Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Queensryche VS Fates Warning

Go down 
+30
bgsully
Dave the Boss
kropotkin
TheUnborn
bassman
TheGreatDuck
Temple of Blood
MetalGuy71
Leatherface
Gilbert
Boris2008
James B.
MoonChild
BearOnUnicycle
Citanul
Thrasher73
mc666
glassprison
thejokeriv
Required Fields
Witchfinder
Glower
DallasBlack
Lari
Shawn Of Fire
Fat Freddy
MetallicSeminarian
corplhicks
ze_mau
34 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Which one?
Fates Warning
Queensryche VS Fates Warning Vote_lcap46%Queensryche VS Fates Warning Vote_rcap
 46% [ 16 ]
Queensryche
Queensryche VS Fates Warning Vote_lcap54%Queensryche VS Fates Warning Vote_rcap
 54% [ 19 ]
Total Votes : 35

AuthorMessage
ze_mau
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ze_mau

Number of posts : 280

Queensryche VS Fates Warning Empty
PostSubject: Queensryche VS Fates Warning   Queensryche VS Fates Warning Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2014 7:23 pm

Which one do you prefer. I have a lot of respect for Queensryche up to "Empire" but I think after that they suck bad. whereas FW IMO has only one weak album wich is "Pleasent Shade of Grey" so to me Fates Warning is far superior to Queensryche. both singers of FW are better than Geoff Tate ( opinion ).
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Queensryche VS Fates Warning   Queensryche VS Fates Warning Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2014 7:25 pm

surprised surprised surprised surprised surprised surprised surprised surprised surprised surprised surprised surprised surprised surprised surprised surprised surprised surprised surprised surprised surprised surprised surprised surprised surprised surprised surprised surprised surprised surprised surprised surprised surprised surprised surprised surprised surprised surprised surprised surprised surprised surprised surprised surprised surprised surprised surprised 
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

PostSubject: Re: Queensryche VS Fates Warning   Queensryche VS Fates Warning Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2014 7:29 pm

Not a huge fan of the Ryche. But I don't think I've ever listened to Fates Warning.
Back to top Go down
ze_mau
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ze_mau

PostSubject: Re: Queensryche VS Fates Warning   Queensryche VS Fates Warning Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2014 7:32 pm

... these bands are often compared one to another because to many they are the "fathers of prog metal". I think Christ De Garmo is a better guitarrist than Jim Matheos technically speaking , but I think FW is much more creative than Ryche. just put Empire and Inside Out side by side. 2 "soft metal" albums I really enjoy.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37656

PostSubject: Re: Queensryche VS Fates Warning   Queensryche VS Fates Warning Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2014 7:36 pm

Never got what all the whoopy doo was about Fates Warning. Even back in the day I thought they were kinda "meh."
Queensryche have had a pretty spotty history post-Empire, but I still like'em better than I ever liked FW.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
ze_mau
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ze_mau

PostSubject: Re: Queensryche VS Fates Warning   Queensryche VS Fates Warning Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2014 7:37 pm

I have always classified these 2 discs as "soft metal". its as soft as metal can be. In nolifetilmetal.com I see both classified either as "prog rock" or "hard rock" , but I think they are "soft metal".
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Queensryche VS Fates Warning   Queensryche VS Fates Warning Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2014 7:42 pm

Minority here. I've been pretty vocal about my distaste for FW. Ray and John are simply the worst vocalists in metal history, and the band has the creativity of a broken etch-a-sketch. QR, on the other hand, has also had a difficult history in my library. I only recently discovered the greatness of their efforts prior to Mindcrime; Mindcrime and Empire were my two favorite discs growing up but they're very difficult for me to stomach anymore (burn out, I think); everything after that is boring, but a hell of a lot better than Fates Farting. Okay, that wasn't a funny pun, but you get where I'm going.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39646

PostSubject: Re: Queensryche VS Fates Warning   Queensryche VS Fates Warning Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2014 8:06 pm

Easy call for me. Queensryche all the way. Fates Warning doesn't even come close.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Queensryche VS Fates Warning   Queensryche VS Fates Warning Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2014 8:25 pm

It depends.

Pre-1994, Queensryche....post-1994, Fates Warning.

I think both bands are great, honestly. Ray Alder is a really good singer, but never as good as Tate in his prime...although I think Alder is better now.

Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6337

PostSubject: Re: Queensryche VS Fates Warning   Queensryche VS Fates Warning Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2014 8:29 pm

I'm kind of just getting into old Fates Warning. I've been playing the Spectre Within for two months now maybe, and I have Awaken the Guardian still in the wrapping (I got it about a month ago, I just have a lot on my plate).

So for now I'd have to say Queensryche. Even with their departure from the original sound, those 80's albums are still classics.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Queensryche VS Fates Warning   Queensryche VS Fates Warning Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2014 9:08 pm

Going by early material only (I have almost nothing post Promised Land and Inside Out), I voted for Queensryche.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3178

PostSubject: Re: Queensryche VS Fates Warning   Queensryche VS Fates Warning Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2014 9:14 pm

Lady Wore Black - was incredibly huge for me - when it came out - huge -
everybody was talking about them - I wish I saw that early show - in a 500 seater -
Take Hold of The Flame - was another super classic - when it hit the stores -
People really began touting them as superstars -I never followed them -
Operation mind crime (?) - went way different - dumb concept lp - like Pink Floyd -
I always heard of Fates Warning name said - but never listened to them or bought a lp -
What's their best lp ? Maybe it would be fun to check em out on CD.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7613

PostSubject: Re: Queensryche VS Fates Warning   Queensryche VS Fates Warning Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2014 9:17 pm

I'm a fan of early Fates Warning and early Queensryche. I guess I would pick Queensryche. I haven't really paid any attention to either band since the early 90s as Progessive Metal is not really my thing.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28455

PostSubject: Re: Queensryche VS Fates Warning   Queensryche VS Fates Warning Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2014 9:21 pm

Queensrÿche released Operation: Mindcrime, probably the best album by either band, but Fates Warning's Awaken the Guardian comes incredibly close.

The top five:
1. Queensrÿche - Operation: Mindcrime
2. Fates Warning - Awaken the Guardian
3. Fates Warning - The Spectre Within
4. Queensrÿche - s/t EP (although the best track, Queen of the Reich, is better than anything from The Spectre Within)
5. Fates Warning - Night on Bröcken

Although Fates Warning never stooped to the levels of Dedicated to Chaos or Frequency Unknown, either.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

PostSubject: Re: Queensryche VS Fates Warning   Queensryche VS Fates Warning Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2014 9:43 pm

I find Mindcrime one of the most overrated albums ever.

But more power to those who enjoy it  Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Queensryche VS Fates Warning   Queensryche VS Fates Warning Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2014 10:25 pm

Queensryche... but I am a big Fate Warning fan too - prefer the Alder era Fates. Granted, Fates' put our better albums than Queensryche (post Promised Land/Inside Out).. but Queensryche had the better of the two mist recent albums (and Darkness in a different light is no slouch, one of my fave albums of 2013, after Queesnryche)
Back to top Go down
glassprison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
glassprison

Number of posts : 2959

PostSubject: Re: Queensryche VS Fates Warning   Queensryche VS Fates Warning Icon_minitimeTue Jul 08, 2014 12:00 am

At this point in their careers I would definitely say Fates Warning. The last Queensryche album I actually enjoyed was Tribe.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Queensryche VS Fates Warning   Queensryche VS Fates Warning Icon_minitimeTue Jul 08, 2014 2:13 am

Aside from Dream Theater, I don't listen to much prog anymore. However, I like more Queensryche than Fates Warning.

Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Queensryche VS Fates Warning   Queensryche VS Fates Warning Icon_minitimeTue Jul 08, 2014 3:30 am

FW for me.Never was much of a Queensryche fan.I like both Arch and Alder era FW.
Back to top Go down
Citanul
Metal master
Metal master
Citanul

Number of posts : 657

PostSubject: Re: Queensryche VS Fates Warning   Queensryche VS Fates Warning Icon_minitimeTue Jul 08, 2014 3:45 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Pre-1994, Queensryche....post-1994, Fates Warning.

That's what I would go for as well. I'd also probably say that Queensryche at their best are better than Fates Warning at their best, but Queensryche at their worst are worse than Fates Warning at their worst.

Back to top Go down
BearOnUnicycle
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

Number of posts : 1064

PostSubject: Re: Queensryche VS Fates Warning   Queensryche VS Fates Warning Icon_minitimeTue Jul 08, 2014 5:54 am

Fates easily. Much more consistent overall, much better at their peaks.
Would argue with Tate being worse than FW's singers though. Not sure about technical abilities, but both Arch and Alder sometimes tended to sound borderline annoying. Hell, Arch still does.
Back to top Go down
MoonChild
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 15680

PostSubject: Re: Queensryche VS Fates Warning   Queensryche VS Fates Warning Icon_minitimeTue Jul 08, 2014 10:09 am

Queensryche.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12633

PostSubject: Re: Queensryche VS Fates Warning   Queensryche VS Fates Warning Icon_minitimeTue Jul 08, 2014 11:06 am

I only like the first 3 Fates Warning albums and the Queensryche up till "Empire".  Being that I don't care for "Mindcrime", it makes it a tie ! 3 albums to 3 albums

Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Queensryche VS Fates Warning   Queensryche VS Fates Warning Icon_minitimeTue Jul 08, 2014 11:44 am

I've never heard Fates Warning

So Fates Warning gets my vote!  Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9889

PostSubject: Re: Queensryche VS Fates Warning   Queensryche VS Fates Warning Icon_minitimeWed Jul 09, 2014 3:45 am

I went with queensryche, mainly because I like their older material so much.

queen of the ryche is one hell of a speed metal tune.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Queensryche VS Fates Warning   Queensryche VS Fates Warning Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Queensryche VS Fates Warning
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next