Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Favorite Savatage Album

Go down 
+25
James B.
Sutekh
jettafiend
Wurthless
qmetal
MetalGuy71
Troublezone
Fat Freddy
Tall Tyrion
Olafsto
Invader
kmorg
mc666
spiritoradio
Thrasher73
7thSecond
KissinMaiden
the sentinel
Required Fields
Temple of Blood
krokus
MoonChild
Smindas
DallasBlack
29 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Favorite Savatage Album
Sirens
Favorite Savatage Album - Page 2 Vote_lcap14%Favorite Savatage Album - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 14% [ 7 ]
Dungeons Are Calling
Favorite Savatage Album - Page 2 Vote_lcap8%Favorite Savatage Album - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 8% [ 4 ]
Power Of The Night
Favorite Savatage Album - Page 2 Vote_lcap2%Favorite Savatage Album - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 2% [ 1 ]
Fight For The Rock
Favorite Savatage Album - Page 2 Vote_lcap0%Favorite Savatage Album - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Hall Of The Mountain King
Favorite Savatage Album - Page 2 Vote_lcap26%Favorite Savatage Album - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 26% [ 13 ]
Gutter Ballet
Favorite Savatage Album - Page 2 Vote_lcap16%Favorite Savatage Album - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 16% [ 8 ]
Streets: A Rock Opera
Favorite Savatage Album - Page 2 Vote_lcap6%Favorite Savatage Album - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 6% [ 3 ]
Edge Of Thorns
Favorite Savatage Album - Page 2 Vote_lcap12%Favorite Savatage Album - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 12% [ 6 ]
Handful Of Rain
Favorite Savatage Album - Page 2 Vote_lcap4%Favorite Savatage Album - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 4% [ 2 ]
Dead Winter Dead
Favorite Savatage Album - Page 2 Vote_lcap2%Favorite Savatage Album - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 2% [ 1 ]
The Wake Of Magellan
Favorite Savatage Album - Page 2 Vote_lcap10%Favorite Savatage Album - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 10% [ 5 ]
Poets And Madmen
Favorite Savatage Album - Page 2 Vote_lcap0%Favorite Savatage Album - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 50

AuthorMessage
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

Favorite Savatage Album - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Savatage Album   Favorite Savatage Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2007 9:54 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
Streets: A Rock Opera for me... when I first bought that I played it so much that I wore out the cassette in less than a year.

Though all Savatage is good Savatage in my book (with the possible exception of FIGHT FOR THE ROCK anyway)

I had the same problem with the CD (I know that seems impossible). I ended up having to get a new copy after 10 years because the new one's volume got lower and there was a constant clicking when it played.

I actually like some of the Fight For The Rock songs (although it is my least favorite). HOTMK, EOT, DWD, Streets, WOM, and Gutter Ballet are some of my favorite albums of ALL time (Steets is second to Edge Of Thorns in the Savatage catalog).
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Savatage Album   Favorite Savatage Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2007 9:58 am

DallasBlack wrote:
I actually like some of the Fight For The Rock songs (although it is my least favorite). HOTMK, EOT, DWD, Streets, WOM, and Gutter Ballet are some of my favorite albums of ALL time (Steets is second to Edge Of Thorns in the Savatage catalog).

Fight for the Rock is just an "OK" album in my book. It's got a few good songs ("Hyde" is awesome!) but it pales in comparison to the rest of the Savatage catalog. It's the only Sava-album that I haven't gotten round to upgrading to CD yet even after all these years... I still have it on vinyl!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Savatage Album   Favorite Savatage Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2007 12:25 pm

Nice. HotMK is kicking azz.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Savatage Album   Favorite Savatage Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2007 1:17 pm

blackieboy wrote:

I figured it would, after all it is a classic.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Savatage Album   Favorite Savatage Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2007 1:21 pm

Quote :
Fight for the Rock is just an "OK" album in my book. It's got a few good songs ("Hyde" is awesome!) but it pales in comparison to the rest of the Savatage catalog.

Nice post. I like a bunch of the songs as well. The biggest problem is, that it's not what the band wanted. they hated that album, and still seem to.
Back to top Go down
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Number of posts : 3367

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Savatage Album   Favorite Savatage Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2007 10:57 pm

It's pretty well known that FFTR was done the way it was due to label pressure to have a "hit". It's got some good songs anyways, it's just out of character with the rest of their catalogue.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Savatage Album   Favorite Savatage Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2007 8:29 am

DallasBlack wrote:
blackieboy wrote:

I figured it would, after all it is a classic.

Yep.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Savatage Album   Favorite Savatage Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2007 10:35 am

Tall Tyrion wrote:
It's pretty well known that FFTR was done the way it was due to label pressure to have a "hit". It's got some good songs anyways, it's just out of character with the rest of their catalogue.

FFTR came out the same year as another "out of character" album for a metal band, i.e. Raven's THE PACK IS BACK, and it was even on the same label (Atlantic)... I guess the label wanted all their metal guys to "go cheese" that year Wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Savatage Album   Favorite Savatage Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2007 6:20 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Tall Tyrion wrote:

FFTR came out the same year as another "out of character" album for a metal band, i.e. Raven's THE PACK IS BACK, and it was even on the same label (Atlantic)... I guess the label wanted all their metal guys to "go cheese" that year Wink

Well, it was the 80s. Cheese reigned supreme.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Savatage Album   Favorite Savatage Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2007 6:26 pm

Fight For The Rock has some great songs, but some turds as well. I can't stand "Day After Day."
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Savatage Album   Favorite Savatage Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2007 6:32 pm

Well it's Sirens for me all the way as # 1, however the rest of the albums are truely enjoyable,
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Savatage Album   Favorite Savatage Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2007 9:44 pm

I voted for "Hall..." only because that's the 1st one I've owned and consequently the one I tend to listen to most often. "Power of the Night" was a close second.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Savatage Album   Favorite Savatage Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 10, 2007 11:31 am

Fight For the Rock is their worst, I agree. Also, Fat Freddy, Judas Priest did Turbo that year, another attempt at blatant commerciality.

HOTMK is my favorite, followed by Sirens, then The Dungeons Are Calling, and then Gutter Ballet. As far as Power of the Night goes, it has a couple of the best Savatage songs ever (the title track and "Warriors"), but then, there are one or two songs that served as a bad omen (that they could be heading in the direction they headed on with FFTR), and are among the worst songs they ever did.

Believe it or not, I once came across someone who said that Fight For the Rock was the best Savatage album.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Savatage Album   Favorite Savatage Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 23, 2007 3:28 pm

Weird...it's like deja vu...all over again. surprised
Back to top Go down
qmetal
Metal novice
Metal novice

Number of posts : 1

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Savatage Album   Favorite Savatage Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 15, 2013 7:42 pm

These are about to tie each other (order by date of release):
Hall Of The Mountain King - kind of original metal songs should be
Gutter Ballet - love the melody and the great ballads of the band lie on this one
Edge Of Thorns - great vocals combined with heavier modern riffs
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Savatage Album   Favorite Savatage Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 15, 2013 8:02 pm

mc666 wrote:
Dungeons , hands down. Sirens comes in at a close second!

Ditto for me.
Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5067

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Savatage Album   Favorite Savatage Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 15, 2013 11:02 pm

Gutter Ballet's always been my favorite, with Dungeons coming in a (very) close second. Another one I really enjoy is Edge of Thorns; I've always felt that one holds up really well with the Jon Oliva-fronted material.
Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

Number of posts : 1137

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Savatage Album   Favorite Savatage Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 16, 2013 12:19 am

Hands down and no comparison is "Handful of Rain". That is one of those blind buys based on the album art in a discount bin back in highschool. I still play that album quite a bit. For a second choice I would go with "Edge of Thorns."
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40553

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Savatage Album   Favorite Savatage Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 16, 2013 9:40 am

Hall Of The Mountain King for me. Sirens and Dungeons are both phenomenal as well but Hall was my first Savatage and it just resonates for me.
Back to top Go down
Sutekh
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Sutekh

Number of posts : 1466

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Savatage Album   Favorite Savatage Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 21, 2013 3:54 am

It's a toss up between Hall and Edge for me. Whilst Sirens and Gutter Ballet are also excellent, Hall and Edge are outstanding. The only Savatage albums to not click with me are Fight and Handful.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Savatage Album   Favorite Savatage Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 25, 2013 4:14 pm

"Dungeons" is my favorite

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

Number of posts : 1635

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Savatage Album   Favorite Savatage Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 25, 2013 5:19 pm

James B. wrote:

Really? Its a great EP, but it's just an EP.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Savatage Album   Favorite Savatage Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 25, 2013 5:56 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
James B. wrote:

Really? Its a great EP, but it's just an EP.

The poll gave it as an option. It is also a great somg, but it's just a song too.

To answer the question as you posed it, favorite "album" ?

I'd probably say "Sirens"

I dig all the albums they did, even "Fight For The Rock" The two cover tunes on that album were pretty obscure bands to cover at that particular time and place. IMHDO

The O' Neil albums changed the dynmaic of the band and I was a fan before. So that is why I dig the more straight forward "metal" stylings found on the debut, the EP and the first major label release. I dig the change found on the O' Neil albums and the change when Zak joined as well.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

Number of posts : 1064

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Savatage Album   Favorite Savatage Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 26, 2013 4:49 am

Gutter Ballet slayes everything they've done. and I'm a big fan of everything up to EoT
Back to top Go down
bass63
Metal master
Metal master
bass63

Number of posts : 882

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Savatage Album   Favorite Savatage Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 19, 2013 3:16 pm

Dead Winter Dead   headbanger
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Savatage Album   Favorite Savatage Album - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Favorite Savatage Album
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next