Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Best Track on A Pleasant Shade of Gray by Fates Warning?

Go down 
5 posters

Favorite Track?
Part I
Best Track on A Pleasant Shade of Gray by Fates Warning? Vote_lcap0%Best Track on A Pleasant Shade of Gray by Fates Warning? Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Part II
Best Track on A Pleasant Shade of Gray by Fates Warning? Vote_lcap0%Best Track on A Pleasant Shade of Gray by Fates Warning? Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Part III
 0% [ 0 ]
Part IV
 0% [ 0 ]
Part V
Best Track on A Pleasant Shade of Gray by Fates Warning? Vote_lcap50%Best Track on A Pleasant Shade of Gray by Fates Warning? Vote_rcap
 50% [ 2 ]
Part VI
 0% [ 0 ]
Part VII
Best Track on A Pleasant Shade of Gray by Fates Warning? Vote_lcap25%Best Track on A Pleasant Shade of Gray by Fates Warning? Vote_rcap
 25% [ 1 ]
Part VIII
 0% [ 0 ]
Part IX
Best Track on A Pleasant Shade of Gray by Fates Warning? Vote_lcap25%Best Track on A Pleasant Shade of Gray by Fates Warning? Vote_rcap
 25% [ 1 ]
Part X
 0% [ 0 ]
Part XI
 0% [ 0 ]
Part XII
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 4

AuthorMessage
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5067

Best Track on A Pleasant Shade of Gray by Fates Warning? Empty
PostSubject: Best Track on A Pleasant Shade of Gray by Fates Warning?   Best Track on A Pleasant Shade of Gray by Fates Warning? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2016 6:21 pm

Best Track on A Pleasant Shade of Gray by Fates Warning? 1745135

Released 22 April 1997
Recorded December, 1996 at The Carriage House, Stamford, CT

Lineup:
Ray Alder – vocals
Jim Matheos – guitar, guitar synth
Mark Zonder – drums
Joey Vera – bass
Kevin Moore – keyboards

This album is a departure from the structure and style of the previous two records, very intentionally. This album tends to be polarizing sometimes due to the excessively progressive nature, but I think it worked like a charm. It's one 53 minute song split into 12 tracks, with some recurring themes and motifs. It may be long but it's anything but boring to my ears. Some of my favorite Fates songs are from this record. It's not gonna be an album that is immediately burned into your mind, but after a few listens it should stand out as one of the most important musical works in progressive metal.

It was also recorded during the month of my birth, which is cool.

Jim Matheos has said that the genesis of A Pleasant Shade of Gray's stark departure was the similarity of the previous two albums. "I think all of our records have been drastically different with the exception of Inside Out and Parallels [...] Looking back, that might not have been such a good move. We repeated ourselves and when we stepped away from it at the end of touring with it we weren't pleased with that; so this time we've done something radically different."

The only downside to this poll is that it'll probably take a conscious listen beforehand to know which parts are which in order to reference them. My favorite track is probably the ballad-esque "Part IX". I think it's some of their best work lyrically, and it contains some of my favorite melodies on the album.

The dark and light duality of heavy and light textures, combined with the intricate technicality of the album weaves a great atmosphere. One that I don't think any fans of Alder-era Fates couldn't enjoy.

I'm curious to see the spread of opinions on this album here. I imagine it'll be all over the place.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Best Track on A Pleasant Shade of Gray by Fates Warning?   Best Track on A Pleasant Shade of Gray by Fates Warning? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2016 7:41 pm

I love this album! This is the one that made me a fan. Picking a single song off of this one is tough, though.

...... and the music inside lived up to the album cover.
Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

PostSubject: Re: Best Track on A Pleasant Shade of Gray by Fates Warning?   Best Track on A Pleasant Shade of Gray by Fates Warning? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2016 10:34 pm

chewie wrote:
I love this album! This is the one that made me a fan. Picking a single song off of this one is tough, though.

...... and the music inside lived up to the album cover.

I know what you mean. Part of me wanted to choose the outro track, as well as Part VI, or Part III. It's a phenomenal album, and one of my absolute favorites.

And the album cover totally matches the dream-like, darkened atmosphere of the music within it.
Back to top Go down
80s Metal Lady
Metal master
Metal master
80s Metal Lady

Number of posts : 896

PostSubject: Re: Best Track on A Pleasant Shade of Gray by Fates Warning?   Best Track on A Pleasant Shade of Gray by Fates Warning? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 26, 2016 12:56 am

I listened to this quite a bit and finally settled on Part V.

Does anyone know who is on the cover? At first glance I thought it was Tesla but then, looking at it more closely, I see that it isn't.
Back to top Go down
Citanul
Metal master
Metal master
Citanul

Number of posts : 657

PostSubject: Re: Best Track on A Pleasant Shade of Gray by Fates Warning?   Best Track on A Pleasant Shade of Gray by Fates Warning? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 26, 2016 1:03 am

This is my favourite Fates Warning album, and probably a strong candidate for my all-time top 10.

chewie wrote:
Picking a single song off of this one is tough, though.

As far as I know, officially it is actually only one song split into twelve parts. So picking one song would be quite easy. Very Happy

But if I had to pick one track, I'd go with Part VI - the one that starts "I know that I don't know you".
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

PostSubject: Re: Best Track on A Pleasant Shade of Gray by Fates Warning?   Best Track on A Pleasant Shade of Gray by Fates Warning? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 26, 2016 6:06 pm

Citanul wrote:
This is my favourite Fates Warning album, and probably a strong candidate for my all-time top 10.

chewie wrote:
Picking a single song off of this one is tough, though.

As far as I know, officially it is actually only one song split into twelve parts.  So picking one song would be quite easy. Very Happy

But if I had to pick one track, I'd go with Part VI - the one that starts "I know that I don't know you".

Smartass!!!! Laughing
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

PostSubject: Re: Best Track on A Pleasant Shade of Gray by Fates Warning?   Best Track on A Pleasant Shade of Gray by Fates Warning? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2016 7:12 pm

After listening to the sections on YouTube, I chose Part VII.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Best Track on A Pleasant Shade of Gray by Fates Warning?   Best Track on A Pleasant Shade of Gray by Fates Warning? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2016 1:54 pm

I like the ending best, you know when it was over. Laughing very hard

Metal is Forever
Wurthless

PostSubject: Re: Best Track on A Pleasant Shade of Gray by Fates Warning?   Best Track on A Pleasant Shade of Gray by Fates Warning? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2016 4:06 pm

James B. wrote:
I like the ending best, you know when it was over. Laughing very hard

Best Track on A Pleasant Shade of Gray by Fates Warning? 19976

Laughing
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

PostSubject: Re: Best Track on A Pleasant Shade of Gray by Fates Warning?   Best Track on A Pleasant Shade of Gray by Fates Warning? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2016 8:34 pm

Wurthless, when's the next one?

Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

PostSubject: Re: Best Track on A Pleasant Shade of Gray by Fates Warning?   Best Track on A Pleasant Shade of Gray by Fates Warning? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 02, 2016 1:30 pm

I've been away from the computer for a few days, I'll have the next poll up as soon as I can.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best Track on A Pleasant Shade of Gray by Fates Warning?   Best Track on A Pleasant Shade of Gray by Fates Warning? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Best Track on A Pleasant Shade of Gray by Fates Warning?
Page 1 of 1