Prophets of Rage - feat members of Rage Against the Machine, B-Real from Cypress Hill and Chuck D from Public Enemy.

Powerflo - Christian from Fear Factory, Sen Dog from Cypress Hill and Billy from Biohazard.

Fragile Mortals - Darryl “DMC” McDaniels and Rob Dukes from Exodus.

Any fans or thoughts?

I love this style of music, always have. Run DMC was doing this stuff on their first album, way back in 1984. Anyway, can't say there's been any kind of revival; it's just that those groups you mentioned have more famous members so they're in the spotlight a bit more than other groups.

Here's some new stuff I really dig:

Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9885

PostSubject: Re: The recent revival of rap rock/metal   The recent revival of rap rock/metal Icon_minitimeSat Mar 09, 2019 1:13 am

nevermore wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

Same here

I only own two body count cds. I particularly love a song called necessary evil. Other than that... Mehhh:

Back to top Go down
John Madden
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
John Madden

Number of posts : 272

PostSubject: Re: The recent revival of rap rock/metal   The recent revival of rap rock/metal Icon_minitimeSat Mar 09, 2019 8:13 am

It's just---rap with guitars.Not metal in the slightest,because it adds a foreign element that makes it not metal.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: The recent revival of rap rock/metal   The recent revival of rap rock/metal Icon_minitimeSat Mar 09, 2019 10:15 am

John Madden wrote:
It's just---rap with guitars.Not metal in the slightest,because it adds a foreign element that makes it not metal.

The "not metal" argument is so tired. Those two songs I posted above, for instance, are fucking METAL. You can argue it all day long, but the term "metal" has been an umbrella term for decades now, under which countless sub-genres of metal reside.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12618

PostSubject: Re: The recent revival of rap rock/metal   The recent revival of rap rock/metal Icon_minitimeSat Mar 09, 2019 11:47 am

If one guy thinks it's headbanger it's headbanger
If another thinks it's not headbanger it's not headbanger
subjectivity always wins, yet some like to strut on the fence board and crow

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS

Number of posts : 2998

PostSubject: Re: The recent revival of rap rock/metal   The recent revival of rap rock/metal Icon_minitimeSat Mar 09, 2019 12:19 pm

That Backwordz is decent. Eliminate the opening rap and just sing like he does and it would be more than decent.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: The recent revival of rap rock/metal   The recent revival of rap rock/metal Icon_minitimeSat Mar 09, 2019 3:04 pm

UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS wrote:
That Backwordz is decent.  Eliminate the opening rap and just sing like he does and it would be more than decent.

That opening rap is just part of the video, it's not on the album.

That guy is SO political. I had to unlike the band's page on Facebook because it was just a bunch of crazy over-the-top posts. So tiring! Haha.
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

PostSubject: Re: The recent revival of rap rock/metal   The recent revival of rap rock/metal Icon_minitimeSat Mar 09, 2019 3:52 pm

Eyesore wrote:
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS wrote:
That Backwordz is decent.  Eliminate the opening rap and just sing like he does and it would be more than decent.

That opening rap is just part of the video, it's not on the album.

That guy is SO political. I had to unlike the band's page on Facebook because it was just a bunch of crazy over-the-top posts. So tiring! Haha.

Sounds right up my alley! Are you trying to sell me on these guys, Ken? haha
Back to top Go down
John Madden
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
John Madden

Number of posts : 272

PostSubject: Re: The recent revival of rap rock/metal   The recent revival of rap rock/metal Icon_minitimeSun Mar 10, 2019 10:32 am

Eyesore wrote:
John Madden wrote:

The "not metal" argument is so tired. Those two songs I posted above, for instance, are fucking METAL. You can argue it all day long, but the term "metal" has been an umbrella term for decades now, under which countless sub-genres of metal reside.
That's just like your opinion, man
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12618

PostSubject: Re: The recent revival of rap rock/metal   The recent revival of rap rock/metal Icon_minitimeSun Mar 10, 2019 10:59 am

Someone's mom and dad must have put the router back in the basement Laughing very hard

PostSubject: Re: The recent revival of rap rock/metal   The recent revival of rap rock/metal Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The recent revival of rap rock/metal
Page 1 of 1